TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E06) - Finale - "Part VI" - 6/22/22

Old 07-07-22, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 134 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E06) - Finale - "Part VI" - 6/22/22

Kenobi opened up Anakin's left side.
Tano opened up the right side.

But it took Anakin's own son to fully reveal him.
The following users liked this post:
milo bloom (07-07-22)
Old 07-07-22, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,052 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post

Kenobi opened up Anakin's left side.
Tano opened up the right side.

But it took Anakin's own son to fully reveal him.
It's like poetry; it rhymes.

(Seriously, I love it. )
Old 07-07-22, 05:04 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 181 Posts

I bet they are kicking themselves about having the Obi-Wan/Maul duel already played out in animation if they are going to explore a S2.
Old 07-08-22, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

Patience definitely pays off. Damn, this was fucking amazing!!!!!

‘Star Wars’ Fan Edits ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Into a Two-Hour Movie to Fix ‘Awkward Pacing’

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/obi...ie-1235311307/
Old 07-08-22, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 262 Likes on 187 Posts

Hope they can get this on youtube or something. All the links I tried were unavailable due to overuse. Very curious to see an edited version.
Old 07-08-22, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
Hope they can get this on youtube or something. All the links I tried were unavailable due to overuse. Very curious to see an edited version.
If you have Google Drive you can add it to one of your folders and it will be instantly available.
Old 07-08-22, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 758 Likes on 461 Posts

Obi-Wan Kenobi...
Obi-Wan...
I haven't heard that name in, like, 8 years...
Granted the last time I hadn't heard it it was 10 years so, you know, longer...
But...I digress...
Old 07-08-22, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
If you have Google Drive you can add it to one of your folders and it will be instantly available.
Took me a while to figure out how to do that. Thanks!

For the less tech-savvy like me these days there is a sort of triangle-shaped icon in the upper right part of the screen that allows you to add a link to your account. Dragging and dropping/ copy paste don't work.
Old 07-08-22, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

That film is canon for me. Disney should be completely embarrassed.
Old 07-08-22, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Obi-Wan Kenobi...
Obi-Wan...
I haven't heard that name in, like, 8 years...
Granted the last time I hadn't heard it it was 10 years so, you know, longer...
But...I digress...
You know, it also makes whiney Luke in A New Hope look even wimpier. Leia should have been far more distraught after Obi-Wan was killed by Vader yet Luke was the one yelling like a bitch and needing to be comforted back on the Millennium Falcon…by Leia.
Old 07-08-22, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Not saying this is related, but I tried saving that video to my Google Drive earlier. Now tonight someone tried to reset my Apple ID which happens to be that same Google ID. Could be coincidence but I’ve never had that happen before.
Old 07-09-22, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 145 Posts

So I'm guessing that Disney's plan is to use the actress that played baby Leia here to play grown up Leia in around 10 years when they remake the OT. They probably don't have to stick to the same kid that played Luke in this since he wasn't featured that much. If Jimmy Smits is lucky, they'll have some scenes of him just before he gets blown up.
Old 07-09-22, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by windom View Post
So I'm guessing that Disney's plan is to use the actress that played baby Leia here to play grown up Leia in around 10 years when they remake the OT. They probably don't have to stick to the same kid that played Luke in this since he wasn't featured that much. If Jimmy Smits is lucky, they'll have some scenes of him just before he gets blown up.

Having seen the sequel trilogy and lack of a plan for it, I think you have already given the idea more thought than a room full of Disney Imagineers. If this was a Marvel property I would guess you were dead on.
Old 07-09-22, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was still having trouble with the file and it looks like he moved it to a new location, I was able to download it with no problem. I Spoilered the link so that search bots don't grab it.

bunkaroo (07-12-22)
Old 07-09-22, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Not saying this is related, but I tried saving that video to my Google Drive earlier. Now tonight someone tried to reset my Apple ID which happens to be that same Google ID. Could be coincidence but I’ve never had that happen before.
How weird. Same thing happened to me. Someone tried to reset my Apple ID and password. I also clicked that link, but didn't download anything. Could be a coincidence or it could be that site is compromised.
Old 07-12-22, 10:33 AM

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

That 2.5 hr fan edit still sucks anyway. Still has all the stupid bits in it like Little Leia hidden in a trench coat, etc.

