Andor (S1E08) - "Narkina 5" - 10/26/22

Old 10-25-22, 02:18 AM

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,329 Posts
Andor (S1E08) - "Narkina 5" - 10/26/22

Old 10-25-22, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts
re: Andor (S1E08) - "Narkina 5" - 10/26/22

This week's episode kicks off a two-episode story arc.

Per an interview clip I just heard this weekend with Tony Gilroy, the episodes and seasons will follow this structure for timeline/story arcs:

Season One - 5 BBY
Eps 1-3 are an arc (killing the cops & fallout from that)
Eps 4-6 are an arc (the heist)
Ep 7 is an "interstitial" episode
Eps 8-9 are an arc
Eps 10-12 are an arc

Season Two - Various Years
Eps 1-3: a story in 4 BBY
Eps 4-6: a story in 3 BBY
Eps 7-9: a story in 2 BBY
Eps 10-12: a story in 1-0 BBY, leading up to Andor taking off for where we first see him in Rogue One
The following 4 users liked this post by GuessWho:
B.A. (11-02-22), candyrocket786 (10-25-22), story (10-27-22), Thos19 (10-27-22)
Old 10-26-22, 06:37 AM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
re: Andor (S1E08) - "Narkina 5" - 10/26/22

Seeing as the Empire are looking for Cassian, and he's in a prison facility under the name Keef, reckon they'll eventually track him down, and the Empire itself will pull him out of there, to interrogate him about who Axis is, with the promise of freedom or the safety of Bix and his mom and his mining friend, if he divulges info. Cassian doesn't know yet (?) that Luthen (Axis) wants him dead before he can talk. So, it would seem not feasible he would talk, as then Luthen and the push of the Rebellion would get found out too soon. So there must be something else happen. Some kind of change of heart, a rescue.

Last edited by xe.kilroy; 10-26-22 at 06:38 AM. Reason: testing
Old 10-26-22, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Andor (S1E08) - "Narkina 5" - 10/26/22

I know some have mentioned they like the different kind of music featured in this series, but it reminds me of bad sci-fi flicks from the 70's and 80's when I hear it. It takes me out of the story. I'm glad George Lucas went with classic full orchestra music for the films. I wish this show had done the same. Anyway, do you think Syril will join the rebellion down the road now that the Empire has turned down his offer to help them track down Andor? I bet Dedra's instructions to him to stop raising the alarm don't sit well with him.
Old 10-26-22, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

I've been saying/thinking that Syril will flip after slowly realizing what the Empire really is. From the dismissal of the original even that set him on this path to being "kicked down the road" at every turn. I wonder if he ends up finding/meeting Andor on his own.

Another fantastic episode. You are starting to feel the Empires oppressiveness. I kept waiting to see the torture droid from ANH since you could hear it in the background when they were bringing Bix in for interrogation.
Old 10-26-22, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 249 Likes on 193 Posts

If episodes 1-3 had a fugitive theme…

and episodes 4-6 had a heist theme…

then I expect episodes 7-9 to end as a prison break.

I love prison breaks, so hopefully.
Old 10-27-22, 07:12 AM

Received 1,290 Likes on 766 Posts

I really liked this one.

Honestly, I'm surprised this is only going to be two seasons. It seems like people are really enjoying this and I'd think they'd have at least three seasons' worth of stories. Star Wars people have been wanting "plans" lately, but this plan seems short.
Old 10-27-22, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by story View Post
I really liked this one.

Honestly, I'm surprised this is only going to be two seasons. It seems like people are really enjoying this and I'd think they'd have at least three seasons' worth of stories. Star Wars people have been wanting "plans" lately, but this plan seems short.
The original plan was for more seasons, but part of the issue was locking everyone in for several years. Diego himself said he was hesitant about being "locked up" for 6-7 years. That's why the second season will cover the 4 years originally planned as seasons. The budget for this has to be sky high given the quality, I wonder if that also became a factor.
Old 10-27-22, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,095 Likes on 823 Posts

This show just gets better and better. If George made the OT as a vague commentary on Vietnam, this show is a brutalist essay on all our modern ills like the prison-industrial complex or the merging of corporations and government.

I have trouble believing we are getting this quality caliber of a live action Star Wars show, I mean, I've enjoyed Mandalorian and even Obi Wan a lot, but this one truly feels like they're making a good TV show first, then decided to make it fit in the Star Wars universe.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (10-28-22)
Old 10-27-22, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Andy Serkis!
Old 10-28-22, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
This show just gets better and better. If George made the OT as a vague commentary on Vietnam, this show is a brutalist essay on all our modern ills like the prison-industrial complex or the merging of corporations and government.

