Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Better Call Saul (S6E13) - Series Finale - "Saul Gone" - 8/15/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the finale?
Yes
73.33%
No
13.33%
Not sure yet, need to think about it.
11.67%
Other
1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Better Call Saul (S6E13) - Series Finale - "Saul Gone" - 8/15/22

Old 08-16-22, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S6E13) - Series Finale - "Saul Gone" - 8/15/22

That was a really good ending to the series and brought satisfying closure to all these characters including Jimmy. I found it interesting how smug and arrogant he was when he negotiated his plea deal. But then when he got word of what Kim did, it completely changed him and he decided to confess his sins. I took that as how much he still loved Kim and didn’t want her to suffer for what he did. The reunion in the prison with the smoking was a nice callback.

Vince wrote and directed the series finale of Breaking Bad “Felina” and I thought it was only fair and a good gesture to hand off this finale to Peter Gould. Especially considering they were closing our working together for 14 years and Gould was the creator of the Saul Goodman character in Breaking Bad.

Whenever Sony decides to release a complete series Blu-ray set, I will absolutely pick it up. I never bought the individual seasons past season 1. This is one of the best shows ever in TV history.

The following users liked this post:
VinVega (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Bob Odenkirk posted this goodbye and thank you video tonight on IG

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChTzE...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Old 08-16-22, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Didn't love it. Didn't hate it.

Regarding Saul/Jimmy's change of heart, the impression I got was that when he was confessing and bargaining his sentence down to seven years, he said something, either real or fabricated, that would throw Kim under the bus in order to get weekly ice cream. Then, when he was on the plane, something clicked, and intentionally blew up his deal to get Kim out of jeopardy.

"It's really good ice cream."

For whatever reason, we weren't made privy to this bit information, so we sort of have to read between the lines.

As far as I know, Kim's confession was truthful, except for the part about not knowing if Saul/Jimmy was alive or dead, and she didn't volunteer that he was in contact with her.
Old 08-16-22, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I haven’t watched an episode since sometime in Season 2, but I’m gonna check this out.

I loved Breaking Bad, but this show just didn’t start clicking enough for me to continue. Tried restarting Season 2 a few weeks back and was bored out of my mind.

I have been surprised at some social media opinions saying this show was on par with or even better than Breaking Bad.
Old 08-16-22, 06:10 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I haven’t watched an episode since sometime in Season 2, but I’m gonna check this out.

I loved Breaking Bad, but this show just didn’t start clicking enough for me to continue. Tried restarting Season 2 a few weeks back and was bored out of my mind.

I have been surprised at some social media opinions saying this show was on par with or even better than Breaking Bad.
Season 2 was the worst season. Season 3 and onward is vastly improved.
VinVega (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 06:13 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

It wasn't what I was expecting for a finale, and I didn't think it was a great ending, but it was certainly a fitting and appropriate conclusion.

For someone with Saul's slickness, I wouldn't have expected him to get caught so quickly. You'd think the guy would have had a go bag and a getaway route already planned. I had been wondering if his motivation for working with Jeff was to save up enough to get another vacuum cleaner repaired. He had been on the phone with Francesca after his cover had been compromised, and found out he had no money hidden anywhere. Then he goes and starts working with Jeff to rebuild his stash.

Using his phone call to call the store to make sure they get the dough prepped was hilarious, and the same thing Gus did with Lyle.

Walt summed up the whole series in one line "So you've always been like this?"

I got the impression Saul was ready to make the deal, take the seven years, and move on. Then he found out Kim had confessed and it made him think of their last phone call and what she told him he needed to do. That's when the change of heart occurred. Still, making a conscious decision to throw away that type of plea deal seems insane. It didn't seem to do anything to help Kim, only mend fences with her which do no good when you're behind bars for the rest of your life. But it certainly makes a good character redemption for TV sake.
Old 08-16-22, 08:06 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

so Jimmy was able to plea down to 7 years, but because of his confession to the judge, got 86 years, is that correct?
Old 08-16-22, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so Jimmy was able to plea down to 7 years, but because of his confession to the judge, got 86 years, is that correct?

Was pretty clear.
Old 08-16-22, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Didn't live up to the bar set by Breaking Bad. The endless callbacks got needlessly tiresome and Saul blowing his deal and getting a life sentence all for the woman he hasn't been with in years who's last conversation he angrily hung up on? That is some sappy bullshit right there.
Old 08-16-22, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 374 Likes on 272 Posts

A lot of nice moments for the finale, I loved in the court room the scene where there is a "target" in the spindles that is just off the mark for Kim toward the end. Also having the Time Machine appear in the Chuck scene. So many good moments but not a great finale. I want to know how the hell we get to the transition series!
Old 08-16-22, 09:42 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
That was a really good ending to the series and brought satisfying closure to all these characters including Jimmy. I found it interesting how smug and arrogant he was when he negotiated his plea deal. But then when he got word of what Kim did, it completely changed him and he decided to confess his sins. I took that as how much he still loved Kim and didn’t want her to suffer for what he did. The reunion in the prison with the smoking was a nice callback.

