Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Copenhagen Cowboy (Netflix) - from Nicolas Winding Refn

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-22, 07:07 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Copenhagen Cowboy (Netflix) - from Nicolas Winding Refn

Copenhagen Cowboy is a thrill-inducing, neon-drenched noir series set across six episodes which follows enigmatic young heroine, Miu. After a lifetime of servitude and on the verge of a new beginning, she traverses the ominous landscape of Copenhagen’s criminal netherworld. Searching for justice and enacting vengeance, she encounters her nemesis, Rakel, as they embark on an odyssey through the natural and the supernatural. The past ultimately transforms and defines their future, as the two women discover they are not alone, they are many.

Last edited by dex14; 11-23-22 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-05-22, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Copenhagen Cowboy (Netflix) - from Nicolas Winding Refn

At least he didn't call it The Neon Copenhagen Cowboy.
Old 09-05-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I like that trailer and the music but I've yet to watch the Amazon series he did. Each of those episodes were the length of a feature and I could never make the time for it.
Old 09-05-22, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I've yet to watch the Amazon series he did. Each of those episodes were the length of a feature and I could never make the time for it.
I know directors have their artistic vision but in this day and age of binge, one needs to make it more attractive and not a slog. 10 full-length episodes is a bit much.
Old 09-05-22, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I like that trailer and the music but I've yet to watch the Amazon series he did. Each of those episodes were the length of a feature and I could never make the time for it.
Too Old to Die Young. It wastes a ton of time. But I love it. It’s my go to movie if I want to watch someone walk for three minutes.

There is a lot of good cringe. A lot of mean and heartbreaking and provocative shit happens.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (09-06-22)
Old 11-23-22, 09:38 AM

The heroine we've all been waiting for - Miu is here to show how the netherworld of Copenhagen should be run. Copenhagen Cowboy is coming to Netflix January 5th 2023.
Old 11-23-22, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I didn't like the show. It was too much Refn doing Refn, instead of telling a story. I had the same problem with Only God Forgives.
Old 01-05-23, 06:19 AM

This is out today.
Old 01-05-23, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Only 7 reviews out so far, but 6 positive. I'll give it a chance. NWR has gotten too much leeway (with me) for Drive. Everything he's released since I've disliked, so my expectations are low
Old 01-08-23, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On episode 3. Loving it. But NWRs style pulls me in.

Since there is no real info on this … it’s usual bleak and surreal NWR. Euro sex trafficked girls deal with stuff and try to escape. Every male so far is a sickening violent criminal. And main character is a good luck charm. Probably supernatural.
Old 01-08-23, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well this was awesome. It is probably just for NWR fans though. It sets up some mythology by the end. I’m not sure if they are serious about doing more seasons or if they’re just playing with us.

Hideo Kajima (of Konami fame) has a cameo. Ha. I’ll have to read up on why.
Old 01-09-23, 01:09 PM

I've been trying to get through this, but I've been viewing it night at when I'm too tired to give it my full attention. I've made it through 2.5 episodes so far. The seems to be in The Neon Demon realm of NWR (which I liked). I don't dislike it so far, but I will reserve judgment in full until the end. The pig noise is fucking grating though.

I read a good interview with Refn on Interview: https://www.interviewmagazine.com/te...ms-to-polarize

Last edited by dex14; 01-09-23 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-10-23, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Started watching this tonight and finished ep 3 which was my favorite so far. Bronson is one of my favorite movies from the past 15 years but I haven't caught up with much of Refn's recent work until now. As with Hitchcock and DePalma I've liked Refn's Kubrick homages and there's no shortage of that here. I can see how some might find it slow going but I've been in the mood for something trippy and stylish and this fits the bill. Curious to see how it plays out.
Old 01-10-23, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeesh. That went downhill in a hurry. I just finished the last ep and I feel like someone who just got punk'd. What the hell was that? I thought I was watching the Six Million Dollar Man where the aliens visited except no cool Bigfoot. Instead there was a protracted fight that was like a low budget live action Street Fighter starring Mike Tyson vs. Chad. By the last ep I had run out patience with the sloooooooow panning shots. I feel like there was potential for something really cool and I was onboard for most but it was stretched thin and went off the rails into some manga superhero thing that felt like a desperate attempt to cap the episode order.

That said I liked the music, the lighting, the Shining homages and there was some funny stuff especially with the weird parents. Plus it was only 6 hours and I was frickin bored and it was most a mostly entertaining way to fill a couple evenings.

Last edited by philo; 01-11-23 at 11:19 PM.