TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jason David Frank (Tommy from Power Rangers) - Dead at 49

Old 11-20-22, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 847 Likes on 694 Posts
Jason David Frank (Tommy from Power Rangers) - Dead at 49

'Power Rangers' Star Jason David Frank Dead By Suicide at 49

11/20/22
Jason David Frank -- one of the original "Power Rangers" -- has died ... TMZ has learned.
Jason died in Texas, according to his rep Justine Hunt.

Sources with direct knowledge tell us his death was the result of suicide.

JDF is best known as Tommy Oliver from the original run of the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" franchise, dating back to the kids series' debut in 1993 ... when he was introduced as one of six crime/monster-fighting superheroes, masked head to toe with kung-fu skills.

Fans will remember ... he started out as the Green Ranger in Season 1, introduced at first as an enemy of the Power Rangers -- only to do a 180 and become good. After his powers start to deteriorate, however, he's turned into the White Ranger ... and tapped as the new leader of the group. Frank starred as one of the leads for 3 seasons, totaling 123 episodes.
Frank went on to reprise his role as Tommy in several adaptions of 'Power Rangers' -- including 'Wild Force,' 'Turbo,' 'Zeo,' 'Dino Thunder,' 'Megaforce,' 'Ninja Steel,' 'HyperForce,' and more. He's been a Red Ranger, a Black Ranger and a Green Ranger anew. JDF is a fan favorite Power Ranger ... which is why he's returned to the franchise time and again.
His onscreen fighting abilities translated into the real world ... Frank was a professionally trained MMA brawler, who was well-versed in everything from Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and others. He fought professionally for a time from 2008 to 2010.
He's survived by his four children.
Jason's rep Justinetells TMZ ... "Please respect the privacy of his family and friends during this horrible time as we come to terms with the loss of such a wonderful human being. He loved his family, friends and fans very much. He will truly be missed."

If you or someone you know is thinking of suicide, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988.

https://amp.tmz.com/2022/11/20/power...r-green-white/

I actually almost went to a signing he did at a comic book shop thatís a few hours away from me back in September. I had to work the day after though so I couldnít really make it without it being a rushed trip.

He was probably my favorite Ranger. Iíve always thought the Green Ranger was the coolest in terms of the character arc and look of the costume and stuff. The White Ranger was cool too but I preferred the Green. Never really watched much beyond MMPR.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-20-22 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-20-22, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 387 Likes on 308 Posts
Re: Jason David Frank (Tommy from Power Rangers) - Dead at 49

Absolutely awful news. I was a big fan of the Power Rangers back in the day. RIP Jason David Frank.
Old 11-20-22, 12:25 PM

Received 3,213 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Suicide? Damn... He seemed to be in a good place and always enjoyed fan cons. RIP.

eta: I just saw he was going through a divorce...
Old 11-20-22, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

I wasn't a fan of the Power Ranger, but I've seen him at a ton of conventions that I've been to. He always seemed very engaging with his fans at the cons. RIP.
Old 11-20-22, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Suicide? Damn... He seemed to be in a good place and always enjoyed fan cons.
Iíve heard he was going through a rough time with a divorce. He did always seem to be good about fan interaction at cons/signing events.
Old 11-20-22, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 568 Likes on 351 Posts

Everyone's fighting a private battle. Sadly not all of us survive. Such a shame
The following 3 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
kahuna (11-20-22), Mike86 (11-20-22), whotony (11-25-22)
Old 11-20-22, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

He was my favorite Power Ranger. Of all of them, he seemed the most well adjusted and always seemed genuinely happy. It sucks to know that he was going through internal struggles so bad that he'd take his own life.

Jason David Frank
Old 11-20-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only really watched Mighty Morphiní Power Rangers but he was one of the actors from the franchise who really seemed to embrace it a lot.

Between appearances on various iterations of the show through the years and through his convention appearances and stuff. He really kind of seemed like the guy who represented Power Rangers almost more than anyone.
Old 11-20-22, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah, he was definitely the face of Power Rangers for decades. Even doing trailers for comics related to the franchise.

His final project seems to be a gritty reimagining of the franchise.

The White Dragon, Erik Reed, has returned home to Virtuo City 3 years later after being defeated in a colossal battle against the ancient overlord, Ashtagor. The crystal he used to become the White Dragon was broken in two as a result of the epic battle, both pieces were subsequently lost. Being blamed for the destruction and collateral lives lost, his identity was outed after the battle thus making him a fugitive from the law. We now follow Erik on his journey as he teams up with treasure hunters from the past who help him reclaim his power as the White Dragon. Once reunited with his powers, he and his team are now ready to battle a new threat, Dragon Prime, who seeks revenge against the White Dragon. Erik must now try and defeat Dragon Prime in order to get one step closer to clearing his name and being able to protect his family from an ancient evil that still lurks in the darknessÖ Ashtagor.
Not quite the plot of Power Rangers but definitely in that wheelhouse. Apparently this was a passion project of his.

