Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S6E10) - "Nippy" - 7/25/22

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S6E10) - "Nippy" - 7/25/22

"throw me off as much as the outdoor scenes in the "Nebraska winter" did. That may have been snow but clearly wasn't winter since all the trees still had a full canopy of leaves."

Could've been Oct and an early dusting of snow. Some tree's did have missing leaves.
Old 07-26-22, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm still chewing on this episode and trying to figure out what I thought of it. While I was watching, the heist seemed absurd to me. As in, it felt like the show was being intentionally farcical. I mean, it was a shitty, risky, overly complicated plan, all for some clothes, which have to be close to the bottom of the list in terms of what fences are looking to move. I guess I can buy the two dipshits being taken in and I know there have been some pretty stupid burglaries in real life, but it all just felt well below Gene/Saul/Jimmy. Surely there were ways for him to put the two dumbasses on the hook for a major crime that would be both simpler and have less a chance of failure. I guess maybe the intent was to show that Gene/Saul/Jimmy has lost his mojo, but it sure felt like the 'show's' position was that he'd orchestrated and pulled off a pretty clever plan and I just didn't buy it at all. Honestly, I think this was the first episode of BB or BCS that I finished and thought that it was kind of dumb. Hopefully it bounces back next week, as I think the show's rarely been less than brilliant before this week's episode.
Old 07-26-22, 04:55 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Ehhh I get it tho. It was dumb, but it was also minor and in the wheelhouse of things Gene could control without raising flags or bringing too much attention. He mapped out the security routine and had it down to a science. He's just sitting there BSing about football. Jeff does all the risky stuff. Yes Gene goes down if Jeff gets caught, but Gene was pretty sure he could control security if anything came up. And he did.

What else could he really get them into where flags wouldn't raise? He can't get in on the real game in Nebraska or he loses his cover. He came up with a dumb but controllable plan to fool some small time yokels into thinking they were in the game. It wasn't brilliant. But it was effective and fit the story.
Old 07-26-22, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
A 50 year old chemistry teacher that couldn't pay his mortgage, and a year later he had a stack of cash the size of a volkswagen.

I'm going to miss this show.
The episode was worth watching for that line alone.
Old 07-26-22, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdtv00
"throw me off as much as the outdoor scenes in the "Nebraska winter" did. That may have been snow but clearly wasn't winter since all the trees still had a full canopy of leaves."

Could've been Oct and an early dusting of snow. Some tree's did have missing leaves.
Based on the college football talk this episode took place in October 2010.
Old 07-26-22, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I have to imagine this episode is going to have a payoff. We didn’t need a full episode just to show us Jimmy still has it. Somehow this is going to expose him I think.
Old 07-26-22, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I have to imagine this episode is going to have a payoff. We didn’t need a full episode just to show us Jimmy still has it. Somehow this is going to expose him I think.
Maybe his public defender will be....Kim!!!
The following users liked this post:
bunkaroo (07-26-22)
Old 07-26-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It's been so long since I watched Breaking Bad that I can't remember what Saul is actually wanted for. Was it just laundering money for Walt and Jessie?
Old 07-26-22, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Also I am never going to look at a Cinnabon the same again. The sights and sounds of Jerry eating them with a knife/fork must have been a chore for Gene to sit through..
I wonder if that was a paid promotion, because they really made Cinnabons look repulsive.
Old 07-26-22, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I just finished this. It was interesting seeing more of present day "Gene" to an extent and his exploits. But, honestly for me, I thought this episode was kind of boring and a little of slog to get through.

uteotw (07-27-22)
Old 07-27-22, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

It was definitely a different change of pace episode, but I did like getting to spend some time with Gene and see how Jimmy can still pull off an elaborate scheme if he's motivated enough. The crime was stupid and risky, but the payoff was pretty smart.
Agree that the recast was a big whiff. Will be interesting to listen to the Insider Podcast of this one and hear what they were thinking.
Now to see if Alan liked it....
Old 07-27-22, 01:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Obviously not intentional* but i saw a comment elsewhere that the recasting actually works pretty well if you think of it from Jimmy's changed perspective between the scenes.

In the earlier clips (in the cab, and then being approached by the guy in the mail, making him say the slogan) Jimmy is far more paranoid and defensive... He perceives the cab driver as a threat to his safety... He's intimidated by him, and thinks he was a guy who was sent to find him.

But instead, in Nippy, Jimmy sees that the guy is actually just kind of a doofus. Turns out he's not a real threat at all, and wasn't sent by anyone more nefarious to track him down.
So in that regard, the recasting kind of works... because Jeffie is NOT the tough guy he seemed to be before. He's just a dork that Jimmy can take advantage of.
​​​​​
it's reaching, sure, but I like it

*or was it????

Last edited by Dan; 07-27-22 at 01:34 AM.
majorjoe23 (07-28-22)
Old 07-27-22, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Agree that the recast was a big whiff. Will be interesting to listen to the Insider Podcast of this one and hear what they were thinking.
I suspect that since the original actor only appeared in one scene in the previous season that they didn't have under contract and he was unavailable for his larger appearance this season when it came time to film it.

