Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

List your favorite/disappointing/worst TV shows of 2022

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-22, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
List your favorite/disappointing/worst TV shows of 2022

There is a lot of TV and I know it's pretty much next to impossible to keep up with most of it. But, since we're wrapping up 2022, I'm curious what you all thought of the shows that aired in 2022 that you regularly watched or tried. There is no right or wrong answers. Entertainment is subjective. If you didn't like something that was universally loved, feel free to say so. This doesn't have to be multi-episode series. If can be 1-off specials as well. And yes, this covers network TV, cable and streaming shows and unscripted.

I tried to stick with stuff that I finished. There's a few like Rings or Power that I haven't finished yet, but intend to. Who knows, you may inspire someone to check out something that got completely buried in their unwatched/never heard of list

Favorites:

1883 (Paramount +) - Incredible series. 7 episodes aired in 2022, so I'm counting it. I'm not a huge Western fan, but this show had great performances.

Tokyo Vice (HBO Max) - Probably my favorite new series of 2022. I'm a big fan of crime shows and this one especially since it's set in Japan.

Better Call Saul - The Final season (AMC): Nothing more needs to be said. Solid final season

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 1 (Paramount +) - Solid new addition to the Star Trek lore with great casts and standalone plots.

Bosch: Legacy (Freevee) - An excellent spin-off/continuation of the Bosch saga

The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix) - I was surprised how much I liked this and how addictive it was.

Superman and Lois season 2 (CW) - Probably the best CW DC show that's left

Peacemaker (HBO Max) - Totally surprised by this. Fun, violent and LOL funny at times

Take Out with Lisa Ling (HBO Max) - A pretty enjoyable unscripted show about the Asian food culture in America. Lisa Ling is an excellent host

In from the Cold (Netflix) - I'm sure most of you never heard of this. It starts out as a spy action show and then take a weird turn into science fiction. I liked it, but I guess nobody watched it.

Reacher (Amazon) - A pretty solid action/mystery show. Alan Ritchson was a great Jack Reacher

From (EPIX) - I know pretty much no one saw this since it airs on a premium channel that almost no one has here. But, this was a surprisingly entertaining horror TV show.

Ms. Marvel (Disney +) - Probably my favorite MCU property of 2022. I know there were a few here who just didn't resonate with it and that's okay. Good story about family and relationships

Westworld the final season (HBO) - I really enjoyed the final season, but sad that nobody watched it and now it's gone from HBO Max.

Pretty Little Liars Original Sin (HBO Max) - A surprisingly entertaining R-rated horror series that has edge. Way better than the original series in just one season

Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers (Hulu) - An amazing and very comprehensive documentary series on the LA Lakers history under Dr. Jerry Buss

Winning Time (HBO) - A really fun scripted and somewhat exaggerated portrayal of the Lakers 1st season owned by Jerry Buss and with Magic Johnson. It was really fun and had a lot of laughs.

Cobra Kai season 5 (Netflix) - Crazy and fun season, but it did somewhat run out of steam at the end. Still enjoyed it

House of the Dragon (HBO) - A great prequel series to GOT. Solid actors and a pretty compelling story

Disappointing:
The Endgame (NBC) - Really wanted to like this and it has a few actors I liked, but Morena Baccarin's fake accent and the main leads lack of charisma made this pretty forgettable.

Star Trek Picard season 2 (Paramount +) - I know this series is very contentious with Star Trek fans. I liked season 1 and I thought season 2 started out fine, but in the end it didn't quite hit the landing. It was a Star Trek show that didn't feel like science fiction since the vast majority took place on the streets of LA

Kung Fu season 2 (CW) - I enjoyed season 1, but season 2 tried to go into serialized mythology and I don't think it really worked

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney +) - This one kind of falls between disappointing and worst. There were maybe 2 "good" episodes of the 6 and a lot of stupid things

The Terminal List (Amazon) - A pretty decent action series that fell completely flat with a disappointing resolution and ending

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney +) I liked a few episodes, including bringing in Daredevil. But, ultimately it wasn't very funny

Worst

Moon Knight (Disney +) - I don't have that much to say. It was convoluted and just not very entertaining. If they do a season 2, it has to be getting rave reviews for me to be interested.

You don't have to list it with commentary like me.

