Dexter: Origins - prequel series & Trinity series in the works

Old 01-31-23, 03:34 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
Dexter: Origins - prequel series & Trinity series in the works

Old 01-31-23, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Dexter: New Blood - Sins of the Father - (S1E10, Season Finale) - 1/9/22

I'm glad, they are not making a 2nd season, but a prequel only sound slightly less stupid.
Old 01-31-23, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Yeah, fuck Dexter: New Blood or any kind of spin-off. A prequel is going to depend on how good the actor playing Dexter is. Michael C. Hall is perfect in the role and I can’t imagine anyone else filling it.
Old 01-31-23, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
They really should've killed him off in the original series, so what they did was just correcting a fuck up (while still fucking up a few new things )

The problem with having a season of Dexter being on the run is that it really gets away from what the show is about.
He's a serial killer who plots to kill murderers and then tries to cover his tracks afterwards. Concentrating on him being a fugitive wouldn't be all that interesting with this character.
Older post and a moot point now but I disagree. Yes at its core the show is about Dexter being a serial killer plotting his kills, but having been around eight seasons plus a reboot (really a ninth season) had it wound up where he had to be on the run could have been a good way to keep things going for a little longer.

I don’t agree that it would take away from what the show is about. It would have progressed the storyline of the show and the character to a believable ending.

Instead we got a second ending that’s as stupid as the original one and more frustrating.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-01-23 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-31-23, 07:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I'm glad, they are not making a 2nd season, but a prequel only sound slightly less stupid.
Bates Motel was pretty damn good. Dexter could follow a similar path.
Old 01-31-23, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, fuck Dexter: New Blood or any kind of spin-off. A prequel is going to depend on how good the actor playing Dexter is. Michael C. Hall is perfect in the role and I can’t imagine anyone else filling it.
Just put him in a cheap wig like they did for his teenage flashbacks on the original show.
Old 01-31-23, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Just put him in a cheap wig like they did for his teenage flashbacks on the original show.
Yeah, those scenes were always awkward. A prequel show might work but they’d have to really nail the casting of Dexter. I’m not sure how I’d really feel about a younger Dexter until I knew more details. I feel like it would be hard to do well. The character as presented in the original show is so hard to top.
Old 01-31-23, 09:51 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Aww man I hate that idea. We got 9 seasons of Dexter the serial killer. Putting the genie back in the bottle and showing him struggle with his urges and learn how to kill sounds kind of boring to me. But it all depends on the casting & writing I guess. In theory Better Call Saul shouldn't have worked, but that was awesome. BCS also had the benefit of being a prequel but also concluding the finale of BB. I doubt that's the case here. There's no end game to be shown.

While not as interesting as original Dexter, I would have preferred New Blood to continue. Harrison finding his way and realizing killing Dexter fucked him up and awoke a dark passenger within him would have felt like an interesting place to go.

Should just let 5 or 10 years pass and reboot the show. Make it closer to the books that get REALLY weird.
Old 01-31-23, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul were both far better than Dexter even when it was at its best in my opinion.

Also a prequel to Dexter would be different from that example as Saul, Mike, and Gus weren’t the main characters in Breaking Bad and got a chance to have their backstories fleshed out in Better Call Saul.

We already know the story of Dexter and why he is the way that he is and how his story ultimately ends. All a prequel would do is show him younger and honing his ability as a serial killer.
Old 02-01-23, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There several flashbacks younger actors showing Dexter as a child, as a teenager and some with MCH as a young Dexter, we even know Dexter as a baby. Where's the mystery in that? We saw Harry teach him the code, Dexter making his first kill, before that killing animals.
Old 02-01-23, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

They should just set a new show around Miami Metro and bring back Angel, Masuka, and Quinn. They would obviously have some new characters working there too, but it seemed like Florida had an endless supply of serial killers and other criminals that could keep them busy. Heck, they could even make it a comedy and I'd watch.

