Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (S1E06) - "Just Jen" - 9/22/22

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-22, 11:05 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Re: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (S1E06) - "Just Jen" - 9/22/22

Alright you two, this is a general warning ⚠️.

EricF, keep the name calling and politics out of this thread.

CountDooku, I appreciate your comments, but there’s no need to fan the flame.
Old 09-23-22, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Trifecta for David Pasquesi, though. MCU, SWU, and SwCU
I knew I recognized him but forgot to look him up, now I see he was in Book of Boba Fett.
But What's SwCU?
Old 09-23-22, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
If you think that you have been offensively been labeled as an incel, then it is only because you consider yourself an incel to begin with. Sorry.
Unfortunately we are currently living in a hyper-polarized climate where it frequently feels like "you are either with me or against me."

If something is seen as "progressive" or "woke" or whatever buzzwords are popular at the moment, then it must be loved uncritically, or you are a racist, misogynist, and/or homophobe.

A lot of my sympathies lie with the "progressive" side, but I'm not the type of person who is going to adore and gush over a terrible story with a positive message.

I haven't watched any She-Hulk: Attorney at Law yet, so I can't say much about this particular series other than that I absolutely adore Tatiana Maslany after discovering her in Orphan Black. I am fully expecting to be mostly ambivalent about She-Hulk, as I find that I give the MCU (both films and tv series) an aggregate grade of around C-, which is down from a C+/C from Phase III.
Old 09-23-22, 08:51 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
The Mr. Immortal stuff was great.
The negotiation re: how many seconds of eye contact he would need while apologizing to the one former wife had me rolling. And then his own team added a few seconds without being asked when he was a dick about it.

Last edited by Bandoman; 09-23-22 at 08:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (09-23-22)
Old 09-23-22, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I'm just wondering why all these supers are coming out of the wood work now?
I mean, if we're going by this show, Mr. Immortal is an Earth super that dates back centuries.
Old 09-23-22, 08:58 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I'm just wondering why all these supers are coming out of the wood work now?
I mean, if we're going by this show, Mr. Immortal is an Earth super that dates back centuries.
He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would be interested in saving anyone (except himself) from anything, so it's no surprise no one knew who he was.
Old 09-23-22, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would be interested in saving anyone (except himself) from anything, so it's no surprise no one knew who he was.
Ok, I get that and that's easily explained but what about Tatiana. She seems she'd be using her powers to mess things up when the Avengers were still around. Unless she only got them during the blip? :P
Old 09-23-22, 09:27 AM
Enormous Genitals

I don't know, I don't work for Marvel! Leave me alone!

majorjoe23 (09-23-22)
Old 09-23-22, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Ok, I get that and that's easily explained but what about Tatiana. She seems she'd be using her powers to mess things up when the Avengers were still around. Unless she only got them during the blip? :P
Just to avoid someone else getting confused by your post like I did in my head: Tatiana is the name of the actress playing She-Hulk, but Titania is the name of the character to which you're referring.
ViewAskewbian (09-23-22)
Old 09-23-22, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
Just to avoid someone else getting confused by your post like I did in my head: Tatiana is the name of the actress playing She-Hulk, but Titania is the name of the character to which you're referring.
Ooops, my bad. Thanks for correcting.
kefrank (09-23-22)
Old 09-23-22, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean, if there was a show you COULD work for it's this one because of the legal side AND I've always assumed you are immortal. Step up to the plate and swing for the fences.
Bandoman (09-23-22)
Old 09-23-22, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Unfortunately we are currently living in a hyper-polarized climate where it frequently feels like "you are either with me or against me."

If something is seen as "progressive" or "woke" or whatever buzzwords are popular at the moment, then it must be loved uncritically, or you are a racist, misogynist, and/or homophobe.

A lot of my sympathies lie with the "progressive" side, but I'm not the type of person who is going to adore and gush over a terrible story with a positive message.

I haven't watched any She-Hulk: Attorney at Law yet, so I can't say much about this particular series other than that I absolutely adore Tatiana Maslany after discovering her in Orphan Black. I am fully expecting to be mostly ambivalent about She-Hulk, as I find that I give the MCU (both films and tv series) an aggregate grade of around C-, which is down from a C+/C from Phase III.
The problem I see is criticism of something like She-Hulk or the female-led Ghostbusters that a male-led show/move gets as a pass for the same kinds of issues. Then it becomes clear that something else is at play.

