Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bear (Hulu) - S: Jeremy Allen White, Ayo Edebiri, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Abby Elliott

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Bear (Hulu) - S: Jeremy Allen White, Ayo Edebiri, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Abby Elliott

Old 06-28-24, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts
Re: The Bear (Hulu) - S: Jeremy Allen White, Ayo Edebiri, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Abby Elliott

Finished it yesterday and it was much better than the first two seasons, IMO. I didn't spend all that time hate watching it like I did the first two seasons. It was cool to see some of the culinary cameos, as well. Rosio Sanchez was in it and I've been to two of her establishments when I visited Copenhagen a few years ago. She's up to 3 establishments now , with a 4th one opening this Fall in Copenhagen. Hija de Sanchez are the spots. Her business got some more major props last week when Reese Witherspoon showed up and got her grub on.

BTW, all of that above is technically spoiler-free, because it has nothing to so with the storyline. It's all incidental. FYI
Old 06-28-24, 07:53 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,015 Likes on 849 Posts
Re: The Bear (Hulu) - S: Jeremy Allen White, Ayo Edebiri, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Abby Elliott

I think it’s safe to spoil by now.
Old 07-01-24, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 303 Likes on 222 Posts

I enjoyed every episode but didnít love any of them like I did say the christmas episode, forks, or the preorder fuck up episode from season 1. The closest was probably the Tina episode.
Old 07-02-24, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,069 Likes on 848 Posts

Yeah, it isn't as tense and involving but it's still quality.
Old 07-03-24, 01:54 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

I've been bingeing S3 and am through E6 - my favorite of the season thus far. For me, this season is a bit of a letdown from the first 2 and the frequent cameos have become somewhat of a distraction at this point. Someone else pointed out that the first couple seasons with the sandwich shop, the chaos was about satiating the customers and with the shift to fine dining, it's become about satiating the chefs. Not a mark on its quality, just an interesting observation.
Old 07-03-24, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 658 Posts

To put this season in relation to the subject matter, I came for the main course but wound up filling up on bread. There was just too much filler. Could've been accomplished in about 6 episodes.

The first episode felt like a clip-show combined with backstory all done overly-artistic. Then there's a whole episode dedicated to Tina, and a whole episode for Nat being in labor. There wasn't enough moving forward.
The whole Cena/brothers/haunting thing was just stupid. The whole fighting "you get fucked. No, you get fucked. Fuck you, there!. No, fuck you, there!". Just tiring.

I think the show needs new writers to evolve the show.
Old 07-04-24, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
To put this season in relation to the subject matter, I came for the main course but wound up filling up on bread. There was just too much filler. Could've been accomplished in about 6 episodes.

The first episode felt like a clip-show combined with backstory all done overly-artistic. Then there's a whole episode dedicated to Tina, and a whole episode for Nat being in labor. There wasn't enough moving forward.
The whole Cena/brothers/haunting thing was just stupid. The whole fighting "you get fucked. No, you get fucked. Fuck you, there!. No, fuck you, there!". Just tiring.

I think the show needs new writers to evolve the show.
Glad I am not the only one.

My wife and I just finished episode 5 last night and we are finding it dreadfully dull, utterly pretentious and just plain obnoxious. It is like the writers got high on all their press and reviews for the first two seasons and decided to triple down on everything that makes a show suck.

I want to quit it now and quit wasting my time, but my wife wants us to finish this season. If things don't turn around, I am out. People are acting or being written so outlandishly that it just takes me completely out of the show. I find my mind just wandering or wanting to hit the fast forward button. The ridiculous first episode should have been my clue where they were planning on taking this season...into la-la-land. Plus, it seems they took any likeability for almost all the characters and made them no fun to watch or care about their lives.

And don't get me started on the "let's quick edit-cut a group of actors in a circle so they can deliver really snappy, unrealistic, insipid, try to be funny/dark dialogue back and forth" like those awful procedural crime shows like Criminal Minds that I abhor.