​​​​​​​Here's the poster.
Spoiler:

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-20-22 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-20-22, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Devastating news. He had the longest run of any of them, from the first season of MMPR right up to PR Ninja Steel in 2018 and some ancillary spin-offs more recently. He even came back as a full-time Power Ranger in PR Dino Thunder (2004) after the franchise moved to New Zealand. He played Dr. Tommy Oliver, a high school science teacher and also the Black Ranger, with three of his students as the other Rangers. I need to see that series again. I love his appearance with lots of other past Rangers in Power Rangers Super Megaforce: The Legendary Battle, a special from 2015.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-20-22 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-20-22, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I was a kid when power rangers came out and Tommy was my hero, I wanted to grow up to be the white ranger, and when he was the green I didn't even care he was the bad guy at first. I collected all the toys of his character and I met him at a con a few times and he seemed like such a good guy and was always so cool to his fans. I saw a fan who didn't have the money for a autograph but he just wanted to shake his hand and he took the time to talk to him and give him a picture and just made sure everyone got the time and kindness that alot of stars these days don't give. This is really a guy punch to my childhood. R.I.P
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (11-21-22)
Old 11-21-22, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 998 Likes on 673 Posts

I follow lots of Cosplayers on Social Media and tons of them posted pics they took with him at Conventions over the years. He seemed like a cool dude. The White Ranger was always cool when I watched MMPW...him and the Green Ranger were always stand outs.
Old 11-21-22, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts

The White Ranger reveal was legendary back in the day.
Old 11-21-22, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always preferred the Green Ranger personally. Just felt the costume, shield, dagger, and Dragon Zord were a little cooler.

I liked the White Ranger though too donít get me wrong. As a kid I had both a Dragon Dagger and a Saba Sword.

Also not going to lie I remember when the reveal of the White Rangerís identity happened and marking out when it was Tommy. Obvious now but as a kid I didnít know.
Old 11-21-22, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts

Always dogged the Green/White ranger as a kid. Never watched past maybe the first movie?
Old 11-21-22, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Mighty Morphiní Power Rangers as a kid. I was the right age when it came out and I thought it was cool.

Then I got to the point where I outgrew it, but later on I got back into it with Power Rangers in Space, which I actually think was pretty solid. I watched a bit of Power Rangers Lost Galaxy but I didnít get into it as much.

Later I watched Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie randomly. Never really watched Power Rangers Turbo the show so not really sure why I watched it and donít remember much about it.

I kind of wouldnít mind watching Power Rangers Zeo at some point (Iíve seen a handful of episodes).
Old 11-22-22, 07:31 AM

The entire 'Power Rangers' fandom is reeling over the death of star Jason David Frank, and we've learned about the sequence of events in the hours leading up to his suicide.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ Jason and his wife, Tammie, checked into a Texas hotel Friday. We're told the two -- who are in the middle of a divorce -- got separate rooms, but at some point the estranged couple got into an argument in Tammie's room. We're told staffers were called to calm things down, and peace was restored.

Our law enforcement sources say at some point either late Friday night or early Saturday morning, the two got into another argument and Jason locked Tammie out of his room.

Our sources say Tammie was apparently concerned for his safety and called the cops around 5 AM Saturday morning. When officers couldn't make contact with Jason, we're told hotel management let them in and they discovered the actor hanged himself in the bathroom.

TMZ broke the story of the 49-year-old's death ... we're told Jason died by suicide.

Jason is survived by his 4 kids. His rep told us, "He loved his family, friends and fans very much. He will truly be missed."
https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/22/power...wife-argument/
Old 11-22-22, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I watched Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers as a kid. I was the right age when it came out and I thought it was cool.

Then I got to the point where I outgrew it, but later on I got back into it with Power Rangers in Space, which I actually think was pretty solid. I watched a bit of Power Rangers Lost Galaxy but I didn’t get into it as much.

Later I watched Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie randomly. Never really watched Power Rangers Turbo the show so not really sure why I watched it and don’t remember much about it.

I kind of wouldn’t mind watching Power Rangers Zeo at some point (I’ve seen a handful of episodes).
Same. I was obsessed and was crazy about those action figures. Watched through at least the Turbo film and series era... and probably some in Space.
Old 11-22-22, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn.. I mean no matter how it happened it would have been sad, but reading that sucks. This celebrity death is oddly hitting me more than I expected. I think because he was one of my childhood heroes. RIP.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-22-22 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-22-22, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts

You would think these TMZ media assholes would give it some time before posting these details .

What a bunch of dumbasses.

Old 11-22-22, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
You would think these TMZ media assholes would give it some time before posting these details .

What a bunch of dumbasses.
Their job is to report the news, good or bad. I would assume that it important in the news industry that it is best to be the first to report the news as you will gain more followers and thereby getting more money from advertisers. They are a business like any other.
Old 11-22-22, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Their job is to report the news, good or bad. I would assume that it important in the news industry that it is best to be the first to report the news as you will gain more followers and thereby getting more money from advertisers. They are a business like any other.
Clearly....

You have a few million fans out there going through a range of emotions, let's make it more interesting by going public with the details just before he died.

What a fantastic idea. Surely, that won't make matters worse.
Old 11-22-22, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
Clearly....

You have a few million fans out there going through a range of emotions, let's make it more interesting by going public with the details just before he died.

What a fantastic idea. Surely, that won't make matters worse.
If you are going through a range of emotions on his death, why would you click on the new link that offered more to the story?
Old 11-22-22, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
If you are going through a range of emotions on his death, why would you click on the new link that offered more to the story?
I'm not referring to me.

...and people are curious by nature. They are simply wired to click or watch news.

Old 11-22-22, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This one hits hard too so I needed a place to vent. I was in that prime age range to get caught up in Power Rangers mania. But when the Green Ranger debuted it blew my mind. He was the best fighter, had the coolest look and had a Zord equal to the Megazord. Then he became my favorite ranger and that never changed. I stopped watching the show before the third season but when I found out JDF was back for Dino Thunder I watched the whole season and would still catch the episodes in the other shows when he would occasionally come back.

I think the hardest part about this is that while he had his controversies and issues to the fandom,like Mark Hammil to Star Wars or William Shatner to Star Trek he was the face of the fandom and legitimately seemed to love that. His convention lines were always huge and it shows he definitely had an impact in pop culture.

Really I donít know what to say. Iím truly at a loss for words.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.