Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (S1E09) - Season Finale - "Whose Show is This" - 10/13/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (S1E09) - Season Finale - "Whose Show is This" - 10/13/22

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Re: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (S1E09) - Season Finale - "Whose Show is This" - 10/13/22

OK, I liked the entire season a lot, but I absolutely LOVED the last two episodes. This one was spot on with what a She-Hulk show should be.

To those of you who think she shouldn't be breaking the fourth wall - YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!

Seriously, that was the whole thing that saved the character in the late 80's. Her first comic had been given to a C List art/writer team and it was utterly mediocre. It got canceled as a result. John Byrne wanted to bring her back, but as an irreverent spoof of superhero comics, with She-Hulk constantly breaking the fourth wall. BEFORE DEADPOOL!

That was her thing.

If this She-Hulk didn't break the fourth wall there would be no reason for the show existing. PERIOD. Byrne's run on She-Hulk improved her standing in the comics, and she got popular enough to join the Fantastic Four (and the Avengers, if I remember correctly). Her own comic has gone up and down in popularity, but as a character she became very popular.

So the TV She-Hulk absolutely has to be irreverent and she absolutely has to break the fourth wall. That's her thing. Without it, it's like, well, Peter Parker without his ordinary, everyday problems. Imagine a Spider-Man movie where Peter Parker gets along with everyone and is halfway popular. And he has a great job, and is never late for work, and Aunt May is super healthy and happy and wealthy after Uncle Ben's life insurance paid off big time. It wouldn't be right. It would be a different character. The same is true of She-Hulk and the irreverence and the fourth wall breaking.

Sermon over.

This episode started off brilliantly. The reworking of the original Incredible Hulk TV intro was awesome! I know a lot of younger people won't get it, but so what? It was great!

And the stoppage of the episode and what happened thereafter with KEVIN? Priceless! They gave Feige a reaming for all the mediocrity that we've seen from Marvel in the last few years. And deservedly so.

I would love to see She-Hulk in the next Avengers movie. Why not? And have her guest on Daredevil. Why not? They've got great chemistry!

While I did have some issues with this season (like, why almost every single guy on the show is such a douchebag or an idiot or an asshole - it got to be a bit much after a while), but the positives way outweigh the negatives. This was a lot of fun.

Can't wait for Season 2!
The following 2 users liked this post by B5Erik:
B.A. (10-24-22), story (10-18-22)
Old 10-14-22, 08:23 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (S1E09) - Season Finale - "Whose Show is This" - 10/13/22

At the end of Episode 8, Jennifer Walters realizes that there’s something horribly amiss with her show, Marvel Studios’ She-Hulk. Ever since she became a Hulk, she’s known that there’s someone behind-the-curtain tinkering with her and her show, and she’s blindly trusted that they had her best interest at heart. But as Damage Control agents surround her with their weapons drawn, Jen glances at us, the viewers. She knows something’s wrong and she’s not ok with it anymore. Well, after the fiasco at the gala, she’s realized that’s not the case anymore.

“She’s so self-aware and she knows she’s in a show, and she knows that there is somebody writing this and pulling the strings for now,” head writer Jessica Gao tells Marvel.com. “Up until now, she always played along because she felt like, ‘OK, well, this is the story that I was meant to live out.’ There was this unspoken assumption that whoever was doing it had more or less her best interest in mind or at least didn't have any malicious intent. In this moment [at the end of Episode 8], it was the betrayal of knowing that they didn't have her best interests in mind.”

After being stripped of She-Hulk (physically, she’s got an inhibitor placed on her), let go from her job, forced to move back home, and unable to reach her cousin Bruce Banner, Jen’s hits her lowest point. With nowhere else to go an nothing else to do, Jen decides to head to Emil Blonsky’s retreat for a bit of self-discovery and reflection. Instead finds wall-to-wall chaos.

What is going on? Are you guys into this? Please tell me this is not how the season ends. Realizing what kind of insanity is unfurling, Jen does what she does best — break the fourth wall — and heads over to get to the bottom of what’s going on. She’s directed to talk to someone about the issues in Marvel Studios’ She-Hulk, and marches right over there.

Jennifer Walters, meet the Knowledge Enhanced Visual Interconnectivity Nexus — better known as K.E.V.I.N.

“It's funny because I've seen a lot of online chatter of people speculating that [Marvel Studios president] Kevin Feige is going to make a cameo in the show,” Gao continues. “But I can't imagine this is how they thought that the cameo would happen!”

If you’re wondering who’s pulling the strings at Marvel Studios, it’s this AI machine that uses the most advanced entertainment algorithm in the world to produce the storylines. For viewers waiting for a clear-cut traditional Marvel ending with a huge brawl and lots of explosions…this is not it.

