DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Traitors - Peacock Original reality competition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/657474-traitors-peacock-original-reality-competition.html)

leeta 03-15-23 06:14 PM

The Traitors - Peacock Original reality competition

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3chUWsIO1oc

It's streaming on Peacock Premium. I really enjoyed it. The US version has some known "celebrity" competitors, as well as regular folks. There are also UK and Australian versions. The UK one is basically the same as the American one, with slight differences. They are both filmed at the same location with primarily the same missions, but different hosts. The Australian version is at a different location with mostly new missions and strays further from the basic format, also. Liked all of them.

If someone could fix this for me that would be great. The YouTube link is the trailer for the show.

Shoveler 03-24-23 05:21 PM

re: The Traitors - Peacock Original reality competition

So yeah, we just finished this show (US version), have not yet watched the Reunion show. We are fans of the original Mole, and at first it seemed very similar, but after a few episodes, we realized that it was a significant improvement to the Mole. The "traitors" were not tasked with any sabotage, they were equally invested in the success of the group missions. Without giving too much away, the key for the traitors was to time their "murders" in such a way that they eliminated anyone who might be starting to suspect them, while making sure that someone else got the blame.

Spoiler:
Derek could have done extremely well, in fact was doing very well, until he overplayed his role, and he paid for it. Christian was like watching the movie Titanic, you knew damn well what was going to happen, you just didn't know how long you'd have to wait for the disaster. Kate was hilarious, in a pathetic way at first, then she started actually redeeming herself the last few days. And while I completely agree with all of the "It's just a game, not real life" rationalizations, that last move by Cirie was just ice cold brutal.

We are looking forward to watching the UK and Australian seasons, and hoping there will be a second US season. Oh, we love Alan Cummings, but didn't enjoy him as the host, all of the dining room scenes were like watching a group at dinner theatre. He rarely talked WITH the participants, he was always acting, always on stage. But overall loved the season.

windom 03-24-23 06:45 PM

Shoveler, about your spoiler ^

Spoiler:
You certainly mean Cody, not Derek. I'd like to see Derek on the show. Everyone would automatically think he was a traitor though.

Shoveler 03-26-23 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 14251487)
Shoveler, about your spoiler ^

Spoiler:
You certainly mean Cody, not Derek. I'd like to see Derek on the show. Everyone would automatically think he was a traitor though.

You are 100% correct, obviously I would like the same thing! Thanks for spotting that. We did watch the Reunion show, happy to hear that a second season is in the works, wondering who will be in the mix for the next go around. Maybe Dan, Janelle, and/or Tiffany from BB? From Survivor, maybe Parvati? Boston Rob? Cochrane?

AaronHernandez 03-27-23 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shoveler (Post 14251459)
Fixed link

So yeah, we just finished this show (US version), have not yet watched the Reunion show. We are fans of the original Mole, and at first it seemed very similar, but after a few episodes, we realized that it was a significant improvement to the Mole. The "traitors" were not tasked with any sabotage, they were equally invested in the success of the group missions. Without giving too much away, the key for the traitors was to time their "murders" in such a way that they eliminated anyone who might be starting to suspect them, while making sure that someone else got the blame.

Spoiler:
Derek could have done extremely well, in fact was doing very well, until he overplayed his role, and he paid for it. Christian was like watching the movie Titanic, you knew damn well what was going to happen, you just didn't know how long you'd have to wait for the disaster. Kate was hilarious, in a pathetic way at first, then she started actually redeeming herself the last few days. And while I completely agree with all of the "It's just a game, not real life" rationalizations, that last move by Cirie was just ice cold brutal.

We are looking forward to watching the UK and Australian seasons, and hoping there will be a second US season. Oh, we love Alan Cummings, but didn't enjoy him as the host, all of the dining room scenes were like watching a group at dinner theatre. He rarely talked WITH the participants, he was always acting, always on stage. But overall loved the season.

Even though I think this does most of the sabotage stuff better than the mole,one fatal flaw imo is the fact the missions taking too much time each episode. Since the traitors and faithful both are trrying to win the mission their is no stakes in any of it,they are equivalent to the old food reward challenges in Big Brother

BrewCrew 03-27-23 01:41 PM

I also didn't think there was much in the way of stakes, almost like they would eventually reach the $250,000 max no matter what. I do wonder how future seasons will play out, Cirie was definitely ahead of the game with having no problem throwing her fellow traitors under the bus. I do wonder if the traitors were not allowed to call out fellow traitors because it would seem they should all be pissed at Cirie. The Faithfuls were too stupid this time around in voting out people they don't like and not realizing people they like could be traitors.

leeta 03-27-23 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shoveler (Post 14251459)

Thanks for fixing that!

Glad to hear it's been picked up for a second season. Hope Australia is, as well.

lwhy? 01-13-24 09:25 AM

The first three episodes of season two are up now on Peacock.

