Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Writers Strike 2023

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Writers Strike 2023

Old 07-14-23, 10:55 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: Writers Strike 2023

I'm going no matter what, but if they aren't honest about it ahead of time it will be my last time.
Old 07-14-23, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Does anyone know what this means for conventions? Can actors attend or not? I'm set for Star Trek Las Vegas in a couple of weeks, and there are dozens of cast members scheduled to attend - I've purchased photo ops with Shatner, Koenig, Takei, Mount, Dorn, Frakes, Spiner and a whole lot more. It would be a huge disappointment if none of them show up, I mean, I'd understand. They have to stand with their union. I just don't know if this is something they are prohibited from doing while on strike.
No, they (mostly below the board actors who live off of these cons) are not allowed to go and make money signing autographs and selling merchandise. Their unions want them broke as shit and are telling them not to go, even if its not promote whatever they might be in. They would be blackballed pretty quick (see Ryan Murphy shows)
Old 07-14-23, 12:03 PM

Received 4,547 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
No, they (mostly below the board actors who live off of these cons) are not allowed to go and make money signing autographs and selling merchandise. Their unions want them broke as shit and are telling them not to go, even if its not promote whatever they might be in. They would be blackballed pretty quick (see Ryan Murphy shows)
Incorrect.
Old 07-14-23, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Source?

There's no reason for unions to want their members to be "broke as shit." What they want to do is put pressure on the companies to give in and they definitely don't want to anger the fans. I can understand why they are telling people not to go to the big cons since it will naturally be publicity for their current projects, but autograph signings and existing IP, why would they want to blackball people for that?
Old 07-14-23, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I got so tired of Gordon Ramsayís routine and he has way too many shows on the air. Heís probably the most overexposed Food personality.
I don't necessarily disagree. But I always found Kitchen Nightmares to be a different kind of show. He wasn't playing his usual asshole, idiot sandwich, self. He was actually trying to help these people succeed. I gave up on his latest show real quick, but I still tune in for Hell's Kitchen and Masterchef.
Old 07-14-23, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

That would be pretty shitty of the union if they were telling these people, that aren't making money working as actors because they are on strike, that they can't make money doing something else, like signing autographs and taking pictures with fans, in the interim.
Old 07-14-23, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts

No, they (mostly below the board actors who live off of these cons) are not allowed to go and make money signing autographs and selling merchandise.
This isn't true.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/sa...omic-con-2023/
[Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, the National Executive Director and Chief Negotiator of SAG-AFTRA] noted that union members continue to be allowed to participate in autograph signings or events that are "not related to specific companies or projects" produced under the AMPTP TV/Theatrical Contracts. While actors can attend Comic-Con as long as they do so without publicity ó meaning they don't take part in panels or interviews promoting films or TV shows ó it was reported before Thursday's strike vote that SAG-AFTRA leadership prefers its members skip the confab altogether.
The Chief Negotiator has stated actors can participate in autograph signings. Selling merchandise should be fine as long as it's not related to a specific AMPTP company or project.
Old 07-14-23, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Old 07-15-23, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 239 Likes on 199 Posts

Didn't realize until now that news anchors are members of SAG,
local news station said they are not striking
Old 07-15-23, 09:13 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jay G.
This isn't true.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/sa...omic-con-2023/

The Chief Negotiator has stated actors can participate in autograph signings. Selling merchandise should be fine as long as it's not related to a specific AMPTP company or project.
Sure. Letís see how the SDCC goes and check back in when they have numerous cancellations. While they might be allowed to do them, they wonít be allowed to due them without getting shit from Union members and fellow strikers. Itíll be slim pickings, IMO. Why do you think Barbie was doing a massive media
blitz a month bedore?
Old 07-15-23, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Havenít you guys thought about the stocks and investors? What happens when a rich guy wants a 190 foot yacht but his accountant tells him he can only afford 180 feet?

