Reload this Page >

The Challenge: Untold History Documentary (MTV) 9/21/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-07-22, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 338 Likes on 264 Posts

Three week “documentary event” that should lead up to the Premiere of the next MTV season.

The docuseries features over 30 competitors including Wes Bergmann, Johnny “Bananas” Devenanzio, Mark Long, CT Tamburello, Darrell Taylor, Rachel Robinson, Laurel Stuckey and Kam Williams, who will each share stories that never made it to air during their time on the franchise. In addition to current and past competitors, the doc will include commentary from producers and media analysts.
​​
Old 09-07-22, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 184 Likes on 135 Posts
Re: The Challenge: Untold History Documentary (MTV) 9/21/22

Will it have the toothbrush story?
Old 09-21-22, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This premieres tonight.
Old 09-22-22, 08:25 AM

Received 3,058 Likes on 2,073 Posts

I enjoyed seeing some of the old footage. I wish they would add those early seasons and Road Rules to Paramount+ finally.

I found it amusing that Jake Johnson and David Callaham are super fans.

Did not need any Kardashian in this... but oh well.
Old 09-22-22, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I enjoyed it as well. I had forgotten a lot about the early years, mostly because those were pre-DVR days and my profession at the time didn't exactly promote appointment viewing, so I mostly saw reruns and out of order at that.

It seemed odd to be reminded that there was a time before The Challenge existed.
Old 09-22-22, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the first two episodes were really well done. I’ve always liked Jake Johnson. I like him even more now that I know he’s a Challenge fan. It’s good to see Landon back on tv. I wish they could convince him to do All Stars.

I can’t believe Paulie is in this but Cara Maria, the female face of the show for years, wasn’t interviewed. I heard they weren’t paying much for interviews, but how bad is the rift between production and Cara that she wasn’t interviewed for this?

Also, I can’t believe Bill Simmons isn’t in this. He’s the one who called The Challenge America’s fifth sport.

I agree that all the old seasons of The Challenge and Road Rules need to be on Paramount+.
Old 09-23-22, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post

I agree that all the old seasons of The Challenge and Road Rules need to be on Paramount+.
Al ot of old challenge seasons are loaded with misogyn,slut shamming and bullying that they want to whitewash away. I am honestly surprised they still have the original Fresh Meat up where Wes entire arc is bullying his partner Casey and fighting with his then GF Johanna. And Road Rules it's just not nearly as popular enough for them to go through the hassle of music clearance issues and reediting episodes. Like they don't even have certain seasons of the OG show that started it all Real World which only stopped making episodes like 15-16 years after RR did.
Old 09-23-22, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Al ot of old challenge seasons are loaded with misogyn,slut shamming and bullying that they want to whitewash away. I am honestly surprised they still have the original Fresh Meat up where Wes entire arc is bullying his partner Casey and fighting with his then GF Johanna. And Road Rules it's just not nearly as popular enough for them to go through the hassle of music clearance issues and reediting episodes. Like they don't even have certain seasons of the OG show that started it all Real World which only stopped making episodes like 15-16 years after RR did.
All the early reality shows have that. They should just put a disclaimer up and air them.