Reload this Page >

The Rings of Power (S1E03) -- "Adar" -- 9/8/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-09-22, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Arondir finds himself a captive; Galadriel and Halbrand explore a legendary kingdom; Elendil is given a new assignment; Nori faces the consequences.

Old 09-09-22, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 774 Likes on 596 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E03) -- "Adar" -- 9/8/22

Just finished watching the 3rd episode. There were some brutal hints of violence for good measure throughout, as well.

I initially thought that Halbrand was being set up as Sauron - his body language/kinesthetic game was strong. The scene where
Spoiler:
he gives a smirk to the men at the blacksmith felt like foreshadowing, that is, until it ended. I'll go with the Witch King instead theory for now, since there was some dialogue that hinted his bloodline was fucked.

The
Spoiler:
Warg was creepy looking - it was malformed and had the head and face of a chihuahua.

Old 09-09-22, 06:08 PM

Received 366 Likes on 226 Posts

Good episode. Moved at a very brisk pace.

The island kingdom is beautiful.

The four-on-one fight was coolÖ and brutal.

My heart broke at the end when Arondir
Spoiler:
saw his rebellion crumbleÖ and we almost saw who Adar was.

Old 09-09-22, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I think the Elves/Numanor/Southlands storyline would've been more than enough for this first season.(maybe the first two) The Harfoots are easily the weakest and most disposable storyline, should've been kept for later seasons.

Numanor exterior shots look great, interiors...look like sets I'm afraid. (this is why using a more desaturated look would've helped) The costumes aren't very good either, with the queen's unfortunately the worst.

The ship sequences - looks too clean and fake. Maybe we can just shoot on actual ships for once?!

Last edited by Artman; 09-10-22 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-09-22, 10:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 606 Likes on 520 Posts

This show is just not doing it for me. Absolutely none of the magic from the movies have transferred. Of course, it’s tv and none of same creators involved especially Jackson, but the stories are hard to follow and characters are just uninteresting. It’s nice to see Galadriel before she became Blanchett, but I just find it all boring. Which is why I was yearning to relive the extended original trilogy again and did so in a weeks time. That is some of the finest movie making and storytelling ever. This is just flat all the way around.
Old 09-09-22, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,044 Likes on 789 Posts

Itís not bad but itís not compelling or gripping. Itís a fun adventure through the days of old but it seems to have an odd focus. Like, we could have done a whole season of Commander Galadriel against orc armies.

Also, we keep getting a weird white flash on the screen. Weíre using a 4K Firestick through our Yamaha receiver. It doesnít do it when we watch on our PC through the browser. Does anyone else get this?
Old 09-09-22, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 374 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post

Also, we keep getting a weird white flash on the screen. Weíre using a 4K Firestick through our Yamaha receiver. It doesnít do it when we watch on our PC through the browser. Does anyone else get this?
FYI: The show is in 24fps, and all Amazon Fire based products donít output integer framerates- so with framerate matching on it will output 23.976 and there will be a stutter every 40secs or so. That would annoy me to no end.

That said, the visuals of this show are amazing. With the budget it should be.

As far as it being LotR, I donít know. Theyíve changed so much itís hard to know what to make of it. I read somewhere that Amazon fired their Tolkien/LotR historian, and it shows. The Numenorians are supposed to be 8 feet tall and live hundreds of years. Ok, well, theyíre not doing that, Iíll give that one a pass. They should at least all know who Galadriel is. The Harfoot stuff is mostly a waste of time. Why are we seeing Isuldur now?

Thereís so much stuff I could point out I wonít even bother.
Old 09-10-22, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
This show is just not doing it for me. Absolutely none of the magic from the moHAvies have transferred. Of course, itís tv and none of same creators involved especially Jackson, but the stories are hard to follow and characters are just uninteresting. Itís nice to see Galadriel before she became Blanchett, but I just find it all boring. Which is why I was yearning to relive the extended original trilogy again and did so in a weeks time. That is some of the finest movie making and storytelling ever. This is just flat all the way around.
It's not very good. I mean, it's not awful, but when I compare it to other genre streaming shows, it's definitely middle of the pack. I have about as much enthusiasm for this as I do for Paramount +'s HALO show - it's watchable, but just barely.
Old 09-10-22, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,044 Likes on 789 Posts

is there a way to turn off the frame matching?

