Writers Strike 2023

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Writers Strike 2023

Old 07-24-23, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 640 Likes on 441 Posts
Re: Writers Strike 2023

Originally Posted by DJariya
Who in the entertainment industry hurt you? Where the hell is all this hostility coming from? And you just keep piling on over and over.
It's not clear who this is directed to, but if it's too me, I'm just calling out shitty studios and execs for acting shitty.

Unless you think illegal trimming of trees way too much in order to deprive picketers of some shade is... what... good? Something reasonable for a company to do? Worth it, since those studios produce movies and shows you like?

What's wrong with arguing that the studios are only going to willingly pay what they're forced to, and that workers coming together to demand better wages and compensation is a good thing?
Old 07-24-23, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,452 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's not clear who this is directed to, but if it's too me, I'm just calling out shitty studios and execs for acting shitty.

Unless you think illegal trimming of trees way too much in order to deprive picketers of some shade is... what... good? Something reasonable for a company to do? Worth it, since those studios produce movies and shows you like?

What's wrong with arguing that the studios are only going to willingly pay what they're forced to, and that workers coming together to demand better wages and compensation is a good thing?
I wasn't addressing you. I was talking about Gizmo's snarky and hostile rants over the course of the strike. For the record, I agree with every counter point you've made.
Old 07-24-23, 04:12 PM

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Are you crying over a dozen CEOs making that much? How much does Ryan Murphy make? Greg Berlanti? Phoebe Walker? Shonda Rhimes?I can keep going with writers who make ridiculous amounts of money if you like. That type of payout if OK as long as itís not a CEO? How are those boots tasting?
None of those people are just writers.
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (07-24-23)
Old 07-24-23, 04:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

They didn't have a permit. If this was something normal that happens "every year," why didn't they have a permit? Also, do you think the level they trimmed it to is actually reasonable for any season?

Like, the amount of twisting you're attempting to do to avoid admitting a studio did something illegal and immoral just to make picketing a little harder is amazing.
OMG they didnít have a permit!!!
Old 07-24-23, 04:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dex14
None of those people are just writers.
So thatís the loophole on why Ryan Murphy got 300 MILLION is because heís not just a writer? What do you think a CEO does - just one tiny thing or a multitude of things?
Old 07-24-23, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya
Who in the entertainment industry hurt you? Where the hell is all this hostility coming from? And you just keep piling on over and over.
I donít really care at the end of the day. Itís hilarious watching the mental gymnastics over those getting $1000 a day plus residuals because they want MORE when the industry itself is turning off the content faucet. Itís like Milk Men striking.
Old 07-24-23, 04:19 PM
Suspended

They now have tents and not the looming problem of a fire. I think itís a pretty big win for everyone! Iím sure theyíll enjoy the shade of the trees next Spring!
Old 07-24-23, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,870 Likes on 4,006 Posts

But maybe a ChatGPT prompt could replace your contributions to this thread, something like "post as someone with an irrational hatred for creatives trying to make a better life for themselves and others."
Challenge Accepted!

Originally Posted by AI GizmoBot
The Cynical Case Against Fairly Compensating Creative Talent

