Better Call Saul (S6E012) - "Waterworks" - 8/8/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S6E012) - "Waterworks" - 8/8/22

Old 08-09-22, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S6E012) - "Waterworks" - 8/8/22

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I've been really down on the last couple of episodes, but this was a real return to form for me. Even the Jesse cameo was handled in a much better way.

My only real complaint was about the scene at the drugged guy's house. I couldn't decide if Jimmy was being stupid or really wanted to get caught. He was taking big unnecessary risks. And then the reaction of the cab driver just felt forced. I understand why he panicked, but you're a cab driver. You drive for a living. You'd think you could take that turn a little better, even in a frantic state. Plus, with no siren or even movement from the cop car, why run the stop sign and guarantee getting pulled over, even without the accident. Maybe we'll get a little more that explains it. If not, it felt lazy.

It's like I am fine with where they wound up but think it could have been handled a little cleaner on how they got there. Once they did get there, it was interesting to see how quickly Jimmy slipped right out of Jimmy or Gene and right back into Saul. The scene with Carol Burnett was really strong. You could basically see the battle between Saul and Jimmy playing out. If she hadn't said what she did and brought back out Jimmy, she could have been in real trouble.

All roads seem headed to jail and perhaps one last moment between him and Kim, but I'm sure there will be some curveballs coming.
I was under the impression Jeff crashed intentionally to help Saul escape. Maybe I was wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by nickdawgy:
majorjoe23 (08-09-22), whotony (08-11-22)
Old 08-09-22, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

On the re-watch it occurred to me the slow reveal of Jesse behind the column mirrors the one in Breaking Bad with Walt when he has his last conversation with Skyler.

With the Gene stuff they've definitely gone in a direction I wasn't expecting at all. Instead of growing and turning his back on the scamming he just embraced it like a drunk falling off the wagon. Instead of setting him for a bit of redemption there's no humility or remorse, lashing out angrily in the phone call, the reckless behavior at the house and the way he seemed ready to throttle Marion. That was a stellar moment and showed the brilliance in casting Carol Burnett with her familiarity and appeal, someone you worry for in that situation. She played it perfectly. Kim's life felt like something out of Fargo. Might seem boring but a helluva lot better than seeing someone's brains get blown out. Great hour. Can't wait for the finale but sad to see the show end.

The following 2 users liked this post by philo:
Bandoman (08-10-22), uteotw (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I was under the impression Jeff crashed intentionally to help Saul escape. Maybe I was wrong.
That's what I thought as well. The cops weren't leaving so he created a distraction. Little did he know, Gene was not just stealing this guys information for identity theft. Part of me is wondering if this was all part of Gene's plan. Jeff somehow gets caught and Gene gets to play Saul again by proxy. Then the damn laptop ruined his plan.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 403 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That fits right in the time line. Saul calls Kim on Nov 12, so just a few days later, as portrayed on the show.
And November 12th is Jimmy's birthday. So his calls to Francesca and Kim and neither acknowledged it. And then Kim has to go celebrate a coworkers birthday right after getting off the phone with Saul.

The Black and White is very fitting when you think about how boring their lives are now. Kim used to watch classic films with Jimmy and now she's getting her mental stimulation doing upside down puzzles while her "yeah.......yeah.........yeah" boyfriend watches reality tv.
majorjoe23 (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 403 Likes on 284 Posts

Old 08-09-22, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,780 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Originally Posted by philo View Post

With the Gene stuff they've definitely gone in a direction I wasn't expecting at all. Instead of growing and turning his back on the scamming he just embraced it like a drunk falling off the wagon. Instead of setting him for a bit of redemption there's no humility or remorse, lashing out angrily in the phone call, the reckless behavior at the house and the way he seemed ready to throttle Marion. .
Remember that the first episode of S6 is titled Wine and Roses. The film Days of Wine and Roses is about a couple (Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick) who both have a dangerous alcohol addiction. Jack gets clean, but Lee just can't. Eventually Jack has to leave her because she is so addicted and self destructive. It's pretty clear that Jimmy and Kim are both scam addicts and only Kim is able to kick the addiction, which drives them apart. So the falling off the wagon analogy is spot on.
Old 08-09-22, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 260 Likes on 187 Posts

That was a great episode and really showed how low Gene has sunk, he was going to smash an urn on the cancer patient to get away and seemed about ready to strangle Carole Burnette with the phone cord before he decides to press the button and run.