Banking systems will collapse. Mad Max, basically.
Old 07-15-23, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts

Sure. Letís see how the SDCC goes and check back in when they have numerous cancellations...
The SDCC is different because the vast majority of actors were going there to be on panels to promote a particular project, or a particular company. I was just disputing your assertion that autograph signings were also not allowed, they are. I wasn't claiming nothing was going to be impacted.
Old 07-15-23, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The SDCC is different because the vast majority of actors were going there to be on panels to promote a particular project, or a particular company. I was just disputing your assertion that autograph signings were also not allowed, they are. I wasn't claiming nothing was going to be impacted.
He's ignoring plenty of posts in the thread with accurate information to continue his narrative.
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (07-15-23)
Old 07-15-23, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,364 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
He's ignoring plenty of posts in the thread with accurate information to continue his narrative.
Par for the course
Old 07-15-23, 10:50 AM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by etching
Didn't realize until now that news anchors are members of SAG,
local news station said they are not striking
They're covered by a different contract that hasn't expired. If you listen to NPR they mention this every time they talk about the strike.
Jay G. (07-15-23)
Old 07-15-23, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm going to Vegas next month too and I'm assuming that the Discovery and Strange New World panels would be the only thing affected. But since this technically isn't an official Paramount con anymore, it might not even affect that but this feels like a gray area the actors won't want to mess with.
Old 07-15-23, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Havenít you guys thought about the stocks and investors? What happens when a rich guy wants a 190 foot yacht but his accountant tells him he can only afford 180 feet?

Banking systems will collapse. Mad Max, basically.
I've seen visions of such a time. We must end this thing now, no matter the cost!
Old 07-17-23, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by DeFan
They're covered by a different contract that hasn't expired. If you listen to NPR they mention this every time they talk about the strike.
Right. It's not that news anchors are crossing the picket lines, it's that they are not in this group that are striking. They probably can't participate in any kinds of skits though.
Old 07-17-23, 08:57 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I'm going to Vegas next month too and I'm assuming that the Discovery and Strange New World panels would be the only thing affected. But since this technically isn't an official Paramount con anymore, it might not even affect that but this feels like a gray area the actors won't want to mess with.
Yeah, I'm going and intend to have fun no matter what, but I am a bit concerned about which panels will actually happen.
Old 07-17-23, 12:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dex14
Youre ignoring the fact they will be blackballed if they do this even if they are allowed. Look at the folks on Ryan Murphy shows for the last few weeks.

what they can do and what they will do are different.

again, good luck at conventions!
Old 07-17-23, 12:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deftones
Par for the course
For what? The scripted boom is over. Studios are reeling in the costs and when this strike ends, itís going to mean a lot less scripted shows and muuuuch shorter episode orders. Lots of writers (and crew and everyone else) will be delivering GrubHub. I hope they enjoy the increases they get, with a lot les work.

donít believe me? Letís check back in 1 year.
Old 07-17-23, 12:56 PM

Youre ignoring the fact they will be blackballed if they do this even if they are allowed. Look at the folks on Ryan Murphy shows for the last few weeks.

Completely different things.
Jay G. (07-17-23)
Old 07-17-23, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

For what? The scripted boom is over. Studios are reeling in the costs and when this strike ends, it’s going to mean a lot less scripted shows and muuuuch shorter episode orders. Lots of writers (and crew and everyone else) will be delivering GrubHub. I hope they enjoy the increases they get, with a lot les work.

don’t believe me? Let’s check back in 1 year.
So, you mean what's already happening now? Where most writers already have side jobs? Studios aren't reeling in costs. They're just trying to funnel as much money upwards into executive bank accounts, as every other company is doing these days. You seem perversely excited to see the working man get fucked over, because I guess you don't see being a creative as "real work."
The following 3 users liked this post by spainlinx0:
Abob Teff (07-25-23), Draven (07-18-23), Jay G. (07-17-23)
Old 07-17-23, 01:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
So, you mean what's already happening now? Where most writers already have side jobs? Studios aren't reeling in costs. They're just trying to funnel as much money upwards into executive bank accounts, as every other company is doing these days. You seem perversely excited to see the working man get fucked over, because I guess you don't see being a creative as "real work."

The cost of scripted has increased heavily in the past few years, especially with COVID. Every streamer is losing money. What do you expect to happen? Give out massive pay increases, residuals, double writers and somehow they will continue on? When a POS show on CW costs 2-4 million an episodes, how much do you think others shows costs with actual names cast and bigger budgets?

mass cancellations. Permanent episode reductions. Smaller casts. Thatís the only way the studios survive going forward. But as long as the writers can keep making 6 figures a year.
Old 07-17-23, 01:34 PM
Enormous Genitals

For what? The scripted boom is over. Studios are reeling in the costs and when this strike ends, itís going to mean a lot less scripted shows and muuuuch shorter episode orders. Lots of writers (and crew and everyone else) will be delivering GrubHub. I hope they enjoy the increases they get, with a lot les work.

donít believe me? Letís check back in 1 year.
You...you're David Zaslav, aren't you?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.