In a world that idolizes the gifted, it is time to dismantle the widespread belief that creative talent deserves fair compensation. As a misanthrope, I find myself drawn to the dark underbelly of human nature, and it is here that I unearth the roots of this controversial notion. Brace yourself for a cynical journey as I attempt to justify why artists, writers, musicians, and other creative souls should not be compensated fairly for their artistic endeavors.
  1. Supply and Demand: Artistic Overabundance In today's society, creativity runs rampant. Everyone claims to be an artist, and in the era of social media, countless individuals flood the virtual world with their creative outputs. This oversupply of creativity devalues the true essence of artistry. With the internet teeming with content, it becomes nearly impossible to distinguish exceptional talent from mediocrity. Therefore, why should we reward what is in abundance and easily attainable?
  2. Self-Expression as a Natural Urge Human beings are inherently wired to express themselves creatively. From cave paintings to the present digital age, art has been an integral part of our existence. Why should society be obliged to reward people for fulfilling a basic human instinct? To bestow wealth upon artists merely for following their impulses seems redundant, as self-expression should be its own reward.
  3. The Myth of Suffering for Art Throughout history, society has perpetuated the romanticized notion of the suffering artist. The belief that great art emerges from torment and deprivation has misled us into thinking that creators should be content with their struggle alone. In fact, the emotional catharsis derived from creating art should be sufficient compensation. Rewarding these creators financially would only undermine their supposed agony and dilute the authenticity of their work.
  4. Art as an Elitist Privilege Should art be reserved for the elite few? Providing lavish compensation to creative minds would lead to an exclusive artistic class, further exacerbating the divide between the privileged and the commoners. By keeping art within the realm of the affluent, we inadvertently deny the masses the opportunity to embrace their creative potential. After all, artistic expression should be an unattainable privilege, right?
  5. Exploiting Creative Souls Money and art have never made good bedfellows. When money becomes the prime motivator for artists, their creativity can be compromised. Artists may be coerced into producing work that caters to popular demand, rather than expressing their genuine vision. Thus, fair compensation for creative talent may lead to an erosion of authenticity, leaving the world with a flood of soulless, commercialized art.
In conclusion, while the world lauds the concept of fairly compensating creative talent, there is a bleak side to this practice that deserves recognition. As a misanthrope, I dare to question the very essence of human nature, and in doing so, challenge the status quo. Fair compensation for creative endeavors may inadvertently dilute the meaning and authenticity of art while perpetuating an elitist system. By not financially rewarding artistic expression, we encourage a more genuine, uninhibited form of creativity, free from the chains of commercialization.

Let the artists embrace their craft without the shackles of monetary gain, and we may discover an untamed, raw form of artistic expression that resonates with the very essence of human creativity.
Old 07-24-23, 04:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Decker
Challenge Accepted!
Thatís so cool! Hopefully it can replace some these writers? Seems like a great way to save some money!
Old 07-24-23, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

We next time teachers go on strike, I know whoís going to be up in arms over all the janitorial, custodial staff and bus drivers who are ďgetting shaftedĒ just so the teachers can get more money per day. Lazy for nothings too since they donít have to work 3 months out of the year!
Jay G. (07-24-23)
Old 07-24-23, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I mean we have UPS right around the corner.
Old 07-24-23, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,559 Likes on 971 Posts

I don’t really care at the end of the day. It’s hilarious watching the mental gymnastics over those getting $1000 a day plus residuals because they want MORE when the industry itself is turning off the content faucet. It’s like Milk Men striking.
Again, you understand that they don't get $1000 a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, right? ....right? Wait.....right???

Last edited by Draven; 07-24-23 at 05:44 PM.
Jay G. (07-24-23)
Old 07-24-23, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 281 Posts

No one is shipping anything anymore!
Gizmo (07-24-23)
Old 07-24-23, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 640 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Again, you understand that they don't get $1000 a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, right? ....right? Wait.....right???
If Gizmo didn't have bad faith arguments against the strike filled with misinformation, he wouldn't have any arguments at all.
Old 07-24-23, 06:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Draven
If they canít book other writing jobs after, maybe they should consider a career change. No one is forcing them into writing. Maybe they are just not very good at their job to not be in some demand? 600 scripted shows last year and canít find another writing gig? Yeeesh. Maybe the union should limit the amount of people who can be a writer? Or would that cutback on those dues they love?
Old 07-24-23, 06:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
No one is shipping anything anymore!
Plenty of others will take up what they can, but overall itís gonna be a real mess if it goes on more than a few weeks. Who cares if it destroys other businesses though. Fuck them am I right? Collateral damage all for the sake of unions, right?
Old 07-24-23, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder at what point is someone paid where Gizmo would feel an ounce of sympathy and agree that a strike is needed? Or are workers just there to be exploited with the constant fear of being replaced?
Jay G. (07-25-23)
Old 07-24-23, 06:31 PM
Suspended

