Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S1E08) -- "The Elysian Kingdom" -- 6/23/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-23-22, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,768 Likes on 1,301 Posts

THE ELYSIAN KINGDOM — The U.S.S. Enterprise becomes stuck in a nebula that is home to an alien consciousness that traps the crew in a fairy tale.

Written by Akela Cooper & Onitra Johnson. Directed by Amanda Row.

Judging by the promo, this looks more whimsical in tone

Old 06-23-22, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,331 Likes on 960 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S1E08) -- "The Elysian Kingdom" -- 6/23/22

Started out as a light-hearted episode, and ended on a rather sad note...
Old 06-23-22, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 161 Posts

Not a big fan of these fantasy type episodes, and thought the acting was atrociously corny for most of the cast. But glad the doc's daughter's situation was resolved. That seemed like a story-line that was going to start dragging over the series otherwise. Lovin' the series so far, although I'd rate this as my least-favorite.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bronkster:
Kennyx (06-25-22), Red Dog (06-24-22)
Old 06-24-22, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've never been a fan of these role playing episodes; the cast always seem to be having more fun than anyone else. And has the show even been around long enough to justify this kind of story? The first dud of the series in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Red Dog (06-24-22)
Old 06-24-22, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It wasn't awful or anything. I kind of thought "oh no" a little bit for an entire episode where no one is themselves. Likely the weakest of then eight episodes.
Old 06-24-22, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 156 Likes on 136 Posts

Interesting reaction to this episode, as I thought this was one of the better episodes (and that is saying something, considering how few have aired). I thought it was a good way to close out the storyline with the doctor's daughter, but also indeed bittersweet. I did quickly say to myself that well before the show ended I needed to brace myself because the entity in the nebula was going to let the doctor know that there was a way for his daughter to live a happy life, but it was going to involve the sacrifice of having to let her go.

Also, I watch The Ready Room with Wil Wheaton (Wheaton can be a bit much, but the behind the scenes info is fun to learn about) and they spent a lot of time talking about the costumes for this episode, and it was neat to see how much work went into some great costumes (even the guards in the throne room of Uhura's evil Queen character were outfitted in custom costumes).

Finally, many of you on this site probably assumed as much, but yes, the dog in this episode was the actresses pet. In the future, if I was doing a re-watch of the series I would not skip this episode.

Old 06-24-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 578 Likes on 362 Posts

I enjoyed this episode. I'm glad the Doctors daughter thing is resolved now so it doesn't continue to be a thing. Overall it was funny and had a nice ending.
Old 06-24-22, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 716 Likes on 513 Posts

It was ok. As a father, I find it hard to believe he would give up finding a cure on his own so easily. Yes, she was cured, but at the expense of losing her. But I agree, glad that story line is over.
Old 06-24-22, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

I liked it, even though it was pretty corny (especially La'an, but I got a kick out of how different she was here). Nice to have a fair amount of screen time for Ortegas, and she and Pike were fun sidekicks to the King.
Old 06-25-22, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 856 Likes on 578 Posts

Ugh...this ep was shit. I fell asleep about 20minutes in. I had mentioned a few weeks ago i hated M'Benga's Buffer storyline; and though im glad it's over, having it resolve in this stupid ass Fantasy ep was trash. I frankly would have preferred she was given a worthy death since the resolution reminded me of Sisko becoming a wormhole god which sucked.

I just feel like so far SNW hasn't treated M'Benga in a good way. But i shouldn't be shocked since Star Trek loves killing or taking away people in the lives of the Black characters.
Old 06-25-22, 07:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

didnt like it... extremely corny.

Gave it the benefit of the doubt given they hit a homerun with that Spock freaky friday episode, but I thought this was by far the worst episode of the series so far (albeit the only one that missed the mark).
Old 06-25-22, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts

The doctor did what now? Did he give up his daughter to an alien life form he knew nothing about?
Old 06-25-22, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, he was just like, "Welp, see you later!"
The following 2 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
Bronkster (06-25-22), Deftones (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 578 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
The doctor did what now? Did he give up his daughter to an alien life form he knew nothing about?
Well it did cure her and I think he felt he was out of time to find a cure for her so he was going to lose her anyway. At least this way she was happy and healthy. Also I suppose the life form could have just taken her but did give the choice. So I think it wasn't quite as "meh go ahead I got other stuff to do anyway" as all that.
Old 06-25-22, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 520 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162 View Post
I've never been a fan of these role playing episodes; the cast always seem to be having more fun than anyone else. And has the show even been around long enough to justify this kind of story? The first dud of the series in my opinion.
I loved that very aspect of this episode. It's a lot of fun when the cast gets to play a different character. I see what you mean as the show has only been around for 8 episodes but I think they've earned it. They've done such a great job of endearing each of these characters to the audience that IMO they can pull off this kind of episode so early in it's run. STD could never pull this kind of episode off even 4 seasons in. I'm continually amazed at how they are taking TOS tropes and somehow modernizing them. This story is straight out of TOS playbook. Pike, La'an, Uhura and Ortegas all of them were so great and really chewed the scenery. It was hilarious even seeing Hemmer get into laarping. I think Spock was the only one I was disappointed in. He was much too Spock like. Plus isn't he a telepath? Why couldn't he fight the alien as well?