Edit: found it in the main settings, turned off frame matching.

Last edited by milo bloom; 09-10-22 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-10-22, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
is there a way to turn off the frame matching?

Edit: found it in the main settings, turned off frame matching.
Hopefully that resolved at least some of your problem. Not as good as native output, but at least you wonít have to deal with stutter. Most TVs these days are good with dealing with film content output at 59.94/60.

There are only a couple of streamers with authorized apps I know of that output true 24fps, thatís either the Shield TV devices or Apple TV. All the rest of them have one problem or another or are just locked at 59.94. I use my Shield to stream a lot, just for this reason.

Old 09-11-22, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,608 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
The Numenorians are supposed to be 8 feet tall and live hundreds of years. Ok, well, they’re not doing that, I’ll give that one a pass.
I think that the only Numenorian who was that tall was Elendil, who was eight feet tall. He was an outlier, though. From what I recall, the Numerorians were tall -- mostly around 6' 6" or so -- but not preternaturally tall. About the same height as Elves... I think the typical female Elf was six feet tall, and the typical male Elf was around six and a half feet tall.

It was mentioned in one of the LOTR films that Aragorn was ninety years old.

But, yeah, having Elendil be eight feet tall, like big beards of Dwarf women, look weird. Like uncanny valley She-Hulk territory.
Old 09-11-22, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I think that the only Numenorian who was that tall was Elendil, who was eight feet tall. He was an outlier, though. From what I recall, the Numerorians were tall -- mostly around 6' 6" or so -- but not preternaturally tall. About the same height as Elves... I think the typical female Elf was six feet tall, and the typical male Elf was around six and a half feet tall.

It was mentioned in one of the LOTR films that Aragorn was ninety years old.

But, yeah, having Elendil be eight feet tall, like big beards of Dwarf women, look weird. Like uncanny valley She-Hulk territory.
The Numenorians should all (at least those in power) know who Galadriel is, she’s one of the oldest and most famous of all the Elves, probably on half their architecture (they showed her as a puppet in one of their children plays). You would think they would have either been terrified of her, in awe of her, or both.
Old 09-11-22, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It didn't look weird having the humans be so much taller than the Hobbits in the movies. And I don't know why beards on women would be uncanny valley. Some women do have beards or grow facial hair in real life.
Old 09-11-22, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I havenít read any of the books so I donít have anything to compare. That said, Iíve felt each episode has gotten better. I think this one did well to skip the Elf/Dwarf plot for the week.

I thought the blonde in the puppet show was her, but thought it some social commentary on now. I didnít pick up they were talking about history. Likewise, I know they mentioned elves live for a long time, but I must have missed the passage of time and accomplishments in the pilot.
Old 09-11-22, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I havenít read any of the books so I donít have anything to compare. That said, Iíve felt each episode has gotten better. I think this one did well to skip the Elf/Dwarf plot for the week.

I thought the blonde in the puppet show was her, but thought it some social commentary on now. I didnít pick up they were talking about history. Likewise, I know they mentioned elves live for a long time, but I must have missed the passage of time and accomplishments in the pilot.
They skipped forward quite a lot, but when they showed Galadriel as a child we are talking thousands of years before episode 3. So she gets around. Sheís probably been to Numenor many times, but none of the current residents would have been around to see her. But that said, theyíre all long lived humans, living in the most advanced human society in Middle Earth. They surely would have heard of her and probably recognize her on sight.
Old 09-11-22, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 897 Likes on 570 Posts

