Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Quentin Tarantino plans to direct a limited series in 2023

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-17-22, 09:45 AM

Received 3,213 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Considering the purely entertaining reads that are Quentin Tarantino’s first pair of books—his expansion of Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood and the recently released Cinema Speculation—it’s certainly fine by us for the director to take his time on announcing any plans for his 10th and final film. However, novel-writing isn’t the only thing keeping the filmmaker busy.

While at the last stop on his book tour for Cinema Speculation, at New York City’s Times Square venue The Town Hall, Tarantino revealed he has written an eight-part limited series he plans to shoot next year. While he was tight-lipped about sharing any more details (even cheekily shouting a “f*ck y’all” to a lively audience cheering for more information), he defiantly confirmed this new project would not count as his final film.

Along with mentioning that he wrote a play prior to the making of his 2019 film that he hopes to get off the ground, the wide-ranging conversation with moderator Elvis Mitchell touched on Brian De Palma, Taxi Driver, Jackie Brown, and Pauline Kael. Tarantino regaled the audience with the story of the only time he spoke with Kael—after growing up vehemently disagreeing but respecting her reviews, until they clicked on Carrie, “one of the best reviews ever written”—when Mitchell connected the two over the phone just months prior to her death in 2001.

When poised with the question of what the future of cinema entails, Tarantino predicted a major turning point will only become clearer in the next three or four years. While he held hope for the future of boutique cinemas, he questioned if making a film for Netflix really constitutes being a movie (resulting in a laugh from Mitchell, who just debuted his first film on the platform) and bemoaned the 30-day theatrical window before a film simply gets dumped on “television.”

As seemingly customary these days, he was also asked about his thoughts on Marvel. His love for the comics is well-documented, even contemplating directing a Luke Cage movie starring Laurence Fishburne decades ago. Nowadays, while he would never dream of joining the Marvel machine, the only interesting property for him would be Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos, though he agreed with Mitchell that he already made his version with Inglourious Basterds. With much pride, he also exclaimed how far ahead of the curve he was in terms of an interconnected universe, noting The Vega Brothers and more.

As for other potential revenue sources during his future retirement, there’s one not to count on. He vehemently rejected the idea of ever doing a script polish for another project. Recounting the story of being heavily pushed to do a pass on Samuel L. Jackson’s Shaft remake, he proudly claimed his writing is his “well water” and he wouldn’t be giving that away.

As we await details on his forthcoming series, we at least expect it to contain more of his voice than prior television work on the likes of E.R. and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. In the meantime, Cinema Speculation is now out and well worth a read, but a fair warning: you’ll also want to carve out time to revisit every film mentioned in the book.
https://thefilmstage.com/quentin-tar...ies-next-year/
Old 11-17-22, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,601 Likes on 1,148 Posts
Re: Quentin Tarantino plans to direct a limited series in 2023

When poised with the question of what the future of cinema entails, Tarantino predicted a major turning point will only become clearer in the next three or four years. While he held hope for the future of boutique cinemas, he questioned if making a film for Netflix really constitutes being a movie (resulting in a laugh from Mitchell, who just debuted his first film on the platform) and bemoaned the 30-day theatrical window before a film simply gets dumped on “television.”
This is a complicated question, and I don't think people like Tarantino and Scorsese will like the answer, but I think the future of theatrical cinema is spectacle. With ticket prices what they are, and everyone pushing IMAX and whatnot, I think audiences want an EVENT, not just going to a movie. So, for the foreseable future, it's going to superheroes, big budget science fiction pictures like Dune and Jurassic, and big dumb action movies like F&F. The smaller stuff, the more intimate dramas, will move to home viewing.

Which isn't a bad thing, it's just a change. And I think it's a change for the better because it means we're getting more and better content. TV series like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad have a quality to them could sweep the Oscars. There's really no shame in television any more, and it's not a lesser medium to film. There's a lot of effort and quality being put into telling long form stories on television.

Another factor in this migration is that nearly every home in America now has an inexpensive large-screen HDTV that can come close to, or even surpass, the theatrical experience. No more of those boxy, fuzzy little CRTs.

And we have a lot of beloved, classic movies, but there have also been a lot of crap, forgotten movies churned out over the decades. I've been watching old episodes of Sneak Previews and At The Movies with Siskel and Ebert on Youtube, and there are tons of movies from the 70s and 80s, often with a-list stars, that have slipped down the memory hole.

That said, pretty much everything Tarantino makes qualifies as spectacle, whether its the content or just because his name is on it. He's one of the few names that can still make theatrical movies on his own terms, and it's really a shame that he's putting an arbitrary limit of ten films in his oeuvre.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (11-20-22)
Old 11-20-22, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

Meh. I have liked each of his movies less and less and sort of hated his last couple. He is such a drama queen. Didn't Soderbergh retire at one point too?
Old 11-20-22, 10:06 AM

Received 3,213 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
Didn't Soderbergh retire at one point too?
He stopped making films for a while, yes. The types of films he generally had been making do not perform at the BO in this day and age. He was sick of the business of filmmaking. He went off and worked in TV for while. The state of distribution changed in the streaming age and it brought him back. He tried self-distribution and put out films with Netflix. Now he has an overall deal with HBO Max and has put out a film a year with them (Magic Mike's Last Dance was supposed to be straight to Max until the new WB regime changed that).

QT will retire from making films, not working in other mediums... so he claims. Soderbergh wasn't going on and on making announcements. I think it was Matt Damon who said he had retired.
Old 11-20-22, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I don’t like Tarantino’s “retiring after 10 films” nonsense but I guess I’m glad he’ll still be producing content. I’ve enjoyed the two books I’ve read from him and will easterly anticipate any series he creates. Ultimately though, I’d prefer he just kept making movies.

I think he hit a lull during his Kill Bill days where he was relying a bit too much on homage. I think he’s bounced back quiet well over the last few years and I would rank Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood right up there with Pulp Fiction.
Old 11-21-22, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Tarintino has been downhill since Sally Menke died. I have no doubt he is the type of artistically person who thinks everything they put on film is gold and needs someone to step in and tell him otherwise. He lost that with her passing. Starting with Django his movies have become way too bloated. I imagine a mini series will still feel 3-4 episodes too long.

I also agree that the theater experience is now being reserved for spectacles and experiences. Negating the pandemic, theaters were already slowly dying as the television experience became better and cheaper. We are also in a weird flux where the studios haven’t found the right balance and consumers, like myself, pay upwards of $70 for a family movie only to find out it was streaming already (albeit on a service I didn’t have but buying that service for a month would have been a hell of a lot cheaper).
Old 11-22-22, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I don’t like Tarantino’s “retiring after 10 films” nonsense but I guess I’m glad he’ll still be producing content. I’ve enjoyed the two books I’ve read from him and will easterly anticipate any series he creates. Ultimately though, I’d prefer he just kept making movies.

I think he hit a lull during his Kill Bill days where he was relying a bit too much on homage. I think he’s bounced back quiet well over the last few years and I would rank Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood right up there with Pulp Fiction.
Interesting. I thought it was just a horrible movie. I was alive and remember the Manson killings and the retro recreation did nothing for me. I didn't like it period, not just as my least favorite QT and I LOVED most of his early films.