Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (S1E09) - Season Finale - "Whose Show is This" - 10/13/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (S1E09) - Season Finale - "Whose Show is This" - 10/13/22

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-22, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Re: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (S1E09) - Season Finale - "Whose Show is This" - 10/13/22

Originally Posted by cultshock
Point for you I guess, congrats.
Congratulations to me because I know the correct spelling of a great comedian's name that YOU posted that YOU loved?
Not certain how much pride I can take in being smarter than you, but I will accept your recognition. Thank you.
Old 10-18-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (S1E09) - Season Finale - "Whose Show is This" - 10/13/22

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Do you see where I am going? T'Challa is a character.
I maintain the average white MCU moviegoer does not know his real name is "T'Challa".

In addition to being the crime-fighting superhero Black Panther, he is the king of Wakanda, so he is a world political figure. He is the son of a murdered father. He has an ongoing love interest in Nakia. His relationship and partnership with his sister Shuri is huge part of life.
I do not think that movie made over a billion dollars because of any of those reasons.

The normal business decision would be for Disney/Marvel to recast. They invested a lot of time and money and film stock in creating and defining this character, and the world responded with adoration for this character. They have a franchise based on the T'Challa character. With Tony Stark and Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanov gone, T'Challa would have been at the forefront of any new Avengers coalition.
I think the setting of Wakanda, the Black Panther armor and black representation on-screen are all far more important than any of those reasons for the movies success besides Boseman himself (which is obviously not fixable).

It is incredibly unusual and actually shocking that they would kill off the character because the actor died. We know why they made that decision, but goes to prove that it is invalid to say that the MCU movies can be dismissed as disposable popcorn entertainment.
Everyone knows Boseman died in real life so no one is expecting a new T'Challa. I don't know why a new actor playing T'Challa would be important to anyone. Again, it's about the setting, the politics, the armor and Boseman and we can't have Boseman anymore.

Oh, and I never said they SHOULD have recast. I'm saying that would have been the normal business decision.
And again, I don't think the name "T'Challa" is important at all to the continued success of the Black Panther series. In fact, I think another actor playing Boseman's character would be a huge distraction. They only reason they got away with it so early with Nortan/Ruffalo was because they were only a few movies in.
Old 10-18-22, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think you are greatly overestimating the intelligence of the general audience.

Do you have any idea how many times I had to explain that on Lost, the people on the island weren't dead the whole time? And even after going into great detail about how it ended, they still thought they were dead the whole time?

Or how many people couldn't grasp that Pulp Fiction wasn't told in chronological order? "Why was John Travolta in the diner at the end when Bruce Willis just killed him?"
No offense but it's not our job as viewers to worry about that. I liked it, I can't worry about other people not getting it.
Old 10-18-22, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

You are a corporation that has made a movie about a superhero character that has made $1.3 billion at the box office, killing him off after one movie is crazy from a business perspective.
Out of sheer morbid curiosity I ventured into this thread, lol...somewhat surprised to see Black Panther enter the arena. It's a bold choice for sure to fold a real life passing into the MCU storyline, and I'm fascinated by how it will go over. (could work, could be a disaster) Yes, traditionally the recast would be the way to go...but over what I'm sure were many painful meetings they made the decision to lean into it. Not sure how this connects to She-Hulk, but I made my thoughts known in a few episode threads and bowed out...seems like I made the right decision.
Old 10-18-22, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Bravo! Loved this finale. This show surprised me, as I originally had low interest in this series.

Creativity was off the charts, which is what I value the most from a TV series or movie. Writers brought their best for this show.

My top 3 Marvel shows are now:

Loki
WandaVision
She-Hulk

The following users liked this post:
story (10-18-22)
Old 10-18-22, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Glad to see that Marvel has fully hopped aboard the "let's attack our customers" train. I hope that works out well for them.

This show was a true abomination. Stage 4 Marvel is a terrible thing. I don't expect stage 5 to be any better.

At least I won't be watching this nasty female character on TV every week now.
Jesus, read the room man.
The following 2 users liked this post by JTH182:
Franchot (10-29-22), majorjoe23 (10-19-22)
Old 10-18-22, 09:47 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

This entire series, especially the finale, was a lot of fun, I really liked it. I'll rewatch this, perhaps the first Marvel show that I'll rewatch so far just to enjoy it, not simply to catch up before the next movie.
The following 5 users liked this post by story:
Cusm (11-04-22), DeFan (10-23-22), Red Dog (10-19-22), Trevor (10-19-22), whotony (10-18-22)
Old 10-18-22, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Jesus, read the room man.
So I should change my opinion to match that of everyone else here?
Old 10-18-22, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

So I should change my opinion to match that of everyone else here?
Your post was literally some incel shit. I am not saying you are. But when you call a TV character a "nasty female", that doesn't come across very well and gives insight to the type of things you believe in.
The following 5 users liked this post by Deftones:
Adam Tyner (10-23-22), csant (10-20-22), Cusm (11-04-22), majorjoe23 (10-19-22), The Antipodean (10-18-22)
Old 10-18-22, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

What's wrong with being an incel?
Old 10-18-22, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Seriously though?
Old 10-18-22, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Welp, no sense in furthering this discussion.
The following 3 users liked this post by Deftones:
Adam Tyner (10-23-22), Hokeyboy (10-19-22), majorjoe23 (10-23-22)
Old 10-19-22, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Incel is a portmanteau for “involuntary celibate.” So someone who can’t get laid even though they would like to.

