TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Best series finale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Re: Best series finale?

Originally Posted by movieguru
In general, modern serialized dramas and shows have an easier time about providing a proper finale than shows of the previous generations. Most shows now, have most of the entire series mapped out and have some sense of how the show will or should end. Older shows were much more open ended and they went episode by episode or season by season. They would also more than likely just get cancelled before the writers could plan a decent series finale.

Not many older shows (2000 or earlier) had an ending in mind as they hoped it would last indefinitely. In the very early days there would be a show like The Fugitive where you know where the show would eventually end, the same with MASH. Same thing with Star Trek Voyager. Three's Company ended their's with them all moving out and on with their life. But those shows were more the exception than the rule back then.

I think situation comedies also have a much more difficult time coming up with a decent finale or resolution for the series. Cheers left open with the impression that life was going to go on the same with them all continuing to hang out a bar every day. That was the writers' intentions, but it didn't make a good finale because of it.

In theory yeah sure modern shows SHOULD have better endings. But Lost, GoT and TWD would like to see you. Lost they should have had an exit strategy but it's clear they didn't have this grand plan like we thought they did. GoT...well...entire articles have been written on how that show ended. And TWD has way overstayed it's welcome. So yeah they should but they oftentimes don't.
Old 08-31-22, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

I've been re-watching Elementary lately and the season 6 final episode would have been a perfect series finale...if the show didn't come back for a short 7th season.
Old 08-31-22, 11:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe not the best, but one of my favorites is the ending to Fringe.