Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Originally Posted by Mike86
Still waiting but gaining more confidence. Mike and Rich from Red Letter Media just put out their re:View of episodes two through four and talked almost all positive which is a stark contrast to how they felt about seasons one and two.
I was glad when Red Letter Media dropped the review that it included episode 4. Seeing Rich and Mike cautiously praise the season so far, while also mocking what they expected based on the bad writing of the 2 previous seasons was funny.

Red Letter Media re:View of Star Trek: Picard Season 3, Episodes 2, 3, and 4
Old 03-10-23, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Finally caught up last night. It's like the first two seasons were just for practice and they finally decided to give us the TNG continuation we all expected. The last two episodes in particular are so good I would put them up against many of the Trek feature films.

The guy playing Captain Shaw is an acquaintance of a friend of mine, so the being from Chicago part is actually true to life. He's playing the "grumpy captain as a foil to Riker" part so much more believably than Jellico did.

And that flashback in the bar where Jack asks about family was just absolutely heartbreaking.

(also, looking at the math, Jack would have been born around 2380-ish, which is after Nemesis in 2379 and possibly concurrent with Lower Decks).
Old 03-10-23, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 433 Likes on 297 Posts

Ep 4 was some of the finest Trek ever in my book.

You throw a ship at us... we throw an asteroid at you.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (03-19-23)
Old 03-14-23, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
That was a cool little backstory about Picard & Worf fighting the Hirogen that we never got to see.
Yeah I thought that was interesting. The Hirogen are in the delta quadrant aren't they?

Picard dropping the F bomb was cringe but I liked him calling the Captain the "dipshit from Chicago." Seven is way more natural with the cursing.
Agreed. It was just out of left field and I think even more inappropriate then the infamous f-bomb in the first season. I fully admit that can probably be described as pearl clutching on my part. At least it was to family though and not in any kind of professional setting.

It must have dawned on the writers the absurdity of having the holodeck running when power was limited so bent over backwards for that justification. Bet they also knew they'd be raked over the coals if they didn't.
I absolutely loved that bit. I wish more writers would do stuff like this. It takes nothing to fill a possible plot hole with them just saying in the last scene how they had to conserve power. It also adds a bit of universe building that Starfleet designs holodecks as a sort of last bastion for the crew to use to die comfortably? That's..interesting.

The callbacks were fun. I think this episode helped flesh out why Riker seemed out of character and really brought the gang back into a functioning core again. The flashback with Jack having sought out Picard and feeling shunned was well done and real sad for both.
I thought that was a good way to address the reason why Picard didn't know anything about Jack. I think they've done a pretty good job of trying to cover their bases as much as possible. The only thing that doesn't really work is his age but oh well.

No Raffi. Woot!
I really wish they had gotten rid of her along with the previous cast of previous seasons. She's an okay character and much improved with her pairing up with Worf but he story just kind of gets in the way and just of little interested compared with the legacy characters.

Little baby space squids! Glad they were clear when they went to warp otherwise engage windshield wipers.
I really like that. It did come off a little cheesy especially with how cute they were designed but it was still nice to see some good 'ol seek out new life in Star Trek. Getting back to the roots of the franchise.
Old 03-14-23, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 232 Likes on 137 Posts

The Holodeck running on a separate non-compatible power source is a little silly but was mentioned multiple times on Voyager, so it's roots in canon are decades old.
Old 03-15-23, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Todd Stashwick (Shaw) is supporting a petition to help get Terry Matalas another Star Trek series

The following 4 users liked this post by DJariya:
bluesix (09-29-23), Giantrobo (03-15-23), tanman (03-16-23), TGM (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I'd watch it. Glad I gave Shaw a chance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Bandoman (03-19-23), tanman (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes!!! EP 5!!
Spoiler:
Ro!!!! 🤩😍🤩😍🤩 She is still Hot AF!!!

but also 😭😭😭😭

The following 5 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
andicus (03-21-23), Bandoman (03-19-23), bluesix (09-29-23), tanman (03-16-23), whotony (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ep 5 was great. Raffi and Worf were awesome as usual, Shaw was a Dick but in a good way only Shaw can pull off, and though she didn't have a lot to do in this ep Seven is amazing.
tanman (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Looks like Jack has spent some time in the Upside-Down.

And, shit, I finally get Shaw. He's Negan in space.

Good to see Ro back. And they even dealt with the Maquis business. And
Spoiler:
at least she went out like a fuckin' boss. If you're going to kill off legacy characters, that's the way to do it.

A Vulcan gangster. DS9 gave us a Vulcan serial killer, so there's precedent for sketchy Vulcans.

At this point, I'm wondering who is a Changeling. Someone in the main or supporting cast has to be a Changeling... Almost wondering if they don't do a swerve and the secret Changeling ends up being Odo working against the infiltrator Changelings.
Old 03-16-23, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

[QUOTE=Josh-da-man;14247829]Looks like Jack has spent some time in the Upside-Down.

And, shit, I finally get Shaw. He's Negan in space.

