TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Writers Strike 2023

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-23, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
re: Writers Strike 2023

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Would have been interesting if the strike had happened during James Corden's final week, and his show just stopped right there.
They must have planned his final show thinking there might be a strike. Otherwise, why would it not end sometime in May?
Old 05-02-23, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
They must have planned his final show thinking there might be a strike. Otherwise, why would it not end sometime in May?
He announced he was staying one more year on April 28, 2022.
Old 05-02-23, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

He announced he was staying one more year on April 28, 2022.
No, he’s talking about Corden leaving last week as opposed to this week or even a week from now. The writers contract officially expires at midnight tonight. So he must have bailed early anticipating a strike.
Old 05-02-23, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
No, he’s talking about Corden leaving last week as opposed to this week or even a week from now. The writers contract officially expires at midnight tonight. So he must have bailed early anticipating a strike.
He announced he was staying one more year on April 28, 2022 and his last show was April 27, 2023. one more year = exactly one year
Old 05-02-23, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

He announced he was staying one more year on April 28, 2022 and his last show was April 27, 2023. one more year = exactly one year
But maybe Corden announced his departure on April 28, 2022, because he knew the writiers' contract was due up in a year, and wanted to get out before the strike.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
DJariya (05-02-23), whotony (05-04-23)
Old 05-02-23, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I had a conversation with my sister many years ago and she said she enjoyed her job, but wanted more pay. I responded that EVERYONE wants more pay at their current job. Who doesn't want to be paid more? I would love a higher salary. But in the end, I evaluated the pros and cons of my career, accepted it, and I'm 100% happy.

Now, not everyone has to accept it like me. I understand, let them strike. It's their career, their choice. My opinion is to pursue a different career.
So you're basically saying that you think TV writing has hit it's cap on salary and that from now on, it's not a viable career because let's face it, who needs writers? It's not like we're talking about a dying industry like, I dunno, horse carriage drivers or something.

That being said for the Bob Hearts Abishola one, what in the world happened? I'd have assumed SAG has strict rules about series regular and whatnot, unless they were just overly generous and had to claw it back or cut costs and this was the way to to do it without getting rid of cast.
Old 05-02-23, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A somewhat relevant clip, just replace "coffee shop worker" with "TV writer."

Old 05-02-23, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
That being said, for the Bob Hearts Abishola one, what in the world happened? I'd have assumed SAG has strict rules about series regular and whatnot, unless they were just overly generous and had to claw it back or cut costs and this was the way to to do it without getting rid of cast.
From Deadline:
https://deadline.com/2023/04/bob-abi...re-1235338560/
hear the cast members of the multi-camera sitcom, produced by Warner Bros. TV, were notified this week that only Gardell and Olowofoyeku’s series-regular options for next season will be exercised. The rest were offered to continue as recurring with a five-episode guarantee.

While reducing episodic guarantees — the number of episodic fees per season to which each series regular is entitled — is becoming more common amid industrywide belt-tightening, downgrading the entire cast besides the two leads to recurring is the most dramatic talent cost-reduction move yet and a possible indication of what’s to come as linear ratings continue to slide and the networks’ push to cut license fees continues to grow.

As Bob ❤️ Abishola actors are switching from series regular to recurring, the studio is waving exclusivity, so they can take on other TV jobs while being asked to notify producers of their availability so the writers can write the scripts accordingly....

The cast episode cut follows the double-digit license-fee reduction by CBS, which accompanied the Season 5 renewal. As Deadline reported, the trim was expected to impact cast’s pay.

Ironically, Bob ❤️ Abishola is headed into its fifth season, which traditionally is the time for casts to renegotiate contracts and get raises as a broadcast series can be sold in syndication after four seasons, bringing in off-network revenue....

The actors are able to stay at their Season 4 per-episode fees for next season, but the number of episodes has been reduced dramatically...
So basically, most of the cast was "fired" as regulars, and instead offered recurring roles instead. There's some silver lining in that they're no longer "exclusive" to the show and can seek other work. But considering CBS drastically reduced what they were willing to pay for a new season, it seems like it was severely cut costs, or not have a 5th season.

I do think the whole pay for cast/crew system has to be rethought. The idea that most can't renegotiate their pay until the 5th season or so, when even a major hit show is going to likely be seeing ratings decline some, is sort of counterintuitive. I think there should be a lot more revenue sharing, so if a show is immediately successful, the cast & crew see that immediate benefit, and decisions about renewals and pay raises wouldn't be so focused on extracting as much money upfront, but instead thinking what would best enhance the overall revenue of the show going forward.
Old 05-02-23, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Serious question: Could ChatGPT write basic material for things like introductions for reality and sports shows?
I'm sure that there are many discussions about that very topic going on right now.

They could probably do an episode of something like Saturday Night Live written entirely by ChatGPT. And it might be better than if they used real writers.

But I also the the other guilds like actors and directors would strongly object to a move like that.

A lot of shows like soaps, procedurals, and sitcoms are so formulaic that entire seasons could be written by AI and nobody would notice.

