Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Old 09-26-22, 11:46 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Hero
 
B.A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 34,747
Received 144 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by windom View Post
What was going on with the guy cutting the dude's tongue out? I was completely lost at that point.

So are we expected to believe that princess just traded one knight for another?
Larys freed the prisoners on death row to do his bidding. That was the price they had to pay.

Yes, she is the princess and heir to the throne. She can do whatever she wants.
Old 09-26-22, 11:47 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 40,060
Received 1,294 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by windom View Post
What was going on with the guy cutting the dude's tongue out? I was completely lost at that point.

So are we expected to believe that princess just traded one knight for another?
Ser Mikey Day basically got prisoners to become his servants, cutting their tongues out so they wouldn't rat him out (I guess). They're the ones that burned Harrenhall and killed his brother and father. You can see them with his sigil.

And yeah, Cristin Cole wasn't down with being a side piece so she found someone else. I think this is alluded to in the book as only a rumor or something but they play it pretty plainly here.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22, 11:49 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,139
Received 192 Likes on 141 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Ok, who is Larys and how does he fit into everything?
Old 09-26-22, 12:10 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 64,696
Received 3,761 Likes on 2,531 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Ok, who is Larys and how does he fit into everything?
He's the younger son of Lionel Strong, the Hand of the King, and younger brother of the guy Princess Raynera was sleeping with.
Second sons have no claim to land or title, so he was kind of an outcast before the BBQ.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
B.A. (09-26-22), Thos19 (09-27-22)
Old 09-26-22, 12:14 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35,753
Received 773 Likes on 595 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by windom View Post
What was going on with the guy cutting the dude's tongue out? I was completely lost at that point.

So are we expected to believe that princess just traded one knight for another?
Pretty much. He's still bitter and now guards the queen exclusively. The dudes getting their tongues out were spared death if they did a "favor" for the gimp advisor to the queen. The princess knew that they were all in danger and had to leave since they essentially put a hit out on her and her family. I mean, the three brown haired sons sort of gave it away that shit was going to go down.
Old 09-26-22, 12:23 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 40,060
Received 1,294 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Pretty much. He's still bitter and now guards the queen exclusively. The dudes getting their tongues out were spared death if they did a "favor" for the gimp advisor to the queen. The princess knew that they were all in danger and had to leave since they essentially put a hit out on her and her family. I mean, the three brown haired sons sort of gave it away that shit was going to go down.
Well, she fled "before the storm" so I don't think she knew of the death of Lyonel and Harwin before she left. The outing of Harwin, the queen not immediately taking her offer, and the rumors gaining traction led her to flee before her father died and they put her in chains or exiled her or whatever. So we haven't seen her react to the death of her lover or the death of her sister in law yet, I presume that's all going to hit the fan at the start of the next episode.

And everyone is basically still waiting for poor Viserys to croak because we all know that's going to set everything off, and the dude just hangs in there.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22, 01:45 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 40,060
Received 1,294 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

One additional thing I can appreciate: changing the race/color of the Velaryons makes it even more obvious, beyond just hair color, what Rhaenyra's kids are... I mean look at Daemon's kids and then look at Rhaenyra's. Also if you look at the casting changes for Laenor, Laena, Rhaenyra and Alicent, they did a fantastic job... so I wonder why they didn't just cast a younger version for Matt Smith because it just seems like he's a vampire or something.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22, 02:11 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,390
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Other than being a "second son", I wish there was more backstory on why Larys hates his fam so much to kill them off. Basically he was just a big gossip stirring shit up one week, to killing his fam the next.

I understood why the Lannister kids, especially Tyrion hated Tywin that he would kill his own dad. Lyonel seemed pretty decent and wasn't an asshole like Tywin, so Larys killing him didn't seem earned, felt like a shoehorned villain so the audience has someone to root against.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22, 02:49 PM
  #34  
Moderator
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,964
Received 366 Likes on 226 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
I donít care about the pronouns.

Emma is a woman - playing a woman on a tv show.

She did a great job.
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
They is plural.

