Reload this Page >

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (Disney+) -- premieres 11/25/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (Disney+) -- premieres 11/25/22

Old 12-10-22, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (Disney+) -- premieres 11/25/22

Just watched this and it was a lot of fun. Loved getting to see more of Mantis--she's a riot--and Bacon was great. I wish there had been more Nebula, though. I also really liked the song choices and just added the playlist to my Spotify favorites.
Old 12-12-22, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
I'm still holding out slim hope for the Micronauts to be a part of the MCU (Rom too!), no matter how unlikely it is. Goddamn "Quantum Realm" should have been the Microverse.
They still have the rights to the Microverse (or some facsimile of it) and some of the characters they created so they could still do it. I mean Bug was even a member of the comic version of Guardians of the Galaxy.

And yeah, I saw that dude in the Cy-kill costume and thought "that's odd, that's pretty obscure and I've never seen someone in that costume on Hollywood Blvd before" and then when they referenced it by name I was surprised. Though Hasbro seems pretty cool with allowing cameos, there was a Transformers cameo in that Rescue Rangers movie too.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-16-22 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-12-22, 01:13 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I wish there had been more Nebula, though.

The following users liked this post:
Cellar Door (12-13-22)
Old 12-13-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a little surprised they didn't do a six degrees of Kevin Bacon reference to prove how influential he was (or how despicable an actor) but that's probably for the best since that's probably after Pete's time on Earth. This does tie in Bacon to the greater MCU and makes it much easier for six degrees to live on, though.
story (12-16-22)
Old 12-16-22, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 971 Likes on 805 Posts

I thought this was fun with a number of good lines. Not sure I’ll watch it again, though.
Old 12-16-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, the family watches worse specials every year just because it's Christmas (like how many Elf on a Shelf specials can they make???), so I'm sure it'll be added to our household traditions.
Old 12-16-22, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,039 Likes on 1,404 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
They still have the rights to the Multiverse (or some facsimile of it) and some of the characters they created so they could still do it. I mean Bug was even a member of the comic version of Guardians of the Galaxy.
It's very grey. James Gunn wanted to have Bug in one of the Guardians films, but Disney's lawyers weren't 100% sure if they owned the character (probably 99.9% sure, but if it ain't 100% they aren't gonna risk it. They'd risk getting sued over an issue of a comic, but not a multi-million dollar film). If I recall, the original comics featured a mix of characters owned by Mego (and now Hasbro): Baron Karza, Biotron, Microtron, Time Traveller, etc. who would now be completely off limits, and original characters like Bug and Marionette, who Disney/Marvel are reluctant to use in the MCU, just in case. I'm trying to remember who came up with the term "Microverse", Mego for the toyline or Marvel for the comic book, I'm thinking the latter?
Old 12-16-22, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,810 Posts

There is this sort odd space within the Marvel (Comics) Universe in the late 1970s and 1980s where they were buying the licenses to preexisting properties like Godzilla, Micronauts, and Transformers, and then integrating the comics they produced into the Marvel Universe.

When they came up with new characters for these comics, then those characters were the property of whatever company they licensed the property from. They tried to skirt this by introducing the characters in fully Marvel-owned books first (such as dropping Circuit Breaker into an issue of Secret Wars II before she appeared in a Transformers comic book), but I think Bug's first appearance was in Micronauts #1, so he's probably problematic. Even if they think they're in the clear, it's probably not worth the risk of a lawsuit from a copyright owner or copyright troll.
cultshock (12-16-22)
Old 12-16-22, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There is this sort odd space within the Marvel (Comics) Universe in the late 1970s and 1980s where they were buying the licenses to preexisting properties like Godzilla, Micronauts, and Transformers, and then integrating the comics they produced into the Marvel Universe.

When they came up with new characters for these comics, then those characters were the property of whatever company they licensed the property from. They tried to skirt this by introducing the characters in fully Marvel-owned books first (such as dropping Circuit Breaker into an issue of Secret Wars II before she appeared in a Transformers comic book), but I think Bug's first appearance was in Micronauts #1, so he's probably problematic. Even if they think they're in the clear, it's probably not worth the risk of a lawsuit from a copyright owner or copyright troll.
So you're telling me an MCU Shogun Warriors movie isn't coming soon?

If they can't get the rights at least give me a Rom background scene. I mean c'mon, you connected Gobots, for crying out loud.
Old 12-16-22, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,039 Likes on 1,404 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
So you're telling me an MCU Shogun Warriors movie isn't coming soon?
That would blow my fucking mind! Who do I need to kill to make this film happen?

(too bad Marvel couldn't get the rights to the Go Nagai robots for the comic book, e.g. Great Mazinger, Dragun, etc., but that would have been a licensing quagmire of its own)