Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Patient (Hulu) - S: Carell, Gleeson - from the creator of The Americans - premieres 8/30/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Patient (Hulu) - S: Carell, Gleeson - from the creator of The Americans - premieres 8/30/22

Old 07-14-22, 04:15 PM

Received 3,058 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Domhnall Gleeson channels Hannibal Lecter in the first trailer for “The Patient,” the upcoming FX limited series co-starring Steve Carell.

Created by Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg, who previously worked together on the acclaimed FX drama “The Americans,” “The Patient” focuses on the relationship between Alexander Strauss (Carell), a well-regarded psychotherapist, and his new patient Sam Fortner (Gleeson). When Sam takes Strauss hostage, he reveals himself to be a serial killer, and asks the doctor to cure him of his murderous tendencies. As Strauss reluctantly begins treatment, the experience unearths demons and traumas of his own, blurring the line between the patient and therapist. The trailer begins with a normal therapy session between the two before fast-forwarding to the hostage situation, with Strauss trapped via chain in Sam’s house.

“Successful therapy requires a safe environment, without anything like fear hanging over every session,” Carell says in the trailer.

“The Patient” also stars Andrew Leeds (“Barry,” “The Dropout”) as Strauss’ estranged son, David Alan Grier (the upcoming “The Color Purple,” “Dad Stop Embarrassing Me!”) as his old therapist, Linda Emond (“The Gilded Age,” “The Unforgivable”) as his mother Candance and Laura Niemi (“This Is Us,” “Those Who Wish Me Dead”) as his recently deceased wife. Fields and Weisberg write and executive produce the series with Carell, Caroline Moore and Victor Hsu. Chris Long also executive produces, and will direct the show’s first two episodes. Kevin Bray and Gwyneth Horder-Payton also helm episodes of the show. FX Productions produces the series.

Carell’s latest “Minions” film, “The Rise of Gru,” hit theaters July 1. Gleeson is set to play former White House counsel John Dean in “The White House Plumbers,” an upcoming HBO miniseries about the Watergate scandal, later this year.

“The Patient” premieres Aug. 30, and will run for 10 episodes on Hulu.
Old 08-30-22, 07:25 AM

Re: The Patient (Hulu) - S: Carell, Gleeson - from the creator of The Americans - premieres 8/30/22

The first two episodes are out today.
Old 08-30-22, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: The Patient (Hulu) - S: Carell, Gleeson - from the creator of The Americans - premieres 8/30/22

I'm in. I like this kind of stuff and I like Carell in serious roles (not so much in funny roles) and I like Gleeson. The first two episodes were a great start.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-31-22 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-30-22, 08:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 560 Likes on 481 Posts

Terrific so far, but episodes so short. They fly by with such the great acting by them two. Each ep end, I was like no. Really well done so far.
Old 08-31-22, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts

I will watch once a few more episodes pile up. Preview seemed to give a lot away however...
Old 08-31-22, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Terrific so far, but episodes so short. They fly by with such the great acting by them two. Each ep end, I was like no. Really well done so far.
Yeah super short episodes. I thought it was okay.
Weird that this is the second psychiatrist - patient relationship drama from a streamer this year. And both heavily focus on the Psychiatrist's Jewish background. And both of them cast a very not-Jewish Judd Apatow favorite actor as the lead. Were Seth Rogan and Jonah Hill that busy?
Old 08-31-22, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 691 Likes on 559 Posts

FWIW, the episode runtimes get longer as the series goes.
Old 08-31-22, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah super short episodes. I thought it was okay.
Weird that this is the second psychiatrist - patient relationship drama from a streamer this year. And both heavily focus on the Psychiatrist's Jewish background. And both of them cast a very not-Jewish Judd Apatow favorite actor as the lead. Were Seth Rogan and Jonah Hill that busy?
Are you talking about Shrink? Paul Rudd is Jewish.
Old 08-31-22, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Are you talking about Shrink? Paul Rudd is Jewish.
Oops you're right. Never knew that. Of course Will Farrell isn't but Rudd played the Shrink.
Old 09-20-22, 05:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 560 Likes on 481 Posts

This show is heart poundingly addictive. It’s some great acting and chilling story. Both leads are fantastic. Each ep leaves me gasping for air. So good.
Old 09-21-22, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts

real nice seeing the serious side of Carrell. I think he is an underrated actor. The other lead is good but I hate what they did with his hair for this show, he has been in Star Wars movies, was on the series Run and a bunch of other things but he was hard to place with what looks like an awful wig.
Old 09-22-22, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

I didn’t know that was Gleeson. I guess he lost weight too?
Old 09-22-22, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 691 Likes on 559 Posts

Doesn't really look like it, he was super skinny in Ex-Machina as well. His hair is darker in this though which makes him look a bit different.