Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Last of Us (S1E09) -- Season Finale -- "Look for the Light" -- 3/12/23

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-23, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts
Re: The Last of Us (S1E09) -- Season Finale -- "Look for the Light" -- 3/12/23

Props to HBO for putting it out on physical media. There's so many shows I want to see, but I don't subscribe to the particular service and don't plan to. I'd totally check them out on Blu, if they would only freaking make them! But no, they prefer more subscribers.
The following users liked this post:
story (03-15-23)
Old 03-14-23, 06:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
For those of you who need a physical copy in 4K.

https://twitter.com/BillHuntBits/sta...270812672?s=20

Knowing the creators intend for this to be a limited series, this is probably worth picking up. May wait for a complete series set in five to ten years though
Old 03-14-23, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

I can't believe Bella Ramsey is 19. I was going to say she needs to be recast for season 2 when Ellie is an adult, but I guess that doesn't make sense now
Old 03-14-23, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
So what will happen with S2? Same characters or completely different ones?

The following 2 users liked this post by Maxflier:
Abob Teff (03-15-23), story (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I don't know that the lie mattered that much in the long run aside from the fact that it kept the Fireflies from killing the baby immediately. Marlene seemed skeptical of the lie at the time and based on what she tells Joel in the finale, she certainly knows now that Ellie's mom got infected before the birthing process was complete. It seems like trying to duplicate that scenario would be extremely fraught. They'd have to produce a controlled scenario with one infected biting the mother when labor is almost complete, but not the medical personnel nor the newly born baby. That alone seems nearly impossible given what we saw in the show about the abilities of the infected and their connected nature. They also have no way of knowing exactly how long between the mom being bitten and the umbilical cord being cut leads to immunity vs. the baby just being fatally infected. And even if they managed to reproduce it, in order to harvest the solution they'd have to kill the baby just like they were going to have to kill Ellie. I might be missing something, but the dots aren't connecting for me.
Ah, sort of a "lightning in a bottle" interpretation, as in it's not simply get infected-give birth-cut the cord, voila, immune baby. If the timing of those events isn't perfect, you end up with regular baby (succeptible to the infection), or an already infected and attacking baby. OK, sure, I'll buy that. I was kind of going more with the umbilical cord acting as sort of a filter, where it passes the infection on to the child but without them becoming rabid. Sort of like how flu vaccines are basically the flu, but in a dormant state so that you don't get sick, you just develop the antibodies to fight it.

And also, this is a fictional program, not a real sickness, so whatever explanation the showrunners want to go with, that's the truth.
kefrank (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Ellie and Joel find a yellow brick road?
Old 03-15-23, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

The other thing that didn't bother me about the Joel vs. Fireflys firefight is that they've spent the entire season telling us AND showing us what a badass Joel is. He was NOT a nice guy these last 20 years. Marlene says he's the one guy she didn't want to see. Bill says something about him being the one guy who could protect someone. We've seen him coldly cut down people standing in his way. It made it perfectly plausible to me that he could efficiently take out a dozen soldiers who were comfortably in one of their bases not expecting internal resistance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xander:
csant (03-15-23), Draven (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Man does Ashley Johnson look plausibly like Bella Ramsey's mother. I didn't really appreciate it in the episode (was too freaked out at the scene), but wow, what fortuitous casting, considering they wanted her to appear in the show anyways.
kefrank (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Ah, sort of a "lightning in a bottle" interpretation, as in it's not simply get infected-give birth-cut the cord, voila, immune baby. If the timing of those events isn't perfect, you end up with regular baby (succeptible to the infection), or an already infected and attacking baby. OK, sure, I'll buy that. I was kind of going more with the umbilical cord acting as sort of a filter, where it passes the infection on to the child but without them becoming rabid. Sort of like how flu vaccines are basically the flu, but in a dormant state so that you don't get sick, you just develop the antibodies to fight it.

And also, this is a fictional program, not a real sickness, so whatever explanation the showrunners want to go with, that's the truth.
It would also depend on when she became immune to the bites. We assume she was immune since birth, but it also could have been something that kicked in when she reached puberty or some other point during her growth.

I'm surprised The Walking Dead never touched on what happens if a woman is bitten while pregnant or giving birth. That question has always floated around message boards for years, but it's never happened in any story in the comics or tv series.
Old 03-15-23, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
It would also depend on when she became immune to the bites. We assume she was immune since birth, but it also could have been something that kicked in when she reached puberty or some other point during her growth.

I'm surprised The Walking Dead never touched on what happens if a woman is bitten while pregnant or giving birth. That question has always floated around message boards for years, but it's never happened in any story in the comics or tv series.
Not TWD but it was addressed in the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake...
Old 03-15-23, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Well the issue with The Walking Dead is that everyone is already infected and it's just death that turns them into zombies. So any child born isn't going to be immune - they have the same infection their parents do.
Giantrobo (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 02:24 PM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I’m glad they stuck with that ending. I would have been pretty bummed if they changed it up.
My only real complaint is that there wasn’t one more episode to explore the university or to flesh out the David character.
All and all though I really enjoyed it.
I loved that scene when Joel is being led out of the hospital and that asshole keeps shoving him. I just kept thinking, man I can’t wait for this fucker to die.
csant (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Excellent, excellent episode and series. This is a top 3 limited series for me.
Old 03-15-23, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Excellent, excellent episode and series. This is a top 3 limited series for me.
Technically a Drama Series, not a Limited Series. Though it is somewhat limited.
Old 03-15-23, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Joel was saved by a fungus in the last episode so in this one, he returns the favor
Old 03-15-23, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Good finale, good show. I’d say one of the best video game adaptations but I haven’t played the games yet. Still sounds like it does a good job of adapting the source material and all the episodes were solid.