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Interesting reaction to this episode, as I thought this was one of the better episodes (and that is saying something, considering how few have aired). I thought it was a good way to close out the storyline with the doctor's daughter, but also indeed bittersweet. I did quickly say to myself that well before the show ended I needed to brace myself because the entity in the nebula was going to let the doctor know that there was a way for his daughter to live a happy life, but it was going to involve the sacrifice of having to let her go.

Also, I watch The Ready Room with Wil Wheaton (Wheaton can be a bit much, but the behind the scenes info is fun to learn about) and they spent a lot of time talking about the costumes for this episode, and it was neat to see how much work went into some great costumes (even the guards in the throne room of Uhura's evil Queen character were outfitted in custom costumes).

Finally, many of you on this site probably assumed as much, but yes, the dog in this episode was the actresses pet. In the future, if I was doing a re-watch of the series I would not skip this episode.
I agree. I thought it was a great episode. I like these ship in a bottle type shows and love how they used the ship as the setting. The set dressing and the costumes were quite well made. Definitely seemed more movie budget then TV budget.. That's hilarious about the dog. I hope it makes another appearance. I wish they added a line on if that was someone's existing dog or if the nebula entity made it.

I'm really liking Mbenga and unlike a lot of others liked the story arch of his daughter. I really bought in to it and can relate to the story of a man and his daughter and doing everything he can to save her. I kind of wish it went along for just a little bit more. Like maybe have a few more failed attempts at healing her but I'm glad this isn't something they're stretching out for too long. The ending was very Star Trek. Very bittersweet. I think it played well but the tone of this episode took a pretty jarring shift. It was like Qpid and The Visitor mashed together.

Shout out to the set designers at the beginning of the episode. I like seeing him use mortar and pestle, flasks and mixing real liquids and powders. So many times in Trek the medical/science side of things is portrayed as very abstract. You don't even see the medicines in the hyposprays. Everything is portrayed as very digital. The tools he was using were developed hundreds of years ago and we still use them today. Makes sense that they would use them in the 23rd century. And then with the futuristic tech of the automatic force field. That was a nice touch.
The following users liked this post:
Wolf359 (06-26-22)
Old 06-27-22, 07:09 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

This wasn't bad, even if it wasn't my favorite episode. They can't all be gems. I did really enjoy Anson Mount's portrayal of a cowardly courtier, he was hilarious.
Old 06-27-22, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 316 Posts

Fun episode. I always enjoyed the holodeck episodes of TNG and this fit right in. Only annoying character was the security officer playing the princess. I know it was the point but it was still bad.

I'm glad the daughter storyline is wrapped up. I didn't want to see that go on for too long and just knowing that she was stuck in limbo most of the time was kinda creepy. Hemmer was awesome.
Old 06-27-22, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I think an episode like this is always going to be love/hate. I am more on the love side of the equation. Lots of great little touches and a good ending. Suspect the last couple episodes are pretty serious and go back to the Gorn.
Old 06-27-22, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't entirely know why I did not just give up on the episode and skip it but I wish I did. The worst episode by far and as a father of two children I can't imagine letting my kid go with an unknown energy being. I have to actually assume we will see the daughter again when she is somehow in trouble and needs the enterprise to rescue 'something.' I've cut the show some slack with the freaky Friday story and the other child sacrifice episode but this comes off as very weak writing and not as clever as they hoped.
Old 06-27-22, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

I wasn't crazy about this one either, but happy to see they wrapped up the "daughter in the transporter" thing - which I guessed they'd have to do either this season or next, as the actress who plays the daughter is obviously going to age.
Old 06-28-22, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 920 Likes on 696 Posts

Not the strongest episode but some fun stuff.

I also started to see the ending coming with the daughter and it seemed a little quick but it’s how a TOS episode would have done it too.

A lot of episodes here have resolutions that feel right out of the TOS playbook.
Old 06-29-22, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Hemmer and the amount of cleavage were the only redeeming things about this episode. And not in that order.