Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Andor (S1E12) - Season Finale - “Rix Road” - 11/23/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-22-22, 07:29 PM

Received 3,213 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Will return for a second and final season consisting of 12 episodes, likely not until mid to late 2024. Production started earlier this week and will be filming until August 2023.
Old 11-23-22, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Andor (S1E12) - Season Finale - “Rix Road” - 11/23/22

FYI. There is a post credits tag.
Old 11-23-22, 07:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Two good recap/reviews of episode 12 and kind of the entire season critique.

https://www.vulture.com/article/ando...-12-recap.html

https://www.gamesradar.com/andor-epi...r-wars-finale/

Both articles heap praise on the show, but they do also bring up a few good points that this finale kind of missed the mark too -- tame ending, a big full circle, and only portends that season 2 will involve more Luthen, Cassian, Vel missions against the Empire. Etc. Read the articles, better explained.

Also, the second article makes a good observation that, given season 2 is going to race thru a year every 3 episodes, that the Andor show we've just watched, the kind of show it is, we will miss. Season 2 will be kind of unrecognizable to Season 1, which spent meticulous amounts of time developing characters intimately. Season 2 will kind of race by, will/may lack that quality.
Old 11-23-22, 07:07 AM

Also....Reddit theory.... Luthen Rael could be Rael Averross, a Jedi apprentice to Dooku. Averross is officially in canon via books.
Old 11-23-22, 08:10 AM

Received 3,213 Likes on 2,187 Posts
Re: Andor (S1E12) - Season Finale - “Rix Road” - 11/23/22

Wow. That was fantastic.
Old 11-23-22, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by xe.kilroy View Post
Two good recap/reviews of episode 12 and kind of the entire season critique.

https://www.vulture.com/article/ando...-12-recap.html

https://www.gamesradar.com/andor-epi...r-wars-finale/

Both articles heap praise on the show, but they do also bring up a few good points that this finale kind of missed the mark too -- tame ending, a big full circle, and only portends that season 2 will involve more Luthen, Cassian, Vel missions against the Empire. Etc. Read the articles, better explained.

Also, the second article makes a good observation that, given season 2 is going to race thru a year every 3 episodes, that the Andor show we've just watched, the kind of show it is, we will miss. Season 2 will be kind of unrecognizable to Season 1, which spent meticulous amounts of time developing characters intimately. Season 2 will kind of race by, will/may lack that quality.
I read the Vulture article and personally it seems kind of weird to me to devote so much time criticizing where they think the show is going for the next season.

For me, this finale delivered. Brilliant use of the hologram technology we first saw a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when Obi Wan was Leia's only hope.

Also, it seems the Clerks boys are going to have to rethink their Death Star contractor arguments...
The following 2 users liked this post by JeremyM:
majorjoe23 (11-25-22), xe.kilroy (11-23-22)
Old 11-23-22, 09:46 AM

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts

Tame ending? Lol. This was amazing. Another episode where the tension just keeps ratcheting up and up and up. This battle will change a lot of the characters. Cassian finally saw what his mom wanted him to see, Syrill finally got what he wanted, Deedra's resolve will only get stronger (wife and I were thinking she was going to get torn to shreds) and Luthen got what he really wanted, another piece to his rebellion with Cassian. This has set the bar impossibly high for a series, so cohesive and consistent in its vision.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (11-23-22)
Old 11-23-22, 10:33 AM

Received 366 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03 View Post
FYI. There is a post credits tag.
Spoiler:
I love that they didn’t let that loose end just hang there. Brought it full circle.

Loved the finale. Loved that - while integral to the story and series - Andor himself stayed low key and wasn’t out in the open.

I also like the fact that it wasn’t a bloodbath for the characters we’ve grown to love. Nearly every single one of them is making it into the next season. It’ll be interesting to see what parts they play in the bigger picture. I’m kind of excited for the new format of season two. It seems like it’ll be several “films” stacked in the season. I wanna see who else from the movies they pull in.

I want to see more characters from Rogue One.

And believe it or not, I’d like to see a Jedi or two. Not for the “laser sword” battles, but just as a link, and and to get an introduction to their beliefs and ways of trusting the Force.

This is a series that I will watch again.
Old 11-23-22, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea Star Wars to me is the Force and lightsabers...come on admit it in all the movies they are your fav scenes. This was wonderfully done series but honestly put story in another setting this could have been not in star wars universe at all. It's why it has such low ratings no force users or jedi with sabers. Rogue One is a let down without that Vader scene at the end to cap it all off...this show was missing that element.
Old 11-23-22, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know, a lot of or maybe even most of my favorite scenes in the films don't involve lightsabers. Nothing against them but I see Star Wars as more than that. The original film had the handoff of the lightsaber to Luke by Obi Wan, the Cantina fight scene, the training on the Falcon, and the Obi Wan/Vader duel. That's a big chunk of the film without any laser swords.
Old 11-23-22, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 502 Likes on 358 Posts

For all the people that didn't like Rogue One because they couldn't care about any of the characters, Andor is giving them to you in spades.
Rob V (11-27-22)
Old 11-23-22, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

A very good series, definitely restored some of my faith in Lucasfilm. Really looking forward to S2 (Dantooine, Yavin bases, etc) hopefully the scope is a bit grander. They aren't changing the format, but I will say that shooting 120 minutes and chopping it into 40minute "episodes" still doesn't work for me, not when Marvel does it, and not here either. The style choices I wish were different as well (shaky cam with the modern score) I really don't need Star Wars to look and sound like the Bourne series.
Old 11-23-22, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts

Decent finale. Overall, A- grade season for me. The story wasn’t all that great, but it is carried by the fantastic production value, props, script, acting, and costumes. This show deserves multiple Emmys.

