Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who - 60th Anniversary Specials - November 2023

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-25-22, 01:08 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Doctor Who's BBC centenary special delivered quite the twist as Jodie Whittaker's Thirteenth Doctor regenerated into none other than David Tennant.

But what does it mean for the Fourteenth Doctor, Donna Noble and new Who star Ncuti Gatwa? To partially quote Gatwa's Doctor, here's everything we know about "what the hell is going on here".

How did Jodie Whittaker regenerate into David Tennant?

"How? What? Why?" Showrunner Russell T Davies has said that fans will have a year to speculate about what's happening before "all hell lets loose" in three special episodes marking Doctor Who's 60th anniversary.

"“If you thought the appearance of David Tennant was a shock, we’ve got plenty more surprises on the way!" he adds.

What's the air date for Doctor Who's special 60th anniversary episodes?

The three special episodes are set to air in November 2023.

What's the plot?

That's a very good question.

Speaking at the time David Tennant and Catherine Tate's return as the Doctor and Donna was announced, showrunner Russell T Davies teased: "Maybe this is a missing story. Or a parallel world. Or a dream, or a trick, or a flashback. The only thing I can confirm is that it’s going to be spectacular, as two of our greatest stars reunite for the battle of a lifetime.”

We also know Heartstopper's Yasmin Finney has joined the cast as Rose, who will somehow be involved. And there's also a mysterious new character played by Neil Patrick Harris.

How can there be another Rose in Doctor Who?

As Russell T Davies says: "You’ll find out in 2023, but it’s an absolute joy to welcome Yasmin to the Doctor Who set. We all fell in love with her in Heartstopper, one of those shows which changes the world - and now Yasmin can change the Whoniverse!”

Who is the Fourteenth Doctor?

David Tennant, previously known as the Tenth Doctor, is now also known as the Fourteenth Doctor. Confused? Don't worry, he seems a little perplexed too.

In a teaser for the upcoming episodes the Fourteenth Doctor can be heard confessing that he doesn't really know himself any more!

When will Ncuti Gatwa's Fifteenth Doctor's first official episode air?

Ncuti Gatwa's first official Doctor Who episode is due to air over the festive period in 2023.

And showrunner Russell T Davies has promised that "the path to Ncuti’s Fifteenth Doctor is laden with mystery, horror, robots, puppets, danger and fun!"

There's a new Doctor Who companion stepping into the TARDIS

Millie Gibson joins the cast of Doctor Who as Ruby Sunday, new companion to Ncuti Gatwa's Fifteenth Doctor.

She'll be making her debut over the festive period in 2023 and she can't wait. "It is a gift of a role, and a dream come true, and I will do everything to try and fill the boots the fellow companions have travelled in before me," she says.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (12-25-22)
Old 12-25-22, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Doctor Who - 60th Anniversary Specials - November 2023

And there's also a mysterious new character played by Neil Patrick Harris.
Does this mean he's not the Celestial Toymaker as speculated?
Old 12-25-22, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

"Allons-y!" So frickin' awesome!! It's like stepping into the Tardis and going back to those days. Can't wait.
Old 12-26-22, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Loved that trailer. Love Tennant. But what has me most excited is the return of Donna Noble.
Old 03-21-23, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Doctor Who -Doom's Day

Doom’s Day will kick off on Doctor Who digital channels later this year followed by products from Doctor Who Magazine, Titan Comics, Penguin Random House, East Side Games, Big Finish and BBC Audio, each telling a section of Doom’s story.Each partner will create their own adventures for Doom’s Day, each focusing on one of the 24 hours Doom has left on the clock. The standalone stories will also have an overarching narrative that will play out before the finale which will release on Doctor Who digital channels.

More details on each individual Doom’s Day storyline will be revealed.

That trailer looks absolutely terrible.

Reminds me of that Timelord Victorious "event" from a few years back that was an overwrought mess. Sounds like an interesting concept, but it will be spread out over Big Finish audio dramas, comics, novels, and video games.

Old 03-21-23, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Maybe Doctor Who will go back to what it was when it was rebooted with the help of Disney's money.
Old 05-13-23, 08:44 PM

The TARDIS lands in time to celebrate its 60th anniversary, and the trailer exclusively revealed the titles of the three special episodes coming later this year.

Special One: THE STAR BEAST
Special Two: WILD BLUE YONDER
Special Three: THE GIGGLE
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Boondock Saint (05-14-23), The Cow (05-13-23)
Old 09-23-23, 08:25 PM

Old 09-23-23, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Happy to see Catherine Tate back, as I really disliked how they'd ended things with Donna Noble. After all she experienced, they just left her with a mind wipe and winning lotto ticket. That would have been well and good for the old Donna, but it felt pretty superficial after witnessing her growth as a character in series 4.

