Reload this Page >

Jack Ryan (Amazon) - Season 3 Thread - premieres 12/21/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jack Ryan (Amazon) - Season 3 Thread - premieres 12/21/22

Old 12-23-22, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: Jack Ryan (Amazon) - Season 3 Thread - premieres 12/21/22

Finished this up. Again, entertaining and engaging, if you can get past the "Jack is now a super soldier" meme

Fuck it, do a cross over season with both Jacks (Reacher and Ryan), Amazon
Old 12-23-22, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 285 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm surprised they dropped all 8 episodes at once. Doesn't Amazon usually do 2 or 3 and then weekly? Justi finished a few series and have 3 eps left of another so this will be up next.
Old 12-23-22, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 969 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I'm surprised they dropped all 8 episodes at once. Doesn't Amazon usually do 2 or 3 and then weekly? Justi finished a few series and have 3 eps left of another so this will be up next.
They didn't for this show in the past, so I assume they decided to keep the release consistent.
Old 12-23-22, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I watched the first episode last night. It was okay I suppose. There was some decent action and shootings. I’m not really a fan of Jack being screwed over and being on the run. This was filmed during the height of Covid before the Russian and Ukraine war began, but it does seem timely to have Russian bad guys. Although I am tired of Eastern European and Russian villains. That feels like 1980s material.
Old 12-27-22, 11:49 AM

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Started watching this last night - first 2 episodes - and it feels somewhat tired and uninspiring. Hopefully it picks up but I feel like I've seen this play out a number of times already.
Old 12-29-22, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Forgot to post when it happened, but I got to attend a sneak preview of the first two Season 3 episodes of Jack Ryan as part of a military/veteran appreciation USO event before Thanksgiving. John Krasinski and Michael Kelly hosted. I actually got to interact with Krasinski and told him I interviewed and photographed Tom Clancy back in the early 90s for the military magazine All Hands for a story I wrote called “Tom’s Tomes”. His eyes lit up and he said, “Really? Wow!” Pretty cool!
The following 4 users liked this post by Orbi-Wan Techno:
[email protected] (12-30-22), B.A. (01-17-23), DJariya (12-29-22), Runaway (12-29-22)
Old 12-29-22, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 279 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Started watching this last night - first 2 episodes - and it feels somewhat tired and uninspiring. Hopefully it picks up but I feel like I've seen this play out a number of times already.
It definitely gets better, the 2nd part of the season is pretty entertaining and has a lot of great action sequences, but it's still uninspiring. But that's not easy in this genre.
Old 12-29-22, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 418 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I watched the first episode. Entertaining, but all the "Jack Bourne" jokes feel validated
Yeah. I binged this the last 2 nights.

It was fine but kind of the same old constant shoot-em-up action schtick, which I really don't associate with Jack Ryan.

And the final episode with him on the US destroyer was very similar to Hunt for Red October.

The Euro city scenery was beautiful though.
Old 12-29-22, 02:21 PM

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Yes, this is a fine spy show, but I do not feel like this is Jack Ryan.

I finished this season yesterday. It took me longer than normal as I fell asleep several times.
Old 01-01-23, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 686 Likes on 423 Posts

This was a big improvement from season 2. As others have noted, Ryan is still a little too Bourne-like, but at least they did have some big plot points that depended on his skills as an intelligence analyst, which feels more like the Ryan of the early Clancy novels. The older Russian guy (played by the actor from Game of Thrones) was a good, interesting character.

I don't really find Krasinski to be that good of a dramatic actor. He's not terrible, but I think this would be a better show with a better actor in the lead role. Also, Krasinski is pretty dang tall, like 6'4", which is not ideal for a spy who needs to be able to blend into the background. When that Russian assassin dude was chasing Ryan through the streets and markets, his height IRL would have made him stick out like a sore thumb.

I really like Wendell Pierce as Greer, and I liked the actress this season who played the Czech President. I remember her from Homeland.
Old 01-06-23, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Finally finished it up. I agree that it was better than season 2, but felt a bit uninspiring. They walked out of the building and my wife said, ďThatís it?Ē I guess itís good things are restrained, because I was anticipating him to overstep the captain and tell the President what he should do.

I believe the next season has already been announced to be the last? For as much fanfare this got at first, they seem to have packed their bags pretty quick.
Old 01-06-23, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm still enjoying this, especially the great location scenery.

But there were times when it got a little silly. I mean, the president of a country goes missing, and no one seems to notice? Or when she's walking through the catacombs in Moscow like she's part of Scooby Doo's gang? Please!
Old 01-07-23, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm still enjoying this, especially the great location scenery.
They REALLY wanted us to know they filmed on location. Every phone call, walk-and-talk conversation, and exposition dump, that most likely would have happened in an office, was held in the middle of the street with European architecture in the background.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (01-07-23)
Old 01-07-23, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I just finished it up tonight. Definitely better than season 2. But I still feel this type of storyline is dated and has been used countless times in 80s and 90s movies. But, in the final episode of the season, I did feel a little influence from The Hunt from Red October and in the bonus content, the producers said they wanted to do that as a ode to the Clancy books.

I felt the season started a little slow and there were some parts that were boring. But it picked up around episode 5. The military caravan sequence was pretty exciting. Jack and Luka had an interesting dynamic between them. I know Jack is an analyst. But the producers did say they wanted to use Jack’s background as a First lieutenant in the Marines in the action sequences. They felt like his background made those sequences credible even though he’s not really associated with being an “action hero” in the books.

Well, it’s going to be a really really long wait for the final season. I assume it will come out around this time in 2024.
Old 01-07-23, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 969 Likes on 672 Posts

Finished it. Some of it, especially the ending, had major Hunt For Red October vibes. It was ok. Better than S2, not nearly as good as S1. Greer and November were the best parts of this season..
Old 01-15-23, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

For some reason, despite my excitement when this series was first announced, I didn't get around to watching any of it until now. I just got done with season one and really enjoyed it. I'll be starting S2 tomorrow, and will hopefully get to S3 in quick succession.
Old 01-22-23, 01:39 AM

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

I really like these shows and agree that this season was better than 2 but not as good as one.

Greer and November were great (and November giving his card to the Czech president was awesome).

My only problem with this show is that I know heís going to be President of the United States one day, and thatís gonna be weird knowing heís killed (and will still kill) a lot of people.