Vince wrote and directed the series finale of Breaking Bad “Felina” and I thought it was only fair and a good gesture to hand off this finale to Peter Gould. Especially considering they were closing our working together for 14 years and Gould was the creator of the Saul Goodman character in Breaking Bad.

Whenever Sony decides to release a complete series Blu-ray set, I will absolutely pick it up. I never bought the individual seasons past season 1. This is one of the best shows ever in TV history.
I also think it's fitting here that he did this when Kim finally owned up to her part. In all the series, Jimmy has been worried about how Kim will react, but we saw Kim loved the con just as much as Jimmy, and even when they started the whole Howard fiasco, he initially didn't want to do it. Granted, he didn't try hard to convince her not to, but in all of that, he had her back, like she had his back when he pulled the scam on Chuck switching the address a few seasons ago. When she left him, it broke him and turned him completely into Saul, even though we saw that transformation over several years. When she came back and fessed up to what she did, maybe he saw that if she can change so can he. He finally allowed himself to admit that he felt bad about what happened to Chuck, and was content with that because Kim changed and he could too.
The following 3 users liked this post by jwb0323:
BuckNaked2k (08-16-22), DJariya (08-16-22), Jay G. (08-17-22)
Old 08-16-22, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Walters's bald cap was truly terrible.
Yeah, but not as bad as his bald cap in El Camino.

Speaking of which, I know the scene was shot dark because Chuck didn't have lights/electricity running in the house - but they seemed to have put him deeper in the shadows as it was hard to see him. From what I could see, he looked a lot older than his last appearance on the show over 4 years ago - so I wonder if they were trying to hide that.
Old 08-16-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

If she wasn't a lawyer then I am not sure what the point of Jimmy coming clean was. It was already noted that charges were not going to be filed.
She still had the civil suit looming, he was trying to save her from that. Basically saying he took someone who wouldn’t have been able to do something so impressive on their own without him.
Old 08-16-22, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
She still had the civil suit looming, he was trying to save her from that. Basically saying he took someone who wouldn’t have been able to do something so impressive on their own without him.
I still don't see how that in any way limits, let alone negates, Kim's civil liability in Howard's death. I still loved the finale, but that does stick out like a sore thumb.
I haven't read any interviews with Gould since the show aired, maybe he addresses this?
Old 08-16-22, 11:16 AM

Okay, after reading an interview, it wasn't a desire for Jimmy/Saul to protect Kim. It was just him realizing that if Kim could come clean, so could he. And he just wanted to have Kim in court to hear it. She's still in just as much legal jeopardy as before :
What did it take for Saul, who seemed to lack remorse after being caught, to suddenly turn back into Jimmy? Take me through the decision to have him reverse course after he hears what Kim has done (in confessing, via affidavit, her involvement in Howard’s death).

Obviously, he gets caught at the beginning of the episode and he’s hopeless for a little bit. And then he gathers himself and realizes he’s Saul Goddamn Goodman. He’s in his element finally. And he negotiates a remarkable deal. But he does that by looking Marie Schrader in the eye, and saying that he was a victim like her. To me, that’s one of the lowest moments this guy has ever had. And that is a true Saul Goodman moment. There’s no hint of Jimmy.

When he hears what Kim has done in the previous episode, that she has copped to everything that she did, her whole part in what they did — which of course, is only a small sliver of what Saul Goodman did — I think it brings him up short. And suddenly this deal that he was kind of happy about, it kind of turns to ashes in his mouth. Suddenly everything feels wrong to him at that point. And he makes a decision, no matter what the cost is, he’s gonna come clean in court. He’s going to do what she did. If she can do it, he can do it. But he would really like her to be there. He wants her to see it. And who knows, maybe he doesn’t even trust that he has the courage to do it if she’s not there. So that’s why he tells a lie in order to get her into court. And then in court, he really hangs himself. He slits his own throat by confessing to everything. But in a weird way, it’s a moment of great showmanship. He may be the devil, but he’s the devil in the spotlight. And that’s as far as he’s planning to go. But then he sees the look on her face. And then he goes a little bit further.
In the world of “Breaking Bad”/”Better Call Saul,” this is kind of a happy ending. What do you think?

I’m so happy you say it’s a happy ending. I think it shows some measure of accomplishment that you’re calling it a happy ending when we’ve got a character who’s in federal prison for a good chunk of his future life. And another character who’s under threat of a giant civil lawsuit that could take away whatever little bit that she has. And yet, you’re right. I think it is a happy ending. Because they’ve regained their humanity. I think both Jimmy and Kim have earned their souls back. I don’t think you can say that he’s redeemed himself, because how do you do that when you’ve been part of murder? There’s no taking that back without a time machine. But he’s gotten a piece of his true self back and I don’t think he’s ever going to make the same mistakes again. And I don’t think she is either.
The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
majorjoe23 (08-16-22), Rocketsfan (08-16-22), uteotw (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 11:17 AM