And if you didn’t watch that much TV in 2022 or don’t have time to research it, that’s fine too. Just list some of things you liked or don’t like.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-01-23 at 12:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (01-01-23)
Old 12-31-22, 09:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: List your favorite/disappointing/worst TV shows of 2022

Favorites:

Atlanta
Severance
Better Call Saul
Andor
What We Do in the Shadows
The Rehearsal
House of the Dragon
Peacemaker
Euphoria

Most disappointing:
Obi-Wan Kenobi
The Rings of Power

Worst show I watched:
Moon Knight
DJariya (01-01-23)
Old 01-01-23, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Favorites / some I enjoyed more than I expected to:

Severance
Better Call Saul
Andor
The Boys Season 3
Stranger Things Season 4
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk
Moon Knight
The Offer
Peacemaker
House of the Dragon
Reacher
Cobra Kai Season 5
Tulsa King
Tokyo Vice
Werewolf By Night

Disappointing:

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Enjoying but also kind of disappointed:

Willow

I guess I'm pretty easy to please.

Last edited by Boondock Saint; 01-01-23 at 08:25 PM.
DJariya (01-01-23)
Old 01-01-23, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Favorites:
Severance
From
Fleishman is in Trouble
The White Lotus
Peacemaker
Reacher
The Bear
Old 01-02-23, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a lot I watched, but I think the standout/surprise was Slow Horses. Good writing and acting and pleasantly unexpected.

There are a host of things I started too, but just haven’t finished. Speaks partially to quality, enthusiasm, or plain ineptitude (Westworld; we tried to watch and they pulled it without any notice after their announcement. Didn’t even last until the end of the year).
Old 01-02-23, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I don’t watch a ton of series’ anymore but Reacher and Peacemaker were definite high points of enjoyment while Obi-Wan Kenobi was about as disappointing as a tv series can be.
Old 01-02-23, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 318 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Bosch: Legacy (Freevee) - An excellent spin-off/continuation of the Bosch saga.

Old 01-02-23, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My top two are absolutely at the top:
Andor and Strange New Worlds.

Both from franchises that I have been a fan of since the 70s as a little kid, both have struggled over the years to find new ways to tell stories and both went the prequel route this time (with Andor being a prequel to a prequel, like some kind of, prequel-ception)

Andor showed us the gritty, real-life side of the GFFA, without the mysticism of the Jedi, just the cold, hard politics of war.

SNW leaned heavily into a one-off character from the very beginning of the franchise and a known fate for him, and made it something so very special with an amazing cast to portray both new and returning characters.

And Lower Decks continued to just be so damn fun. Started a little soft this season but picked up again for another great ride with our favorite Ensigns.

Notable mention in Rings of Power that took some liberties but still entertained greatly with interesting characters and beautiful settings.

What We Do in the Shadows continued to just be great fun hanging out with some of the dumbest vampires on the planet.

Disappointments:

Kenobi - while it awesome to see Ewan and Hayden back in the saddle, the show was overly long and showed it's corporate meddling influences. Still, it was fun to see a pintsize Leia and Vader admitting to Obi-Wan that he killed Anakin.

I'm still slightly bothered by the decision to have Obi-Wan not be aware of Vader for 10 whole years. It's hard to think that he didn't see some mention of a dark warrior by the name of Vader on the news broadcasts when he was in town.

Picard S2 was a decent step up from S1 but still showed signs of being a show in search of a purpose instead of a story organically coming from decades of previous story telling. But, Alison Pill gave a scene-chewing and -stealing performance as Agnes Jurati and Rios charmed the pants off of everybody (still a dumb decision to leave him in the past) and Seven and Raffi doing the buddy cop routine was priceless.

Old 01-02-23, 12:51 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A lot of my favorites were ones listed here already. But my biggest disappointment was Monarch. I love Susan Sarandon and hoped this might be good. But I couldn't make it past a couple of episodes of this insipid and very poor copy of Nashville. I never thought I'd think that Susan Sarandon was a poor imitation of Connie Britton, but it's true.
Old 01-02-23, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Favorites:

Andor- haven’t fully finished yet (have to watch the last two episodes) but it’s really damn good. I wasn’t sure at first because it seemed pretty slow but it’s gotten a lot more interesting as it’s gone on.

Beavis and Butt-Head- not really the biggest fan of the show originally but this reboot had a lot of funny moments to me.

Peacemaker- a total surprise for me. Really liked it a lot.

Obi-Wan Kenobi- could have been better but still had a lot of cool moments that made it worthwhile to me. Probably could have been better as a movie though.