Someone might be celibate or asexual by choice. Nothing wrong with that. But if someone has their celibacy thrust upon them because of their own terrible choices, world views and opinions about She-Hulk, that seems like an issue.
Old 10-19-22, 09:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I’m more a DC guy, but have enjoyed all of the MCU both in film and TV from even before 2008. But this series, from beginning to especially end, was perhaps the most fun I’ve had the entire time. Perfect.
Adam Tyner (11-06-22)
Old 10-20-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

My wife and I enjoyed the show quite a bit. Emil's therapy group was hilarious, DD was awesome, and the finale was very funny. Tatiana is great, and I look forward to her showing up in more shows or movies.

While I haven't read the comics, any comics really, I'm aware of SheHulk's 4th wall abilities. I enjoyed when it happened, but like Dooku, do have some questions about how it will be incorporated in the future. I'm sure it will be fine, as Marvel is generally pretty good about wrangling the absurdity that comics have gotten into and making it palatable to the uninformed.
Old 10-20-22, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

K.e.v.I.n. Said the glitch was closed.
Other then in a SheHulk tv show it isn’t likely we will see that again.
Old 10-23-22, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I maintain the average white MCU moviegoer does not know his real name is "T'Challa".

And again, I don't think the name "T'Challa" is important at all to the continued success of the Black Panther series. In fact, I think another actor playing Boseman's character would be a huge distraction. They only reason they got away with it so early with Nortan/Ruffalo was because they were only a few movies in.

I understand the other things you are saying in disagreement with me, but I am completely confused by your insisted comment that the name T'Challa is not important.
What's important was the person named T'Challa.
He was the character that the franchise was about. Another character can put on a suit and be Black Panther because that's all stunt people and CGI anyways. But the character of T'Challa is gone, so now the franchise is about an entirely different character, and that's a big gamble. It's like if Daniel Craig died, and they decided to promote Ben Whishaw's Q to 007, instead of recasting a new James Bond.

The reason you think replacing Boseman as T'Challa would be a distraction is because you recognize that audiences take these movies seriously, which was the whole point to begin with.
Old 10-24-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
K.e.v.I.n. Said the glitch was closed.
Other then in a SheHulk tv show it isn’t likely we will see that again.
I took that to mean the glitch that allowed SheHulk to confront KEVIN was fixed.

edit: seems the head writer agrees.

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/520...o-make-a-cameo

"In a separate interview with Variety, Gao indicated that she’s not in favor of returning to K.E.V.I.N. any time soon.“I like when K.E.V.I.N. says that the glitch has been fixed, because I don’t want every character in the MCU to [be able to] confront him about their plotlines,” noted Gao. “So I’m hoping that it’s a one-time thing. We now know that it exists, but I don’t think that we should revisit it all the time.”"
Old 10-25-22, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

This was a triumph. I'm making a note here huge success. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
Old 10-25-22, 08:13 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

I think there were some slow episodes at times in the season, but I have to admit, they really stuck the landing in the season finale. As a big Deadpool fan, the 4th wall breaks were great. The Kevin robot was brilliant and the self deprecating humor was really funny too. I wonder where they will go in season 2 and how they will tie She-Hulk into the movies?
Old 11-03-22, 02:28 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

OldBoy (11-05-22)
Old 11-04-22, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Fun episode also sad to hear about Tim Roth's son dies from cancer.
Old 11-04-22, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Old 11-04-22, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Sorry I missed this and wanted to reply.

I understand the other things you are saying in disagreement with me, but I am completely confused by your insisted comment that the name T'Challa is not important.
What's important was the person named T'Challa.
No, it's not. What was important was Chadwick Boseman playing Black Panther. That can't happen anymore, but it's not because a character named T'Challa HAS to be in the film. Boseman is gone and replacing the actor for a character who is only important BECAUSE OF BOSEMAN is pointless.

He was the character that the franchise was about. Another character can put on a suit and be Black Panther because that's all stunt people and CGI anyways. But the character of T'Challa is gone, so now the franchise is about an entirely different character, and that's a big gamble. It's like if Daniel Craig died, and they decided to promote Ben Whishaw's Q to 007, instead of recasting a new James Bond.
I actually think that's a fantastic idea. And Bond is a weird comparison, because that's a franchise built on pretending that James Bond isn't a code name but an actual person and consequently the whole thing is a mess continuity-wise. If they just said James Bond was a code name from the start (which they totally should have so I don't have to pretend that Daniel Craig and Sean Connery are the same person 60 years apart), then Q could easily take that on.

The reason you think replacing Boseman as T'Challa would be a distraction is because you recognize that audiences take these movies seriously, which was the whole point to begin with.
My point is that everyone would be pretending that "Not Chadwick Boseman" was playing the same character and everyone involved knows that Boseman died, so what is the point of pretending he didn't? Just make someone else the Black Panther because T'Challa "died" - you know, exactly what happened in Civil War already when T'Challa's father died. It's so much cleaner and makes a lot more sense from a continuity perspective too.
Old 11-05-22, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

If that's how you feel, no roles should be recast. Terence Howard may not have passed away but Don Cheadle (the better Rhodie by the way) is nothing more than "not Terence Howard". Whoever takes over for Thunderbolt Ross (is the casting of Ford in the role official?) is merely " not William Hurt". The casting change might be mildly distracting at first, but if the performance is good enough the audience will roll with it. They should have given another actor the opportunity to portray T'Challa. It was never about Chadwick Boseman himself but rather the character that was headlining a major motion picture and the beginning of a franchise in its own right.

I know the conversation was not with me but it does irk me that no attempt was made to keep the character going. But, in any case, why isn't this conversation taking place in the Wakanda Forever thread over in the Movie Forum?​​

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-05-22 at 04:36 PM.
story (11-05-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.