I always thought it would have been lovely if they somehow reunited her with the real guy she was married to in that virtual world from "Forest of the Dead" instead of having her marry the first willing guy that came along. I know that's totally in character for the old Donna... I just hated the regression.
RocShemp (09-25-23)
Old 09-24-23, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Donna Noble is my favorite Nu Who companion, so I'm excited to see her back. Really looking forward to this special.
Old 09-25-23, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

I really may consider just buying these. I assume they’ll be on Apple Store? I really don’t want to subscribe to another service.
Old 09-25-23, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I really may consider just buying these. I assume they’ll be on Apple Store? I really don’t want to subscribe to another service.
Isn't Disney going to have the streaming rights to these (at least in the United States)? So chances are they'll only be available on Disney+.
Old 10-19-23, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BBC Blocked From Releasing First Doctor Who Episodes After Vicious - And Public - Rights Dispute

The BBC has been blocked from releasing the first Doctor Who story by the son of writer Anthony Coburn following a vicious dispute over the broadcast rights. Directed by Waris Hussein, An Unearthly Child was the show's debut story, introducing William Hartnell's First Doctor as he, granddaughter Susan (Carole Ann Ford), and schoolteachers Ian Chesterton (William Russell) and Barbara Wright (Jacqueline Hill) travel from 1960s London to humanities' earliest days. Broadcast on November 23, 1963, the episode was overshadowed by the coverage of US President John F. Kennedy's assassination but has since been recognized for its pivotal place in pop culture.

While the BBC iPlayer's expanded Doctor Who library will feature nearly every story in time for the 60th anniversary, the BBC has revealed to RadioTimes.com that all four episodes comprising An Unearthly Child will be omitted due to disputes over the show's rights.
More information on the dispute can be found in this reddit topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/c...ersy_overview/

Hope this jerkass gets sued into oblivion.
Old 10-25-23, 03:12 PM

It’s a good time to be a Doctor Who fan, especially if you have a Disney+ subscription. The streamer on Wednesday released the official trailer for its upcoming trio of Doctor Who specials, which reunite the Fourteenth Doctor (played by David Tennant) with Donna Temple-Noble (Catherine Tate) “as they come face-to-face with their most terrifying villain yet: the Toymaker” (Neil Patrick Harris).

The first special, “The Star Beast,” will stream on Saturday, Nov. 25, followed by “Wild Blue Yonder” on Saturday, Dec. 2, and “The Giggle” on Saturday, Dec. 9. The specials will premiere globally on Disney+, except in Ireland and the UK, where they will be broadcast on the BBC.

Also returning for the specials are Jacqueline King as Sylvia Noble, Karl Collins as Shaun Temple, and Jemma Redgrave as Kate Lethbridge-Stewart. Newcomers include Yasmin Finney as Rose Temple-Noble, Miriam Margolyes as the voice of the Meep and Ruth Madeley as Shirley Anne Bingham.

Additionally, Disney+ has confirmed that the next season of Doctor Who (starring Sex Education‘s Ncuti Gatwa as the Fifteenth Doctor) will premiere sometime in 2024.
https://tvline.com/trailers/doctor-w...eo-1235065580/
miller_time22 (10-25-23)
Old 10-25-23, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

'bout time we got some dates.

Though I figured all three would come out in November.
Old 10-25-23, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

They will not air on BBC America?
Old 10-25-23, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
They will not air on BBC America?
Nope. It's worldwide distribution (at least outside of the UK/Ireland) is now on Disney+.
Old 10-26-23, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Crazy how it feels like the 50th Anniversary was just airing and they did a week of marathons and that cool simulcast event with BBC America.
Old 11-25-23, 12:15 PM

The first special will be up on Disney+ in 15 minutes.

Boondock Saint (11-25-23)
Old 11-25-23, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was a mediocre start. Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but not something I ever want to see again, despite the return of Donna Noble.
Old 11-25-23, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Will Max continue to show Modern Day Dr Who seasons 1 thru 13 but Disney Plus will only show the current season's episodes?
Old 11-25-23, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Will Max continue to show Modern Day Dr Who seasons 1 thru 13 but Disney Plus will only show the current season's episodes?
That's a good question, regarding Max. All I've seen mentioned so far is that the upcoming season is being labeled as Season 1 by Disney. So, despite this new special referencing Jodie Whittaker's Doctor, it seems Disney will ignore her and all previous Doctors, as far as available seasons/series are concerned.

I tried Googling an answer but all I found were articles and threads lamenting Disney excluding the previous seasons.
Old 11-25-23, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
They are still on Max so they could be under a different, older contract.

Then again, Max lost the UK Ghosts to CBS and Paramount+. But CBS is airing and Paramount+ is streaming it now. Unlike Disney+ and the previous Who seasons.
Old 11-26-23, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
They are still on Max so they could be under a different, older contract.
Yep, the HBO Max contract was signed in 2019, and goes through mid 2025;

https://drewsclues.boo/exclusive-doc...-revealed-usa/
...HBO Max will continue to be the streaming home of Doctor Who (2005), The Sarah Jane Adventures, and Torchwood, until July 27th, 2025.

To understand why this is happening, we’ve consulted with the Time Lord himself (itself?) for a history lesson. Prior to HBO Max, the USA streaming rights for Doctor Who catalog were held by Prime Video. This deal started March 27, 2016 when Series 1-8 joined the Prime Video library. In August 2019, WarnerMedia (now Warner Bros Discovery) announced they had acquired the streaming rights for their upcoming launch of HBO Max. This pact also included the spin-offs, Torchwood, and Sarah Jane Adventures as well as additional BBC series including Luther and The Office. Doctor Who Series 1-11 arrived on HBO Max at launch on May 27, 2020.
It's likely that Disney will scoop up the back catalog once the Max contract ends.
Old 11-26-23, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's likely that Disney will scoop up the back catalog once the Max contract ends.
If they do, I wonder if at that time they'll renumber the upcoming (and subsequent) season(s) or label them differently.

What of the physical media rights? Who has those?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.