Next, we'll probably get "Frank Gallagher: The Early Years".
Old 02-01-23, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by windom
Next, we'll probably get "Frank Gallagher: The Early Years".
At least there would be some story to be told. While I'm not a big fan of prequels in general, since they tend to tell stories, nobody wants to know and de-construct the original story in parts, I really don't see an untold story in Dexter's past.
Perhaps a story about his brother could have some surprises, but I don't see it.
Old 02-01-23, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

I flew out to Chicago on Jetblue and they had free showtime for inflight entertainment. I watched the first 3 episodes and was very pleasantly surprised considering the hate the show gets on the forum. I was more surprised to see IMDB has this season as an 8 or better. with individual episodes getting higher ratings. I don't get the ire. I gave up on the original series and never saw the train wreck finale but the show certainly seems watchable 3 eps in.
Old 02-01-23, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I think they just need to leave it alone. Without Michael C Hall involved in it anymore, there's no point to it.
The following users liked this post:
Mike86 (02-01-23)
Old 02-01-23, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

The idea of a sequel or a prequel are both dumb.
There's not much new to show us - so they would just do the same thing over and over (ie. how to kill and try to get away with it).
Old 02-01-23, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully they have Michael C. Hall doing the narration like on Young Sheldon. They could even have short sequences of him before the events of New Blood reflecting back on how it all began. Don't know if he would actually do any of that though.
Old 02-01-23, 06:23 PM

I believe one of the sipulations to him returning for New Blood was he wanted Dexter killed off. He doesn't want to be held back by this show anymore. He's done with it and was sick of the constant fan interaction just wanting more Dexter. So he may be down to do some voice overs. But I don't think he'd be interested in playing the character again. They'd have to recast the character to fill in those post Miami gaps and that would be a terrible idea.

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I flew out to Chicago on Jetblue and they had free showtime for inflight entertainment. I watched the first 3 episodes and was very pleasantly surprised considering the hate the show gets on the forum. I was more surprised to see IMDB has this season as an 8 or better. with individual episodes getting higher ratings. I don't get the ire. I gave up on the original series and never saw the train wreck finale but the show certainly seems watchable 3 eps in.
The series it's self was pretty great. A real return to form for the character. It's the final outcome that was a mixed bag. Not necessarily the destination they went with. But the reasoning and execution were pretty out of left field. The show was great for 9 episodes. That 10th one was divisive. But still a very good season of TV.
Old 02-01-23, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The season was the definition of underwhelming at best and downright aggravating at the end. I think we all thought it was better because we were comparing it with the original final season. The way it ends though and then looking back on the season as a whole it’s not really that great.

Some good moments but mostly a lot of meh. Lots of sloppy Dexter moments. A lot of very convenient writing to make things come to light for certain characters easily.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-02-23 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-06-23, 09:18 AM

Showtime is producing a wave of spinoffs and expansions for “Billions” and “Dexter,” two of its sturdiest hits, the network says. The premium cable brand is reshaping its TV slate with the same mold that turned “Yellowstone” into a sprawling franchise for parent company Paramount Global.

The network has ordered an origin-story prequel to “Dexter,” a serial-killer drama that dates back to 2006. Showtime is also exploring separate spinoffs based on the back stories of compelling “Dexter” characters, including one known as the Trinity Killer.

“Dexter” starred Michael C. Hall as a vigilante serial killer hiding in plain sight as a crime-scene investigator. It first earned a following in the much less-crowded TV market of the ’00s and originally ran eight seasons. A 10-episode sequel that aired last year, “Dexter: New Blood,” was the most-watched Showtime series ever, the network said, citing Nielsen and other data. Though that sequel saga is likely to continue in the future, Mr. McCarthy said, he first wanted to revisit the core “Dexter” story in hopes of getting new fans onboard.

He asked executive producer Clyde Phillips to focus on the early years of the sociopathic title character. The origin story will be set in Dexter’s hometown of Miami, and will touch on stories of real-life serial killers of the time period.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/paramou...ne-11675659107
Old 02-06-23, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let me guess...it'll be called "Dexter: First Blood."
Old 02-06-23, 03:49 PM

re: Dexter: Origins - prequel series & Trinity series in the works

It’s officially official: The Dexter prequel spinoff we first told you about last week has been formally ordered to series.

