Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-22, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by milo bloom
There was another spinoff before Frasier: The Tortelli's, about Carla's ex-husband and his new family. I sorta remember watching it but it was very short lived.
Yes, that's why in the post above the graphic clearly shows the Tortelli family and the writer of that post say the new one will be the "third" spinoff.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (12-18-22)
Old 12-16-22, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
There was another spinoff before Frasier: The Tortelli's, about Carla's ex-husband and his new family. I sorta remember watching it but it was very short lived.
I remember that show. Did the episodes eventually get included in the Cheers syndication package and rebranded as Cheers episodes? (kinda like The Ropers spinoff later becoming a part of the Three's Company syndication package)
Old 12-16-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Yes, that's why in the post above the graphic clearly shows the Tortelli family and the writer of that post say the new one will be the "third" spinoff.
Maybe the writer in that post was talking about a third thread spinoff from the death notice of Kristie Alley on DVD Talk and not a third spinoff television series. The new Fraser series won't be spinoff of Cheers. It will be a spinoff of a spinoff. I wonder how many spinoffs of spinoffs we've had in television history. There was Checking In which was a spinoff of the Jeffersons which was a spinoff of All in the Family. Most of the Star Trek shows weren't spinoffs but new shows set in the same universe. Probably the same with all the CSI and Law & Order shows. Some people think Wings was a spinoff of Cheers but it was just a show set in the same continuity.
Old 12-16-22, 01:18 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
The new Fraser series won't be spinoff of Cheers. It will be a spinoff of a spinoff. I wonder how many spinoffs of spinoffs we've had in television history.
Old 12-16-22, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by story

Old 12-16-22, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new Fraser series won't be spinoff of Cheers. It will be a spinoff of a spinoff. I wonder how many spinoffs of spinoffs we've had in television history. There was Checking In which was a spinoff of the Jeffersons which was a spinoff of All in the Family. Most of the Star Trek shows weren't spinoffs but new shows set in the same universe. Probably the same with all the CSI and Law & Order shows. Some people think Wings was a spinoff of Cheers but it was just a show set in the same continuity.
Good Times was a spinoff of Maude which was a spinoff of All in the Family. That's all I got, unless you consider Happy Days to be a spinoff of Love, American Style, and Happy Days had a bunch of spinoffs of its own.
Old 12-16-22, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Checking In was a spinoff of The Jeffersons (which was a spinoff of All In The Family) that lasted all of four episodes.

Carlton the Doorman was a failed pilot, an animated spinoff of Rhoda, which was a spinoff of Mary Tyler Moore

And believe it or not, that wasn't the only failed animated spinoff of a spinoff.
Old 12-16-22, 02:30 PM

And if this conversation goes much further, this thread may become a spinoff of a spinoff!
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (12-17-22)
Old 12-16-22, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Maybe the writer in that post was talking about a third thread spinoff from the death notice of Kristie Alley on DVD Talk and not a third spinoff television series. The new Fraser series won't be spinoff of Cheers. It will be a spinoff of a spinoff. I wonder how many spinoffs of spinoffs we've had in television history. There was Checking In which was a spinoff of the Jeffersons which was a spinoff of All in the Family. Most of the Star Trek shows weren't spinoffs but new shows set in the same universe. Probably the same with all the CSI and Law & Order shows. Some people think Wings was a spinoff of Cheers but it was just a show set in the same continuity.
I can remember hearing some banter back in the day that Harry the Hat was supposed to be Judge Harry Stone from Night Court.

Looked up the character, and Harry the Hat was named Harry Gittes, so it doesn't appear that he's the same character from Night Court.

Speaking of Wings, I think that Norm & Cliff and Frasier & Lilith guested on that series, so that might why people think it's a spin-off.
Old 12-16-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Speaking of Wings, I think that Norm & Cliff and Frasier & Lilith guested on that series, so that might why people think it's a spin-off.
And the chick who plays Roz on Frasier was on an episode of Wings - but not as Roz.
And John Mahoney was on an episode of Cheers before he went to Frasier - also a different character.
Very incestuous between these shows.
Old 12-16-22, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
And John Mahoney was on an episode of Cheers before he went to Frasier - also a different character.
Beer and Pretzels, that's our game, C-H-E-R-S!
Old 12-16-22, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Good Times was a spinoff of Maude which was a spinoff of All in the Family. That's all I got, unless you consider Happy Days to be a spinoff of Love, American Style, and Happy Days had a bunch of spinoffs of its own.
JAG spun off the entire NCIS universe.
Vampire Diaries spun off the Originals with spun off Legacies.

