Survivor Season 44 Premieres 3/1/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor Season 44 Premieres 3/1/23

Old 05-25-23, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Survivor Season 44 Premieres 3/1/23

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Repeated challenges get old. This is Survivor not The Price is Right.
And the making fire thing. Please come up with something new.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (05-25-23)
Old 05-25-23, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
And the making fire thing. Please come up with something new.
Agree. I get the "live" drama aspect, but it's not as interesting as they think it is. At least it does relate to the game (camp life), so it's slightly better than drawing lots.. But they need to search for another method to at least mix it up a little.
Old 05-25-23, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

Watch Carolyn getting $100K from Sia:

Old 05-25-23, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Watch Carolyn getting $100K from Sia:
Based on that it should easily be worth another $250K each to the people forced to live with that for a month.
Old 05-25-23, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,142 Likes on 696 Posts

I tried to watch the video but couldn't make it through the first few minutes she annoys me so much.

So what was the deal? Sia decided to just give her megabucks because she felt she was the most obnoxious person in the world and thought this may keep her quiet?
Old 05-25-23, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So what was the deal? Sia decided to just give her megabucks because she felt she was the most obnoxious person in the world and thought this may keep her quiet?
Yeah, if anyone is capable of actually sitting through that do tell. Or is this just a "thing" now and it happens every season?
Old 05-25-23, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where have you guys been? Sia has been "awarding" certain players with cash for quite a few seasons now. They used to announce it when they did the live reunion. I think lately it's been 3 players a season that she gives money to. For this season, she also gave: Lauren Harpe: $15,000 and Carson Garrett: $15,000. I guess she didn't like Heidi.
Old 05-25-23, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where have you guys been? Sia has been "awarding" certain players with cash for quite a few seasons now. They used to announce it when they did the live reunion. I think lately it's been 3 players a season that she gives money to. For this season, she also gave: Lauren Harpe: $15,000 and Carson Garrett: $15,000. I guess she didn't like Heidi.
Ahh, I had no clue. Maybe a vague recollection of someone doing it once. If I knew anything about Sia I'm guessing it would probably make more sense to me. Otherwise it's a wealthy person giving a bunch of money to someone for being on their TV for a season. The ultimate in pay-per-view I suppose.
Old 05-25-23, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,142 Likes on 696 Posts

This is the first season I have watched in a few years. So what is her reasoning on who she chooses for the "award?"
Old 05-26-23, 06:45 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

And this may sound sappy but Yam Yam assisting Carson in practicing fire making was one of the most touching things I have seen in a while.
Seeing Carson devolve into a quivering mess of anxiety was very disturbing but not uncommon to find in many people I have dealt with from his generation. Something about the way they have been coddled all their lives by their helicopter parents combined with growing up in the age of online bullying and social media seems to make these kind of breakdowns come out. Still trying to figure out what his sexuality is. He isn't the most masculine guy but he is an admitted nerd. I didn't really get any gay vibes from him but most people I've talked to assumed he was gay and just didn't know it.

I agree it was touching to see Yam Yam show a different side than his usual annoying personality but I wonder how much of it was for the camera. He just seemed too phony.
Old 05-26-23, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot to mention I liked Carson’s use of the NASA font on his votes. But the NASA thing was pretty oversold. He’s a sophomore in college. I never referred to myself as an NFL apprentice when I was playing college football. But at least he’s not another bartender/actor/model/personal trainer.

I can’t recall, was the rest of the cast aware of his NASA “ties”? Or was the use of the font at tribal supposed to be his own little Easter egg?

Last edited by Bill Needle; 05-26-23 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

I was too busy during the week so finally got around to finishing this.

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Meh. I had no interest in watching this season but my wife watched so I kinda half-watched. The problem is that nothing is really interesting or surprising anymore. The personalities may be different but it is just boring. It doesn’t help that they are recycling everything over and over. I do not want to see them in challenges they have seen before and in some cases have even practiced.
Repeated challenges get old. This is Survivor not The Price is Right.
Yes, please! I'd be fine with the occasional "oldy but goody" familiar challenge, but how hard could it be to come up with new ones. Probst talks about how production tries to think of new shake-ups to game play to keep the show fresh after 40+ seasons. But somehow that doesn't apply to one of the most fundamental parts of gameplay, the challenges themselves?

They can't even be bothered to change the exact structure of the puzzles! Hopefully Carson making a mockery of puzzles because he practiced the same ones will make them change at least that. It was like completing a puzzle section in a video game after watching a YouTube clip of someone else solving it.

I thought that it was pretty ballsy of Heidi to do the fire challenge to up her game but still didn't work for her in the end which wasn't surprising.
Heidi sounded like she was realistic about where she stood. She just didn't do much to impact the game until winning the final challenge.