Middle of the Road:

The Book of Boba Fett- I didn’t really hate it like most because I can admit it wasn’t great either. Some good episodes and some cool moments that made it worth watching and not a total disappointment.

Worst:

Dexter: New Blood- technically started in 2021 but wrapped up in 2022 so I’m counting it. Not much to say that hasn’t been said. Not sure how it’s possible to screw up a finale not once, but twice.

Star Trek: Picard- season two continued to be a dumpster fire. Love the character of Jean Luc Picard and wanted to love the show but it’s just awful.

Didn’t Finish:

House of the Dragon- I tried because my fiancée likes it. I enjoyed it enough but I got a few episodes behind and just don’t really care if I finish it.

She-Hulk- didn’t hate it but just lost interest and didn’t go back to it. Don’t really care if I finish it.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds- I was enjoying it but just kind of stopped watching. I might go back at some point.

I feel like I watched more but then I realize that a lot of shows are ones I’m going back to that are years old (Better Call Saul seasons 1-3, The Walking Dead seasons 1-2 and start of 3, Ted Lasso, King of the Hill seasons 1-4).

Last edited by Mike86; 01-02-23 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-02-23, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Ah I see Book of Boba Fett aired 5 of it's 6 episodes in 2022. Forgot to count that one.

I would call that one a disappointment. I love Ming Na Wen as Fennec. But, I don't really care for Temuera Morrison as Boba and that show was all over the place. It even had bits of Mandalorian sprinkled it with Mando and Grogu because they couldn't finish it strong.

I'm glad they aren't making a 2nd season. They sold it as some badass space crime show, but it was far from that.
Old 01-02-23, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I forgot Beavis and Butthead. I was honestly surprised at how funny some of them are.
Old 01-02-23, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Favorites:

Andor - best Star Wars show since Mandalorian. Looking forward to the next season to wrap things up.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - the only P+ trek show I really enjoyed. Good stories, no ridiculous story arc, and a strong cast, especially Spock. Hoping it doesn't pull an Urkel with Kirk in season 2.

Ghosts - It's a quirky show to be sure, but it's gaining its own footing as it moves away from the storylines from the British version. Just nice to see a non-Chuck Lorre sitcom.

Honorable mention to Rick and Morty for improving a good bit from the previous season.

Disappointing:

Kenobi - I didn't hate it like some did, but it just felt forced (no pun intended). A huge missed opportunity, especially considering Andor shows they're willing to make shows with substance.

Better Call Saul - I really enjoyed the final season, even the black and white episodes, and thought the show ended perfectly. I just didn't want it to end.

Picard S2 - Started out with some potential but turned to shit by the end. Really don't care to see another round of this crap.

Raised by Wolves S2 - lost its eerie edge when the cast greatly expanded. Just seemed to become weird for weird's sake. And it was cancelled, so it can't get it's shit together in the third season.

Archer - it's just fan service at this point but still had a few chuckles. It needs to be put to bed though.

Worst:

Harley Quinn S3 - It's just annoying now. Too disjointed. They're phoning it in at this point.
Old 01-17-23, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Too much TV to keep up, could only muster watching a few new series. Only premium/streaming services I do have free from tmobile - HULU and Paramount+ essentials - I've barely cracked open. Cozied up to a lot of PBS.

Arthur (PBS)
"All Grown Up" segment - one of the most satisfying finales I've seen for an animated kids show. The jump forward to the future, and then going full circle at the end (the show even brought back the original voice actor) - got teary eyed watching part of my childhood come to a close after 20+ seasons.

All Creatures Great and Small S2 (PBS)
I Love That For You (Showtime)
EVIL S3(Paramount+)
Magpie Murders (PBS)
Hotel Portofino (PBS)
Interview with the Vampire (AMC)
The Amazing Race 33/34 (CBS)
Resident Alien S2 (SyFy)
Miss Scarlet and the Duke S2 (PBS)
Old 01-17-23, 08:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Favorites:

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law - Pitch perfect on the tone and feel of the best She-Hulk comics over the years.

Peacemaker - Tons of fun, probably my favorite superhero show yet.

Moon Knight - Love things that are different from the sameness of the standard MCU films and shows.

Andor - Only a few episodes in, but this is good Star Wars.

Disappointments:

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Ok, but I was hoping for so much more.

The Book of Boba Fett - Some good moments, but again, expected better.

I think that’s about it as far as new shows that I watched more than an episode of.

