DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers (Hulu) -- Docuseries produced & directed by Antoine Fuqua (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/655626-legacy-true-story-la-lakers-hulu-docuseries-produced-directed-antoine-fuqua.html)

DJariya 06-21-22 03:46 PM

Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers (Hulu) -- Docuseries produced & directed by Antoine Fuqua

“Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers” captures the remarkable rise and unprecedented success of one of the most dominant and iconic franchises in professional sports. Featuring exclusive access to the Buss Family and probing, revealing interviews with players, coaches, and front office execs, this 10-part documentary series chronicles this extraordinary story from the inside – told only by the people who lived it.

Unlike Winning Time, this docuseries is supported by the Lakers and by the Buss family. As you can see in the trailer Jeanie Buss is prominently featured.

I didn't really care that much for Magic's Apple documentary. That was very biased. I'm sure there will be a little redundancy with this one. But, it appears this one covers Showtime, the Kobe and Shaq era as well as the LeBron era. Of course I'll watch this, but I do hope they talk about the bad years.

alfredog1976 06-22-22 12:41 PM

Re: Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers (Hulu) -- Docuseries produced & directed by Antoine Fuqua

Looking forward to this

devilshalo 06-23-22 01:13 AM

Re: Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers (Hulu) -- Docuseries produced & directed by Antoine Fuqua

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14121570)
But, it appears this one covers Showtime, the Kobe and Shaq era as well as the LeBron era. Of course I'll watch this, but I do hope they talk about the bad years.

I really don't understand why the Bryant/Gasol years don't get the recognition it deserves. When Pau came over in the lop-sided trade (thanks to West), they went to the finals 3 consecutive times in the first 3 years, winning 2 championships. That's pretty fucking impressive. Especially with head cases like Odom and Bynum. Hopefully, it's addressed in this.

DJariya 06-23-22 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 14122250)
I really don't understand why the Bryant/Gasol years don't get the recognition it deserves. When Pau came over in the lop-sided trade (thanks to West), they went to the finals 3 consecutive times in the first 3 years, winning 2 championships. That's pretty fucking impressive. Especially with head cases like Odom and Bynum. Hopefully, it's addressed in this.

I’m positive it will be included. It wouldn’t be a complete documentary without it. After all, those teams went to the Finals in 3 straight years and won championships 15 and 16. It was Kobe proving he could win without Shaq.

Sadly the only interviews they would have with Kobe would be previously recorded archive footage.

DJariya 08-01-22 02:55 PM

New Trailer

Looking forward to this.

DJariya 08-15-22 12:29 AM

Episodes 1 and 2 are now up.

DJariya 08-15-22 03:05 AM

I watched both episodes tonight. I know many in the sports form don't like the Lakers, but I think you can still watch this as a sports documentary like The Last Dance and still enjoy as a part of NBA history.

There is a little repetition in episode 1 from what Winning Time covered and from what the Magic Johnson series covered. But, they did add more to it They completely skipped over Magic's 1st game in 1979 when they beat the Clippers on Kareem's sky hook. That was already covered in Winning Time and Magic's documentary.

Episode 2 focuses a lot on the Buss family. They also cover Pat Riley taking over and then going into the Lakers/Celtics rivalry. I had no idea that Chick Hearn was the Assistant GM back in those early days.

Also, Jeanie Buss and Linda Rambis have had a long friendship and business partnership even before she married Kurt. They showed that Linda "Zafrani" actually worked for Playboy. She was a hottie back then. I think Jeanie was hotter with the darker hair. And they got a lot of good interviews.

TomOpus 08-15-22 09:30 AM

It's probably good they did this series now while most are still alive and memories still there. I think Jerry Buss is the only main person who's passed.

Jeanie was a cute brunette. Which is my preference. She's not bad now, though. Bunny Linda. Oh yeah.

DJariya 08-15-22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 14148308)
It's probably good they did this series now while most are still alive and memories still there. I think Jerry Buss is the only main person who's passed.

Yeah Buss died 9 years ago, Magic just turned 63 and most of his teammates from that era are 60 or older. Riley is in his 70s. It was now or never to do this kind of series. They still have 30 plus more years of history to cover in the next 8 weeks.

DJariya 08-22-22 04:02 AM

Episode 3 is now up. It was an interesting episode. I had no idea that Jerry Buss was in serious financial trouble post 1987 title. Jeanie and Linda Rambis along with the sale of the Forum naming rights basically saved the team.

Also it focused on the back to back titles and the failed three peat attempt. I remember the 1988-89 season where they got swept by the Pistons. Once they lost Byron and later Magic, they were screwed. And that team didn’t have much depth. The bench was terrible.

Riley said he was pretty much done after that series. That was pretty much the end of Showtime. Next episode will probably focus on Riley’s last year, hiring Mike Dunleavy and then losing in the 1990 Finals to the Bulls and of course the end of Magic’s career.

devilshalo 08-22-22 03:56 PM

I didn't realize Buss created Prime Ticket.