Emma did great.
B.A. this is a warning. There were several reports on these posts. Please keep politics like this out of the thread. If you do not like using pronouns, I would recommend using the name of the individual like you did in the last part of the second post referenced.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22, 03:28 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Hero
 
B.A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 34,747
Received 144 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by goldberg74 View Post
B.A. this is a warning. There were several reports on these posts. Please keep politics like this out of the thread. If you do not like using pronouns, i would recommend using the name of the individual like you did in the last part of the second post referenced.
10-4.
Old 09-26-22, 03:40 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 7,900
Received 385 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

I found this episode a bit jarring. It almost seemed like Rhaenyra and Alicent switched personalities after the time jump, but I'm interested to see where all this goes.

I thought it was weird that Laenor and Rhaenyra didn't at least try to do their duty and produce an heir. I know there are a lot of extenuating circumstances going on, but at least try to make a heir. Instead she's just carrying on with having an affair with multiple children from that affair (that don't have silver hair...). I haven't gotten to this story in the book yet so there may be more to it. I'm shocked that Viserys made it ten years after the wedding. I think the rest of this season will be good, but the time jump was a big change of pace.
Old 09-26-22, 03:44 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 64,696
Received 3,761 Likes on 2,531 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post

I'm shocked that Viserys made it ten years after the wedding.
Well, most of him did at least.
Old 09-26-22, 03:50 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hero
 
B.A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 34,747
Received 144 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post

I thought it was weird that Laenor and Rhaenyra didn't at least try to do their duty and produce an heir. I know there are a lot of extenuating circumstances going on, but at least try to make a heir.
agreed.
Old 09-26-22, 04:02 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 7,900
Received 385 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Also, I know there were a lot more women dying in childbirth in medieval times, but are Targaryen births more difficult due to all the inbreeding or supposed magic in their blood? Rhaenyra's mother, Laena, Jon Snow's mother (Lyanna Stark), and Daenerys's mother all died during child birth.
Old 09-26-22, 04:05 PM
  #40  
MrX
DVD Talk Hero
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,314
Likes: 0
Received 124 Likes on 92 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I found this episode a bit jarring. It almost seemed like Rhaenyra and Alicent switched personalities after the time jump, but I'm interested to see where all this goes.
Alicent now is much more like she was in the book. In the book she was the one who suggested marrying Aegon to Rhaenyra, but they dumped a lot of her actions onto Otto to make him a villain and made her seem like an innocent bystander to everything.
Old 09-26-22, 08:29 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 40,060
Received 1,294 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
Also, I know there were a lot more women dying in childbirth in medieval times, but are Targaryen births more difficult due to all the inbreeding or supposed magic in their blood? Rhaenyra's mother, Laena, Jon Snow's mother (Lyanna Stark), and Daenerys's mother all died during child birth.
Also, if it's that dangerous why the heck would you have three (or more) kids? Daemon didn't seem like he cared he only had daughters (as long as they could ride dragons or something) and Rhaenyra already had two boys, if there's any risk at all of dying I'd be really cautious about it.
Old 09-26-22, 08:37 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 39,744
Received 1,600 Likes on 1,147 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
Also, I know there were a lot more women dying in childbirth in medieval times, but are Targaryen births more difficult due to all the inbreeding or supposed magic in their blood? Rhaenyra's mother, Laena, Jon Snow's mother (Lyanna Stark), and Daenerys's mother all died during child birth.
A lot of women died in childbirth in Game of Thrones... Tyrion's mother died giving birth to him, Lyanna Stark died giving birth to Jon Snow, and Dani's mother died giving birth to her. I think Kat's mother died in childbirth, too.

You'll notice that in this world there are lots of old men, and not nearly as many old women.

Old 09-26-22, 08:50 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 7,900
Received 385 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
A lot of women died in childbirth in Game of Thrones... Tyrion's mother died giving birth to him, Lyanna Stark died giving birth to Jon Snow, and Dani's mother died giving birth to her. I think Kat's mother died in childbirth, too.
I forgot about Tyrion's mother. Catelyn's Mom did die during childbirth. This is from the wiki of ice and fire: Minisa Tully died in childbirth with her fourth son, who also died shortly after.
Old 09-26-22, 09:33 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 64,696
Received 3,761 Likes on 2,531 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Also, if it's that dangerous why the heck would you have three (or more) kids? Daemon didn't seem like he cared he only had daughters (as long as they could ride dragons or something) and Rhaenyra already had two boys, if there's any risk at all of dying I'd be really cautious about it.
Maybe because Rhaenera likes to fuck? It's not like she had a royal diaphragm that she could insert and remove at will.
The Maesters had a finite amount of Morning After tea and I assume that the Princess had long since exhausted their supply.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
BDB (09-27-22), Why So Blu? (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22, 09:50 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
JTH182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,601
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

I have to wonder if maybe the showrunners didn't know just how good the two younger actresses would be in their roles and how much fans wouldn't like the switch. They probably just viewed the first 5 episodes as prologue, and as fujishig said, the "meat" of the plot would be handled by two older people.