The Eye episode is definitely one of the best SW moments ever.

and I think the post credits scene is the first one for the franchise???
Old 11-25-22, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
For all the people that didn't like Rogue One because they couldn't care about any of the characters, Andor is giving them to you in spades.
Bet we see Mads Mikkelson and story of Galen Erso escaping Empire and going into hiding as a side plot. Nobody in the rebellion had a clue the Death Star existed until Rogue One. It doesn't become part of Cassian's story until then. The tease is about another character. One who didn't make it to Rogue One.
Maybe Luthen finds out about it but never gets a chance to send out a warning. Luthen maybe helps Erso escape. If Luthen is a Jedi, he gets onto the Death Star and gets killed buying time for the Ersos to get to an escape ship. If Vader happens to be on Death Star at same time, Vader might kill him in lighysaber duel.

Last edited by rw2516; 11-25-22 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-25-22, 08:17 AM

Really good article, with Tony Gilroy talking in depth about the show, the characters, season 2, etc

https://www.fandom.com/articles/ando...n-1-spoilers-2
Old 11-25-22, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I felt Syril's role in this story was a big letdown. It started out interesting, but his story after he lost his job was all set-up to make him travel to Ferrix so he could be the one to rescue Dedra from an angry mob. How convenient. What was his motivation for going there? Was he simply hoping to catch a glimpse of Dedra? I never bought their so-called chemistry, so if his affection for her was his only reason for going, I think it was weak. And even if he and Dedra are now going to be together, so what? What does that have to do with the larger story? I enjoyed the rest of the finale and the series overall. Now the long wait for Season 2....
xe.kilroy (11-25-22)
Old 11-25-22, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 648 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by xe.kilroy View Post
Really good article, with Tony Gilroy talking in depth about the show, the characters, season 2, etc

https://www.fandom.com/articles/ando...n-1-spoilers-2
Loving what I am hearing for Season 2, but I'm less excited over the "Moonlighting"-style romantic comedy spin-off series for Dedra and Syril where they go off on their own to hunt Cassian and possibly true love.

Seriously though, only one more season to pack all that into?! Makes me want another series set in this time period that truly is about the various rebel factions and them coming together.
xe.kilroy (11-27-22)
Old 11-26-22, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
I felt Syril's role in this story was a big letdown. It started out interesting, but his story after he lost his job was all set-up to make him travel to Ferrix so he could be the one to rescue Dedra from an angry mob. How convenient. What was his motivation for going there? Was he simply hoping to catch a glimpse of Dedra? I never bought their so-called chemistry, so if his affection for her was his only reason for going, I think it was weak. And even if he and Dedra are now going to be together, so what? What does that have to do with the larger story? I enjoyed the rest of the finale and the series overall. Now the long wait for Season 2....
I thought Syril was still trying to catch Cassian. He wants to clear his name for the debacle on Ferrix which was kinda his fault (but taking responsibility for his actions and knowing when to walk away don't seem to be traits he possesses). Dedra being there and him being able to save her was just icing on his stalker cake.
The following 2 users liked this post by lisadoris:
Abob Teff (11-26-22), devilshalo (11-28-22)
Old 11-26-22, 07:04 AM

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris View Post
I thought Syril was still trying to catch Cassian. He wants to clear his name for the debacle on Ferrix which was kinda his fault (but taking responsibility for his actions and knowing when to walk away don't seem to be traits he possesses). Dedra being there and him being able to save her was just icing on his stalker cake.
This, Andor was the reason everyone was there, Dedra wanted him to get to Luthen, Syril to restore his reputation, Luthen to kill him.

I love that this show puts on display just how brutal both sides can be but for entirely different reasons. The Empire being more indiscriminate and open with their atrocities (almost carefree) and the burgeoning Rebellion making what they see as sacrifices for the advancement of their cause (Luthen letting 50 "rebels" die so as not to expose the bigger picture, Mon Mothma sacrificing her daughter's future). I was pumped up for this series when it was announced, but never in my wildest dreams did I think it would turn out so well. If only as much thought and care had been put into the prequels/sequels.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 11-26-22 at 07:14 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SmackDaddy:
Abob Teff (11-26-22), devilshalo (11-28-22), majorjoe23 (11-26-22), Wolf359 (11-26-22)
Old 11-27-22, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

This is an absolutely fantastic show and the finale was excellent. Loved the hologram speech at the funeral and the dramatic tension leading up to it. While I understand the sentiment, I disagree with the earlier comment that this show needs force users and Jedi to feel like Star Wars. In fact, I would say that it's a strength of the show that it fleshes out the Star Wars universe by focusing on the "on the ground" nature of the burgeoning rebellion and the Empire's tactical approach to quelling it, though I do admit that perhaps a small nod to the force without necessarily showing any force users might have made it feel a bit more connected. The guerilla espionage of the rebellion juxtaposed with the highly-organized fascist ISB is a huge strength of the show and I will happily watch several more seasons of it.

