TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Boys (Amazon) - Season 4 Thread - premieres 6/13/24

Old 07-08-24, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 817 Likes on 588 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) - Season 4 Thread - premieres 6/13/24

Originally Posted by Coral
Maid in Manhattan Hamilton.
Both The Boys and Maid in Manhattan (and the Da Vinci Code) are Sony productions.
Old 07-08-24, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 942 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Both The Boys and Maid in Manhattan (and the Da Vinci Code) are Sony productions.
OK. I was just referring to Hughie and his mom stating the building was used in "Maid in Manhattan" when in reality the building shown in this episode is the Royal Connaught Condos (formerly Royal Connaught Hotel) in Hamilton.
Old 07-08-24, 10:59 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 605 Likes on 347 Posts

Maybe I'm just not critical enough, but I am loving this season, and I've lived the show right from the beginning. It is so over-the-top absurd it's hilarious that the MAGA alt-right didn't figure out right away it was making fun of them.
The following users liked this post:
Draven (07-12-24)
Old 07-08-24, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 317 Likes on 231 Posts

Oh boy more keister stuff!!
Old 07-08-24, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not getting the complaints about this season when it comes to general plot (right vs left) and "gross" content - that plot has been brewing for a while and the over-the-top sex and gore for shock value has been there from the start.

What this season is missing is another standout new actor/character like Ackles/Soldier Boy (and to a lesser extent, Cash/Stormfront). While I like Sister Sage the best out of the new characters, she doesn't have that same presence.

My other complaint would be it seems there's way less Butcher (I haven't actually compared screen time to previous seasons), who is by far the best character (and actor - Urban has always been great in this) on the Boys' side.

While the Fight Club trope has certainly been done before and you could see it coming a mile away, I actually really did like the actual reveal when JDM yelled at Becca. I thought that scene was well-done.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 07-09-24 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-09-24, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-10-24, 07:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Could be the one he was video chatting with. I think she was in the first episode or two but she skipped town. I don't remember her name either, but they seemed to be at least sorta romantically linked
Yes - thank you. I don't know her name, but she seemed to appear again for a moment in this season.

I just watched Episode 5 - The farm animals were entertaining, but you have 3 supes in one place and they can't defeat some flying sheep with sharp teeth?) oh well.

I agree the MCU movie timeline went on way too long. Seems in the past some of these jokes were tung in cheek background references - now they are full blown plot points weaved into an entire episode to kill time.

Hughie's Dad phasing in and out of walls and then onto the guy on the bed should have killed him. The minute he re-phased onto a solid mass - the steel frame of the bed should have shredded his organs, muscles, and skin.

We will see where this goes - but it seems to be about the gross out / shock factor now.

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 07-10-24 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-10-24, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jason
Could be the one he was video chatting with. I think she was in the first episode or two but she skipped town. I don't remember her name either, but they seemed to be at least sorta romantically linked
Originally Posted by Rob V
It looks like she lost a lot of weight - when it wasn't necessary. My son said he read that she had work done. If true, I just don't get it... she's a beautiful girl and now looks way too thin and "sharp".
I noticed the same thing - you can see the injection marks above her lips, and her face is so gaunt. I was thinking she went on some weight loss drug - but now she looks like a skeleton (I also think she might have had her nose done).

She was so cute - I agree she didn't need to do this.
Old 07-10-24, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-12-24, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Hughie's Dad phasing in and out of walls and then onto the guy on the bed should have killed him. The minute he re-phased onto a solid mass - the steel frame of the bed should have shredded his organs, muscles, and skin.
A-Train ran through a person in the first episode. Supes all have tough skin. And we donít know how his power worked anyway - it could have just vaporized whatever he solidified into.
Old 07-12-24, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 721 Likes on 560 Posts

Well, episode 7 was legitimately good. Nice misdirection at the end. And it's interesting that Kessler seems to be autonomous.

By the way, when I saw the puppets at the beginning of the episode, I was hoping Sam from Gen V was going to make an appearance. Oh and I never realized that Tilda Swinton voices Ambrosious.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (07-13-24)
Old 07-12-24, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Yes - thank you. I don't know her name, but she seemed to appear again for a moment in this season.

I just watched Episode 5 - The farm animals were entertaining, but you have 3 supes in one place and they can't defeat some flying sheep with sharp teeth?) oh well.