Bill Needle 01-13-24 11:48 AM

I didn’t watch S1, but I’m think about putting S2 in the queue. I have no idea how the show works, but the new cast got me interested.

lwhy? 01-13-24 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 14374160)
I didn’t watch S1, but I’m think about putting S2 in the queue. I have no idea how the show works, but the new cast got me interested.

Season one is good. I'm about halfway through it.

BDB 01-28-24 11:17 PM

Watched both UK seasons. Very fun stuff.

dex14 02-04-24 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 14374160)

Some of the Season 2 cast got me interested as well. I went to start Season 1... but I couldn't stomach watching some of these reality personalities, so I just skipped it.

I've watched 3 episodes of Season 2... it's alright. I'm not a fan of the over-the-top theatrics... but the general of concept of the game is compelling enough.

windom 02-04-24 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by BDB (Post 14381050)

I just watched the first UK season, but Peacock doesn't have the second season. How did you watch season 2?

dex14 02-06-24 07:03 AM

Re: The Traitors - Peacock Original reality competition

As someone who has watched CT on multiple Challenges and since his Real World season 20 years ago... it is very weird to see him on a show interacting with a bunch of housewives. :lol:

BDB 02-06-24 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 14383712)
I just watched the first UK season, but Peacock doesn't have the second season. How did you watch season 2?

Cough - Torrent

dex14 02-07-24 11:10 AM

Renewed: https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/the...ck-1235901022/

windom 02-07-24 12:48 PM

Wes from The Challenge said he was asked to be on season 3, but it wouldn't work with his schedule. He's still open to doing it in the future though.

dex14 02-07-24 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 14384927)
Wes from The Challenge said he was asked to be on season 3, but it wouldn't work with his schedule. He's still open to doing it in the future though.

I'd like to see that, but he'd probably be handled the same way Bananas was.

dex14 02-08-24 03:46 PM

I started watching the UK version and much prefer that.

leeta 02-09-24 09:00 AM

I can't believe there aren't more comments about this season. It started off a bit slow but the last four or five episodes have been great. Shocked that Peter from The Bachelor is such a good player. CT is hanging in there!

Goldberg74 02-09-24 03:49 PM

A friend told me about this series while at lunch this week and he said I would like it... he was right, I'm already 6 episodes into the first seasons. It's as quirky as the host. ;)

brainee 02-10-24 01:57 PM

I've been watching and enjoying the show. Missed hearing about it for season 1, but started watching season 2 (and in between episodes caught up with season 1 as well).

Except for the Survivor alums, I don't know any of these reality tv "stars". Though the concept of the show is new enough to me that I'm interested in how things turn out. And Alan Cummings is a hoot to watch.

It's interesting how differently the 2 seasons are playing out. In the first, it was hard to imagine how the Traitors could possibly lose. But in the second, it seems flipped. I did like the one twist in season 2 where the Traitors had to kill someone in plain sight. Things like that seem to level the playing field between the 2 sides. Otherwise it seems the only way Traitors lose is if they do something stupid (although some of them have certainly done that).

I don't know what it says about me that I've found myself fully rooting for the Traitors in both seasons. Maybe it's because they've always had a Survivor player I liked, and I get to see them make these other reality tv knuckleheads squirm :D

I don't like their chances this season though. While Peter's been playing great, he just seems so smug about it. And the way he and his clique set themselves above everyone else (even those they don't think are Traitors) is obnoxious. If Parvati can't win, I'd love to see Sandra's "Leftovers" take out all of "Peter's Pals". She was absolutely right ... Peter's Pals are going to keep eliminating everyone else besides them, and they won't lose sleep over accidentally getting rid of some Faithful too. And if Sandra's really smart, she'll be fine with keeping an obvious Traitor in her group (and just eliminate them at the end for the win and the money).

Goldberg74 02-10-24 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 14385957)
A friend told me about this series while at lunch this week and he said I would like it... he was right, I'm already 6 episodes into the first seasons. It's as quirky as the host. ;)

Finished it tonight and started Season 2.

Intriguing premise. That’s for sure.

brainee 02-13-24 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by BDB (Post 14381050)

I just watched the first episode of UK season 1. That opening twist, which wasn't done in either US season, was one of the cruelest things I've seen the producers of a reality tv contest do to its players:
Spoiler:
After everyone gets out of the cars arriving at the castle for the first time, the host tells them to line up in order of how long they think they'll last in the game. And to the two on the end the host tells: "Your prediction has come true. You're off the show. Get back in the cars and go home" :eek: :lol:

dex14 02-13-24 11:34 AM

I wrapped up both UK seasons. Much prefer that version and host. Great stuff.

I'll go back and start the first season of the US one.... and will eventually check out Australia and Canada.

It's been weird to watch all that in between waiting for the next episode of US Season 2. I'm all mixed up. :lol: