Old 09-18-22, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,517 Posts
House of the Dragon (S1E05) -- "We Light The Way" -- 9/18/22

Old 09-18-22, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 571 Posts
Re: House of the Dragon (S1E05) -- "We Light The Way" -- 9/18/22

Good episode. Glad the Knight, I forget his name, didn't go out like a chump. The other fool fucked around and found out. That was a badass scene!

It's an ongoing theme here -- these fucking weddings are always fucked up.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (09-20-22)
Old 09-18-22, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 338 Likes on 264 Posts

I kept waiting for something to happen and then it did.

I'm interested to see the new actors playing the older versions of characters after the time time jump next week, but I'll miss Milly Alcock. She's a talented young actress and should get a ton of work after playing Rhaenyra.

I'm surprised Viserys is still alive next week. He's in terrible shape during this episode.
Old 09-18-22, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I kept waiting for something to happen and then it did.

I'm interested to see the new actors playing the older versions of characters after the time time jump next week, but I'll miss Milly Alcock. She's a talented young actress and should get a ton of work after playing Rhaenyra.

I'm surprised Viserys is still alive next week. He's in terrible shape during this episode.
I believe next week's episode is his last.
B.A. (09-19-22)
Old 09-18-22, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea not excited at all at Mily Alcock being replaced...not even joking may even stop watching the show entirely.
Old 09-19-22, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts

Very strange dance. Oh, and that blood-drinking rat at the end.
Old 09-19-22, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,079 Posts

I wonder how many seasons they have planned for this. There is a definite endpoint everything is leading to...

Kind of wondering if House of the Dragon is only meant to cover the Dance of the Dragons, or if they're going jump ahead even further and cover the entire history of House Targaryen with stuff like the Blackfyre Rebellions, War of the Ninepenny Kings, and maybe even Robert's Rebellion. It's called House of the Dragon, not Dance of the Dragons.
Old 09-19-22, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Viserys looked like he was begging for an oxygen tank. He didn’t look well. I’m surprised he’s going to be around for the time jump.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode. Some good tension and build up. Daemon causing his wife’s accident and then bludgeoning her to death was definitely something he was capable of doing.

Ser Criston Cole snapping and bludgeoning Laenor’s lover was pretty grotesque.

and then they continue with the shotgun wedding.
Old 09-19-22, 06:08 AM

Received 3,058 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I wonder how many seasons they have planned for this. There is a definite endpoint everything is leading to...

Kind of wondering if House of the Dragon is only meant to cover the Dance of the Dragons, or if they're going jump ahead even further and cover the entire history of House Targaryen with stuff like the Blackfyre Rebellions, War of the Ninepenny Kings, and maybe even Robert's Rebellion. It's called House of the Dragon, not Dance of the Dragons.
The Dragon showrunners know their ending and have a plan for the production to run a certain number of seasons.

Asked if HBO is on board with their plan, Condal replies, “They are — today,” then wryly adds: “Endings are the easiest thing to do in television.”

Sources say the show’s civil war arc might be shorter than you might expect. While nothing is carved in stone, the current Targaryen storyline is currently plotted to run only about three or four seasons. But even that might not mark the end of the show. Dragon could, in theory, then leap decades forward in time, or backward, to chronicle other major events in the Targaryen dynasty with an entirely new cast — such as exploring Aegon’s conquest or the Doom of Valyria.

“The Targaryens span both directions,” Sapochnik says. “So as a spine to other possible stories and spinoffs … this is a great place to start.”
Josh-da-man (09-19-22)
Old 09-19-22, 08:03 AM
Admin

Received 406 Likes on 260 Posts

I was kind of confused with the dance-fight scene?

Ser Criston Cole jumped the prince's lover because he tried to flex on him about his relationship with Rhaenyra? Seemed like he overreacted a bit.

And the queen stopping Ser Criston Cole from committing suicide. What is the end goal there? Thank you for informing an idiot.
Old 09-19-22, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I guess the white/platinum hair didn't bother me as much during the original series because it was just Dany for 99% of the show's run, but it annoys me while I watch this series.

There is just too much of it.

It looks awful.
Old 09-19-22, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I was kind of confused with the dance-fight scene?

Ser Criston Cole jumped the prince's lover because he tried to flex on him about his relationship with Rhaenyra? Seemed like he overreacted a bit.

And the queen stopping Ser Criston Cole from committing suicide. What is the end goal there? Thank you for informing an idiot.
Any reason why you type your thoughts in this light font? This is an episode thread, there's no need to do any spoilerizing.
Old 09-19-22, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 957 Posts

So I mean there are witnesses to Cole doing that, right? He just walked out of there and nobody stopped him? If there aren't repercussions for him next episode then I don't know what to say... it's not like he bludgeoned him in secret. Also a bit ridiculous that the Kings Guard did not immediately get control of the situation with the heir and her consort in the middle of the fray.

Alicent is obviously saving him to use as one of her pieces... what better than the jilted lover whose secret she knows, and who's guilt ridden over breaking his oath? Her side still lacks dragons though, but we've only seen a handful so far.

I figured the rat was drinking spilt wine but I guess it could be blood.

That crippled dude is going to remind me of Mikey Day all season long.
Old 09-19-22, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Milly Alcock deserves to be in more than 5 episodes of this show.
The following 2 users liked this post by JTH182:
lwhy? (09-19-22), VinVega (09-19-22)
Old 09-19-22, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Milly Alcock deserves to be in more than 5 episodes of this show.
I have to admit, that preview with grown up Alicent and grown up Rhaenyra was a bit jarring. I wonder how long it'll take to get used to them.

Also, so far Milly has been so much more likeable than Emily Carey so I wonder who's side I'll lean towards after the time skip.

Last edited by fujishig; 09-19-22 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-19-22, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m over the Targaryens already
Old 09-19-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
So I mean there are witnesses to Cole doing that, right? He just walked out of there and nobody stopped him? If there aren't repercussions for him next episode then I don't know what to say... it's not like he bludgeoned him in secret. Also a bit ridiculous that the Kings Guard did not immediately get control of the situation with the heir and her consort in the middle of the fray.

Alicent is obviously saving him to use as one of her pieces... what better than the jilted lover whose secret she knows, and who's guilt ridden over breaking his oath? Her side still lacks dragons though, but we've only seen a handful so far.

I figured the rat was drinking spilt wine but I guess it could be blood.

send Ser Christon north to the wall!

Holy shit. Great call with the Mikey Day comparison.
Old 09-19-22, 03:42 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

There’s a lot to flesh out between now and how it ends that gets glossed over in the book because of how it’s written. The writers have shown they’re not married to what Martin wrote since they’ve changed how Cole goes over to Alicent’s side from how it happens in the book.

From the preview looking forward to seeing
Spoiler:
Vhagar

Last edited by MrX; 09-19-22 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-19-22, 03:48 PM
Admin

Received 406 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Any reason why you type your thoughts in this light font? This is an episode thread, there's no need to do any spoilerizing.
I have dark mode on and all text looks white to me. I can't see grey, so sometimes I copy and paste from other sources to make sure the spelling is correct and then I never see that it is grey. It's really annoying I know, but I'd lose my eyes if I had to stare at the forum with a white background.

I fixed my original post.

This is what I see:

The following 2 users liked this post by VinVega:
B.A. (09-19-22), DJariya (09-19-22)
Old 09-19-22, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

I have to admit, that preview with grown up Alicent and grown up Rhaenyra was a bit jarring. I wonder how long it'll take to get used to them.
They mentioned a ten yr jump in the preview? Honestly I thought it'd be closer to 15. I'm sure it was a subject of debate amongst the producers, but given that we've already been through 3.5 yrs...it feels like they could've subtly aged them up anther ten and everyone would be perfectly fine with it - might've been a big miscalculation. But I'm sure the new actors are great (they got the job!) I only know Olivia from Bates Motel, lol.
Old 09-19-22, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 184 Likes on 135 Posts

You guys got a preview? I watched it On Demand and didn't get a preview, only the behind the episode stuff at the end.
Old 09-19-22, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

windom (09-19-22)
Old 09-19-22, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 372 Likes on 291 Posts

Sir Criston is wound a little tightly eh?

I assume the Queen commanded him to not kill himself and he’s going to spy for her or something?
VinVega (09-20-22)
Old 09-20-22, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 878 Likes on 638 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I'll miss Milly Alcock as well.
VinVega (09-20-22)
Old 09-20-22, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Sir Criston is wound a little tightly eh?

I assume the Queen commanded him to not kill himself and he’s going to spy for her or something?
The guy is like old fashioned and chivalrous who clawed his way up from a noble family, so Rhaenyra basically saying "yeah, I get that you lost your honor, but hey we can still fool around on the side" and rejecting his idea just broke him. He believes in honor, he sacrificed it all for some nooky and then found out that she doesn't care about honor or anything like that. And I doubt he'd be an effective spy... even if this somehow all blew over (he had a knife so I was protecting the princess or whatever) there's no way he can stay on that side considering who he just murdered. If anything he's a useful blade and a tool against Rhaenyra.

I did like Otto's speech to Alicent before he left. He may be a manipulative bastard who set all this up, but it is absolutely true that even if she is unwilling, her kids are going to be used by Rhaenyra's opponents as political pawns and would be killed just to settle the issue of inheriting the throne. So either sit there and wait to be killed or take the initiative. I don't think we really needed Mikey Day elaborating on what the green dress meant but I get that it could've been confusing.

Also love that Daemon was the only one who didn't rise when the queen came in.
VinVega (09-20-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.