TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-22, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/house-o...queen-alicent/

Episode 6 of House of the Dragon is about to take the series’ biggest time jump yet. “The Princess and the Queen” will be set 10 years after the deadly brawl at Rhaenyra’s wedding feast, Alicent’s dramatic entrance, and King Viserys’ (Paddy Considine) latest health scare. While the series has jumped forward before, it’s only been by a few years or so at a time, so actors Milly Alcock and Emily Carey have been able to portray the young Rhaenyra Targaryen and Alicent Hightower, respectively, without issue. But now that we’re halfway through the first season, and House of the Dragon is jumping forward an entire decade, it’s time to say goodbye to these young actors we’ve come to know so well.

Old 09-25-22, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Triflin'!!! Good episode and I already hate the queen. Olivia Cooke is always awesome, though. She should have gotten nominated for an Oscar for her role in The Limehouse Golem - one of my favorite films of that year.

I guess the gimp advisor to the queen may be a Littlefinger ancestor.
Old 09-25-22, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I knew it was coming but the time jump and the new casting really threw me. The actress playing Alicent I can buy, but the one playing Rhaenyra I have a hard time seeing as an adult version of the character. Laenor is also quite annoying.
Old 09-25-22, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-flash-forward
Old 09-25-22, 10:14 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Vhagar looked good and some of the close ups they added details to show her age.

Viserys is going to look like Melisandre when she took the necklace off by next episode.

Chuckled at Helaena with the foreshadowing

Spoiler:
"He'll have to close an eye."

Old 09-25-22, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Old 09-25-22, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MrX
Viserys is going to look like Melisandre when she took the necklace off by next episode.
Ha!
Old 09-25-22, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am unfamiliar with Emma D’Arcy and her work, but I thought she did a great job.
Old 09-26-22, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Just a head's up but I believe Emma prefers they/them pronouns, though I know it's going to be hard to keep straight.

I feel like they didn't make it clear that Laena was going to die either way. Like I was fully expecting her to be able to live if they killed the baby or something, so when she did what she did I was surprised (also surprised that she could basically escape all those people and make her way to her dragon, but oh well). It didn't feel like Daemon let her do what she did, so in a lot of respects he was much better than his brother about it.

I have no idea how that plot was supposed to make Viserys go back to Otto but I guess it happens. Just seems like a stretch considering it's been a decade and the reason he ousted Otto. But I guess it'll move the plot along.

The actor changes were a bit jarring, especially on the Rhaenyra side, but I do see the resemblance they were going for and I get that that first scene especially would have been a bit hard to take if Milly had done it.
The following users liked this post:
ViewAskewbian (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Well that was eventful. Remember how everyone said that Game of Thrones was in such a rush to finish? Well at least they were up against a clock. I found this episode pretty disconcerting with the decade jump. Felt like half the time I was just struggling to keep everyone straight and their motivations properly aligned. It’s an interesting Delma that they managed to navigate for the most part. But again I wonder : what’s the rush? Doesn’t HBO want this show to last years? Is the source material so thin that they had to Yada Yada over a decade in royal court? It’s hard to feel invested in these characters if they might die of old age whenever the show runners decide to do the next time jump.
Old 09-26-22, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

This was so confusing. It hasn't been bad before, but now they introduce a ton of new characters and I have no idea who anyone is or what's going on. Feel like I may have to drop this soon if things don't become easier to follow for a stupid person like myself.
Old 09-26-22, 06:05 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Is the source material so thin that they had to Yada Yada over a decade in royal court?
Pretty much. The part of the book they're basing the series off, if they end it after the Dance of the Dragons, is only a couple hundred pages long. The book is written like a history book so there's not a lot of detail to events.
Old 09-26-22, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

But again I wonder : what’s the rush? Doesn’t HBO want this show to last years? Is the source material so thin that they had to Yada Yada over a decade in royal court?
The story they're telling now isn't anywhere near the scope that A Game of Thones/A Song of Ice and Fire was. As MrX said, the book this is based on, Fire and Blood, isn't a novel, it's more of a text book or history book than a novel. As the title of the series, House of the Dragon, implies, it's more centered on the Targaryens (and, apparently the Velaryons) than Westeros at large.