No amount of editing and restructuring existing scenes can fix it really. Only way would be a complete re-write.
bchbdaddy (07-13-22)
Old 07-12-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm wondering if it's worth it to spin the movie edit talk to its own thread.

I felt the movie version was significantly better than the series as it pulled out a lot of scenes that were not really important, redundant, or just dumb. It also minimized the trench coat bit and while not eliminating Riva it made her less central and less annoying with her single-mindedness search and kill mentality while simultaneously "hunting Darthr" It also kept the best bits with the flashbacks and dual scenes. I can't see myself rewatching the whole series as so much is a waste of time but I would be happy to watch this cut again.
Old 07-14-22, 11:55 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
How weird. Same thing happened to me. Someone tried to reset my Apple ID and password. I also clicked that link, but didn't download anything. Could be a coincidence or it could be that site is compromised.
just as another datapoint -- I also got that last night. I haven't visited the video / file mentioned nor have a google drive (that i know of). maybe it's dvdtalk that's compromised
Old 07-15-22, 06:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry for ranting again.

These SW shows are pretty mediocre standard as far as TV goes. Regardless whether SW is a cheesy space opera or not, they are incredibly poorly written and devised. Boba and Obi are prime crap. TM season 1 was pretty low bar too. It's not unreasonable to ask for a higher standard from SW TV. Especially when so many other shows out there, on much smaller budgets too, come up with very interesting stories, well written characters, and not farcical in terms of believability (eg the cave assault in Obi or the trench coat escape...just to name two).

SW under Disney and the new LFL is just getting more absurd and farcical. Force powers are a good example (marvel stupid now), but only one example of many other things.

Apart from Rogue One, which had grit, drama, adventure, and genuine intrigue/emotion, there's no sincerity or gravitas in everything else. The ST, Solo, or the shows. Getting worse over time.

Andor sounds promising, but it could be the last (?) chance to correct the wayward ship. If that ends up a crap-fest like Boba and Obi, I'm afraid there may not be much hope moving forward -- while ever the current regime heads are imposing conditions.

Namely, KK and the "woke" agenda (where women are perfect and don't rise thru adversity) and the anti-fan mentality where they deliberately mock canon etc.

Don't take me as being sexist/racist. I loved the female lead character of Jyn Erso. One of my favorite all-time SW characters. She had depth, soul, and rose thru adversity. Nothing wrong with a plethora of female characters, gay, of color, or male and white....as long as they're written as being like everyone else, fallible and with a lovable arc (irrespective good or evil)

Reva and Rey are crap characters. Rose is a crap character. Finn had potential to be a co-lead type of great character alongside Rey if both were written better. Even Poe is a shell of the "Han" swashbuckling type.

I'm fed up with SW, but I still hold on by the fingernails for a show/movie to be great and get me back on board. Andor maybe. Maybe the Old Republic era. Maybe that show about female Siths and acolytes, especially if they're written well, menacing/troubled/flawed.

Reva started off in the original writer's mind as such a character, but the new writers had to mess around with it and ended up making her ridiculous.
The following 5 users liked this post by xe.kilroy:
bunkaroo (07-15-22), candyrocket786 (07-20-22), Franchot (07-15-22), mikehunt (09-29-22), Rob V (07-15-22)
Old 07-15-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 758 Likes on 461 Posts

Give into your hate, Kilroy. Yessss....yessss......
The following 2 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
[email protected] (07-15-22), xe.kilroy (07-15-22)
Old 07-15-22, 10:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 776 Likes on 580 Posts

He ain't wrong on several points. I'm now on episode 4. I'll try and see the last couple this weekend.

One point I really agree on is that Rogue One was the last really good SW of all of the recent TV's and movies.
The following 2 users liked this post by E Unit:
candyrocket786 (07-20-22), xe.kilroy (07-15-22)
Old 07-15-22, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by xe.kilroy View Post
Sorry for ranting again.