I wasn't a big fan of Carolyn or Yam Yam but I can at least say Yam Yam grew on me a little over the season. Carolyn never did. Her constant screaming, mouth wide open, licking her lips & mouth and just her general manner unnerved me the entire time. I don't think I could have spent an hour with her anywhere, much less 30 days on a deserted island. I might have hurt myself intentionally to get off the island.

And this may sound sappy but Yam Yam assisting Carson in practicing fire making was one of the most touching things I have seen in a while. But what didn't make sense is that Carson spent all this time practicing various specific puzzles and never practiced fire making until he got proficient at it? That's a big HUH?

I wasn't upset that Yam Yam won but didn't really care either. I spent a good portion of the final 2 hours in Fast Forward mode.
I think Yam Yam was as deserving a winner as you could have. He was directing so much of the voting throughout the season without making himself a target. His social game was top tier. He wasn't a challenge beast, but he won one and was competitive in others. And that aspect of gameplay seems to weigh a lot less for recent juries than it did in older seasons.

I agree that helping Carson make fire was extremely touching (and I'm usually the sort to roll my eyes at other "emotional" Survivor moments like loved ones letters/visits, or when someone breaks down in tears in confessional or tribal). I'd like to believe it wasn't some gameplay move to secure a jury vote. Instead it was just because Yam Yam is a genuinely good human being.

Carson did say he practiced fire making at home. But said, unlike the puzzle challenges, that when he encountered the real thing in the game it just wasn't working for him.
Old 05-26-23, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is a summary of all the money that Sia has given. Approach $1M in total at this point.
Old 05-26-23, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

The winner was leaked online (some jerk posted it in a Twitter feed...I'm sure he got it from Reddit or somewhere) weeks before the premiere. I almost got in trouble here myself for mentioning Yam Yam as the possible winner (under a spoiler tab) because in our little DVD Talk game, he was the first person picked (which certainly took all the suspense/fun out of the game - as well as watching the actual episodes - once it became obvious that that leak was probably correct).

Anyway, CBS needs to crack down on the leaks OR move the vote reveal back to a live show again.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 05-26-23 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-27-23, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

I wish they did a live show. I like seeing the contestants cleaned up.
Old 05-27-23, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I wish they did a live show. I like seeing the contestants cleaned up.
That and it kind of seems kind of shitty to the losing fianlists,no time to process losing.
Old 05-29-23, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
Still trying to figure out what his sexuality is. He isn't the most masculine guy but he is an admitted nerd. I didn't really get any gay vibes from him but most people I've talked to assumed he was gay and just didn't know it.
He came across gay to me. Was hoping he'd win. Surprised more people don't recreate the puzzles and master them since they repeat. Also appreciated his lifting and clean bulking 30 pounds going in. Someone else mentioned it, but interesting with his preparation he didn't totally master fire building. I think he probably did and wanted to downplay it but conditions were different and got frazzled. His fire still probably beats most - he just ran into a record breaker.

Actually thought this was a rare good recent season. We've gotten such boring, generic personalities lately someone like Carolyn I actually responded to. I personally respond more to oddball loner types. Someone like Yam Yam would've annoyed me WAY more. I didn't like his winning but at least he played the game and had a good social hold and could read people. So it wasn't like recent winners just dragged to the end. Anyone else surprised Carolyn is only 35? Thought she was late 40s. Could see and especially with mannerisms and facial tics where drugs took their toll.

The game is definitely so stale though. I zone out of most challenges and fail to connect with like 99% of these people.
Old 05-29-23, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

Her constant screaming.
That shit drove me crazy, her screaming and squealing like a fucking child during challenges.
Spiderbite (05-29-23)
Old 05-29-23, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to see a season where there are no hidden immunity idols. Instead, just give every player an immunity idol from the start. It would be interesting to see how soon they would all get used up. There would need to be a rule that if everyone plays an idol at a single tribal council, they would be void at that point. Call it Survivor: Island of the Idols.
Spiderbite (05-29-23)
Old 06-01-23, 12:11 PM

Received 814 Likes on 530 Posts

According to this interview that Carson shared, Sia wants to give him $15,000 a year (tax free) while he is in school because “going to school is expensive and going to school at NASA has to be more expensive.”

She “wants to be [his] patron.”

Old 06-01-23, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to this interview that Carson shared, Sia wants to give him $15,000 a year (tax free) while he is in school because “going to school is expensive and going to school at NASA has to be more expensive.”
Luckily he doesn't go to the University of NASA and instead is enrolled at Georgia Tech which I'm sure costs much less than the former, much more imaginary school.
Old 07-25-23, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm, not sure what's going on here exactly...