They're doing all of these time jumps because there's just not a lot of stuff going on at the moment, and they've been putting all of the pieces into place for the coming Dance of the Dragons.

As for how long the series can last, I think they're looking at making this sort of an anthology that tells stories about the Targaryen House throughout history. There's other stuff they can cover like Aegon's Conquest and the Blackfyre Rebellion, and they've even hinted that they might even go back to Old Valyria.

The Dance of the Dragons could probably end in the second or, more likely, third season.
Old 09-26-22, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
This was so confusing. It hasn't been bad before, but now they introduce a ton of new characters and I have no idea who anyone is or what's going on. Feel like I may have to drop this soon if things don't become easier to follow for a stupid person like myself.
I had a harder time following this episode than the previous ones too. I think between the aged up characters and new characters introduced there was a lot going on.

Kind of like was talked about in the behind the scenes feature at the end- this was almost like a second pilot episode in some ways.
Old 09-26-22, 08:53 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Aging up a characters that had minor roles seems to causing a lot of confusion.

I've seen a lot of people miss the fact that Daemon's wife, Laena, was the 12 year old Corlys tried to marry off to Viserys earlier in the season.
Old 09-26-22, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Just a head's up but I believe Emma prefers they/them pronouns, though I know it's going to be hard to keep straight.
I don’t care about the pronouns.

Emma is a woman - playing a woman on a tv show.

She did a great job.

Old 09-26-22, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MrX
Aging up a characters that had minor roles seems to causing a lot of confusion.

I've seen a lot of people miss the fact that Daemon's wife, Laena, was the 12 year old Corlys tried to marry off to Viserys earlier in the season.
I don’t understand the confusion.

there are not dozens of families on the show running around with platinum blonde hair.
Old 09-26-22, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I had a harder time following this episode than the previous ones too. I think between the aged up characters and new characters introduced there was a lot going on.

Kind of like was talked about in the behind the scenes feature at the end- this was almost like a second pilot episode in some ways.
I could understand getting confused when they introduce like 7 new children, similar to how I got all the Starks/Snow confused when they introduced all of them together in the original. Laena, I don't get the confusion, given her name (being so similar to her brother's) and what they set up at the wedding. Harwin Strong taking a bigger role is also probably a little confusing seeing as how many like big bearded men there are. Beyond that, it's still pretty straightforward, just with Harwin in the spot that Cole once inhabited, and Cole switching sides out of spite.

They could have dragged this on but I don't see the point: in the original, the complaint was that they had a deadline and didn't adapt enough of the book or follow the storyline, in this they actually don't have enough book and are embellishing. The last thing I'd want is for them to just make even more stuff up whole cloth and struggle to get to the same spots (or tread water). It seems like the meat of this is going to be coming up, the clash between Rhaenyra and Alicent's sides, so getting to that point instead of seeing Rhaenyra sneak around with Harwin makes sense to me.

I'm interested in what Otto cooks up because while as of now one side has like every dragonrider but one and an entire fleet, the other side has like one kid dragon rider who is also the heir they are protecting plus... Mikey Day and Cristen Cole.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I knew who everyone was, but it was weird that we were supposed to appreciate that two of the main characters both had the person they cared about the most die by flame - - yet until this very episode we had no idea that either one was even in a relationship with the future briquettes.
Old 09-26-22, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I was ok following what was going on and who most of the characters were, but it took awhile to get used to the actor changes.
Old 09-26-22, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
I don’t care about the pronouns.

Emma is a woman - playing a woman on a tv show.

She did a great job.

Non-binary House of the Dragon star reflects on playing women (pinknews.co.uk)

But yes, yes they did a great job.
Old 09-26-22, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
They is plural.

Emma did great.
Old 09-26-22, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Miguel Sapochnik is leaving after this season? WTH.

https://www.avclub.com/house-of-the-...xit-1849580206
Old 09-26-22, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew who everyone was, but it was weird that we were supposed to appreciate that two of the main characters both had the person they cared about the most die by flame - - yet until this very episode we had no idea that either one was even in a relationship with the future briquettes.
I mean, technically this happened in the first episode too...
Old 09-26-22, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

What was going on with the guy cutting the dude's tongue out? I was completely lost at that point.

So are we expected to believe that princess just traded one knight for another?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.