To your mind, do you think what Saul does in the hearing will get Kim out of legal trouble with Cheryl?
No, I don’t. I think that Kim is on her own journey, and I think he knows that. He does feel bad about what’s happening with Cheryl. But I don’t think Kim would like it if Jimmy pulled some maneuver that protected her from Cheryl. He doesn’t save her; she saves her. They’re done with saving each other by this time. What he sees is that she had the courage to face what she’s done. And she did something that I don’t think Jimmy/Gene ever thought she would do, which is not only to turn herself in, but actually to sit across from Cheryl Hamlin, who they both lied to disgustingly, and be 100 percent truthful.
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movi...rview-1394766/
Old 08-16-22, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 127 Posts

I liked the finale a lot. It was certainly a big step up from the rest of the Gene-focused episodes. The scenes with Mike, Marie, Walt and Chuck all felt more organic and meaningful than the season's previous 'surprise' appearances. Him getting caught so quickly and easily at the beginning was stupid, but that just put the first several minutes at the same level of quality as the rest of the Gene story this season. Jimmy found some small measure of, not redemption, but at least conscience, contrition and peace. I liked Kim finding the volunteer opportunity and that felt like about as positive of an outcome as the audience could've hoped for her. All in all, they wrapped it up well. Certainly the transition of Saul back to Jimmy felt much more natural and believable than the transitions of early Saul to raging asshole Saul or Gene back to Saul.

I will say, holy shit did this remind me that I never want to watch normally scheduled television again. I intended to watch the whole episode 'live' on AMC+ last night, but ended up nodding off during the two dozenth or so commercial break and had to catch the last half this morning. I feel like there were at least a couple commercial-show-commercial runs where commercials were on screen more than the show.
Old 08-16-22, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Exactly. Once the United States Attorney had that confession, I'm sure the deal was pulled off the table, sending Saul to Supermax for the remainder of his life.

I'd like to think that a few years into his sentence, Saul gets a visit from the ASUA offering him a Frank Abignale-type deal to help the government uncover money laundering in exchange for a reduced sentence at a minimum security joint.
OldBoy (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 11:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Yeah, but not as bad as his bald cap in El Camino.

Speaking of which, I know the scene was shot dark because Chuck didn't have lights/electricity running in the house - but they seemed to have put him deeper in the shadows as it was hard to see him. From what I could see, he looked a lot older than his last appearance on the show over 4 years ago - so I wonder if they were trying to hide that.
Definitely. He looked WAY older. Not sure if he has battled illness or Covid or just father time catching up but yeah he was noticeably aged. I thought that was a good scene. Showed that with a little more insight Jimmy's path could have been much different.
Old 08-16-22, 12:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
Didn't live up to the bar set by Breaking Bad. The endless callbacks got needlessly tiresome and Saul blowing his deal and getting a life sentence all for the woman he hasn't been with in years who's last conversation he angrily hung up on? That is some sappy bullshit right there.
Obviously he loved Kim and would do anything for her, but I took it more as he finally did the right thing when it mattered. A lifetime of cutting corners, lying, taking the easy way out. Flashbacks to talking to others about a Time Machine and what they would change if they could go back. Well, he had his moment to change things, and do the right thing, and he did it.

edit - Don’t mind me

Last edited by benh911; 08-16-22 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-16-22, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by benh911
Also, when voted on this poll it asked which show you liked better, not if you were satisfied with the finale, which I was. But, no changing votes I guess.
Different thread: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/65...call-saul.html
benh911 (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 12:07 PM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Okay, after reading an interview, it wasn't a desire for Jimmy/Saul to protect Kim. It was just him realizing that if Kim could come clean, so could he. And he just wanted to have Kim in court to hear it. She's still in just as much legal jeopardy as before :
Not really sure I buy in completely to that explanation but I get it. There were other ways he could have made the same change of heart.

Although I liked the series, I think that ultimately it failed because they never really made a convincing argument for him to become EVIL, nor a convincing argument that full Saul would have ever sought redemption in the way he did. Like I have said before the Jimmy/blossoming "Saul" character as he was in this series (assume we don't know Saul from BB) would have done anything literally ANYTHING for Kim and would have devoted every ounce of his being into winning her back which he possibly could have. Saul in BCS and Saul (evil, moral-less) in BB are never connected in this show so ultimately it is a failure. They actually did a better job fleshing out Mike and Gustavo than Saul and Lalo was a fantastic villain.
Old 08-16-22, 12:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Thanks. I guess that’s what I get for voting late after a few beers.
Old 08-16-22, 12:29 PM

This is a fun look back :
Old 08-16-22, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Although I liked the series, I think that ultimately it failed because they never really made a convincing argument for him to become EVIL, nor a convincing argument that full Saul would have ever sought redemption in the way he did. Like I have said before the Jimmy/blossoming "Saul" character as he was in this series (assume we don't know Saul from BB) would have done anything literally ANYTHING for Kim and would have devoted every ounce of his being into winning her back which he possibly could have. Saul in BCS and Saul (evil, moral-less) in BB are never connected in this show so ultimately it is a failure. They actually did a better job fleshing out Mike and Gustavo than Saul and Lalo was a fantastic villain.
They also never explained how Saul acquired his expertise in the complex, labyrinthine world of money laundering. This is not taught in Law School!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.