Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 (Netflix) premieres 8/3/22

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
re: Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 (Netflix) premieres 8/3/22

I don't follow. Are you saying that there was a pre-existing version of this series that included that story and Netflix edited it out, or are you saying that they just never mentioned it in this series?
Old 08-05-22, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't follow. Are you saying that there was a pre-existing version of this series that included that story and Netflix edited it out, or are you saying that they just never mentioned it in this series?

Yes, the first part. Unless I'm mistaken and the doc that aired on HBO first isn't this one that aired on Netflix:

https://www.hbo.com/movies/woodstock-99-peace-love-rage

Some of the very exact ground and footage was used in what looked to be verbatim. Even the interviews with the same folks are identical
Old 08-05-22, 11:06 PM

They are completely different documentaries. Different director and crew. Just covering the same material.
Woodstock 99 Peace Love and Rage
And
Trainwreck : Woodstock 99
Old 08-06-22, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I was aware of Woodstock 99 but that lineup was of no interest, so I didn't really pay attention to any of it. But wow, the organizers were delusional. That MTV interview with them during the festival, what kind of blinders did they have on? Then the press conference, sheesh..."Only about 50 knucklheads..." causing all that trouble. Yeah, ok. What a group of a-holes (Lang was delusional to the end apparently).

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 08-06-22 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-06-22, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts

When I made the first post I could of swore the title was called Cluster***k. Maybe it was changed at the last minute.
Old 08-06-22, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
They are completely different documentaries. Different director and crew. Just covering the same material.
Woodstock 99 Peace Love and Rage
And
Trainwreck : Woodstock 99
Then the first one there covers the death of the young man. The second one does not.
Old 08-08-22, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

I wonder how many women ended up pregnant or had to get a abortion because they went to this Cluster***k: Woodstock '99?
Old 08-08-22, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I watched all three episodes over the weekend and really enjoyed it. That was definitely not my scene, having aged out of the popular culture about a decade earlier. I remember being offered free tix and a ride, but had no interest in going. Glad I took a pass.
Old 08-08-22, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

They should have titled this OK Boomer instead of Trainwreck.
Old 08-09-22, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Is it odd that I find myself shaking my head at the folks trying to blame the musical acts like Limp Bizkit and Red Hot Chili Peppers for the complete and chaotic breakdown of Woodstock 99? As someone said in the second or third episode of the docu series (I got sucked into watching it all last night), blaming Limp Bizkit is like being angry at a bear for acting like a bear. Many of these new metal/rock/etc. type acts seem to have put everything they had into providing an entertaining set for the audience. Kudos to that, the pampered artists were not the problem.

I am curious as to why the organizers of this event did not do any jail time. The mud mixed in with the sewage from the porta potties, so gross. Also, all of the cat calls towards the woman attendees and even the female musical acts to show us your tits, jeebus, I am slightly embarrassed to be part of the same species as those knuckleheads in the docu series. The woman who was raped in the van, all of the women who were basically assaulted as they crowd-surfed, and then to hear one of the attendees that helped narrate the docu series say on camera when she was young that she would attend another Woodstock event, yeesh.

In 1999 I was about 27/28 years old, so maybe I would have still been in the age bracket that would have gravitated towards this event but for a variety of reasons I never got the itch to attend something like this music festival and thank goodness for that.

Yeah, Michael Lang was criminally delusional about how Woodstock 99 ultimately sorted itself out.

3 days under broiling heat and they took away folks water bottles and charged at least $4 for water, if the audience was a bunch of boomers who could afford overpriced concert tickets to see an act that was big in the 80s/90s (or earlier decades) that is touring today in a fancy arena, okay...$4 for water now or then is still ridiculous but I get that certain venues can get away with being greedy, but during the Woodstock 99 event the lack of water was beyond dangerous for the folks that attended and for an event that was supposed to be about peace and love and kindness towards your fellow beings the greed on display by the folks responsible for concessions is not what you expect to experience at Woodstock.

Finally, the lack of security (Peace patrol, what a joke), the lack of folks emptying out/replacing the porta potties on a regular basis, and no one dealing with the trash, whiskey, tango, foxtrot. Throw 250,000 thousand folks onto the hot tarmac, and just ignore that they are going to generate a lot of waste (biological/paper goods), and need lots of hydration, seriously, what the hell.

Old 08-09-22, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Finished last night. Pretty entertaining.

I'm not one that would have partaken in the destruction but I will say the organizers got what they deserved. Delusional fuckwits.

Do we know how much they raked in? I wanted a follow up question to the guy that downplayed what he made because of the chaos. Ask him how much he made AFTER Woodstock 99 on merch and media.
Old 08-09-22, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Is it odd that I find myself shaking my head at the folks trying to blame the musical acts like Limp Bizkit and Red Hot Chili Peppers for the complete and chaotic breakdown of Woodstock 99? As someone said in the second or third episode of the docu series (I got sucked into watching it all last night), blaming Limp Bizkit is like being angry at a bear for acting like a bear. Many of these new metal/rock/etc. type acts seem to have put everything they had into providing an entertaining set for the audience. Kudos to that, the pampered artists were not the problem.
Yeah, I've never really blamed the bands themselves though I also don't really buy the RHCP saying it was a coincidence they played fire while the fires were raging (though I gather there is some truth to them having said they were playing out after talks with the Hendrix family as a tribute). As for Limp Bizkit playing Break Stuff and the crowd going bonkers...really, that's on the crowd and from even Day 1 the writing was on the wall on where a lot of the idiots attending were going. The heat, food/water prices, etc. propelled an already jacked up crowd. The Korn set was an indication though Bush did well to bring the group back down. By day 2 though there wasn't much turning back.