Showtime, which will soon be folded into Paramount+, confirmed on Monday that it has given a green light to Dexter: Origins, which will dramatize a young, early 20s Dexter Morgan “at the outset of his transition into the avenging serial killer he would become.”

Set in serial killer-ravaged Miami sometime in (presumably) the 1980s, Dexter: Origins “will begin as Dexter graduates college to join Miami Metro, where he meets younger versions of many of the characters we came to know in the original Dexter. And, of course, the show will also focus on Dexter’s family, including a very-much-alive Harry and a very formidable, teenage Deb.”

The soon-to-be rechristened Paramount+ with Showtime also confirmed that it is “exploring projects based on other characters from the Dexter universe,” including, as we reported, an offshoot centered on a young Trinity Killer, originally played by John Lithgow.

Longtime Dexter showrunner Clyde Phillips, who will be shepherding the new iterations, said in a statement, “I couldn’t be more excited about exploring and expanding the universe of Dexter. It’s a privilege to contemplate going even deeper with these complex and iconic characters — and the stories, themes and possibilities they inspire.”

As TVLine reported last week, Showtime opted to ditch its in-the-works Harrison-centric second season of Dexter: New Blood in favor of the prequel offshoot. The network, however, maintains that Season 2 remains “in development.”
https://tvline.com/2023/02/06/dexter...plus-showtime/
Old 02-06-23, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Dexter: Origins - prequel series & Trinity series in the works

It seems so obvious that Showtime/Paramount are scrambling for anything Dexter related after how well New Blood did in the ratings.

I think the biggest problem is going to be who will really care if it’s not Michael C. Hall in the role? He is the character in live action and the reason for the success of the show. Do we really want a younger actor filling in gaps from the past? Especially when we know the important aspects of Dexter’s past as is.

The other shows aren’t that interesting either. A show that focuses on Arthur Miller/Trinity faces the same issue in that John Lithgow won’t be playing the part. Plus while Trinity is a good villain I’m not sure he’ll make a good protagonist.

As far as New Blood continuing on it would presumably be with Harrison, and let’s be real- does anyone give a shit about that character? A show focused solely on him could redeem him, but the ending of New Blood seems to indicate he’s not going to follow in Dexter’s footsteps. So what more is there to do with him? Plus he’ll be forever thought of by fans as the one who killed the far superior character of Dexter. Just doesn’t sound appealing at all.

The whole idea of an expanded universe for Dexter just seems like grasping at straws. Dexter is dead and needs to stay that way. The show has had two chances to tell its story and screwed it up both times. We don’t need a bunch of spin-offs that are more than likely destined to the same fate of being mediocre/disappointing.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-06-23 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 09:55 PM

Re: Dexter: Origins - prequel series & Trinity series in the works

Set in serial killer-ravaged Miami sometime in (presumably) the 1980s, Dexter: Origins “will begin as Dexter graduates college to join Miami Metro, where he meets younger versions of many of the characters we came to know in the original Dexter. And, of course, the show will also focus on Dexter’s family, including a very-much-alive Harry and a very formidable, teenage Deb.”
Wait, what? So the idea for this show isn't him as a child or teenager? It's going to be new actors being younger versions of him, Deb, Harry, and Miami Metro people? That is such an odd choice. I like it better than him as a kid. But as said above, Michael C Hall just owns this role. Will anyone buy into new actors playing these characters? There's also not a lot of story left to tell. Plus it will go against the established canon that he only had about 35 or 40 kills before the series started. Just such an odd choice, but I'll give it a chance.

A Trinity prequel could be fun. But again we know how the story ends. It's going to have to be pretty damn compelling to overcome that. But at least this one theoretically could have a post story to complete, with Jonah still being alive. Again I'll give it a chance, but without Lithgow will anyone care the same way?
Old 02-06-23, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Let me guess...it'll be called "Dexter: First Blood."
Dexter: First Cut