DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E06) - Finale - "Part VI" - 6/22/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/655621-obi-wan-kenobi-s1e06-finale-part-vi-6-22-22-a.html)

ViewAskewbian 06-23-22 07:10 AM

Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E06) - Finale - "Part VI" - 6/22/22

While I've been pretty, no pun intended, lukewarm on most of this show for all the reasons already listed, I did like a lot of elements of the finale.

I've been joking with a Star Wars geek friend of how harsh the 9 years between this and A New Hope must have been to age Obi-wan so much.
But, damn, Beru really shows it.

In Attack of the Clones:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...1220db62f1.jpg

3 years later in Revenge of the Sith:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...026cb60f18.jpg

10 years later in Obi-Wan Kenobi:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...01f9706d4e.jpg

9 years later in A New Hope:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...59bd29db53.jpg

I guess that moisture isn't going to farm itself.

(At least she got some new clothes by A New Hope :p)

dex14 06-23-22 07:13 AM

^^^ that's what happens when you join and escape a sex cult.

ViewAskewbian 06-23-22 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14122294)

Googled and YIKES!

Well, at least now we know how she got the new wardrobe and the cash for the name brand blue milk!

Noonan 06-23-22 07:18 AM

Good fan service; pretty awful story telling. I'm not sure how I would have made it better but it just wasn't very good.

All that talk about how he had to "end it" and Obi just leaves Vader on the planet still alive? Did he assume Vader would slowly die due to the helmet damage even after what happened after their first fight? No way he wouldn't take off Vader's head. But of course, that couldn't happen.

Are we to assume that being knocked out explains why Luke acts like he's never seen a lightsaber before in ANH? Even though he was almost killed by one.

I know this is Star Wars in general and not so much this show but seeing the Star Destroyer SLOWLY turn to chase Obi rather than the transport was hilarious. Ship like that can't fire at two targets as once?

The one thing that I thought was fantastic was how they mixed Hayden's voice when Vader's helmet was half off. Excellent sound work and really made Anakin sounding like Jones in the suit seem appropriate.

I guess Leia hits her head at some point or something? She forgets where she got that holster from and who gave it to her?

ViewAskewbian 06-23-22 07:19 AM

Granted she looks better at the start of A New Hope then she does by the end of it. :p

Goldberg74 06-23-22 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 14122299)
Granted she looks better at the start of A New Hope then she does by the end of it. :p

You know I have to…

ViewAskewbian 06-23-22 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 14122310)

Where the hell were you, Reva!!!!!!!

lopper 06-23-22 09:37 AM

This would’ve made a much better stand alone movie rather than a 6 hr series. Obi-wan, Vader, and the (recast) Inquisitors. No Luke. No Leia.

I read it was originally conceived as a theatrical Star Wars Story, but Solo underperformed and Disney got spooked, and here we are. Shame.

Since the OT, even when JEJ was doing the voice, Vader has never sounded quite right. I’m incredibly pleased with how they worked it out here, and if Vader turns up in another movie or series, that’d be just fine by me. They nailed the most important and distinguishing trait.

But I don’t need to see any more adventures of Obi-Wan. If they make a season 2, of course I’d watch it, but I genuinely hope they leave it alone at this point.

General Zod 06-23-22 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 14122329)
But I don’t need to see any more adventures of Obi-Wan. If they make a season 2, of course I’d watch it, but I genuinely hope they leave it alone at this point.

Well that's the plan. It was listed as a SERIES finale and they really kind of wrapped it up that way.

Now of course you may see Obi-Wan appear in Mandalorian or something somehow.. I wouldn't put that past them.

To me the Reva character was a letdown. Going around towns threatening, torturing, and killing and then of course when she gets to her main objective .. nevermind don't have it in me. OK whatever. The character turned out to just be a time waster. Also apparently a lightsaber through your body doesn't really slow you do that much... I kinda thought it would.

Owen and Beru's "planning" included hiding behind a plant and start shooting. Glad they had until nightfall to strategize.

Overall though I liked it. I wouldn't want to see it in a theater and 6 episodes seemed good to me. I still like the gal that played Leia - I think she did a great job.

You would think people would learn lessons in this universe. Obi-Wan doesn't kill Anakin once so Anakin comes back as Vader and kills and destroys.. so of course the next opportunity.. don't kill him again. (Of course I know he couldn't for the story telling but still). If his friend was truly gone then all your doing at that point is destroying evil. Same with Anakin and Reva.. You'd think Anakin of all people would know what leaving someone alive to get revenge may not be the best choice.

Yes picky picky.. but otherwise.. it was enjoyable.

GuessWho 06-23-22 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 14122299)

She was hot in her final scene.