All that said, the season wasn't perfect. I have loved the pacing and the approach of slow burns leading to tense payoffs, but I think both the Mon Mothma and Syril plot threads could have been better. While the chess move of Mon Mothma accusing her husband of gambling again knowing it would be reported back to the Empire was a fantastic scene, ultimately the time spent this season on building up the threat of her financial issues didn't feel like it was fully paid off in the finale. Syril finding out about the funeral of Andor's mother and then ending up being the person that saves Dedra from the mob was a little too close to a deus ex machina for my taste. It also didn't really pay off the time spent following Syril throughout the season and mostly felt like a repeat of the story beat from earlier in the season when he approached Dedra outside the ISB building. The only thing that it advanced in his arc is that now Dedra will likely feel like she owes him or will be more sympathetic to his fervor to get more involved for the Empire.

Those are minor quibbles though. On the whole, this show is unbelievably good and gives so much more texture to the Star Wars universe.

The following 3 users liked this post by kefrank:
Abob Teff (11-27-22), B.A. (11-27-22), xe.kilroy (11-27-22)
Old 11-27-22, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 896 Likes on 570 Posts

Finally got around to watching this and it just got worse and worse as the series went on and ended on a “meh” finale. The big climax here was a few townspeople trying to punch guys in armor who also had laser guns. I was expecting a big trap for the Empire and we got one “rebel” with a bomb. I mean - that was the plan? Ooookay.

Andor was just running around the perimeter of the fight in his own finale. Literally an observer only. It ended and I was like “…that’s it?”

This is the first SW property I’ve actively disliked since Revenge of the Sith. Somehow they made Star Wars boring with endless conversations in only like 5 different locations for the whole series. I swear if I had to sit through one more Empire Conference Room scene or watch the same few characters walk around a set that looked like Galaxy’s Edge one more time…

I love Rogue One but I thought this was a turd. Now if Season 2 is faster paced, it might actually be worth it.
Old 11-28-22, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
and I think the post credits scene is the first one for the franchise???
It's actually the third season finale with a post-credits scene...

Mandalorian season two finale
Spoiler:
Boba Fett kills Bib Fortuna and takes Jabba's throne

Book of Boba Fett season one finale
Spoiler:
Presumed-dead Cobb Vanth is recuperating in Fett's bacta tank

Last edited by GuessWho; 11-28-22 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-28-22, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts

o yea, forgot about those two post credit scenes. I was way off
GuessWho (11-28-22)
Old 11-28-22, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Finally got around to watching this and it just got worse and worse as the series went on and ended on a “meh” finale. The big climax here was a few townspeople trying to punch guys in armor who also had laser guns. I was expecting a big trap for the Empire and we got one “rebel” with a bomb. I mean - that was the plan? Ooookay.

Andor was just running around the perimeter of the fight in his own finale. Literally an observer only. It ended and I was like “…that’s it?”

This is the first SW property I’ve actively disliked since Revenge of the Sith. Somehow they made Star Wars boring with endless conversations in only like 5 different locations for the whole series. I swear if I had to sit through one more Empire Conference Room scene or watch the same few characters walk around a set that looked like Galaxy’s Edge one more time…

I love Rogue One but I thought this was a turd. Now if Season 2 is faster paced, it might actually be worth it.
Are you just hate-watching it then? You've strongly disliked this show since much earlier in the season. I'm genuinely curious: why did you waste your own time slogging through 12 episodes when you knew the show wasn't for you after a handful of episodes? I don't get it. There's so much content to watch these days, I usually cut ties as soon as it's clear I'm not connecting with something even when critics and audiences resoundingly are.
Old 11-28-22, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 246 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I get your point, something in the vein of protesters in our world, who have masterplans to fight against governments with superior fire power. The people weren't rebels, they were protesters, Andor isn't one or the other. So he's isn't part of the protests. His experiences in the first season make him into a rebel, not his convictions.

I think season 1 was really strong, because it would have worked outside of Star Wars. Like I said, Andor doesn't start out as a rebel, an enemy of the empire. He is a small time crook, who dislikes the government, like most criminals do. He evolves into a one time mercenary, since he's out of options. He went to prison not due to his crimes, but to a misunderstanding and doesn't return home to start a revolution, but to get his mother. Not even then, I would see Cassian as a true rebel. Once again he doesn't have a lot of options. He's still wanted for murder, he knows he will be tortured, if arrested and the alternative is being on the run from the rebels, who want him dead too.
Hiding or joining up are his two options. So it's fitting Cassian isn't in the middle of his own finale, because he's not the hero, not even anti hero like Han Solo. Andor is just a random citizen of the empire who experiences the growing reach and shrinking freedom.
Abob Teff (11-28-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.