Last edited by Kdogg; 12-16-22 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-16-22, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll take your word for it, I'm not really familiar with any of those shows.
Old 12-16-22, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Rebecca Howe made an appearance on Wings as well.
Old 12-16-22, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I watched Wings when it originally aired but somehow missed all of those Cheers cameos.
Old 12-16-22, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
Gloria from All in the Family got a spinoff of her own in 1982. In 1982 Archie Bunker's Place, a spinoff of All in the Family, was on the air. Gloria made appearances on Archie Bunker's Place, so Gloria could technically be a spinoff of Archie Bunker's Place and not All in the Family.
Old 12-16-22, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

I can remember hearing some banter back in the day that Harry the Hat was supposed to be Judge Harry Stone from Night Court.

Looked up the character, and Harry the Hat was named Harry Gittes, so it doesn't appear that he's the same character from Night Court.

If Harry on Night Court had been the same character as Harry the Hat, then the writers of the Cheers episode where Harry was introduced would be entitled to a stake in Night Court and the syndication money.
Old 12-16-22, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Some of my very favorite Cheers episodes are the ones where Harry appeared. I don't think I'd ever considered a connection between the roles on that show and Night Court.
Old 12-16-22, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Beer and Pretzels, that's our game, C-H-E-R-S!
I think I've mentioned it before, but watching that episode I always thought it would go meta and at the end of the episode he'd break out "Where Everybody Knows Your Name", but Rebecca would reject it.
It was the final season, and they were just pulling back the curtains on everything, like Ted Danson revealing he wears a rug.

As for Harry the Hat being Judge Harry Stone, unlikely as on Cheers he'd been arrested (Sam had to bail him out to participate in the poker game with coach...the reveal of that episode was one of the happiest moments in the run of the show by the way), not sure they'd make him an NYC judge with likely a criminal record.
Old 12-17-22, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I think I've mentioned it before, but watching that episode I always thought it would go meta and at the end of the episode he'd break out "Where Everybody Knows Your Name", but Rebecca would reject it.
It was the final season, and they were just pulling back the curtains on everything, like Ted Danson revealing he wears a rug.

As for Harry the Hat being Judge Harry Stone, unlikely as on Cheers he'd been arrested (Sam had to bail him out to participate in the poker game with coach...the reveal of that episode was one of the happiest moments in the run of the show by the way), not sure they'd make him an NYC judge with likely a criminal record.
He's a con man. You don't think he could've faked an identity? C'mon!
Old 12-18-22, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

So what's everyone's favorite storyline/episode?

Hand's down for me is S01E05: "Coach's Daughter." At the end of the episode when Coach is discussing his late wife's unconventional beauty with his daughter, it's-for me, the most heartwarming moment in TV history, not just Cheers. Colasanto's ernest performance was just the stuff of legend.

I love the show but no other scene or performance even comes close.
Old 12-18-22, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Hand's down for me is S01E05: "Coach's Daughter." At the end of the episode when Coach is discussing his late wife's unconventional beauty with his daughter, it's-for me, the most heartwarming moment in TV history, not just Cheers. Colasanto's ernest performance was just the stuff of legend.

I love the show but no other scene or performance even comes close.
I remember that one. It was really good.

For all around laughs, I loved Cheers rivalry with Gary’s Olde Towne Tavern. No matter how clever the Cheers crew thought they were, Gary always seemed to get the better of them.
Old 12-18-22, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gloria from All in the Family got a spinoff of her own in 1982. In 1982 Archie Bunker's Place, a spinoff of All in the Family, was on the air. Gloria made appearances on Archie Bunker's Place, so Gloria could technically be a spinoff of Archie Bunker's Place and not All in the Family.
I guess technically that's true, but personally I've always seen Archie Bunker's Place as more of a re-titled continuation of All in the Family rather than a true spinoff, but I guess that's up for debate.

Old 12-18-22, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Too hard to say. Although I will say that my favorite Woody episode is Golden Boyd. So damn funny.
Old 12-18-22, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Sam buying the bar back, for a dollar (75 cents actually), really made me happy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.