I agree the MCU movie timeline went on way too long. Seems in the past some of these jokes were tung in cheek background references - now they are full blown plot points weaved into an entire episode to kill time.

We will see where this goes - but it seems to be about the gross out / shock factor now.
Three supes, I guess counting Butcher, or am I forgetting someone? Butcher can't call out his powers, Starlight's powers were on the fritz, and Neuman is only ever going to look out for herself and may not be able to lock onto fast moving objects. I didn't think that was out of the realm of possibility that they'd be running from the sheep that just tore up a massive V'd up bull.

What I can't stop thinking about is how Homelander can just end anyone at any time. Like if he wanted to off Butcher and co. he could have easily just done it himself, from orbit. At any time. When he's chasing Hughie from the Icecapades and he gets away, he could have easily just found him later and killed him. They're not exactly hiding, and their families are not hiding. I realize then we wouldn't have much of a show and they try to show that his ego or Sage get in the way of that, but the guy has no qualms murdering anyone, even in public, so I have a hard time believing he knows exactly where Butcher lives and works and he's just like nah, I'm good. Neuman doesn't want to be outed but Homelander, what does he care? It really makes me want to see a good adaptation of Waid's Irredeemable, just an off the rails superman type who is fed up with the world.

I think where this season is losing me is that I don't really care about any of the main "good guy" characters save Butcher, who is the one guy I shouldn't care about, and guys like A-train or Ryan. Kessler is absolutely right, those guys are useless. Ok, Hughie's storyline was pretty compelling but he's still kinda useless except that he has a body type that the others don't. I want to care about Kimiko but man that backstory is a bit rough... I do like that she hides it really well though with that smile on her face and everyone else is like "well she's good, let's focus on the other problems" Frenchie seems like a storyline they should have done a couple of seasons ago. The episodes just die whenever one of those storylines are focused on, at least to me, and Homelander/Sage/Victoria are much more compelling.

They did swerve me at the end though, I thought for sure Hughie would be the one after he got slashed AND they let him go off on his own for a while. This is definitely the "screw Hughie up" season even more than the other seasons, though.

Last edited by fujishig; 07-12-24 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-12-24, 01:35 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Viruses. How do they work? Lol. They were scared to interact with the animals because they would transmit the virus to the supes. I've seen a few people not understanding. Now they kind of muddled the waters because they had Nueman head pop an attacking chicken. But I'm gonna chalk that up to being a smaller animal and if I remember correctly he was heading for Stan. So the blood getting on him wouldn't transfer the virus to him, because he's a simple normy.
Old 07-12-24, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

This season is pretty bad but it did have two great episodes (the one with Homelander going back to his roots being one of the best out of all seasons).

I never had an issue with the politics in this series either - it always bashed both sides and even makes fun of the woke nonsense (that beverage change bit was hilarious) but I think the issue for many people is while the political stuff was usually surface level, now it seems to be too "on the nose" and it turns people off. It honestly doesn't bother me with one exception, I watch movies and TV to escape the nonsense of the real world - so I don't mind surface politics but anything further than that is just annoying.

The DEI boxes were checked for Frenchie with a character nobody cares about and completely diminishes his relationship with Kimiko - even if they weren't to hook-up (which I didn't mind either way), it stopped al the chemistry with their team-up in general. It looks like Kripke had to alter a lot with Hugie's Father's sub-plot and many other minor but important details that affect the flow of this season.

I am disappointed with this season big time, You have Homelander just meandering about half the time, and it just feels bland. Sage was nice addition; firecracker feels like an unrefined character, and I have no idea what the hell they're doing with Starlight.

For those wondering why Mothers Milk looks so different - it's plain and simple, he got off the roids, it really is that simple. I will say that one good thing from this season is how he is heard more as well - he has more of a forceful presence but Kripke still messes with him with taking on some of the nasty stuff lol. I don't think Butcher became a "bitch" like others have said (not in this thread, just in general), he's just messed up big time and I think it plays well.

Haven't seen this week's episode yet - hope it's good.
Old 07-12-24, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The weird thing is that the character development here is spot on, but I still feel like those characters just drag the show down mainly because I'm like there is a clear and present threat here and you guys are just fumbling the ball. Like the MM stuff is great, Hughie is growing, Starlight is realizing a lot of things about herself especially with how she had already been portrayed as this goody two shoes, Frenchie is changing and Kimiko has a lot more expressiveness even if she still can't talk... I think I just would have preferred all of this earlier when the stakes weren't so high. Now I'm more like A-train, get your stuff together man.

