Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Watcher (Netflix) S: Naomi Watts, Cannavale, C: Ryan Murphy - premieres 10/13/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Watcher (Netflix) S: Naomi Watts, Cannavale, C: Ryan Murphy - premieres 10/13/22

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-22, 03:26 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

After the Brannock family moves into what was supposed to be their suburban dream home, it quickly becomes a living hell. Ominous letters from someone calling themself “The Watcher” are just the beginning as the neighborhood’s sinister secrets come spilling out. Inspired by the true story of the infamous “Watcher” house in New Jersey.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Bobby Cannavale
· Christopher McDonald
· Henry Hunter Hall
· Isabel Gravitt
· Jennifer Coolidge
· Joe Mantello
· Luke David Blumm
· Margo Martindale
· Mia Farrow
· Michael Nouri
· Naomi Watts
· Noma Dumezweni
· Richard Kind
· Terry Kinney

CREW INFORMATION:
· Ariel Schulman as EP
· Bryan Unkeless as EP
· Eric Newman as EP
· Henry Joost as EP
· Ian Brennan as CRTR/EP
· Ryan Murphy as CRTR/EP
Old 10-13-22, 05:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: The Watcher (Netflix) S: Naomi Watts, Cannavale, C: Ryan Murphy - premieres 10/13/22

Whoa. I’ll take that over Halloween Ends. Nice cast, looked really spooky. Can’t wait.
Old 10-24-22, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Netflix "The Watcher" limited series

Has anyone watched this? I was quite disappointed with the ending. I know it's loosely based off of a true story, but it felt like very lazy writing to make nearly everyone look like a suspect at one point or another and then have an ending like that. They didn't have to go through the trouble to tie anything together at the end. There's not much need to go back and watch episodes again to try and catch clues you may have missed because there is not big revelation when all is said and done.
Old 10-24-22, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Netflix "The Watcher" limited series

Originally Posted by movieguru
Has anyone watched this? I was quite disappointed with the ending. I know it's loosely based off of a true story, but it felt like very lazy writing to make nearly everyone look like a suspect at one point or another and then have an ending like that. They didn't have to go through the trouble to tie anything together at the end. There's not much need to go back and watch episodes again to try and catch clues you may have missed because there is not big revelation when all is said and done.
Like all of Murphy shows, they start out real good and just get dumb towards the end.

I watched all 7 and it follows the pattern. Wasn’t terrible, but this should have been 5 episodes
Old 10-25-22, 09:53 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: The Watcher (Netflix) S: Naomi Watts, Cannavale, C: Ryan Murphy - premieres 10/13/22

I've watched the first episode and I like the vibe and the cast. I guess if I don't expect too much I don't be disappointed.
Old 10-25-22, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Netflix "The Watcher" limited series

Originally Posted by movieguru
Saw a YouTube video comparing the series with the true story.
Spoiler:
the true story was mirrored in the series. Both had the same ending.

Old 10-27-22, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I was pretty invested for the first 3-4 episodes, then it got kinda boring and repetitive until a just downright bad ending.
Par for the course for Murphy I guess
Old 10-30-22, 11:52 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Annoyed at myself for watching this
Old 11-07-22, 11:35 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Renewed:
https://deadline.com/2022/11/netflix...-2-1235165592/
Old 11-07-22, 11:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This is super loosely based on an actual story so what can they do for season 2? Is this gonna be like the Amityville films and by season 5 we’re in space?
Old 11-08-22, 07:31 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

It was pretty good, I didn't expect much of an ending so I couldn't be disappointed.
Old 11-08-22, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Great cast, fun twists. But that last episode: that thing shit the bed. The finale made me feel like I had wasted my time getting to that point.
Old 11-08-22, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I wonder why they renewed it considering all the negative responses from nearly everyone that watched it. It may have had a lot of viewings for the first series, but who's going to want to come back? I don't think anyone will expect a different ending for season two than we got for season one, and not many are going to want to invest the time if they're not getting some sort of resolution by the season's end.
Old 11-08-22, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
This is super loosely based on an actual story so what can they do for season 2? Is this gonna be like the Amityville films and by season 5 we’re in space?
Difference is, many events in The Watcher actually happened. The Amityville Horror was a straight-up hoax.
Old 12-28-22, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Despite the "real" letters that were sent, a lot of the interactions in the show were a little over the top. Were there really people even hinting at child abuse? Was a secret tunnel really found and a chase? It just got to be silly and without any payoff for a show that wasn't originally going to be renewed.