Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Rings of Power (S1E08) -- Season Finale -- "Alloyed" -- 10/14/22

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-22, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E08) -- Season Finale -- "Alloyed" -- 10/14/22

This show is flawed and slow. Having the House of the Dragon on at the same time made all that even more obvious. But hey, I'm still enjoying in. Look forward to next season where some things may or may not be fixed.
Old 10-21-22, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I know for the most part, we’re all just casual TV viewers who watch stuff when we have time. But I do think this forum doesn’t have the eyes, time and knowledge to follow two high concept fantasy shows at the same time. Yes, I know compared to House of the Dragon this show is much slower. Probably 15 years ago or so, a Lord of the Rings TV series would get hundreds of posts. I can attest to this personally that I don’t always contribute to these fantasy show threads as it’s much more difficult, time consuming to analyze what we just watched and not sound dumb. Some of these Rings of Power threads are barely getting 20 posts. Even HOTD is a more popular fantasy show here, but that’s not getting the same kind of contributions in the past like GOT.
Old 10-21-22, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

I actually uncharacteristically watched both this and HotD in relatively real time (ok, for this one I started a couple of eps late but caught up), and I kind of agree that I wish they weren't going head to head, I see no reason for that. Luckily, both pretty much got early renewals so no worries there. At least the two shows are very, very different. But now we wait what, 2 years?
Old 11-10-22, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

This series looked good, but overall slow with rather bad acting.
Old 11-13-22, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

It may not be perfect, but it beats the shit out of The Wheel of Time.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (11-13-22)
Old 11-13-22, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
It may not be perfect, but it beats the shit out of The Wheel of Time.
Damning with faint praise, indeed.
story (11-13-22)
Old 11-14-22, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I liked this, this episode and the whole series. It didn't hit as hard as PJ's LOTR trilogy, but it's still a fun journey with great set design and I generally enjoyed the people.

This is not the disaster the haters were screaming about, though it's not a masterpiece either. It's just fun, good looking fantasy.
Old 11-14-22, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

I think it plays better if you have less background in the characters in the movies and books (similar to Apple's Foundation in that respect). Like if you don't really think of Sauron and Galadriel the way they are even in the movies then it's easier to take the plot twists, to believe that Halbrand was genuinely conflicted and that Galadriel would inadvertently make a huge mistake like that, that Celeborn would jump at the suggestions of a random human, or that this Blue Wizard or Gandalf could somehow tie into this conflict somehow.
Old 12-01-22, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

‘Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power’ Recasts Adar and Adds 6 Others for Season 2

Some new faces are set to hit Middle-Earth. “Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power” has added seven new cast members for its second season, which is currently in production in the United Kingdom.

Gabriel Akuwudike, Yasen Atour, Amelia Kenworthy, Nia Towle, Ben Daniels, Nicholas Woodeson, and Sam Hazeldine have been cast in the series, which serves as a prequel to J.R.R. Tolkien’s epic fantasy series. Hazeldine replaces Joseph Mawle, who played the Ork leader Adar in the first season of the series; a reason for the casting change was not given. The other new cast members’ roles are currently being kept under wraps, but all of them join the show in a recurring capacity.

Akuwudike has appeared in the TV series “Hanna,” “Ridley Road,” and “War of the Worlds,” along with the films “1917” and “Brexit.” Atour was a cast member in Season 2 of Netflix’s “The Witcher,” and was a series regular on the streamer’s “Young Wallander” series. Kenworthy makes her television debut on “The Rings of Power” after graduating from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. Towle graduated from Guildhall School of Drama last year, and appeared in Netflix’s “Persuasion” as well as the stage adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s “The Ocean at the End of the Lane.”

Daniels is best known for his theater work, having won an Olivier Award in 2001 for a production of “All My Sons” — he also received an Olivier nomination for “The Normal Heart” and a Tony nomination for “Les Liaisons Dangereuses.” Daniels’ screen credits include “Jupiter’s Legacy,” “The Crown,” “The Exorcist,” “House of Cards,” “Law & Order: UK,” “Benediction,” “Captive State,” “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” and “The Exception.”

Woodeson’s television credits include “Silent Witness,” “Baptiste,” “The Honourable Woman,” “Poirot,” and “Rome,” while his film credits include “The Hustle,” “Paddington 2,” “The Danish Girl,” “Skyfall,” and “Conspiracy.” Another graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, Woodeson most recently starred on stage in “The Two Popes,” “The Pope,” “The Mirror and The Light,” “The Visit,” “The Room,” and “Death of a Salesman.”

Hazeldine’s credits include the Netflix series “The Sandman” and “The Playlist,” as well as “Peaky Blinders,” “Slow Horses,” “The Huntsman: Winter’s War,” “Mechanic: Resurrection,” and “The Last Duel.” He will star in the Apple TV+ miniseries “Masters of the Air,” as well as the film “A Beautiful Imperfection.”

“Since its premiere, ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power’ has been bringing audiences together to experience the magic and wonder of J.R.R. Tolkien’s magnificent Middle-earth. To date, season one is the top Original series for Prime Video in every region and has been viewed by over 100 million people worldwide, a truly global hit that speaks to the universal nature of powerful storytelling,” Vernon Sanders, the head of global television at Amazon Studios, said in a statement. “We welcome these wonderful actors to our ‘fellowship’ and look forward to telling more incredible Second Age stories in season two.”

Showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay executive produce Season 2 of “The Lord of the Rings: the Rings of Power” with Lindsey Weber, Callum Greene, Justin Doble, Jason Cahill, and Gennifer Hutchison. Charlotte Brandstrom co-executive produces, Kate Hazell and Helen Shang produce, and Andrew Lee, Matthew Penry-Davey, and Clare Buxton co-produce.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...155852013.html

I liked Adar as far as the actor who played him.
Old 12-09-22, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Advice for the 2nd Season: Stop talking so much. I want to be entertained not bogged down in dialogue that I personally don't give a crap about. Make it sweet, simple, whatever, but don't draw it out 10 episodes. Have 10 episodes of awesome special effects and dragons, creatures, fighting, etc. Dialogue is fine if there are some longer moments mixed into an episode or two, but don't make it 80% or more of the friggin' series.

Also, where the hell did that $550 million go, anyway, because it sure didn't look like even 10% went to the first season.
B.A. (12-12-22)
Old 05-29-23, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Might as well post in here since it's the finale.

I finally got Prime and watched this.

I'd put it on par with The Hobbit trilogy. Doesn't hit the high notes of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

There was a lot to keep up with and try to connect to future characters and events. The mithril story probably interested me the most.
milo bloom (05-29-23)