Good to see Ro back. And they even dealt with the Maquis business. And
Spoiler:

That was how I was interpreting Shaw's character. Originally presented as an "enemy", but will be more like an anti hero as the season progresses.
Old 03-16-23, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should a shuttle craft crashing into a nacelle do that much damage? They fired actual weapon at them before that have done less damage and the bridge crew had plenty of time to prevent that from happening.
Old 03-16-23, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With all the talk about the changlings "evolving" and an infiltration at Starfleet, I wonder if we are finally getting a sequel to the TNG season one episode "Conspiracy" where they sent a homing beacon for their kind to come to Earth. That episode even used the same phrasing in that episode that Beverly used in her message to Picard "Don't trust anyone".
The following 2 users liked this post by movieguru:
tanman (03-16-23), Thos19 (03-20-23)
Old 03-16-23, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Should a shuttle craft crashing into a nacelle do that much damage? They fired actual weapon at them before that have done less damage and the bridge crew had plenty of time to prevent that from happening.
It had a bomb on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by whotony:
Bandoman (03-19-23), Giantrobo (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I stayed up until 1:30am watching it. Almost forgot to watch it when I was getting ready to sleep.

Wow, so good. I was riveted the entire 54 minutes.

Disclosure. I didn't follow TNG regularly as a kid, so the backstory of Ro and Picard was lost on me. But, I did enjoy learning about it and seeing that they did have a bond and he appeared to be some kind of mentor to her. I knew she was fucked once she was heading back to the Entrepid with those changelings.

Shaw is a dick, but he's becoming a more likeable dick.

It was cool seeing Kirk Acevedo as the Evil Vulcan. Interesting learning that Ro was apparently Worf's handler with this internal investigation into Starfleet. Acevedo has a relationship with the showrunner Terry Matalas since they worked together on 12 Monkeys.

So far, season 3 is blowing away the 1st 2 seasons. Really good.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-16-23 at 01:46 PM.
tanman (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Awesome to see Ro! When she walked in I got a big smile on my face. Too bad it was only for one episode, but it worked well for the story. I'm tired of waiting for Beverly and Jack to come clean about whatever secrets they're hiding. It's well past the point where Picard and Riker need to know what's going on with Jack.

Last edited by Cellar Door; 03-16-23 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-16-23, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Jack is John Wick!

I vaguely remembered Ro but basically forgot all her plot stuff from TNG. Had to re-read her character arc.

They should just spin off this show to Worf or Seven.
​​​​​​
A 12 Monkeys show mini reunion too, although they didn't share any screen time.

Last edited by Deftones; 03-16-23 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-16-23, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
It had a bomb on it.
Also, the Intrepid's shields were down.
The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
tanman (03-16-23), whotony (03-19-23)
Old 03-16-23, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

With all the talk about the changlings "evolving" and an infiltration at Starfleet, I wonder if we are finally getting a sequel to the TNG season one episode "Conspiracy" where they sent a homing beacon for their kind to come to Earth. That episode even used the same phrasing in that episode that Beverly used in her message to Picard "Don't trust anyone".
"Conspiracy" was the first thing I thought of too. The whole infiltration of Starfleet. Always wished there had been a follow-up. I remember watching at the time and thinking that was way cool this show has gotten so much better. It would be awesome if they tie that into this somehow.
Old 03-17-23, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Looks like Jack has spent some time in the Upside-Down.

A Vulcan gangster. DS9 gave us a Vulcan serial killer, so there's precedent for sketchy Vulcans.

It gets easier and easier to accept Sybok being a rogue Vulcan that embraces his emotions and wants to find God.

Yeah, another banger of an episode. I knew Ro had come back in the books so I was a little bothered at first at Picard's reaction until I realigned my canon. But damn good to see Michelle back, and even bringing some of her Admiral Cain energy to the role.
I still wish she had agreed to go full time on TNG back in the day, she would have been great in the movies.
Old 03-17-23, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Eh. It was kind of neat seeing a familiar face return but it's been so long since I've watched those Ro episodes whatever emotional impact they were trying to generate just didn't work me. It's not like I had any fondness for the character to begin with. I think my favorite ep from TNG with her was the one where she and Geordie were out of phase and presumed dead. Michelle Forbes always seemed to bounce around from one project to the next. There was a time she seemed to show up in everything.
Old 03-19-23, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I too thought back to "Conspiracy."

I was wondering that if the ship is basically a Changeling 'crew' and knew what was going on (with a bomb on board), why they wouldn't have their shields up once she approached the nacelle. But I guess that was part of the set-up to pin it on the Titan.

But good to see Ro again, even briefly.
Old 03-19-23, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

We still need to find out what the disembodied voice is that keeps telling Jack to find her.

There was also someone in the first ep that was following Riker and Picardo when they were in the bar talking about what they were going to do next. So far that hasn’t been followed up on.
Old 03-19-23, 12:51 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Shaw is a fantastic addition to Trek. I love his offhand references to Trek movies in this episode. To Picard:

"Yeah, like when you crashed the saucer section of the Enterprise D on Veridian III? Or when you violated the Prime Directive to snog a native on Bakku?"
Old 03-19-23, 12:54 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

isn't the voice his mom's? sounds like it to me.

5 episodes in and it's been a real joy.

and I'll say it again, Shaw and the Titan need their own show. I hope he doesn't get killed off in this. He's so deliciously smarmy.

Bandoman (03-19-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.