I guess my hopes for a Kim series just got dashed as watching her update a web page is not gonna cut it. I loved the courthouse call back to the client getting the shirt and tie from the public defender while Kim waits for the elevator. So many amazing moments in the show, as others mentioned the color from the screen being the only color in the Gene timeline, I will admit I expected a Wizard of Oz to flash to full color at that moment as if a trance was breaking. Amazing it is actually a callback. I know some folks have been down on the last few episodes but I think we are looking at a near-perfect series.
Old 08-09-22, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 288 Likes on 188 Posts

The only redemption I can see for Saul is to take the fall for Kim in some way, going to prison so that she can be set free. Maybe he can say something to her to alleviate her of her massive guilt so she can be free and live the rest of her life.
Old 08-09-22, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Perhaps I'm not remembering something obvious. Curious if anyone knows how Gene's alias tipped off Kim that he was on hold waiting to speak with her.
Old 08-09-22, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 90 Posts

Has there ever been a more poignant automated parking lot attendant?
The following 6 users liked this post by Bill Needle:
andicus (08-09-22), Bandoman (08-10-22), BuckNaked2k (08-09-22), Deftones (08-09-22), majorjoe23 (08-09-22), rennervision (08-09-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-09-22, 10:32 AM

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision View Post
Perhaps I'm not remembering something obvious. Curious if anyone knows how Gene's alias tipped off Kim that he was on hold waiting to speak with her.
In Season 2, Viktor St. Clair and Gisele St. Clair are the aliases they use to con the financial advisor.

The following 5 users liked this post by dex14:
BuckNaked2k (08-09-22), Deftones (08-09-22), Jay G. (08-16-22), majorjoe23 (08-09-22), rennervision (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 570 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Originally Posted by badlieut View Post
That's what I thought as well. The cops weren't leaving so he created a distraction. Little did he know, Gene was not just stealing this guys information for identity theft. Part of me is wondering if this was all part of Gene's plan. Jeff somehow gets caught and Gene gets to play Saul again by proxy. Then the damn laptop ruined his plan.
You're probably both right. I briefly wondered that, but I didn't think that made much sense either. Wouldn't you want to draw the cops away from the scene - at least a little bit? It just seemed like a strange move in many ways.
Old 08-09-22, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 260 Likes on 187 Posts

one thing I really don't like is how much the character Jeff changed from the original character to this one. The Jeff we saw the first time would have rammed the cop car and then driven off, not sped off in an uncontrolled panic and that is the only way I can see the drive-off as an uncontrolled panic just trying to get away from the scene.
Old 08-09-22, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
After the episode I searched for Albuquerque and Con Man on Ask.com, and was a little disappointed they didn’t set up anything there.
Old 08-09-22, 11:27 AM

You're probably both right. I briefly wondered that, but I didn't think that made much sense either. Wouldn't you want to draw the cops away from the scene - at least a little bit? It just seemed like a strange move in many ways.
No way that was intentional. He just panicked and freaked out.
Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
one thing I really don't like is how much the character Jeff changed from the original character to this one. The Jeff we saw the first time would have rammed the cop car and then driven off, not sped off in an uncontrolled panic and that is the only way I can see the drive-off as an uncontrolled panic just trying to get away from the scene.
This bothered me as well. Totally different vibe and behavior.
Are we to assume that Jeff used Saul as the defense attorney in Albuquerque that Marion paid so much for? If so it's weird it was never mentioned. If not, why didn't Jeff use him? He certainly knew who he was.
BuckNaked2k (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
No way that was intentional. He just panicked and freaked out.

This bothered me as well. Totally different vibe and behavior.
Are we to assume that Jeff used Saul as the defense attorney in Albuquerque that Marion paid so much for? If so it's weird it was never mentioned. If not, why didn't Jeff use him? He certainly knew who he was.
My guess is Marion picked the attorney, likely by calling ABQ information, since based on her newfound computer usage she wouldn’t have Googled it.