If Gizmo didn't have bad faith arguments against the strike filled with misinformation, he wouldn't have any arguments at all.
Ignoring the fact that a 12 week writing gig makes them $60k, which is more than what many other people make in LA or NYC or wherever you want to say they struggle in.

go deliver Uber like everyone else if you canít find another writing gig. Shit give me 60k for 3 months of air conditioned writing! Iíve got some great spec scripts!!!!
Old 07-24-23, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,559 Likes on 971 Posts

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a freelance photographer and my day job is a video editor and producer. If I were to go freelance, I could charge $800 or more for a day rate. That is very typical in the industry. But I wouldn't make over $200,000 a year because I certainly wouldn't be able to bill that rate every single possible workday. Writers are basically working contract gigs that last for several months. Again, I could do the same as a freelance but it's a really volatile way to live. And I wouldn't even have the union protections to help.

But anything to make sure that the CEO of Netflix makes over $50 million.
Jay G. (07-25-23)
Old 07-24-23, 06:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder at what point is someone paid where Gizmo would feel an ounce of sympathy and agree that a strike is needed? Or are workers just there to be exploited with the constant fear of being replaced?
I donít agree with all of their demands, as many are incredibly laughable when streamers are all losing money. If their demands were not unreasonable Iíd have a different outlook. But hey, you do you.
Old 07-24-23, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I donít agree with all of their demands, as many are incredibly laughable when streamers are all losing money. If their demands were not unreasonable Iíd have a different outlook. But hey, you do you.
You just took your anti union spiel out on UPS as predicted, though. Are their demands laughable, because it's coming from a union?
Jay G. (07-25-23)
Old 07-24-23, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 281 Posts

Plenty of others will take up what they can, but overall itís gonna be a real mess if it goes on more than a few weeks. Who cares if it destroys other businesses though. Fuck them am I right? Collateral damage all for the sake of unions, right?
Are you not away of the vast income disparity in this country? Have you not seen executive wages skyrocket while the average worker pay has remained flat for DECADES now since Reagan made it his mission to demonize and dismantle unions?

When UPS strikes, it's because the needs of the workers are not being met in that company. I don't want to hear about "companies can't afford to pay." Yes, they actually can. Profits and executive pay have skyrocketed at the expense of the working class. This isn't a coincidence. You love that stupid line about going to work for UberEats when that's just another business propping up executive pay by passing all the costs along to the "contractor." Most people working that service have vastly underestimated their expenses and are being ripped off. They pay self-employment taxes, and do not get health insurance.

You SAY they have unreasonable demands, but I wonder what you think actual reasonable demands are. Because from the way you talk, we should all be happy that we aren't actually begging for scraps in the street.
Jay G. (07-25-23)
Old 07-24-23, 06:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujishig
You just took your anti union spiel out on UPS as predicted, though. Are their demands laughable, because it's coming from a union?
I havenít bothered with UPS since I donít use their services. Strike or donít, I donít really care. Iím sure the pro union folks here support them
Old 07-24-23, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Ignoring the fact that a 12 week writing gig makes them $60k, which is more than what many other people make in LA or NYC or wherever you want to say they struggle in.

go deliver Uber like everyone else if you canít find another writing gig. Shit give me 60k for 3 months of air conditioned writing! Iíve got some great spec scripts!!!!
That might work, except if your contractually stuck to not get work, then itís not as though you can go out and get 3 more gigs to round out the year and make $200k+ even if there are that many shows.
Jay G. (07-25-23)
Old 07-24-23, 07:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superman07
That might work, except if your contractually stuck to not get work, then itís not as though you can go out and get 3 more gigs to round out the year and make $200k+ even if there are that many shows.
I bet the writers really miss the original CW. Almost guaranteed 22 episodes for a decade to churn out sub-par scripts on almost any superhero show Berlanti could dream up. At this point only Dick Wolf shows really seem to get 22 episodes, and even that will likely drop after the strike if the demands are met/compromise as the costs will be out of hand.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.