For example, no one seemed to care that the first four MCU movies had male stars - Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the Hulk. We didn't even get a female Avenger until Iron Man 2. But for the MCU series shows, they are adding more female leads but it's still predominately male - Falcon, Winter Solder, Vision, Loki, Hawkeye and Moon Knight vs. Ms. Marvel, Wanda and She-Hulk. And yet NOW we're getting the whole "MSheU" backlash. It's obvious just a lot of boys who don't want icky girls to play in their sandbox.

Last edited by Draven; 09-23-22 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-23-22, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
I knew I recognized him but forgot to look him up, now I see he was in Book of Boba Fett.
But What's SwCU?
I assume Strangers with Candy. He's also been in Veep and Lodge 49, two fantastic shows, but I'll always associate him with TJ & Dave, the long-running two-man improv show he does with TJ Jagadowski.

As for She-Hulk, I'm really enjoying the show. It's light-hearted and goofy, but that's been the tone of She-Hulk's solo comics since the late 80s.
Draven (09-23-22)
Old 09-23-22, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Was nice to see Patti Harrison from I Think You Should Leave.
Old 09-23-22, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by joltman
That's right... he was the majordomo. That's where I had seen him before.
Old 09-23-22, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
That's right... he was the majordomo. That's where I had seen him before.
Yeah, I didn't place him either but he was very familiar. When I looked him up, it dawned on me who he was.
Old 09-23-22, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Oh happy day, you’re in luck. There are three episodes left: 6, 8, and 9.

“Just Jen” is actually episode 7 in the production order and was slated for 9/29. Why they skipped episode 6, I’m not sure.
Didn't they something early on about how her origin story was supposed to be shown in an episode midway through the season but they reworked it into the first episode instead? Maybe episode six was supposed to be the origin episode. essentially making episode #7 become episode #6 in the order.
Old 09-23-22, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I like this show the best out of all the Disney Plus MCU series so far. The other series try to be too epic in scope and the plots didn't always make sense unless you tried to cross reference it with everything else that came before it. She-Hulk is more self contained and episodic. you can really watch these in any order and not be lost. It's a lot more enjoyable to me that way.
Old 09-23-22, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

But you’re a lawyer. And a She-Hulk.
Old 09-23-22, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru
Didn't they something early on about how her origin story was supposed to be shown in an episode midway through the season but they reworked it into the first episode instead? Maybe episode six was supposed to be the origin episode. essentially making episode #7 become episode #6 in the order.
I went back and checked and it looks like epguides.com updated the episode list and put the title "Just Jen" as the title for episode 6. I guess they made a mistake.
Old 09-24-22, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I would say something right here but I'd probably get banned.
Guess he called it.
Old 09-24-22, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

This has been by far my favorite Marvel show on Disney +. I hope we get another season, but I get the feeling that this is a one-off.
Old 09-25-22, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This has been by far my favorite Marvel show on Disney +. I hope we get another season, but I get the feeling that this is a one-off.
I don't get that feeling at all. This is by far the most episodic MCU series, the only one without an overriding narrative. It feels the most like a traditional TV show, built to run for years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
B.A. (09-26-22), majorjoe23 (09-25-22)
Old 09-25-22, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

For me, the problem isn't the "woke" message (I just threw up in my mouth a little even typing that idiotic term) but the hamfisted writing. I guess I just feel they could have handled the misogyny more realistically than a 70's sitcom. That would make the point much more effective, but it is a comedy.

For me the worst part of the show has been Titania. Just an awful character. Maybe it's because I'm in my 50's and not part of "influencer" culture, but the character is not only annoying but nonsensical. Again, not the target audience, but still find some humor in the show. It's vaguely reminiscent of Harvey Birdman.
Old 09-25-22, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

You are right, Titania is so cartoonist as to drag the show down a bit. I did like the trademark infringement stuff last week, but in this episode it was just silly - - as was the bride excited to have She Hulk at her wedding, which flew totally in the face of how that character acted earlier in the episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.