Or maybe m Jeff would have had the same thought as Jesse, knowing who Saul was but not willing to risk his freedom based on a guy with funny ads.
Old 08-09-22, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 502 Likes on 358 Posts

It seemed perfectly in line with everything. It's kinda clear that Saul called him and told him to crash the car. His waiting by the phone for Jeff to call and the conversation about the situation and consequences were all planned. Where Saul fucked up is talking to Marion and letting it slip that he knew the laws in Omaha weren't like Albuquerque. It's so small and subtle.. just like when he slipped and let out Lalo's name instead of DeGuzman to the prosecutor.
majorjoe23 (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 11:40 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Such a wonderful episode. These last few Gene episodes are great noir throwbacks and are fun to watch for film nerds like me. Set pieces, camera angles, use of light and shadow, etc. The color reflecting in Gene's glasses was indeed a great shot, but my favorite shot of the episode was Kim at the airport with "Alaska" and "Frontier" signs overhead. Moments later, she encounters Jesse. Great stuff.
majorjoe23 (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 11:57 AM

Even the write ups and reviews for the episode are undecided on the car crash. Some chalk it up as a freak-out, others wonder if it was intentional.
My take is that Saul was so careless and reckless during this break in that he wouldn't mastermind a diversion in the middle of it. It just doesn't fit with his current state of mind at the time. And no way Jeff does that crash on his own volition. He was scared and confused. An amateur, and we know what Mike says about amateurs in the game.
Old 08-09-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

My take is that Jeff freaked out and tried to make a run for it. He's not the brightest bulb anyway. Gene couldn't risk this wild card possibly singing to the cops about Saul Goodman being in town and the identity-theft ring in exchange for a deal....no way.

clckworang (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
It seemed perfectly in line with everything. It's kinda clear that Saul called him and told him to crash the car. His waiting by the phone for Jeff to call and the conversation about the situation and consequences were all planned. Where Saul fucked up is talking to Marion and letting it slip that he knew the laws in Omaha weren't like Albuquerque. It's so small and subtle.. just like when he slipped and let out Lalo's name instead of DeGuzman to the prosecutor.
That all sounds perfectly in line except for Jeff himself. He does not strike me as the type willing to get arrested for someone else. He seemed far more like a weasel than that. And if he did intentionally hit that car, why did he do it like that? Why didn't he barrel straight into it rather than doing a wild turn that hit the back of the car?

I saw it as Jeff panics and crashes into the car while trying to flee, and when he calls, Jimmy goes into full Saul mode. He knows the cops have nothing on the guy for burglary and really plays it up. He's feeling so sure of himself and his ability to get through any mess that his guard goes down and he makes that comment to Marion.

Interesting to see how this scene has split people. I think a reasonable explanation can be made for either case. I didn't watch Talking Saul. I wonder if it was addressed.
Old 08-09-22, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 143 Posts

Why did Kim dye her hair dark? We know she's a natural blonde. She didn't need to disguise herself in any way.

I was hoping Kim would meet up with Ed Begley Jr. when she went back Albuquerque.
Old 08-09-22, 01:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 606 Likes on 520 Posts

sublime episode. i knew Gene's meandering around cancer guy's house was going to lead to something, but had no idea it would lead to another discovering Gene is Saul. Burnett is really doing a great job in this bit role. wouldn't be surprised if she gets nominated and win for best guest star at Emmy's next year. so much for my ratings stunt theory as she is just crushing it. truly amazing writing and i can't believe there is only one left. that is sad.
Old 08-09-22, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Why did Kim dye her hair dark? We know she's a natural blonde. She didn't need to disguise herself in any way.
I took that to be part of her total makeover. New hairstyle, new color. New wardrobe, new shoes.

I was hoping Kim would meet up with Ed Begley Jr. when she went back Albuquerque.
Clifford Main works in Santa Fe. No reason really to be in Albuquerque now that the Sandpiper case is done.
Old 08-09-22, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know a lot of people here really like Alan Sepinwall. He described the scene as slapstick caused by a panicked Jeff in his recap. At least I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it that way.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.