TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Rookie (ABC) -- Season 5 -- Premieres 9/25/22

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-22, 07:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: The Rookie (ABC) -- Season 5 -- Premieres 9/25/22

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Just for the heck of it, I watched the second half on Rookie Feds.
  1. Is it the Niecy Nash show or the Britt Robertson show? Because it seemed like a lot of Britt.
  2. Niecy! Button up your fucking shirt!. Pretty sure the FBI still has a dress code about showing so much cleavage.
  3. I know it is just a few episodes in, but shut the fuck up about being a guidance counselor!
Funny, #1 is exactly what I thought as well. They are giving her a ton of screen time and she has crossed over to THE ROOKIE, I think 3/4 episodes this season. Almost feels like they are going to write Nash out, but this is a Season 1 show and not 5.

2/3 Yeah, no one needs to see that and her being a counselor was cute for a minute. They are trying to show how her and Nolan are so similar with blue collar jobs, but they really only bring up his contracting stuff here and there in the storyline when it makes sense, unlike Nash.
Old 10-30-22, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

10/30/22 episode 506

Is it just me or is Nolan's rookie annoying AF? Especially with all the superstitious stuff like reading auras and premonitions. And then the whole sleep thing in this episode. She's like a 12 year old child.

Was that Gunn from Angel?

Man, Bridget Regan still looks stunning.

I think this show suffers from trying to include plots for too many characters in every episode.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (10-30-22)
Old 10-30-22, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

My wife and I both hate Nolan's rookie. The superstitious stuff is obnoxious
The following 3 users liked this post by Deftones:
bunkaroo (10-31-22), Cellar Door (10-31-22), GuessWho (10-31-22)
Old 10-31-22, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

This episode opened with a real pet peeve of mine: characters preparing cartoonishly large meals that they clearly will never eat. And what are the chances that Jenna Dewan has ever eaten ONE entire pancake in her adult life?
Old 10-31-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
My wife and I both hate Nolan's rookie. The superstitious stuff is obnoxious
30 Helens agree

https://www.cbr.com/the-rookie-the-r...s-credibility/

The Rookie Season 5's introduction of Celina Juarez hasn't worked, as some viewers think Lisseth Chavez's character is ruining the ABC series.
Old 11-07-22, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Really sick of the new rookie and her bad energy BS. Also tired of crimes happening right in front of these cops, like the woman shooting the corpse in the car. And since she thought she was murdering the doctor, why wasn't she charged with a more serious crime? She obviously had the intent to kill him. Also tired of the undercover stories.
Old 11-07-22, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

Yeah, now they've got Bailey buying into the woo woo stuff, too.
Old 11-07-22, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Really sick of the new rookie and her bad energy BS. Also tired of crimes happening right in front of these cops, like the woman shooting the corpse in the car. And since she thought she was murdering the doctor, why wasn't she charged with a more serious crime? She obviously had the intent to kill him. Also tired of the undercover stories.
Even though she did attempt to kill him in her own mind, you can't attempt to murder someone who is already dead in reality. That's why they talked about desecrating a corpse and illegally discharging a firearm. Plus, she was sympathetic and the dead man was a bad guy. She didn't want the gun back, so she is not a further danger. No harm, no foul policing.
Old 12-06-22, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two episodes this week cuz they wanted to make sure to get in that AVATAR promotion before the film opens next week.

In all seriousness, if I was a young woman from LA and going to college in NYC, got abducted in NYC, and had to be saved by my cop daddy from LA, I would never live more than 30 minutes away from him for the rest of my life.

More LAPD propaganda. No way they don't immediately pin the guy's death on the jailhouse riot, rather than putting Officer Voodoo through the wringer, especially since they took the guy to the hospital the first time and he was released.

And WTF!? She's still crashing with Nolan and Bailey? Boundaries!
Old 12-06-22, 04:08 PM
Suspended

Two episodes this week cuz they wanted to make sure to get in that AVATAR promotion before the film opens next week.

In all seriousness, if I was a young woman from LA and going to college in NYC, got abducted in NYC, and had to be saved by my cop daddy from LA, I would never live more than 30 minutes away from him for the rest of my life.

More LAPD propaganda. No way they don't immediately pin the guy's death on the jailhouse riot, rather than putting Officer Voodoo through the wringer, especially since they took the guy to the hospital the first time and he was released.

And WTF!? She's still crashing with Nolan and Bailey? Boundaries!
I think it was mainly because when the Rookie comes back it'll be on Tuesday leading into the spinoff which has a crossover. They have no more Sunday slots for the rest of December so it had to air sometime. I think its obvious the Tuesday switch was sudden by ABC

That whole subplot in NY was stupid and pointless. I don't follow the fandom of this show, but I can't imagine anyones favorite character is Grey. Anywhere in the world.
Old 12-06-22, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would think Nolan letting his trainee live with him is a no-no. The NY story was dumb, especially because the daughter wasn't traumatized after being kidnapped. I really don't need Lucy and Tim to date, but the producers seem to think that's what the audience wants. I thought she and the guy she dumped made a better couple, but that's not how TV shows work, I guess.
Old 12-06-22, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would think Nolan letting his trainee live with him is a no-no. The NY story was dumb, especially because the daughter wasn't traumatized after being kidnapped. I really don't need Lucy and Tim to date, but the producers seem to think that's what the audience wants. I thought she and the guy she dumped made a better couple, but that's not how TV shows work, I guess.
It;s interesting that a show like The Rookie, which loves to push an agenda, won't push the agenda that a single woman in a male dominated profession can just have strictly professional relationships with all her male co-workers.
Old 12-07-22, 12:47 PM
Suspended

It;s interesting that a show like The Rookie, which loves to push an agenda, won't push the agenda that a single woman in a male dominated profession can just have strictly professional relationships with all her male co-workers.
You mean the rest of the female cast which does exactly what you proposed?