“I think I probably wrote like, 20 versions of a finale that went all over the place and I started feeling like, ‘Well, this is a Marvel show, I better give them the classic Marvel ending,’” Gao continues. “Big villain fight, big finale. But it never felt right because I was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.”

It was the real-life Kevin, Kevin Feige, who helped Gao realize that maybe She-Hulk didn’t need the big villain battle ending. After a talk, Feige “really opened my mind to the idea that it's OK to not do that because I was trying to do what I thought was the Marvel expectation of what the show had to be. He was like, ‘Why? No one's telling you to do that, you don't have to do that, you can do something completely different, we should be doing something completely different because this show is so different from anything that Marvel has done.’ It was getting that permission from him that really made me think, ‘Oh.’ It just changed everything.”

Gao cites the John Byrne run of SHE-HULK comics for inspiration for this extreme four-wall break, explaining “It felt natural that not only that she was in a show, but that she would have opinions about the show, especially since she just was completely betrayed by the makers of this show. It just felt right that she would go and complain to the ultimate lord of Marvel, which is K.E.V.I.N..”

Once the idea that Jen would go to Marvel Studios itself and reach K.E.V.I.N.’s office, the creative team started toying around with the idea of actually getting a human to play K.E.V.I.N., joking that they would “stunt cast it with like George Clooney or Jon Hamm, a very handsome debonair man in a tuxedo. K.E.V.I.N. is essentially this James Bond-type man in a tux.”

But turning K.E.V.I.N. into a robotic machine just made more sense (and was funnier) for the absurdity of the finale— including giving him a little hat, too. However, not everyone was automatically on board with putting something on K.E.V.I.N.’s head.

“I wrote in the script that when she sees this big AI machine, it's wearing a little black baseball hat, a classic Kevin Feige-style black baseball hat,” Gao recalls. “When the [visual development team] was showing us different possible sketches of K.E.V.I.N., they were all wearing little hats. No matter what type of robot or machine it was, it was wearing a little black baseball hat on top. [Human] Kevin said, ‘Well, that doesn't make a lick of sense, why would a robot wear a hat?’ I said, ‘That's the part that doesn't make sense to you, Kevin, that is the line of logic that you won't cross, we have you represented as an AI brain that is controlling all of the Marvel Cinematic Universes, but the thing that you can't get past is that it might have a hat on top of the machine?’ And he said, ‘Yeah.’”

Eventually, it was proposed that the hat would actually be incorporated into the robot, instead of just sitting on top of the robot’s head. “That was the compromise that we made where now it made logical sense for Kevin and I got to have what looks like a little Kevin hat on this machine,” Gao says with a laugh.

Feige had a few other suggestions for the episode, too, floating the idea that Jen should go and find the She-Hulk writer’s room first before going to K.E.V.I.N. Gao laughs at the thought of this, mentioning that the fake writers in the fake room actually discuss Feige like the real employees (and fans) at Marvel Studios.

“It was just so funny to make these writers revere Kevin in the way that everyone at Marvel Studios reveres Kevin. This is kind of how Kevin is talked about at the studio. I mean, I really drew so much from real life to put into that section of the finale.”

Another meta moment for the show falls with the receptionist at Marvel Studios, played by the then-actual receptionist at Marvel Studios.

“Matt Wilkie, who plays the receptionist is, or at the time, was the receptionist at Marvel,” Gao recalls. “My hope— and he's since been promoted which I'll hold against him forever because it ruins my dream, which was that somebody would watch the show and then have a meeting at Marvel Studios and then go to that actual lobby, see Matt Wilkie and sign the NDA.”

With the season of She-Hulk now at the end, Gao couldn’t be happier with how it all played out. And she wants to remind everyone that, all along, the show was telling viewers it was going to go to different places in the MCU.

“This feels right for this show,” she adds. “This is not the right ending for every show, but this is the right ending for this show. We could not have been more clear about what this show is. From day one, we've been very upfront and honest about what kind of show this is, what the expectations for the show will be. And for some reason, people love to not believe that…even though we've been telling them for months now that this is what the show is going to be.”

But, one last question: Do you say Kevin or call the AI K-E-V-I-N?

Gao is leaving that up to viewers to decide. “I think it depends. I think it's how you know him and how comfortable you are with him.”
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-s...k-finale-kevin
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
B.A. (10-24-22), story (10-18-22), tanman (10-25-22)
Old 10-14-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik

I would love to see She-Hulk in the next Avengers movie. Why not? And have her guest on Daredevil. Why not? They've got great chemistry!
The problem with that is she's not real. Just a character on a tv show in the Marvel Universe. Any other show or movie she appears in wouldn't be real either. Just a show within a show. She would know it's just a movie. The actress playing She-Hulk could appear as herself in the movies and other shows. Daredevil, Hulk and Abomination can still appear in movies and shows because they really exist in the MCU and just guest starred on the She-Hulk show playing themselves. However, Daredevil has now revealed his identity of Matt Murdock to everybody in the MCU on tv.
She's a tv show character who is self aware and can't interact with the real world outside of what is written for her to do by the writers. She has no freewill.