Old 05-02-23, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It'd be more surreal
Old 05-02-23, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I assume Last Week Tonight is done until the strike is over. Most of their stuff is written well in advance, but they always do a brief bit of a summary of the week's news. Plus I'm sure they want to support the WGA in the most visible way possible.
Old 05-02-23, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume Last Week Tonight is done until the strike is over. Most of their stuff is written well in advance, but they always do a brief bit of a summary of the week's news. Plus I'm sure they want to support the WGA in the most visible way possible.
John Oliver was a supporter of the last writers strike. He appeared as "the President of Viacom" in this "Not the Daily Show" video from the last strike:

He also begrudgingly appeared on TDS during the strike to keep his work visa.
https://www.cc.com/video/ixq99m/the-...-on-the-strike

Now that he's a citizen, he doesn't have to stay working, so the show can go completely on halt.

Edit: It would be funny if Oliver had pre-recorded some web exclusives about the writers' strike, to be released as the strike goes on.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-04-23)
Old 05-02-23, 12:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Oliver didn't mention when the next episode would air at the end of the episode this past Sunday, like he always ends the show, so I would assume he also won't be back.
Old 05-02-23, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

I remember 15 years ago we really only had network TV and a few notable cable shows as far as home entertainment goes. Now network TV is nowhere near as popular as it was then and streaming content took off, and probably most will just think...."Oh I still have 100+ unwatched shows on Netflix, HBO Max and Hulu etc. " No one is hurting for stuff to watch now in 2023. It would take multiple lifetimes now to get caught up on everything we wanted to see.

SAG and the DGA's deals are also up next month. I saw on the news last night some guy in Hollywood who owns a store that rents out production equipment to the studios for movie and TV shoots is going to get heavily impacted by this. And he says he just barely recovered from COVID shutting down productions. He says he's been super slow for a few months because filming is down due to anticipation of the strike.

If any shows on network TV are still filming right now, they probably are just wrapping up their seasons with already completed scripts.
John Pannozzi (05-04-23)
Old 05-02-23, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It's alright guys, there's a new episode of Gutfield! on Fox News tonight.
Old 05-02-23, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

In addition to more reaity tv content being Produced if the strike goes on for quite a while,I wonder if the Major network shows will start airring Overseas Imports. Especially AUS/NZ Comedies as a lot of them already produce 20 minute episodes which would slot into broadcast tv.
Old 05-02-23, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/hou...73e828aa12daf1

House of the Dragon season 2's production won't be disrupted. The entire season was written.
Old 05-02-23, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 243 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
This is terrific news. It will allow me to catch up on all shows people are telling me I should be watching that I don't have time to. if this strike could last, like, 10 years.. I should be all caught up by then.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
But I also the the other guilds like actors and directors would strongly object to a move like that.
Speaking of which, heard that negotiations for the other guilds are coming up soon,
so more strikes might be forthcoming...
Old 05-02-23, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
In addition to more reaity tv content being Produced if the strike goes on for quite a while,I wonder if the Major network shows will start airring Overseas Imports. Especially AUS/NZ Comedies as a lot of them already produce 20 minute episodes which would slot into broadcast tv.
The CW picked up a few Canadian shows for next season that stars some notable American actors. I think it's very possible we'll see some Canadian content on some of the major networks as well.

Canada has made some good shows over the years that were shown here like Flashpoint, Motive, Private Eyes, Travelers
Old 05-02-23, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Variety posted what shows and movies are immediately impacted. This article will probably be updated when they find out more.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/tv-...73e828aa12daf1

Abbot Elementary: Season 3 writers room

Cobra Kai: Season 6 writers room

Yellowjackets: Season 3 writers room

Old 05-02-23, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by etching
Speaking of which, heard that negotiations for the other guilds are coming up soon,
so more strikes might be forthcoming...
I think that the directors guild is generally less likely to strike than the writers, and when they do they don't last as long. I think there was an actors strike that lasted a while, though.

But with our new streaming landscape, all bets are off.

Old 05-02-23, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Writers Guild of Canada told their members don’t take U.S. jobs.

No one is that stupid and be labeled a scab and get blackballed when they do reach a deal. I’m sure there are a lot of broke writers who need work and aren’t WGA, but no one would be dumb enough to cross a picket line.

One of the main sticking points is the studios want to kill the writers rooms and basically pay writers on a freelance day to day basis than actually being “staff” on a show. I agree with them that would make it impossible to live and work in Los Angeles or NY.

That would be like a staff IT guy getting his salary eliminated and only getting paid when you actually are called to fix something.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-02-23 at 03:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
John Pannozzi (05-04-23), spainlinx0 (05-03-23)
Old 05-02-23, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
So nothing but reality shows for a while? Guess I won't need to turn the TV until the strike is over.
I have zero interest in any reality shows, no thanks. Luckily I have a big backlog of unwatched shows on HBO/Showtime/Prime/Disney +, etc. that I can now catch up on. I'll miss the late night talk shows and SNL though.
John Pannozzi (05-04-23)
Old 05-02-23, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

^ That's kind of what I'm a little afraid of. In 2007, the strike really hurt the networks and left them without many alternatives for consumers besides reality TV and reruns, at what is normally peak content time. Now there's a ton of content available on demand for every home, and lots of content in the pipeline for months to come.
That, plus upcoming threats from DGA and SAG. I worry if there isn't nearly the pressure for the networks to come to the table soon and make some concessions to get a deal done this time.
I worry this will be a long, long strike.
Old 05-02-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if the networks who also have streamers ABC (Disney+), CBS (Paramount+), and NBC (Peacock) might show some older stuff from their streaming services if they can't pump out enough unscripted shows to fill the timeslots.
John Pannozzi (05-04-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.