Game of Thrones had a similar issue where minor characters were frequently recast (Dickon Tarly, The Mountain, Beric Dondarrian, Rickard Karstark).
Old 07-27-22, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00

It almost looked like infrared photography for a minute, which would have been a very interesting artistic choice.
Old 07-27-22, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I don't think we're done with this storyline.

On the surface it looks like Saul got one over on the cabbie, but I think there's more to Carol Burnett's character than meets the eye. She's not fooled by Gene's act. This episode may seem anticlimactic and out of place, but when it's all over it's going to all fit together.
Old 07-27-22, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I suspect that since the original actor only appeared in one scene in the previous season that they didn't have under contract and he was unavailable for his larger appearance this season when it came time to film it.
That's almost exactly what Alan Sepinwall said in his recap. There's no contractual obligation to return and commitments were made presumably with We Own The City.
I get it. It's a bummer though - - for a show with so many returnees from two different series, having our first recasting, especially in a pivotal role, and so close to the finish line, is a major bummer. Compiled by the fact that the new actor has a totally different vibe.
Originally Posted by Jason
I don't think we're done with this storyline.

On the surface it looks like Saul got one over on the cabbie, but I think there's more to Carol Burnett's character than meets the eye. She's not fooled by Gene's act. This episode may seem anticlimactic and out of place, but when it's all over it's going to all fit together.
That's a really interesting take. Alan (and I) felt that this episode was a tidy bow on the Gene character. Never occurred to me that there's more story to tell there. But who knows? I wouldn't mind more Carol Burnett, she was great.
Old 07-27-22, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It's a bummer though - - for a show with so many returnees from two different series, having our first recasting
I think you're forgetting Kaylee.
Old 07-27-22, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by windom
I think you're forgetting Kaylee.
Kaylee never counts!
Spiderbite (07-31-22)
Old 07-27-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's almost exactly what Alan Sepinwall said in his recap. There's no contractual obligation to return and commitments were made presumably with We Own The City.
I get it. It's a bummer though - - for a show with so many returnees from two different series, having our first recasting, especially in a pivotal role, and so close to the finish line, is a major bummer. Compiled by the fact that the new actor has a totally different vibe.

That's a really interesting take. Alan (and I) felt that this episode was a tidy bow on the Gene character. Never occurred to me that there's more story to tell there. But who knows? I wouldn't mind more Carol Burnett, she was great.
And it could be the end of it. The best part of these shows (Saul and BB) is they kept you guessing right up till the very end. The only thing that would disappoint me would be going through the next episodes only to have Jeff come to the Cinamon out of nowhere and shoot Gene. That would be a cheap shot (no pun intended).

And it would be a shame to not have any more Carol Burnett, as she was great in this episode.
Old 07-27-22, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

I think it establishes that Jimmy is still known as Saul by some people and not just as Gene in Nebraska. And since this is the Gene timeline, I have a feeling (and this is pure speculation) that during Walt's trip from New Hampshire back to New Mexico, he might have made a detour to Nebraska.
Old 07-27-22, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just finished this. It was interesting seeing more of present day "Gene" to an extent and his exploits. But, honestly for me, I thought this episode was kind of boring and a little of slog to get through.
Yeah this, exactly. Other than showing he can't really change, this was awfully boring and I could not fast forward through all those chewing scenes fast enough. Just frustrating with so few eps left.
DJariya (07-27-22)
Old 07-27-22, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I think it establishes that Jimmy is still known as Saul by some people and not just as Gene in Nebraska. And since this is the Gene timeline, I have a feeling (and this is pure speculation) that during Walt's trip from New Hampshire back to New Mexico, he might have made a detour to Nebraska.
But the Gene timeline takes place long after Walt's death. It looks like Gene's been established in Nebraska for a while, and Walt was only in NH for a few months.
Old 07-27-22, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
But the Gene timeline takes place long after Walt's death. It looks like Gene's been established in Nebraska for a while, and Walt was only in NH for a few months.
Not saying it couldn't have happened while Jimmy was getting settled in as Gene. Jimmy went to Nebraska before Walt went to New Hampshire and maybe one of the other things Walt bought from Gilbraith was info on Jimmy's new identity and location. Walt was looking to tie up loose ends at that point, maybe he figured Saul was one of them? Just trying to think how Walt and Jesse would fit into the story.

It's not known if Walt and Jesse are appearing in this together or as individuals.
Old 07-27-22, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Well, Jeff was from Albuquerque and recognized Saul from the TV ads in Albuquerque, so it was not part of his identity in Nebraska, just that his cover was blown by someone that he crossed paths with. He was on the run and his cover was blown but he decided to create a way he could stay by framing Jeff for the interstate crimes.

I suspect we get at least one if not all remaining full-color episodes that take place in the pre-BB timeline for the finale and we see him meet Walt / Jessee
Old 07-27-22, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on some timeline checking, Walt is dead during the time of this episode, but only for a month or so. Also, "Gene" has only been in Omaha for about 6-7 months.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.