I have trouble believing we are getting this quality caliber of a live action Star Wars show, I mean, I've enjoyed Mandalorian and even Obi Wan a lot, but this one truly feels like they're making a good TV show first, then decided to make it fit in the Star Wars universe.
At times this show reminds me a bit of George's first film, THX-1138, which I really enjoyed once I finally watched it.
Old 10-28-22, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 965 Likes on 609 Posts

This show continues to look incredible and bore me to tears. So Andor was randomly picked up by the Empire and put in prison for no reason? And we have to spend an entire episode watching him make random crap with a group of random characters?

I love that when they were doing the flashbacks without subtitles everyone was saying they weren’t needed but now they bring the show to a halt to make sure you know every single member of his prison group by name. All while the Empire (who already has him IN PRISON by pure coincidence) is running around looking for him?

My eyes glaze over just thinking about it.
Old 10-29-22, 12:36 AM

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

I was watching the episode 8 recap on Nerdist and Dan mentioned something we more than likely missed: they brought back Duncan Pow's Rogue One character Ruescott Melshi as a member of Andor’s work team.

xe.kilroy (10-31-22)
Old 10-29-22, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
This show continues to look incredible and bore me to tears.
This was the 8th episode. If you don't like it by now, maybe stop watching?
The following 2 users liked this post by kefrank:
JayDerek (10-30-22), JeremyM (10-29-22)
Old 10-29-22, 01:56 AM

Received 1,290 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
I was watching the episode 8 recap on Nerdist and Dan mentioned something we more than likely missed: they brought back Duncan Pow's Rogue One character Ruescott Melshi as a member of Andor’s work team.
I thought I posted about that here and I completely forgot to actually do it! Yeah, I thought it was a nice touch and gives us some good trajectory going forward. Having rewatched Rogue One lately, it's clear that Andor and Melshi have history as friends and colleagues.
Old 10-29-22, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

This show continues to look incredible and bore me to tears. So Andor was randomly picked up by the Empire and put in prison for no reason? And we have to spend an entire episode watching him make random crap with a group of random characters?

I love that when they were doing the flashbacks without subtitles everyone was saying they weren’t needed but now they bring the show to a halt to make sure you know every single member of his prison group by name. All while the Empire (who already has him IN PRISON by pure coincidence) is running around looking for him?

Andor doesn't have a beef with the Empire. That's why he's not interested in joining the rebellion. He did the robbery for the money. He was just minding his business and got swept up in a random Imperial roundup. It's all part of character development that drives him to choose a side and join the rebellion.
What I'm getting from the show is "Who is this Andor guy and how did he end up on a mission to steal the Death Star plans and become a hero?" It's simaliar to BEN-HUR. Who was this guy who came forward and gave Jesus a drink of water when he was carrying the cross? A story was developed around who this guy was and events that led him to be at that particular place at that that particular time. Ben-Hur didn't have a beef with the Romans. Resisted those who wanted to rebel. Wouldn't snitch on those who spoke of rebellion to Messala. Then the Romans fucked with him and threw him in the galley when he did nothing. Then he chose a side.

Even though he's already in prison, the Imperial gestapo have made a connection between him and the robbery/rebellion. They need to interrogate him.

Last edited by rw2516; 10-29-22 at 10:36 AM.
xe.kilroy (10-31-22)
Old 10-29-22, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

They have him in prison but under an alias and he was swept up by a totalitarian government where he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And it's clear that the bureaucracy of this government is a mess and one section seldom knows what the other is doing (which seems logical to me; it is a big galaxy even if Star Wars as a whole doesn't always do a great job of portraying that). The show has shown the weaknesses of the Empire in numerous ways as it attempts to manage this massive galaxy; it's a big part of the show in fact.

I don't understand what not using subtitles in one scene has to do with learning character names for characters that are clearly going to be used going forward. And the introductions took maybe a minute? We also learned the prisoner names in prison films like Escape from Alcatraz and The Great Escape and saw glimpses of their daily lives as the story of their eventual escape unfolded. This did not seem unusual to me.

If the show is not for you, cool. But your takeaways from the episode certainly differ from mine!
The following 2 users liked this post by JeremyM:
Cusm (11-01-22), xe.kilroy (10-31-22)
Old 10-29-22, 08:31 PM

Yeah, I don't get the problem with no subtitles when those scenes communicated exactly what they needed too. And of course, the entire point of the hunt for Andor while he is already in custody proves Andor's "They are so fat and satisfied" point that the Empire thinks way too much of itself. I really don't get watching a show that is obviously not for you (not really picking on you-Draven- specifically) but there's always these types of posts in pretty much every series thread.

I forgot to point out in my earlier post that it was cool seeing Andor process everything around him when he arrived at the prison facility. His eyes constantly scanning and taking in every detail. I know everyone is probably wondering what they are making and the best suggestion I have heard is the lower appendage assembly of a Probe Droid.
The following 2 users liked this post by SmackDaddy:
B.A. (11-02-22), JeremyM (10-30-22)