Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers (Hulu) -- Docuseries produced & directed by Antoine Fuqua

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers (Hulu) -- Docuseries produced & directed by Antoine Fuqua

Old 09-19-22, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers (Hulu) -- Docuseries produced & directed by Antoine Fuqua

“Get the f*ck out of my locker room!” 😂
Old 09-19-22, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers (Hulu) -- Docuseries produced & directed by Antoine Fuqua

Originally Posted by DJariya
Episode 7 tonight was a depressing episode because it covered the break up of Shaq and Kobe in 2004. And also the end of Phil’s first stint with the Lakers. They got into how really bad it was. I was surprised that they got GP to talk. Karl Malone I’m not surprised didn’t participate. I heard he was a prick on that team. I won’t get into some of the rumors.

There’s only three episodes left. They have to get through the bad years with Kobe as the leader, the 2009-10 back to back titles and then Kobe’s decline, retirement, and death. And then there’s the LeBron era, which I assume will be covered in the finale.
Also Dr. Buss’ death, the Buss family drama and Jeanie’s takeover of the organization
Old 09-26-22, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 710 Likes on 518 Posts

As depressing it was to watch Eps. 7... and the break up of the dynasty.. the deep dive into Bynum was really sad. Also, it was sad that, while there have been so many interviews with Kobe even after his retirement, it would have been something else to have heard him comment now about this.
Old 09-26-22, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
As depressing it was to watch Eps. 7... and the break up of the dynasty.. the deep dive into Bynum was really sad. Also, it was sad that, while there have been so many interviews with Kobe even after his retirement, it would have been something else to have heard him comment now about this.
Had no idea about the many revelations about Bynum. I always had a negative view of Jim Buss and this made him look worse.
Old 09-26-22, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Had no idea about the many revelations about Bynum. I always had a negative view of Jim Buss and this made him look worse.
I didn't know that he came with all that injury baggage.. but looking at that draft, there weren't many big men to take at the 10 spot. Bogut & Frye was it.. Turiaf was their second pick. Not sure who they could have taken to include in a trade. They were stuck with Bynum at that point and found a way to make it work. I would have liked to know how much West was involved with the Gasol trade and what were his intentions because it was certainly lop-sided. For someone that they are portraying as one of the greatest basketball minds, this was a deal. Not that I'm complaining because it brought 2 championships.
Old 09-26-22, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

West did get a Gasol in the deal, maybe he saw potential there with his brother. But yeah, still lopsided deal. I still remember Stephen A. Smith saying after the trade, they got Pau for "NOTHING" (referring to Kwame Brown)
Old 09-26-22, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He wasn't wrong.. Kwame was terrible.

Old 09-26-22, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He wasn't wrong.. Kwame was terrible.

Forgot about Crittenton, guy is in the slammer right now
Old 09-26-22, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,551 Likes on 2,543 Posts

I saw episode 8 at Midnight today. Yeah I didn’t realize all the negativity and baggage that came with Bynum. I knew he was a raw talent, but I didn’t realize he barely played high school ball. Actually Bynum did develop into a pretty decent center later in his career. But he’s been completely MIA from the spotlight after the Lakers dumped him to the 76ers years ago. I wasn’t surprised to not see him here. I am glad that Odom participated.

One minor thing they glossed over. D Fish wasn’t with the Lakers during a portion of this time period. He left to play with the Warriors after the 2004 Finals and later joined the Jazz. He only rejoined the Lakers just prior to the 2007-08 season when they reached the Finals.

Whoever was the Grizzlies GM that period got ripped off. That was probably one of the best trades that Kupchak ever pulled off getting Gasol.

But yeah this film is sorely lacking having a present day Kobe share his thoughts. But then again, who knows if this series would have been made if Kobe was still alive.

I’m going to assume episode 9 next week will cover the last championship Kobe won in 2010, Dr. Buss’ death and the disastrous years including Jeanie’s hostile takeover.

and then the finale will cover Kobe’s decline, his retirement, LeBron, Kobe’s death and then the Covid bubble title.
Old 09-26-22, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't forget Phil's second retirement, the whole Chris Paul debacle that Stern quashed, Lamar going through depression when his name was on the trading table along with Pau. Metta World Peace.
Old 10-03-22, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting that they don't even mention the Chris Paul trade. What if Stern did not veto that trade and it went thru? Would it have painted Jim and Mitch in a different light?
Old 10-03-22, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Episode 9 focused mostly on the Buss family dysfunction. It sounds like there is still a lot of resentment. I wonder if Jeanie even speaks to Jim and John now.

I started to tear up a little when they said Magic and Pat Riley visited Dr. Buss on his death bed.
Old 10-03-22, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting that they don't even mention the Chris Paul trade. What if Stern did not veto that trade and it went thru? Would it have painted Jim and Mitch in a different light?
Surprised they skipped over that but also surprised they skipped over those shit contracts he gave to Mozgov/Deng

Next episode is going to be hard to watch…
Old 10-10-22, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Loved it. Great series and a great ending. I really hope the Lakers get number 18. But it’s unlikely to be this year. They jammed in a lot in that hour plus.

I did think they spent a little too much time on the extra Buss sibling “Lee” and go figure she was actually a full blood relative, but given up because the Busses were dirt poor when she was born.

I’m a little surprised Frank Vogel participated considering how he left the team. Maybe this was filmed before he was canned.

The Kobe death stuff was emotional. I’m not surprised Vanessa passed on talking about it.

overall this was a really well produced series.
Old 10-10-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow did not see that coming relating to the Buss Family. I have 2 kids and would never think of putting them up for adoption, no matter the circumstances. Dr. Buss does not look good with these revelations. I'm glad Lee was able to forgive.

As expected, the Kobe part was hard to watch. Still can't believe he's gone.

Agreed, great series, hopefully another episode with banner number 18, but yeah, not happening this season.
Old 10-12-22, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

Wow did not see that coming relating to the Buss Family. I have 2 kids and would never think of putting them up for adoption, no matter the circumstances. Dr. Buss does not look good with these revelations. I'm glad Lee was able to forgive.
My natural mom gave me up because she knew I would be able to have a better life with another family. I only wish I could've let her know that she made the right decision.

A parent must make the decisions for their child regardless how heartbreaking it is for the parent. You can't base decisions on what MIGHT happen in the future.
Old 10-12-22, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
My natural mom gave me up because she knew I would be able to have a better life with another family. I only wish I could've let her know that she made the right decision.

A parent must make the decisions for their child regardless how heartbreaking it is for the parent. You can't base decisions on what MIGHT happen in the future.
I get that, but the Buss family did end up with a boat load of money. As a parent, wouldn't you do everything in your power to get that child, your blood, back? At least make an attempt (and I don't know what they did, but I highly doubt anything was done). Instead, Dr. Buss lived a lavish lifestyle with a revolving door of women. At the very least, let the kids you do have in your life know there's a Buss sibling running around in the world. And he couldn't even do that, too much shame, I guess. And you know what, YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT YOU SHOULD FEEL SHAME!!!
Old 10-12-22, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

I get that, but the Buss family did end up with a boat load of money.
You missed my point. You don't know the future. You only can see what the situation looks like NOW. You have to make decisions NOW.

You're seeing it in 20/20 hindsight. If only that was possible in real life.