Edit to add: Holy crap, just binged Severance and it easily tops my list.

Last edited by Trevor; 01-20-23 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Feels like Peacemaker was ages ago,but yeah that was a pleasant surprise.

House of the Dragon was better than I expected given how little source material they had for it, and how off the rails GoT got when it went away from the source material. But I think they did a great job of filling in the gaps.
Old 01-17-23, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Favorites:
Beavis and Butthead

Andor
House of the Dragon
Peacemaker
Rings of Power
Ms. Marvel
Chucky Season 2
Tales of the Jedi
Star Trek: Strange New World
Cobra Kai (Season 5)

Most disappointing:
Moon Knight
Picard Season 2
She-Hulk: Attorney at Law
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Worst show I watched:
Willow
Quantum Leap
Book of Boba Fett

Old 01-17-23, 09:24 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Most everything that I'd list has already been mentioned. But I would add:

Best list:
Wellington Paranormal (Really funny show, but I have to turn close captioning on to understand it)

Worst List:
Monarch (I really wanted to like this because of Susan Sarandon, but it was so awful I couldn't watch it)
Old 01-18-23, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Favorite: Tulsa King

Most Disappointing: Willow
Old 01-18-23, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Since Tulsa King aired most of its season in 2022, I would also add that to my favorites list of last year.
Old 01-18-23, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I’m probably missing some, but here’s everything I can recall watching, dropped into buckets. First three are definitely my top three for the year, but the order of everything else is just as I could think of them. It was a pretty great year for good television.

Favorite:
Sandman
Andor
Severance
The Rehearsal
Atlanta
Stranger Things
Peacemaker
Black Bird
The Resort
The Bear
Euphoria
Barry
The Righteous Gemstones
The Boys
Shining Girls
Cabinet of Curiosities
Slow Horses
Prehistoric Planet
Werewolf by Night
We Own This City

Enjoyed:
Night Sky
Murderville
Abbott Elementary
Reacher
She-Hulk
The Rings of Power
Tokyo Vice
Winning Time
What We Do in the Shadows
The White Lotus
Moon Knight
Archive 81
Rick and Morty
Kids in the Hall
Reboot
From
Pam and Tommy
The Patient
The Terminal List
Titans
Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special
Search Party
Candy

Disappointing:
Kenobi
Ms Marvel
House of the Dragon
Better Call Saul
Outer Range
The Midnight Club
The Afterparty
Minx
Halo
All of Us are Dead
Paper Girls
Evil

Worst:
The Book of Boba Fett
The Walking Dead
Old 01-19-23, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Enjoyed:
Abbott Elementary...hilarious with heart
Kindred....fascinating sci fi
Ghosts - CBS...Hilarious remake of the UK series
House of the Dragon...waaay better than I thought it would be
Julia - HBO...Julia Child fan so this was good
Peacemaker...Hilarious
Young Justice....can see why many hated it. But i loved it.
Avenue 5...insane show
Prodigy - Paramount +...New Trek for kids but with Grown ups in mknd
Tulsa King...fun fish out of water show
Discovery....Not a perfect show, and I can see why many hate it. But i love it and love that its doing things different.
The Equalizer...Started binging s1 and s2 ( 2022 season?) and am enjoying it.
Halo....Really enjoyed this.

Liked:
Strange New Worlds - Good show with a great cast. But ultimately, its just TOS stories rehashed to suckle Trekkies at the Nostalgia teat. Nothing brave here...
Picard...i enjoyed it but can see why many felt let down.

Cant really think of any shows i hated. I pick my shows carefully.

Old 01-19-23, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll add Interview with the Vampire to my favorites. I was prepared for the worst and was pleasantly surprised.
PhantomStranger (01-19-23)
Old 01-19-23, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Top Ten Favorites (in alphabetical order):
After Life Season 3
All Creatures Great & Small Season 2
Barry Season 3
Ms Marvel Season 1
The Rehearsal Season 1
Reservation Dogs Season 2
The Righteous Gemstones Season 2
The Rings of Power Season 1
The Sandman Season 1
She-Hulk: Attorney at Law Season 1
Old 01-19-23, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I'll add Interview with the Vampire to my favorites. I was prepared for the worst and was pleasantly surprised.
As someone who loved the book and movie adaptation, for different reasons, I was prepared for the show to be a disaster with the new setting and character changes. But it's a quality show which honors the spirit of the book, if not quite the letter.
Boondock Saint (01-19-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.