My favorite character in the LOTR movies is Legolas so Iím enjoying how much of the elves we are getting. The attempted prison escape was pretty awesome - itís great to see what they can really do.
Old 09-11-22, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
They skipped forward quite a lot, but when they showed Galadriel as a child we are talking thousands of years before episode 3. So she gets around. Sheís probably been to Numenor many times, but none of the current residents would have been around to see her. But that said, theyíre all long lived humans, living in the most advanced human society in Middle Earth. They surely would have heard of her and probably recognize her on sight.
I got the impression that the Queen knew exactly who she is and why she is there based on her dialogue at the end. Wife and I have not read a single LOTR book (I tried years ago and it was a chore so I gave up) but we are enjoying this quite a bit. I really enjoyed the LOTR films but thought the Hobbit was a bloated mess.
The following users liked this post:
story (09-17-22)
Old 09-11-22, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 774 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
I got the impression that the Queen knew exactly who she is and why she is there based on her dialogue at the end. Wife and I have not read a single LOTR book (I tried years ago and it was a chore so I gave up) but we are enjoying this quite a bit. I really enjoyed the LOTR films but thought the Hobbit was a bloated mess.
The queen also has a Palantiri (it's implied), so she's a little nutty now. Reminds me of how Denethor was, even though they didn't show him with one, but was implied (and in the book he did have one).
Old 09-11-22, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 570 Likes on 353 Posts

Galadriel is still insufferable and the Harfoots are a dreadful bore, but I'm enjoying the rest of the series thus far. Enjoying Arondir's subplot as well as everything Numenor.
Old 09-12-22, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
I got more of a sense that she was suspect of elves in general- and Sauron has been working behind the scenes in Numenor to cause this.
Old 09-17-22, 12:10 PM

Received 1,197 Likes on 711 Posts

Isildur peaked my interest. I both felt oh, now I know where this is leading, while also feeling wait, when is this? That has me a little confused. Is this basically right before the the prelude battle in Fellowship of the Ring then?
Old 09-17-22, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story View Post
Isildur peaked my interest. I both felt oh, now I know where this is leading, while also feeling wait, when is this? That has me a little confused. Is this basically right before the the prelude battle in Fellowship of the Ring then?
Yeah, pretty much. Isildur is the guy who will cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand and defeat him.

Keep in mind, though, that they are compressing the hell out of the timeline in this series.

For example, in the Tolkien canon, there is nearly two thousand years between the creation of the One Ring and Isildur defeating Sauron. But in this series, Isildur is alive before the creation of the One Ring.

Durin III and Durin IV also create some timeline issues as well. Durin III was around at the time the One Ring was forged, and Durin IV was around at the time Sauron was defeated by Isildur. However, they were not father and son, and the name "Durin" is only bestowed to Dwarves from Durin's line who are believed to be a sort of reincarnation of the original Durin, who was the first of the Seven Fathers created by Aule, and was prophesied to return seven times. So it would, literally, be impossible for two Durins to exist at the same time.

I can understand why they did it -- this is a tv series, and it would be impractical to be constantly jumping centuries and decades every couple of episodes -- but it's going to give Tolkien purists fits.

It wreaks absolute havoc with the timeline, because the Rings of Power were forged in the middle of the Second Age and the destruction of the One Ring marked the end of the Second Age and the start of the Third Age. But, by narrative necessity for The Rings of Power, all of this will happen over the course of a couple of decades at the end of the Second Age.

I can't help bu wonder if they maybe should have had each season take place in a different century; it would mean that only the Elf characters could appear in every season, and the individual Human, Dwarf, and Harfoot characters could only be featured in one or two seasons, tops. (Numenorians and Dwarves can live for two or three hundred years, so there could be some crossover.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
B.A. (09-19-22), story (09-17-22)
Old 09-17-22, 09:36 PM

Received 1,197 Likes on 711 Posts

Thanks for that. I don't agree with their move, in that case. I think it better to have the creation of the rings part as a first series and a battle with Sauron / cut the ring as a second series and an in-between time as a third series ("young" Gandalf?). But what do I know? I'm just Jeff Bezos.
B.A. (09-19-22)
Old 09-17-22, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And, tangentially related to the timeline issues is the characterization of Galadriel.

In Rings of Power, she isn't shown a lot of respect by the other Elves when she is, in fact, even at this point, a pretty damned important and powerful Elf. She was born in Valinor, taught by the Valar themselves, and lived under the light of the trees. At this point, she would essentially be Elf royalty and a being of great power and wisdom, and not someone to be fucked with. Respected and feared and feared by most other Elves. But here she's kind of like this underestimated warrior princess that gets bullied by everyone around her. (She should also be married to Celeborn at this point, and I don't think he's been mentioned yet.)
B.A. (09-19-22)