Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 06:12 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

calling it now, Jack is 1/2 Q, with Beverly admitting she slept with him. The show ends with Picard screaming "Q!!!!!!!!" like Kirk did with Kahn, and then a Picard meme facepalm.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (04-07-23)
Old 04-07-23, 07:19 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

There were a lot of contrivances in this episode but i don't care, it was so much fun.

As jaime from the Trekbbs forum stated:

Originally Posted by jaime
Now we have two hours for the most sciencey bridge crew in Starfleet history to save the federation. (Seriously… Picard is a anthropologist and archaeologist by background, Troi and Crusher, Medical and Psychology, Geordi, engineer, Data, engineer and general science, Riker was in Engineering, about the only non-science guy there is Worf. And he is part historian and probably forges his own swords. They’ve picked up a grease monkey from Chicago, and Science Girl pin-up of the nineties Seven of Nine.)

It’s time to go science the shit out of this thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bandoman:
milo bloom (04-12-23), tanman (04-11-23)
Old 04-07-23, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

My 2 Main Theories

In his travels, Jack landed on that planet where Tasha Ya died and now he has that Tar Monster that killed Tasha in his head.

Sybok actually lost the battle with "God" and the "God" somehow "Virgin Mary'd" Jack into Bev.

Last night's ep was ok.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-07-23 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-07-23, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

The end of this episode show a female voice whispering to Jack and then it focuses on a door handle and an old fashioned keyhole. A door and a key were a plot point in Season 2 where Picard opened the door with a key leading to his mother's suicide.
Old 04-08-23, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I stayed up late to watch episode 8 last night. I liked it better than episode 7. It was really cool seeing the whole TNG back together in this episode and then sitting together at the table.

I'm glad that Deanna was actually her and not some changeling. And I at Vadic being thrown out into space, frozen and then breaking apart. And it was good to see Data fight his way back and beat Lore. I had a feeling that Data's previous fate/death was really unsatisfying to the folks here and in general. So it was good to have him back and as chipper as his old self. I liked his moments with Geordi.

So there is 2 episodes left for the TNG crew and the crew of the Titan to resolve the Changeling situation with Starfleet and to find out WTF is going on with Jack.
Old 04-08-23, 02:12 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

only 2 more episodes? damn, I truly don't want this to end.
Old 04-08-23, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I stayed up late to watch episode 8 last night. I liked it better than episode 7. It was really cool seeing the whole TNG back together in this episode and then sitting together at the table.

I'm glad that Deanna was actually her and not some changeling. And I at Vadic being thrown out into space, frozen and then breaking apart. And it was good to see Data fight his way back and beat Lore. I had a feeling that Data's previous fate/death was really unsatisfying to the folks here and in general. So it was good to have him back and as chipper as his old self. I liked his moments with Geordi.

So there is 2 episodes left for the TNG crew and the crew of the Titan to resolve the Changeling situation with Starfleet and to find out WTF is going on with Jack.
I'm wondering if Vadic is really dead. She could have survived what happened to her or that could have been another changeling impersonation Vadic that died and Vadic is disguised as a memebr of the crew on the Titan.
Old 04-08-23, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
And it was good to see Data fight his way back and beat Lore. I had a feeling that Data's previous fate/death was really unsatisfying to the folks here and in general. So it was good to have him back and as chipper as his old self. I liked his moments with Geordi.
I thought it was a mistake to kill Data back in Nemesis. From what I recall it was Spiner who wanted Data killed off because the didn't think he could play the character much longer because Data wouldn't grow older while he did. Which was a huge error because A, the can always come with a story reason for Data to appear older, and B, the audience is willing to suspend disbelief when it comes to the actors aging out of their roles.

That said, I do sort of like the idea that Data can merge with Lore and become a sort of whole being in the process.

Since Data is back (and hopefully isn't killed off again in the next two episodes), he could still be around in the 32nd century with the Discovery crew.
Old 04-08-23, 06:03 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they killed him off in Nemesis with the expectation to bring him back ala Spock in the next TNG movie which was assumed to be a given but then never happened.

resolution of his character's death arc in Picard season 1 was better than nothing but less than stellar.

resolution of his character's death arc in Picard season 3? this is perfection.
Old 04-09-23, 12:25 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Worf had zero reaction to Data returning; just sat there looking straight ahead
Old 04-09-23, 09:14 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HN
I'm sure its all about timing and editing, but I also never felt they had a strong relationship in the show.
Old 04-09-23, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
Are you suggesting he wasn't a merry man?
The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
tanman (04-11-23), Thos19 (04-14-23)
Old 04-09-23, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by HN
I noticed that too.

I know his line about sending them his enemy's head would be considered passive aggressive was meant to be funny for the viewer, but Worf spent most of his life around humans. so he would already have known not to send them their heads without anyone else having to remind him of it.

Last edited by movieguru; 04-09-23 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-10-23, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

If any of you happen to be free Wednesday at 1pm ET and live in a participating city

On Wednesday, April 19, ten participating Imax theaters in the U.S. will provide an early screening of the last two episodes of the third and final season, including the series finale, ahead of its Paramount+ debut on Thursday, April 20.

Tickets to the screenings are free and fans can sign up and register at http://startrekpicardfinalescreenings.com on Wednesday, April 12, at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET. The exclusive screening event will take place at 10 participating Imax theaters in Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle, Orlando, Washington, D.C., Atlanta and Dallas.

