Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Light & Magic (Disney+) -- docuseries about ILM -- premieres 7/27/22

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 11:04 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts
Light & Magic (Disney+) -- docuseries about ILM -- premieres 7/27/22

Anything is possible.

Light & Magic, a six-part series about Industrial Light & Magic, starts streaming July 27 on Disney Plus.

Granted unparalleled access, Academy AwardŽ-nominated filmmaker Lawrence Kasdan takes viewers on an adventure behind the curtain of Industrial Light & Magic. Learn about the pioneers of modern filmmaking as we go on a journey to bring George Lucas’ vision to life. These filmmakers would then go on to inspire the entire industry of visual effects.

The series is directed by Lawrence Kasdan, and the executive producers are Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, Justin Wilkes, Lawrence Kasdan, Kathleen Kennedy and Michelle Rejwan.

All episodes of “Light & Magic” premiere on July 27, exclusively on Disney+.
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (07-07-22)
Old 07-07-22, 11:48 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: Light & Magic (Disney+) -- docuseries about ILM -- premieres 7/27/22

that looks really good.
Old 07-03-23, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Light & Magic (Disney+) -- docuseries about ILM -- premieres 7/27/22

I binged this today and it was coincidentally my second Lawrence Kasdan directed program I watched this week. I watched Wyatt Earp on BD this past Wednesday and that was excellent, as well.

Light and Magic was really good and entertaining. It was neat that they were able to get some long lost alumni to speak about the good times they had while they worked there. In the first couple of episodes they talked with John Dykstra, which I was surprised participated, since Lucas sued him when he went off to do Battlestar Galactica using the same technology Dykstra invented for Star Wars. They did this whole thing where after SW was completed and they were crewing up for Empire, some folks would not be coming back. They made it seem like some folks went their separate ways willingly, which was a bit disingenuous. Then toward the latter episodes they had Spaz Williams on and I had to google what happened with him and it appears he left ILM due to burning his bridges by going up against the higher ups at the company. I guess he had a grudge against Dennis Muren, because Muren would take credit for a ton of gigs and innovations he had no part in. They made it seem like Phil Tippet was given a ceremonial consultant gig as opposed to already having his own studio and incorporating computer technology into his stop motion productions.

Outside of those editorial narrative choices, it was a fun documentary.