What they could do is have Tatiania Maslany appear in another show/movie as the actress who plays She-Hulk on tv. Have an accident happen that turns the actress into the She-Hulk for real. The real She-Hulk interacts with the MCU while starring in her own tv show also. In the movies we see the real She-Hulk, serious and helping to save the world, while doing the She-Hulk show in her spare time.
Like how comic books of super heroes exist with the comics. Didn't Captain America show kids with Captain America comic books?
They could have Dr. Strange or somebody cast a spell or something that turns her into a real person. Then, if another season of the tv is green lighted, reverse the spell, putting her back as a tv character who has to be scripted by the show writers.

Last edited by rw2516; 10-14-22 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-14-22, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

"This is not the right ending for every show, but this is the right ending for this show"
Perfectly sums it up. What a fantastic finale!

Originally Posted by rw2516
The problem with that is she's not real. Just a character on a tv show in the Marvel Universe. Any other show or movie she appears in wouldn't be real either. Just a show within a show. She would know it's just a movie. The actress playing She-Hulk could appear as herself in the movies and other shows. Daredevil, Hulk and Abomination can still appear in movies and shows because they really exist in the MCU and just guest starred on the She-Hulk show playing themselves. However, Daredevil has now revealed his identity of Matt Murdock to everybody in the MCU on tv.
She's a tv show character who is self aware and can't interact with the real world outside of what is written for her to do by the writers. She has no freewill.

What they could do is have Tatiania Maslany appear in another show/movie as the actress who plays She-Hulk on tv. Have an accident happen that turns the actress into the She-Hulk for real. The real She-Hulk interacts with the MCU while starring in her own tv show also. In the movies we see the real She-Hulk, serious and helping to save the world, while doing the She-Hulk show in her spare time.
Like how comic books of super heroes exist with the comics. Didn't Captain America show kids with Captain America comic books?
They could have Dr. Strange or somebody cast a spell or something that turns her into a real person. Then, if another season of the tv is green lighted, reverse the spell, putting her back as a tv character who has to be scripted by the show writers.
I'm not a She-Hulk reader but I've seen her show up in other comics. They obviously handled the 4th wall breaks in those. What's the difference? Why make it so convoluted?

It's like people haven't read the comics before. Comics are ALWAYS dealing with these kinds of issues. Somehow we accept that Peter Parker has been roughly the same age for 60 years but a 4th-wall breaking character messes up the whole MCU?
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (10-14-22)
Old 10-14-22, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
All I could think about while watching it was all the fans who insist upon making sense of the various MCU properties as canon.

Old 10-14-22, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm not a She-Hulk reader but I've seen her show up in other comics. They obviously handled the 4th wall breaks in those. What's the difference? Why make it so convoluted?

It's like people haven't read the comics before. Comics are ALWAYS dealing with these kinds of issues. Somehow we accept that Peter Parker has been roughly the same age for 60 years but a 4th-wall breaking character messes up the whole MCU?
Yeah, there are lots of times when I've read someone's take (or complaint) on an MCU project and thought "Now there's a person who is not a comic book reader". As a looong time reader, sometimes you just have to go with the flow and enjoy the ride. And I enjoyed the ride on this show a whole hell of a lot, I thought it was wonderfully fun.
AGuyNamedMike (10-18-22)
Old 10-14-22, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Consumers of MCU films and television shows that have never read a Marvel comic book.

Which do you think it is: a majority, an overwhelming majority, or a vast majority?

Old 10-14-22, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

No.
The following 3 users liked this post by JTH182:
B.A. (10-24-22), Boondock Saint (10-15-22), story (10-18-22)
Old 10-14-22, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Consumers of MCU films and television shows that have never read a Marvel comic book.
Which is why they should be appealing to general audiences.
Old 10-14-22, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I generally haven’t been as critical of the She-Hulk CGI as some have, but when
Spoiler:
Skaar showed up, holy Moses was that bad, he looked like a cross between a Cabbage Patch Kid and The Rock

Old 10-14-22, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
And they do. The general audience doesn’t care about 4th wall breaking affecting the MCU at large.
JTH182 (10-15-22)
Old 10-15-22, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Or the general audience could educate themselves by reading the comics referenced as inspirations for the series. i'm sure the Marvel comic publishing side (whether printed or digital) would love to see a rise in sales/subs because the gen pop is going back to the source material.
Bronkster (10-15-22)
Old 10-15-22, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I generally haven’t been as critical of the She-Hulk CGI as some have, but when
Spoiler:
Skaar showed up, holy Moses was that bad, he looked like a cross between a Cabbage Patch Kid and The Rock

Spoiler:
Have to agree with that! I thought he was a complete CGI creation and was surprised to see an actor's name in the credits!