I recently was front row at Rage Against the Machine and it was one of the most intense shows I've ever seen...in a good way. The crowd was jacked but not violent. There was the usual crowd surfing (including a guy in a wheel chair that came back a few times) but nothing that got way too out of hand. I mention it because the bands with the thrashing music played multi-shows over their careers. Woodstock 99 was just a bad vibe for other reasons.
Old 08-09-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As an interesting comparison, look up KultureLand and KingstonFest here in Canada this past weekend. That went off the rails due to shit or
Old 08-09-22, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

And then there was that one idiot who justified the actions by saying in a group of 250,000, that crimes happen. Fuck him. There's a level of safety and security that you expect when bringing people together of 1/10 that size, let alone 250k.
Old 08-09-22, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Do we know how much they raked in?
According to Heavy.com:

"The Huffington Post reported in 2014 that Woodstock 99’s production costs were $38 million, and that there were 400,000 festivalgoers who paid $150 for tickets. That means organizers raked in $60 million on ticket costs for a profit margin of $22 million.

. . .

Organizer Michael Lang recently died with a net worth of around $10 million."
Old 08-09-22, 12:46 PM

bluetoast, yeah I cringed when the guy said well, in any average city of 250,000 folks you would not be surprised to learn that a handful of women were assaulted/raped, just a very tone deaf and crass thing to say.

View, so they could have thrown a few million towards actually paying for folks who would regularly empty the trash, or pull up in one of those tanker trucks with a hose that periodically empties the Andy Gump's, or for actual security guards (even if they were not armed, because the festival goers had to be laughing their asses off when they saw folks with shirts that said Peace Patrol on them, if a bunch of folks who were actually wearing outfits that made them look like Security for the event were part of the crowd that might have helped calm things down).

Seriously, eff the promoter of this for cheaping out and it is just BS that he did not get sued to the point where he was not being interviewed from a cardboard box for the Netflix docu series.
Old 08-09-22, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably a good idea Woodstock 50 didn't happen:

The Disastrous Woodstock 50: What Went Wrong? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
Old 08-09-22, 05:58 PM

Yikes, had no clue Lang wanted another bite at the Woodstock Apple in 2019, and it sounds like his submission to City Officials was a joke, without adequate plans for enough security, etc., for such a large event. I do suspect that many folks looked at Lang's proposals and thought to themselves, seriously, the dude did not learn anything from the disaster that was Woodstock 99 and wanted to pretty much recreate the 99 with different musical acts.

It sounds like he learned nothing from 99 and there were no good plans to handle the flow of traffic (vehicle / foot traffic), make sure there was enough water (potable and otherwise) to accommodate a large and crowded multi-day event, no great plans for enough security, and of course you have to wonder if like 99, there were no plans in writing to hold vendors accountable who were supposed to handle waste services (garbage pick-up / Porta Potty maintenance), yeesh.
Old 08-14-22, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 (Netflix) premieres 8/3/22

I finally watched this documentary last night. I thought it felt much more raw and disturbing. The stories that stood out to me was the ABC news reporter going to the medical area and saying it felt like a triage unit. I liked the more on the ground type of videos included and it had much less political commentary compared to the HBO documentary which was a good thing to me.
Old 08-14-22, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Does this show add anything we didn’t already get from the one on HBO?
Old 08-14-22, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Does this show add anything we didn’t already get from the one on HBO?
The show doesn't really change. It's just how you present it. Imagine if Spielberg and Tarantino made a movie about the Super Bowl. The game is basically the same but you'll get different movies.

I say watch this one too to get a good overall look at the trainwreck.
Old 08-15-22, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I finally got around to watching this one. It's another good look at the event. I think it's worth checking out even if you've seen the other documentary, though it hits some similar beats.

As for the bands, I can see where one could put some blame on them - but not criminal or anything. I just mean that some of their sets certainly helped feed into that energy and wasn't trying to pull it back. Of course, look at the bands you chose to book. That's sort of their sound. It's aggressive. You can't blame the bands for that when you chose to book them.

I remember really wanting to go to the 94 Woodstock, but I didn't have any interest in this one.
Old 08-15-22, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I watched all 3 eps last night.
It was okay.

I think the hbo version was much better.
This one didn’t really add anything as far as information and the HBO one went deeper into some things. This one didn’t mention anything about someone dying.
Old 08-16-22, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if any of the naked people are peeved and have some explaining to do to their kids.
Old 08-19-22, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
bluetoast, yeah I cringed when the guy said well, in any average city of 250,000 folks you would not be surprised to learn that a handful of women were assaulted/raped, just a very tone deaf and crass thing to say.
Yeah. “Not that many rapes, considering…” is just about the worst thing you could possibly say on camera. The filmmakers had to have looked at each other when he said it and whispered “Did you get that?”.

I thought the doc was fine but not as good as the HBO one. Didn’t really add anything and lacked some of the perspective and social commentary of the HBO one. But hey, there was more nudity, so that was interesting at least.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.