DJariya 08-22-22 03:59 PM

Yeah I think I read that he did create it, but later sold it when it was later renamed Prime Sports. And then it was eventually sold to FOX in 1996.

DJariya 08-22-22 07:46 PM

Oh and I was also surprised to hear in episode 3 that Jerry Buss traded James Worthy to the Mavericks for Mark Aguirre and Roy Tarpley without Jerry West knowing. I didn't follow the Lakers regularly until 1988-89. That deal was later cancelled.

That would have been a disaster, especially with Tarpley's drug abuse and later being banned for life. Aguirre was still productive for a few more seasons. But, Worthy was basically done by age 30.

DJariya 08-29-22 03:07 AM

:lol: Through 4 episodes I guess I'm pretty much talking to myself. If you all liked The Last Dance about the Bulls, give this docuseries a watch. It's really well done and really well directed by Antoine Fuqua.

Biggest reveal about the new episode was that Jerry Buss nearly bought the Dallas Cowboys, but the deal fell through because of a press leak and Buss' reputation.

I knew about Jeanie's failed marriage to volleyball player Steve Timmons. He later married the Tool Time girl from Home Improvement.

The Magic retirement stuff has been shown countless times, but I thought it was very effectively edited, especially how they put in an audio recording of Buss talking about how much he cared about Magic since he was 19 and then they do a slow transition to Magic reacting to that recording and him tearing up and then the episode ended.

I wish they never made that Magic Apple TV series. I feel like that took away some of the interest level of this series, which is way better IMO.

alfredog1976 08-30-22 12:13 AM

This series has been great so far, my only complaint is we have to wait 1 week between episodes

devilshalo 08-30-22 12:45 AM

How many episodes is this series? I expect the next episode to go thru the remaining Dunleavey year, Magic's return, and Del Harris, Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones before acquiring Shaq and Kobe.

DJariya 08-30-22 12:52 AM

There are 6 more left.

Yeah they should cover the “Lake Show” era in the mid 90s. I wonder if they will talk to Ceballos, Van Exel and Jones. Ceballos was hospitalized with Covid last Fall, so not sure if they would have been able to talk to him depending on when this was filmed.

alfredog1976 08-30-22 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14155897)
There are 6 more left.

Yeah they should cover the “Lake Show” era in the mid 90s. I wonder if they will talk to Ceballos, Van Exel and Jones. Ceballos was hospitalized with Covid last Fall, so not sure if they would have been able to talk to him depending on when this was filmed.

Nick the Quick appeared in the trailer

devilshalo 08-30-22 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14155897)
There are 6 more left.

I hope they talk to Campbell, Rice and Reid, too.

alfredog1976 09-05-22 11:05 AM

Another great episode

EDDIE! EDDIE! EDDIE!

Glad to see Eddie Jones interviewed for this.

Didn't know the Lakers told the Hornets to pick Kobe.

What a joke the '96 draft was (of course easy to say now). Raptors, Clippers, Grizzlies, Warriors, Cavs, Mavericks, Pacer, T'Wolves, Celtics all shit the bed on that one.

Should have been:
1. Kobe
2. Allen Iverson
3. Ray Allen
4. Steve Nash
5. Peja Stojakovic

DJariya 09-05-22 05:58 PM

Yeah the newest episode was really good. Really great hearing from Eddie Jones, Nick the quick and even Del Harris. Bummer they couldn't get Cedric Ceballos. He was also a big part of that "Lake Show" era.

I was rotfl when they talked about Magic's failed tenure as coach and when they said he took the team outside for a chat during practice and he said something like.....You see the sun and the nice weather? Well, some of you mutha fuckers aren't going to be here next year. :lol: I knew back then that Magic hated coaching.

I did notice they completely skipped over Worthy's retirement in 1994.

Looks like the next episode will start the Shaq and Kobe era. Such a shame we will only hear from Kobe in archived interviews.

I know the Bulls documentary in 2020 The Last Dance was far more popular because it was on ESPN and was airing when everyone was at home. But, I think this series is just as good.

TomOpus 09-05-22 09:14 PM

I forgot that Jeanie Buss was in Playboy.

devilshalo 09-05-22 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 14159305)
I forgot that Jeanie Buss was in Playboy.

I didn't.. I'd still smash that today. :hump:

alfredog1976 09-12-22 11:33 AM

Kobe borrowing Nick Van Exel’s MJ VHS tapes and never returning them :lol:

This episode brought back some memories, I went to the championship parade for this one, they had it at the Staples Center parking lot (now LA Live). So many people there, it was crazy

DJariya 09-19-22 03:29 AM

Episode 7 tonight was a depressing episode because it covered the break up of Shaq and Kobe in 2004. And also the end of Phil’s first stint with the Lakers. They got into how really bad it was. I was surprised that they got GP to talk. Karl Malone I’m not surprised didn’t participate. I heard he was a prick on that team. I won’t get into some of the rumors.

There’s only three episodes left. They have to get through the bad years with Kobe as the leader, the 2009-10 back to back titles and then Kobe’s decline, retirement, and death. And then there’s the LeBron era, which I assume will be covered in the finale.