All this show has me wanting is for their restaurant to fail. I hope that is what the writers were going for.
Old 07-04-24, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

Oh boy, I love the irony of it all. People are not liking S3, while everyone was fellating S1 & S2 like it was the second coming of television. I guess folks really do love seeing dysfunction as opposed to dysfunctional people becoming less so.

The way some of you are feeling about S3 is how I felt about S1 & S2.
Old 07-04-24, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Oh boy, I love the irony of it all. People are not liking S3, while everyone was fellating S1 & S2 like it was the second coming of television. I guess folks really do love seeing dysfunction as opposed to dysfunctional people becoming less so.

The way some of you are feeling about S3 is how I felt about S1 & S2.
I can't say I was a huge fan of season 1 to be honest. It took me about a year or more to complete it. I just didn't care.

I did enjoy Season 2 and thought they were going somewhere.

But Season 3 just comes across as overall pretentious to the nines. Everything about it. The choices made in the directing, writing, camera angles, editing, etc. Just everything comes across as soooo self-important.

I was actually wondering if it was like this in season 1 and 2 and somehow I didn't see it or overlooked it for some reason. But it couldn't have been as bad as Season 3 so far or I felt I would have at least noticed or been bothered by it.

But all three seasons are getting great reviews so what do I know?
Old 07-04-24, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I was actually wondering if it was like this in season 1 and 2 and somehow I didn't see it or overlooked it for some reason. But it couldn't have been as bad as Season 3 so far or I felt I would have at least noticed or been bothered by it.
It wasn't nearly as bad in S1 and S2. They had to rely more on that for S3 because they were severely lacking story lines.

S3 was mostly just how Carm drives everyone nuts and is digging a hole for himself while constantly thinking of Claire, getting locked in the freezer and when he worked with Chef Winger. Everything else was so minor and irrelevant.

Other things that irritated me:

- Neil brings out the broth to the diners and makes it in front of them and then brings it back to the kitchen. I can forgive him zoning out and bringing it back to the kitchen, but even after everyone pointed it out - he still didn't understand why bringing it back made no sense? Really?
- Did we need another pregnancy cliche where the person's in labor at the worst possible time and/or place? It's either that, or the husband has a hard time getting to his wife during labor. Used to death. And really, no one was reachable except the mother? And after a whole episode dedicated to that, we only saw Nat for like 2 seconds in a montage 2 episodes later (the season finale)?
- How many times did they show someone dropping something in such a short span of time? Is everyone that incompetent/uncoordinated?
- The mentor being cruel just to make the mentee better is another cliche. And it was pretty stupid for Carm not to realize what Chef Winger was doing.

I find the whole "food as art" thing pretentious. I like a good presentation - but this is just ridiculous (I guess that's not a criticism of the show - more for "fine-dining"). And Carm is such a perfectionist with this food, yet has no trouble stinking up the food with his cigarette smoke from his clothes/breath (before he quit smoking).

S2 was the better of the seasons - less yelling and the story moved forward with them opening the restaurant. But S3 just wallowed in the crapulence of the characters.
Old 07-04-24, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Definitely didn’t like this season as much. The Bernthal scene was the highlight, but Sydney is incredibly annoying despite saying very little. Wouldn’t miss her character at all. Never seen such a 180 in my book for a co-lead turning into nothing.
Old 07-04-24, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts

I saw a tweet that said S3 of The Bear is what happens when you have a 3 season story arc and then you are asked to make it four seasons long. That's what it feels like to me at the midway point. I still like these characters and these performances, but geez, nothing is happening. And it feels very weird and different than S2 which really was a journey towards opening night.
Old 07-05-24, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

So many fucking flashbacks. Christ. Am I the only one who doesn't care about that?
Just move the story along.
Old 07-08-24, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 769 Posts

Completely boring waste of a season. The only forward movement in time we got was a montage of nonsense. If you can't come up with storylines for a new season, don't start shooting a new season.
Old 07-08-24, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,069 Likes on 848 Posts

I hear season 4 will have a "flash sideways"

I enjoyed the season.