Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-22, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

I think the whole series is still streaming on Crave, for us canucks.
The following users liked this post:
ViewAskewbian (12-14-22)
Old 12-14-22, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
You realize this is a thread about the show!!
Old 12-14-22, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
You realize this is a thread about the show!!
I do realize it is a thread about a TV show, Mathesar.

Spoiler:

story (12-15-22)
Old 12-15-22, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Kirstie Alley dead at 71

Originally Posted by Paff
Sam would only get tips the 2 and a half seasons he wasn't owner. You don't tip the owner of the establishment as they make money on every drink sold already.
This is nuts. If you don't tip the person making your drink (whoever he is) you will start to get weak drinks. Also, many bars pool tips to share between bartenders, or barbacks, so you are potentially screwing over a lot of people by not tipping. When I was barbacking, I would typically get around $80-$120 a night from my share of bartender's tips. It's a horrible job, and if I wasn't getting that extra money, I wouldn't have done it.
Old 12-15-22, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Earlier this fall I watched season one of Cheers in it's entirely for the first time probably since late 80s syndication. My two biggest "adult me" takeaways...

1) It was great from the jump. Other than a few antiquated story lines, by today's standards, season one was funny from the first episode.
2) Shelley Long was fantastic. She's got the most difficult role on the show because she's kind of an antagonist to the fun, and you're still supposed to like her. Other than the highlights, I don't remember how every moment of hers plays the next four seasons, but, while everyone was at least good in season one, she was great, and she deserved that Emmy she won that year.
Old 12-15-22, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
This is nuts. If you don't tip the person making your drink (whoever he is) you will start to get weak drinks. Also, many bars pool tips to share between bartenders, or barbacks, so you are potentially screwing over a lot of people by not tipping. When I was barbacking, I would typically get around $80-$120 a night from my share of bartender's tips. It's a horrible job, and if I wasn't getting that extra money, I wouldn't have done it.
Sam was the owner, any tips given by people he served would have gone in the tip jar for Coach/Carla/Diane/Woody/etc. As already mentioned, as the owner he would get paid from a separate column on the spreadsheet (as if Sam would use a spreadsheet).
Old 12-15-22, 04:38 PM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
This thread is great. I haven't watched Cheers in a long time, but now I want to start binge watching it from the beginning.
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Agreed. I don't think I've seen the bulk of this show. I think I'll give it a watch come the new year.
I kinda do, too. Can we coordinate this for the top of 2023 here, somehow? Like, one thread per season, something like that?
cultshock (12-15-22)
Old 12-15-22, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Sam was the owner, any tips given by people he served would have gone in the tip jar for Coach/Carla/Diane/Woody/etc. As already mentioned, as the owner he would get paid from a separate column on the spreadsheet (as if Sam would use a spreadsheet).
I don't see why Sam would not be entitled to a share of the tips. He was not just a hands off owner... he filled the position of a full time bartender as well. The times we see him in his office were probably during his off hours where he would do his bookwork. He probably worked VERY long hours.
Old 12-15-22, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
as the owner he would get paid from a separate column on the spreadsheet (as if Sam would use a spreadsheet).
After Sam regained possession of the bar, he couldn't figure out how to use the computerized system.

Sam: When I owned the bar before, I just kept track of the inventory in a little notebook
Carla: No you didn't
Sam: Yeah....well I meant to.
Old 12-15-22, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

I don't care how the tips get split. My point was if you're sitting at the bar all day and the bartender keeps refilling your glass, you've got to tip him for his services no matter who actually owns the bar. That's part of the unspoken contract between server and patron.
Old 12-15-22, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't care how the tips get split. My point was if you're sitting at the bar all day and the bartender keeps refilling your glass, you've got to tip him for his services no matter who actually owns the bar. That's part of the unspoken contract between server and patron.
Maybe Norm tipped out of pocket at the end of every night, even though all his drinks went to his tab.
Old 12-15-22, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by T-bone22
Maybe Norm tipped out of pocket at the end of every night, even though all his drinks went to his tab.
I mean, if it happened, we had plenty of chances to see it in 273 episodes and I don't think we ever did.
Old 12-15-22, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was listening to James Burrows on Conan's podcast on my drive home, and he said the "Norm!" idea came from Nicholas Colosanto, who was a regular at a bar where they shouted his name when he entered.
Old 12-15-22, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

My wife has worked at several restaurants where the working owners get a cut of the tips. Probably not right (or legal?), but it seems to be pretty commonplace. Based on what she's told me, there is a lot of shadiness going on in the restaurant industry.
Old 12-15-22, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife has worked at several restaurants where the working owners get a cut of the tips. Probably not right (or legal?), but it seems to be pretty commonplace. Based on what she's told me, there is a lot of shadiness going on in the restaurant industry.
I don't see anything wrong with it. They are essentially "hiring" themselves to fill a position. They should be tipped for their service while performing that role.
Old 12-15-22, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a place back in the shtetl that was a kosher deli in the front and mohel in the back. Lots of tsuris about who got a cut of the tips.
Old 12-15-22, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I mean, if it happened, we had plenty of chances to see it in 273 episodes and I don't think we ever did.
I feel like I recall Norm reaching into his jacket pocket and tossing a dollar on the bar as he got up to leave.

Of course, it’s been years since I watched the show so I may just be making it up.
Old 12-15-22, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Mod Note: There's an excellent thread celebrating and remembering Kristie Alley who recently passed away at age 71. This thread is starting with posts spun out of that thread.
Finally, a third Cheers spinoff!

Old 12-15-22, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Whenever I was on Cheers I always tipped strong for the first drink, and then a buck a drink thereafter.
Old 12-15-22, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

So, this was what the producers wanted to use for the theme song for the show, but apparently it was tied up for some other use and they had Gary Portnoy write another song instead. I don't think the show would have been the same if they had the opportunity to use their first choice. It sounds more like it should be a theme to a 1970's Britcom.

Old 12-15-22, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Glad to see some lively Cheers discussion. A while back I started a rewatch club here which was fun. I think we got through most of season 1.
story (12-15-22)
Old 12-16-22, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by T-bone22
In a sitcom situation, you're probably rarely going to see someone tip a waitperson or bartender unless it's going to be a plot point or there's going to be a joke attached to it.

It's one of those mundane things they skip over -- like turning the lights on/off when entering or leaving a room -- because it's a minor distraction and isn't relevant to what's going on.
Old 12-16-22, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
So, this was what the producers wanted to use for the theme song for the show, but apparently it was tied up for some other use and they had Gary Portnoy write another song instead. I don't think the show would have been the same if they had the opportunity to use their first choice. It sounds more like it should be a theme to a 1970's Britcom.

People Like Us (almost Became the Cheers Theme) - YouTube
God, that's terrible. I can't imagine how that was ever under consideration.

The Cheers theme and credits sequence is one of the best, if not the best, ones in television history.
Old 12-16-22, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
A while back I started a rewatch club here which was fun. I think we got through most of season 1.
I remember that!!
Old 12-16-22, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

There was another spinoff before Frasier: The Tortelli's, about Carla's ex-husband and his new family. I sorta remember watching it but it was very short lived.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.