These SW shows are pretty mediocre standard as far as TV goes. Regardless whether SW is a cheesy space opera or not, they are incredibly poorly written and devised. Boba and Obi are prime crap. TM season 1 was pretty low bar too. It's not unreasonable to ask for a higher standard from SW TV. Especially when so many other shows out there, on much smaller budgets too, come up with very interesting stories, well written characters, and not farcical in terms of believability (eg the cave assault in Obi or the trench coat escape...just to name two).

SW under Disney and the new LFL is just getting more absurd and farcical. Force powers are a good example (marvel stupid now), but only one example of many other things.

Apart from Rogue One, which had grit, drama, adventure, and genuine intrigue/emotion, there's no sincerity or gravitas in everything else. The ST, Solo, or the shows. Getting worse over time.

Andor sounds promising, but it could be the last (?) chance to correct the wayward ship. If that ends up a crap-fest like Boba and Obi, I'm afraid there may not be much hope moving forward -- while ever the current regime heads are imposing conditions.

Namely, KK and the "woke" agenda (where women are perfect and don't rise thru adversity) and the anti-fan mentality where they deliberately mock canon etc.

Don't take me as being sexist/racist. I loved the female lead character of Jyn Erso. One of my favorite all-time SW characters. She had depth, soul, and rose thru adversity. Nothing wrong with a plethora of female characters, gay, of color, or male and white....as long as they're written as being like everyone else, fallible and with a lovable arc (irrespective good or evil)

Reva and Rey are crap characters. Rose is a crap character. Finn had potential to be a co-lead type of great character alongside Rey if both were written better. Even Poe is a shell of the "Han" swashbuckling type.

I'm fed up with SW, but I still hold on by the fingernails for a show/movie to be great and get me back on board. Andor maybe. Maybe the Old Republic era. Maybe that show about female Siths and acolytes, especially if they're written well, menacing/troubled/flawed.

Reva started off in the original writer's mind as such a character, but the new writers had to mess around with it and ended up making her ridiculous.
I think it has nothing to do with wokeness or some sort of reverse sexism, its just a complete lack of vision lack of patience and complete lack of passion. It is just completely driven by marketing and money and the laziness to just mine the same material over and over. Rey if she was a man would have been the exact same character. The reality is that Star Wars is one GREAT movie, one very good movie with a brilliant idea, one good prequel and the rest range from mediocre to completely awful
xe.kilroy (07-15-22)
Old 08-10-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts

I finally watched all of these so can read this and comment. Much of what I thought has been covered.
  • Surely these people should know that a light saber to the belly does not kill, right? The number of people left for dead who quickly resurrect themselves is absurd.
  • The Reva character was dumb. But what really annoyed me was her going after Luke AFTER Vader (in theory) killed her. The motivation to do that just wasn't there or explained at all.
  • It wasn't mentioned in this thread, but maybe in one of the earlier threads: Leia and Luke are too young. They are supposed to be 10, but as the father of an 11 yo, I can tell you that they are both like 7, 8 tops. That just bugged me.

The general consensus in here, which I agree with, is that this is better than Boba but not close to the Mandalorian. One reason, as has been mentioned, is that so many scenes are lacking tension when you know the outcome. We know that Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Vader all survive. So the scenes are just about how they survive, not whether. In the Mandalorian, since none of the characters are in the movies, there at least is some tension.
Old 08-10-22, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the explanation for Leia being so wee and tiny is that in real life Carrie Fisher was pretty short IMDB lists her adult height as 5' 1" so they were trying to be accurate with her being shorter than average. I have to say for a child actress the girl playing Leia was pretty good and was not annoying like some child actors can be at times. Surprisingly she was born 6/2012 and actually is ten now but would likely have been 9 when filming happened.
Old 08-11-22, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I think the explanation for Leia being so wee and tiny is that in real life Carrie Fisher was pretty short IMDB lists her adult height as 5' 1" so they were trying to be accurate with her being shorter than average. I have to say for a child actress the girl playing Leia was pretty good and was not annoying like some child actors can be at times. Surprisingly she was born 6/2012 and actually is ten now but would likely have been 9 when filming happened.
Thanks. Based on what I read, she probably turned 9 during filming. Definitely younger looking than the 9 year olds in my kid's class. But I suppose my kid (now 11) has aged a lot in the last 2 1/2 years.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.