There will be a special final season poster giveaway and complimentary concessions for fans in attendance. Audiences will also be able to take part in a live Q&A following the screening with Patrick Stewart, LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Jonathan Frakes, Gates McFadden, Brent Spiner, Jeri Ryan and executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Terry Matalas. The Q&A will be held in-person at the Los Angeles screening while being broadcast to the rest of the Imax theater locations.
Old 04-11-23, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I noticed that too.

I know his line about sending them his enemy's head would be considered passive aggressive was meant to be funny for the viewer, but Worf spent most of his life around humans. so he would already have known not to send them their heads without anyone else having to remind him of it.
He was with his friends. He was being funny and extra Klingon.
Old 04-11-23, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TGM
I think they killed him off in Nemesis with the expectation to bring him back ala Spock in the next TNG movie which was assumed to be a given but then never happened.

resolution of his character's death arc in Picard season 1 was better than nothing but less than stellar.

resolution of his character's death arc in Picard season 3? this is perfection.
This. So much this. I mean imagine if Wrath of Kahn came out with no Search for Spock. That's basically what happened with TNG fans. They had all the set up to have Data return but with no payoff. There was no resolution. Just one giant cliffhanger sitting out there. And totally agree the resolution in Picard S1 was a nice send off but still felt hollow. Especially in the general background of the mess that was Picard S1.

This was the way to bring back Data. It was perfect. I especially LOVE that they slowed it down and let Data and Geordi have the heart to heart they haven't had since TNG. One of the biggest problems I had with Data's death in Nemesis was they didn't even acknowledge their friendship. During the course of the entire show it was their friendship that central to those two characters. It wasn't until First Contact that the writers decided to make it the Picard/Data show. Which was great for First Contact but continued on to the others and especially in Nemesis. Which is fine Picard has always been a mentor but Geordi was always his BFF. To finally have this moment between the two after his death in Nemesis was a great cathartic relief.

Originally Posted by philo
Super awesome! So many great scenes.

Worf's pent up speech to Troi and Riker's reaction "Is this a continuation of the torture?" So glad they didn't forget their history.

Picard recalling how Geordi said the Chateau Picard he gave him years ago was too dry.

Data finally brought back with everyone together was something I thought would never happen. The TNG movie we never got. S1 dropped the ball and I'm so glad the new writers got it right for S3.

It was sweet to see the Sherlock references, the Tasha Yar memento and Spot. All the stuff with Data and Geordi after. Terrific.

Seven getting her "Air Force One" moment was great and Vadic's fate was not something I expected. "Fucking solids." That slow impact shot.

RIP to bald Vulcan who made an impression in her limited screen time. She would've been a great addition to a spin-off.

Even in the 24th century hipsters are annoying the frack out of people.

Sure hope Jack's secret pays off with something cool.
Agreed. So many great scenes. I love that the writers are giving these characters these quiet moments together. That whole scene with Riker and Troi was very well done. Something that I think could only really happen with characters who have existed for 35 years.

And yes. THAT's how to drop the F bomb in Star Trek. They finally figured it out. Also RIP to her character as she was a great villain. One of the best in Trek I think. That scene on the bridge really was intense.
Old 04-11-23, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

The idea that Jack could be an evolution that leads to Q isn’t too far off. I think at the end of All Good Things Q suggested to Picard that humans (?) become Qs.
Old 04-11-23, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On a tangent I REALLY hate these stupid spoiler thumbnails in YouTube videos. Because of my schedule I don't always get to watch Picard right away. Sometimes it's a few days. And since I love Star Trek and YouTube I have a couple channels I watch regularly and get recommended by the algorithm. Oddly enough the worst offender of this is the stupid people running the Ready Room show. Or whoever is in charge of the Paramount+ channel because they had a giant picture of Tim Russ on the thumbnail. Another channel had Wolf 359 plastered all over Shaw's face on that episode so it totally undercut his revelation on the holodeck in one of the best moments of the season so far.
Old 04-12-23, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
The idea that Jack could be an evolution that leads to Q isn’t too far off. I think at the end of All Good Things Q suggested to Picard that humans (?) become Qs.
Oh, I hope that isn't the case. Just seems a little too twee.

I do kind of like the idea that Jean-Luc is infected with Borg nanobots, and that his jizz passed it on to Jack.

I don't mind the idea that humanity will eventually evolve into higher beings like the Q (and it's been implied in the past), but I don't really want to see it happen. I do sort of like the idea that the El-Aurians are/were on their way to ascending into higher beings, and that's why the Q sent the Borg after them.
Old 04-12-23, 06:07 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

nanobot borg jizz is going to be my new band name.
Old 04-12-23, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

The one that I keep coming back to is Redjac from the old TOS episode Wolf in the Fold but it's not a great episode and it's kinda of a deep cut.
The other would be whatever possessed Gary Mitchell and Elizabeth Dehner back in the day.

But yeah, Data tricking Lore into becoming him was pretty cool. I loved seeing Tasha again, of all the little things this show forgets, I'm so glad they remember that one.
Old 04-12-23, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 232 Likes on 137 Posts

Got free passes to see the final two episodes in IMAX next Wednesday night. Very cool. I'm sure I'll be surrounded by a lot of Trek nerds.
Old 04-12-23, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Got free passes to see the final two episodes in IMAX next Wednesday night. Very cool. I'm sure I'll be surrounded by a lot of Trek nerds.
I forgot that was dropping today. All sold out. Just as well it's three hours away for me. Wish they expanded it and made it a paid thing. Maybe not a full price but for $5-10 I'd consider going.
Old 04-13-23, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Episode 9.. WOW ....just WOW!
Old 04-13-23, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably the best episode of this season so far. Another familiar face returns and a reference to another TNG character long forgotten by most of the crew. The reference seems to allude that this character must have passed away some time back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.