It does seem somewhat obvious what the conflict of season two (and the second game) will be. I heard the sequel game had some divisive opinions and I kind of expect something similar from the show.
Old 03-15-23, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

What if ... just what if ... Anna was immune. That it was something else in her genetics that she passed along.

How many immune people took a bullet to the brain over the last 20 years without knowing it? This is something that bothers me in many "zombie" stories.

(I know they had her do a slight twitch or gurgle or something. I wish they hadn't.)
Old 03-16-23, 06:25 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Spoiler:
During Joel's rampage, we see one person with braids and a backpack escape, mostly obscured by the lighting. I'd say we can be 95% sure who that's supposed to be.

Druckmann was on a podcast and said that wasn't her
Old 03-20-23, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Here is the reason why The Last of Us will probably take 2+ years to return. There is a huge shortage of VFX artists with the massive workload that’s out there. Sounds pretty dire.

From Vulture. Interview with Craig Mazin.

Season one was a 200-day shoot. What have you learned that you’re taking into season two?
When people say, “There should have been five more episodes,” I’m like, “You don’t understand. I almost died.” [[i]Laughs.] I was there every day. The only break I took other than the hiatus for the holidays was three weeks while Neil was shooting his episode. There was one day I worked on eight different episodes because of writing, editing, approving visual effects, prepping, and shooting. I fell apart a few times. I don’t fall apart for long — it’s usually an evening — but I got used to drowning. One of my hopes for this upcoming season is to write less during production and make sure the things I now know will take a lot of time get that time — visual effects in particular.

There is an industrywide crisis in visual effects that people aren’t talking about, and they need to. The explosion of content times the amount of effects inside all of the content has created an impossible situation. There’s more work than there are visual-effects artists. The artists out there are working insane amounts of time. There’s an incredible amount of pressure on them, the companies, the people who are working with the companies on our end of things. I make myself watch the credits and I can’t believe how many names of people I’ll never meet put their lives on the line for me and the show. We have to figure out how to take care of everybody. The system can’t keep going like this. It’s gonna break.

And this is industry wide. Not just affecting this show. Marvel is also struggling to keep up.
Old 03-26-23, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Finally wrapped the season up. I hated the ending so much when I played the game that it completely turned me off playing the sequel. But I think I was fine with it for the show because in the game you spend 90% of the game playing as Joel so when he makes a decision that is so stupid and unlike what my choice would have been it just feels wrong. For the show you are just watching a story and not playing as Joel so his terrible decisions aren't yours if that makes any sense. But on it's own it was a fantastic season with Bella Ramsey and Anna Torv stealing the show in my opinion and I'm looking forward to going into season 2 blind.
Old 03-27-23, 07:20 AM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Finally wrapped the season up. I hated the ending so much when I played the game that it completely turned me off playing the sequel. But I think I was fine with it for the show because in the game you spend 90% of the game playing as Joel so when he makes a decision that is so stupid and unlike what my choice would have been it just feels wrong. For the show you are just watching a story and not playing as Joel so his terrible decisions aren't yours if that makes any sense. But on it's own it was a fantastic season with Bella Ramsey and Anna Torv stealing the show in my opinion and I'm looking forward to going into season 2 blind.
I was the opposite. I liked the ending to the game and show. I felt the decision he made was the right one.

You should check out the second game. I never played it upon release and my brother just lent it to me. I’m a few chapters in. I don’t like where it’s going.
Old 03-27-23, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This is actually why I don't think BioShock's twist would work on a TV show. I mean it would, but it wouldn't have the same impact (and Funny Games kind of already had the movie equivalent of it).
The Questyen (03-27-23)
Old 03-27-23, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I was the opposite. I liked the ending to the game and show. I felt the decision he made was the right one.

You should check out the second game. I never played it upon release and my brother just lent it to me. I’m a few chapters in. I don’t like where it’s going.
If you think murdering a bunch of people who are trying to cure humanity including the doctor who might be the only human alive capable of producing a cure is the right choice then ok. I also found the gameplay in The Last of Us fairly mediocre so I have zero interest in ever playing the second game. Like I said I'll just check out the story through the show.
Old 03-27-23, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

If you think murdering a bunch of people who are trying to cure humanity including the doctor who might be the only human alive capable of producing a cure is the right choice then ok.
I can't speak to the game so anything I say here is based solely on the show. What makes the ending at least interesting is that it can inspire this kind of debate with reasonable people falling on either side of it. In the show, all we know about the doctor is what Marlene says, which isn't much. He's just as likely to be "the only human alive capable of producing a cure" as he is to be someone with just a modicum of medical expertise willing to gamble a young girl's life for the minuscule chance it might produce a cure. He may be motivated by altruism, or he may be motivated by the potential for personal accolades, or he may be motivated by desperation, or he may be motivated by outrageous bravado, or some combination of all of those things. We simply don't know. We do know what motivates Joel: a father's love. And that motivation understandably isn't willing to swallow the notion of Ellie being sacrificed for something that is very very far from a sure thing. Yes, the Fireflies and that doctor were trying to save humanity, but were they going about it the right way? Was their gamble reasonable? Did it balance compassion with ambition? Remember, the soldier that shot Sarah in the beginning was also doing so as part of an effort to save humanity...

This is all why I personally like the ending - not necessarily because I can say with immediate certainty I agree with Joel's choice, but rather because there's so many layers within it to consider.
The following 3 users liked this post by kefrank:
Dan (03-27-23), Toddarino (03-27-23), Xander (03-29-23)
Old 03-27-23, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

If you think murdering a bunch of people who are trying to cure humanity including the doctor who might be the only human alive capable of producing a cure is the right choice then ok. .
I'm assuming you are not a parent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.