Aside from Nolan and her at the start of the show, I don't think any of the main cops have dated other cops on the show.
Old 12-07-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Shit, those two episodes were actually new? I assumed my DVR just picked up some reruns like it sometimes does if the guide doesn't list the original air date.
Old 12-07-22, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
That whole subplot in NY was stupid and pointless. I don't follow the fandom of this show, but I can't imagine anyones favorite character is Grey. Anywhere in the world.
I didn’t see a reason for the NY story either (the abduction could’ve happened anywhere), but I don’t know what that has to do with Grey being a favorite character.
Old 12-07-22, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

Aside from Nolan and her at the start of the show, I don't think any of the main cops have dated other cops on the show.
The relationships were all via their jobs. Nobody ever meets a random at a grocery store or bar.

Lucy & Chris, a lawyer from a case
Angela and Wesley, a lawyer from a case
Nyla & James, running a community center they ran across during a case
John & Bailey technically met when she came to his door in a towel, but they do run to each other in work situations all the time.

Old 12-07-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean the rest of the female cast which does exactly what you proposed?

You're right, but in all seriousness, I think of Chen as the female lead of the show, and her character's stature is pretty much equal to Nolan's in my eyes. I bet that the overall viewership is invested in Chen's romantic life much more than the romantic life of any other character, including Nolan. So I would like them to be a little more cautious about how she is portrayed, and the message that sends. It would be healthy to show that Chen could be a dedicated cop and still have a relationship with someone who is never gonna walk into the station on any sort of business.
Old 12-07-22, 03:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GuessWho
The relationships were all via their jobs. Nobody ever meets a random at a grocery store or bar.

Lucy & Chris, a lawyer from a case
Angela and Wesley, a lawyer from a case
Nyla & James, running a community center they ran across during a case
John & Bailey technically met when she came to his door in a towel, but they do run to each other in work situations all the time.
I mean...yeah...this is a TV SHOW. How else do they introduce new characters?

In reality, many people meet their parter from their job - either directly related or serving them food, ringing them up etc. This is not really far-fetched.

Old 12-07-22, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

nobody has a problem with Chen's gun (or maybe it was the guy coming out of the motel room) being dropped over the railing when they fought and then her running to find the baby and not the gun?
Old 12-07-22, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

So Branford’s sister was only in the second episode for the ADT commercial?

And then the hamfisted Avatar thing! Good lord.
Old 12-07-22, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Axeramm
nobody has a problem with Chen's gun (or maybe it was the guy coming out of the motel room) being dropped over the railing when they fought and then her running to find the baby and not the gun?
I thought it was Chen's gun went it went over the rail, but then she ignored it and had a gun when she entered the hotel room, so it must have been the guy's gun. They probably should have been concerned about where it went, but with the situation of officers being shot at, more cops are gonna swarm the area.

I was confused about how that guy unloaded a gun at Chen and Thurson at point blank range and didn't manage to hit either one.
Old 12-08-22, 01:38 PM
Suspended

I thought it was Chen's gun went it went over the rail, but then she ignored it and had a gun when she entered the hotel room, so it must have been the guy's gun. They probably should have been concerned about where it went, but with the situation of officers being shot at, more cops are gonna swarm the area.

I was confused about how that guy unloaded a gun at Chen and Thurson at point blank range and didn't manage to hit either one.
It was a poorly choreographed scenes. To way the dude missed 5-7 shots, drops his gun, and no one cares.
Old 01-05-23, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are the odds... Nyla & hubby just happened to be in a bank when it got robbed. Then Tim & Lucy just happened to be in a restaurant when one employee pulled a knife on another employee. Then they just happened to be at another eatery when they witnessed a dude trying to break into a car. All in this week's episode! That's some good policing (or just stupid writing).
Old 01-05-23, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts

What are the odds... Nyla & hubby just happened to be in a bank when it got robbed. Then Tim & Lucy just happened to be in a restaurant when one employee pulled a knife on another employee. Then they just happened to be at another eatery when they witnessed a dude trying to break into a car. All in this week's episode! That's some good policing (or just stupid writing).
I've been banished from commenting on this show while my wife is watching it. The writing on the show is so incredibly over the top horrible I'm amazed anyone can still stand this show. My wife likes it because she's been a Nathan Fillion fan forever. So I don't comment anymore but I just look over at her now and when I did that the other day when they walked into the bank she said "Shut up. I know there's going to be a bank robbery."
Old 01-05-23, 08:44 PM
Suspended

Somehow its always thew same half dozen cops/detectives/fire fighters/janitors/feds/lawyers all at the same scene!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.