Old 10-15-22, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

She-Hulk was in the Avengers in the comics, even with her fourth wall breaking in her own comic. Bruce/Hulk appears on her show, within MCU continuity.

She can absolutely be in the next Avengers movie.
Cusm (10-27-22)
Old 10-15-22, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Or the general audience could educate themselves by reading the comics referenced as inspirations for the series. i'm sure the Marvel comic publishing side (whether printed or digital) would love to see a rise in sales/subs because the gen pop is going back to the source material.
Martin Scorsese is spinning in his grave.
Nesbit (10-20-22)
Old 10-15-22, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'm not a comic reader, but a simple Google/Wiki search told me everything I needed to know to understand She-Hulk (and other MCU characters). I don't get the people complaining.
Old 10-15-22, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

What a fun show and a great season.
The following 3 users liked this post by stingermck:
OldBoy (10-15-22), Red Dog (10-18-22), story (10-18-22)
Old 10-16-22, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

The thumbs up when she asked about the X-Men was my favorite part. She played it perfectly.

Loved this show.
The following 4 users liked this post by JeremyM:
Cusm (10-27-22), Deftones (10-17-22), story (10-18-22), tanman (10-25-22)
Old 10-16-22, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeremyM
The thumbs up when she asked about the X-Men was my favorite part. She played it perfectly.

Loved this show.
Yeah, it's like she was asking on our behalf. Loved it.
The following 3 users liked this post by JTH182:
JeremyM (10-18-22), story (10-18-22), tanman (10-25-22)
Old 10-16-22, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

No dog in this fight, but I find it hilarious when people say "Audiences won't understand that..." when they really mean "I don't like it that..."

It's fucking comic book/superhero shit. Just enjoy it already
The following 3 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
Boondock Saint (10-16-22), JeremyM (10-18-22), story (10-18-22)
Old 10-16-22, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Martin Scorsese is spinning in his grave.

If Scorsese was alive today he’d be spinning in his grave.
Old 10-16-22, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I thought the finale was great.

Don’t forget MCU is serious business so don’t try to have fun.
The following 3 users liked this post by whotony:
Boondock Saint (10-16-22), Ginwen (10-18-22), story (10-18-22)
Old 10-16-22, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
No dog in this fight, but I find it hilarious when people say "Audiences won't understand that..." when they really mean "I don't like it that..."
I think you are greatly overestimating the intelligence of the general audience.

Do you have any idea how many times I had to explain that on Lost, the people on the island weren't dead the whole time? And even after going into great detail about how it ended, they still thought they were dead the whole time?

Or how many people couldn't grasp that Pulp Fiction wasn't told in chronological order? "Why was John Travolta in the diner at the end when Bruce Willis just killed him?"
Old 10-16-22, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think you are greatly overestimating the intelligence of the general audience.

Do you have any idea how many times I had to explain that on Lost, the people on the island weren't dead the whole time? And even after going into great detail about how it ended, they still thought they were dead the whole time?

Or how many people couldn't grasp that Pulp Fiction wasn't told in chronological order? "Why was John Travolta in the diner at the end when Bruce Willis just killed him?"
I dunno man, I've rarelyhad that problem. I saw PF opening night, in 1994, and the crowd I was with totally got it without issue. You're always going to have some stragglers who just don't get it. Lahz im gaym.

My favorite "audiences won't understand" moment was around the late 90s and Tim Burton was trying to get his Superman project off the ground, and the typical vocal fanboy types on alt.nerd.obsessive were screeching at the top of their lungs that the new cinematic Superman "had to be Dean Cain. Period." Because audiences would reject anyone else because they'd be confused. Same with Superman Returns and Tom Welling.

General audiences do just fine. They are not as "tuned in" to continuity or who's starring as what or which character is one way on one platform and another way on another platform. That is entirely the purview of the hardcore geek minority.

General audiences are just there for a good time, to be entertained for 90-120 minutes and then skidaddle.
Old 10-17-22, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
General audiences do just fine. They are not as "tuned in" to continuity or who's starring as what or which character is one way on one platform and another way on another platform. That is entirely the purview of the hardcore geek minority.

General audiences are just there for a good time, to be entertained for 90-120 minutes and then skidaddle.
I agree with what you are saying in general, but I do not agree with regard to the MCU.

It's one of the marketing points of the MCU that it is a cohesive universe, even across the films and the TV shows, and it is all interconnected, so they are selling you on watching it all to keep up, so you have to go to the theaters for the new releases and have Disney+.

I mean, if what you are saying is true, then they would have just recast Black Panther and moved on, right?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.