If someone is saying Butcher is too much of a "bitch" now they are probably missing the point of the show, or at least rooting for the wrong thing.

The politics I can see being a turn off but I think for me it's only because it's depressing. But that abortion part was pretty spot on, and while some may feel like a lot of this is overblown cartoonishness, um, some of it really isn't. I did like when the rich people were together and Homelander was trying to get them to rally around the talking points and the one lady was like 'save that for the peons" and they got into what they really wanted... money and power.
Old 07-12-24, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
They did swerve me at the end though, I thought for sure Hughie would be the one after he got slashed AND they let him go off on his own for a while. This is definitely the "screw Hughie up" season even more than the other seasons, though.
I didn't think it was Hughie.. as in the first time he and Starlight hooked up, her eyes lit up during her O. Not the case it this instance, where I think her powers would have manifested more under relaxed conditions rather than fritzing out when under pressure to perform. I just wonder if the shapeshifter is still working for Sage and how did he know where/how to access Victoria's files?
Old 07-12-24, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I didn't think it was Hughie.. as in the first time he and Starlight hooked up, her eyes lit up during her O. Not the case it this instance, where I think her powers would have manifested more under relaxed conditions rather than fritzing out when under pressure to perform. I just wonder if the shapeshifter is still working for Sage and how did he know where/how to access Victoria's files?
Oh it was definitely Starlight, they showed exactly when it happened in a flashback as well. I just thought before that that it would be Hughie (because guaranteed someone was going to be taken). But dude has been through the ringer this season and when he finds out about this...

For the files part I figured that the shapeshifter is able to access memories, or they would put themselves at a lot of risk (they are already at risk assuming they can't replicate powers). How did they know about the costume, for instance? And the first person they morphed into fainted after the contact so it's more than just physical.
Old 07-13-24, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 563 Likes on 395 Posts

Love this season as much as the first 3. I'm still thinking the season is going to end with Homelander slicing (or tearing ) A-Train in half.
Old 07-15-24, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by New Lurker
Viruses. How do they work? Lol. They were scared to interact with the animals because they would transmit the virus to the supes..
Ok - that makes sense. Thanks
Old 07-15-24, 04:35 PM

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,248 Posts

I'm finally caught up. I watched Gen V first a couple weeks before and I liked it more than I thought I would. And I think this is a good season. It has one thing I like, which is seeing the dynamics of the team more and one thing I'm not a fan of, which is a drawn-out build-up to a final confrontation. As people have said, Homelander could just take them out. But I appreciate this latest episode addressed why he is holding back, that made sense. At first, I found the "ripped from the headlines" verbatim political talking points off-putting, but then I realized putting them alongside all of the other outlandish stuff in this show highlights their outlandishness. And really, it's like how people have said The Onion can't outwrite reality, sometimes. I think it's the same case here. I'll leave it at that so as to not get too political about a show with politics.

I miss Maeve. There is something missing in the show without her. Who knows what will happen in the future...

I am, of course, in for the finale and the final season. This has been an intriguing show and it sticks with me after each episode.
Old 07-16-24, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 317 Likes on 231 Posts

^That used to happen to me. Each show left a bit of a lasting impression. As I said before too much of a good thing sours after a bit and each time they try to outdo what was done previously and sort of fail IMHO. This or any show does not always need that. Fast and Furious found that out as they continue to be over the top and have had diminished returns.

The episodes now are watched and forgot. So much so that when the recap comes on I had forgotten most of it and "needed" the reminder. OR I am just bored with it and tapped out. Not sure yet.
Old 07-16-24, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 185 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by story
At first, I found the "ripped from the headlines" verbatim political talking points off-putting...
Maybe ripped from the headlines of Rachel Maddow's OnlyFans page.
Old 07-16-24, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 194 Likes on 131 Posts

Still curious as to what Sage is really up to. She left that notebook behind on purpose. Who is the new Black Noir? I thought he was just some rando taking his place for PR.

1 episode and 1 season left to wrap it all up. I'm guessing Hughie and Starlight are the last ones standing.