Personally, I would have just aged up the two original actresses, at least for the whole of this season.

I still enjoy the show, and see no reason to give it up because of this though.
Old 09-26-22, 09:57 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,577
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

I think the 10 yr jump was a little too small, might as well have made it 15 - you could cast older actors for the kids, etc. But for the most part I bought the transition... still a risky move though. Hoping the 2nd half is as strong as the first!
Old 09-26-22, 10:15 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,577
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
B.A. this is a warning. There were several reports on these posts. Please keep politics like this out of the thread. If you do not like using pronouns, I would recommend using the name of the individual like you did in the last part of the second post referenced.
Just to be clear, was it the antagonistic slant to the post? I'm assuming there's some leeway for mistakes - after all this is the first time most people are being introduced to this person.
Old 09-27-22, 02:30 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Earth ....
Posts: 5,010
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by outcastja View Post
Other than being a "second son", I wish there was more backstory on why Larys hates his fam so much to kill them off. Basically he was just a big gossip stirring shit up one week, to killing his fam the next.

I understood why the Lannister kids, especially Tyrion hated Tywin that he would kill his own dad. Lyonel seemed pretty decent and wasn't an asshole like Tywin, so Larys killing him didn't seem earned, felt like a shoehorned villain so the audience has someone to root against.
i think the first time Larys met Alicent privately in the gardens to tell her about the tea, he was trying to sow distrust between Alicent and Rhaenyra. He killed his own father when the king refused to accept the hand ‘s resignation and Alicent lamented that no one took her side since her father left. Now it looks like Alicent got her wish and her father is coming back. I have not read the books but the first time they met, Larys mentioned the flowers in the garden are foreign from Braavos. Could Larys be a faceless assassin sent by someone who wants a certain outcome to the succession or just Alicent’s own Littlefinger? I am really enjoying this show.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Also, if it's that dangerous why the heck would you have three (or more) kids? Daemon didn't seem like he cared he only had daughters (as long as they could ride dragons or something) and Rhaenyra already had two boys, if there's any risk at all of dying I'd be really cautious about it.
because a lot of these marriages were political in nature (so there might be no love lost between the couple) and women were seem as little more than chattel. Basically … what Lord Frey said at the end of the red wedding when Caitlyn threatened to kill his wife.

Last edited by chowderhead; 09-27-22 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-27-22, 06:50 AM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hero
 
B.A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 34,747
Received 144 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I have to wonder if maybe the showrunners didn't know just how good the two younger actresses would be in their roles and how much fans wouldn't like the switch. They probably just viewed the first 5 episodes as prologue, and as fujishig said, the "meat" of the plot would be handled by two older people.

Personally, I would have just aged up the two original actresses, at least for the whole of this season.

I still enjoy the show, and see no reason to give it up because of this though.
maybe they could have separated the two halves of the season by more than a week?
Old 09-27-22, 09:46 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 39,744
Received 1,600 Likes on 1,147 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E06) -- "The Princess and the Queen" -- 9/25/22

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I think the 10 yr jump was a little too small, might as well have made it 15 - you could cast older actors for the kids, etc. But for the most part I bought the transition... still a risky move though. Hoping the 2nd half is as strong as the first!
There are still some pieces that need to be put into play before the meat of the story kicks in. Another wedding, another death, more children being born. It should be fairly obvious where this is all leading, but we're not quite there yet.

With only four episodes left, I'm thinking that three of the remaining four episodes this season will feature a time jump.

I think that there will probably a jump of a few years between six and seven, a few more between seven and eight, a few more between eight and nine. And then nine will be the big WHAM episode where the shit hits the fan, and going into episode ten and season two, the story will be more serialized.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.