MLBFan24 06-23-22 10:58 AM

The importance of sunscreen when there are two suns haha

ViewAskewbian 06-23-22 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 14122381)
She was hot in her final scene.

Sooooo wrong but sooooooo :lol:

candyrocket786 06-23-22 11:39 AM

...Twin Sun burn is a bitch on Tatooine and ages you bad.

candyrocket786 06-23-22 12:14 PM

So much better

lopper 06-23-22 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 14122344)
Well that's the plan. It was listed as a SERIES finale and they really kind of wrapped it up that way.

And I truly hope they stick to this, but I have zero faith that they can leave well enough alone. Why stop diluting the canon and cheapening the characters and the SW brand as a whole when there's money to be made?

JoeyOhhhh 06-23-22 01:42 PM

My two cents: Disney does Star Wars good when they do not trot out the original trilogy characters in major plot points (Rogue One, Mandalorian - I know some OT characters appear, but they are secondary to the main cast). Boba Fett, Solo, Sequel Trilogy (which has a host of problems) and Obi Wan have not been great, and even clunky.

With this series, it would have made a better 2 hour film. Reva is a wasted character, and the motivations of the character come to light way too late in the series to even care.

There was too much focus on kid Leia. I didn't have an issue with the kid's acting, but she gets kidnapped TWICE and then she decides to go into a crawl space to fix some wiring? It's a bit of a big ask.

But Reva and the Inquisitor not dying by light saber? Yeah its a bit unbelievable, just like Darth Maul coming back who was fucking sliced in half and brought back because he was too cool of a character visually speaking.

milo bloom 06-23-22 02:09 PM

I thought this was a great wrap up and I’ve enjoyed the series overall. You can see where the movie story was expanded and padded, but it’s also nice to have more time with characters like this.

The voice mixing when Vader’s helmet got cracked open was really good. It let Hayden get some good lines in and helped sell the “Anakin is dead” bit.

And I loved seeing Qui-Gon again. All we’ve wanted for so long, just a little more of that brogue.

philo 06-23-22 02:18 PM

Oh wow. Only now did I accidentally find out the actor playing Grand Inquisitor is Rupert Friend who fans/sufferers of HOMELAND will remember played Peter Quinn.

Anyway, I finally watched the finale. I liked the ending more than Boba Fett. The Obi-Wan Vader fight was the highlight for sure. Reva gets to chase after yet another little Skywalker. Kumail Naniani was annoying and still weird looking with his jacked up self. I knew it was coming but still cool to see that cameo at the end. They went out on a high note. Ewan deserved a feature film. A shame they didn't put more effort into crafting a solid story for him after all these years. It could have been epic.

OldBoy 06-23-22 02:46 PM

this was a competent series. we ALL expected it to be great, but unfortunately it wasn't for most. oh well.

until Disney f's up the next new series, i'm pretty content with all the new and previously existing Star Wars stuff we got. i'm pretty good for a lifetime.

the only thing i care to see more of regarding this world is what they do in The Mandalorian. that is an exceptional show that had not as high expectations which is why it succeeds where others have not.

maryjef 06-23-22 03:49 PM

This series was terrible. I'm going to watch the 1970's Christmas special for 24 hrs straight just to get it out of my mind...lol

Joe Schmoe 06-23-22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 14122297)
All that talk about how he had to "end it" and Obi just leaves Vader on the planet still alive? Did he assume Vader would slowly die due to the helmet damage even after what happened after their first fight? No way he wouldn't take off Vader's head. But of course, that couldn't happen.

Are we to assume that being knocked out explains why Luke acts like he's never seen a lightsaber before in ANH? Even though he was almost killed by one.

I think we're supposed to believe Obi-Wan was so moved by seeing Anakin's face and so sorry for failing him that he couldn't bring himself to kill him. Or like you said: maybe he assumed he'd die. Luke never saw Reva's lightsaber.

IDrinkMolson 06-23-22 06:30 PM

Vader was awesome in this.
Ewan as Kenobi is great.
Lil Princess Leia did a good job.
Most of the rest not so much.

I didn't hate it. And I get they're painted in a corner to a certain extent based on the previous cannon. But it never dawned on me prior to the start that OWK would be in hiding, and out of touch with the Force. I was expecting him doing hero-y type stuff from the get go. But it took several episodes to get that going.

I'm hearing Reva didn't die because she was stabbed in the same spot as when she was a youngling (flashback), and probably had cybernetic implants (as seen in Mandalorian). And you know Star Wars of today has to have character redemption.

TGM 06-23-22 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 14122618)
I think we're supposed to believe Obi-Wan was so moved by seeing Anakin's face and so sorry for failing him that he couldn't bring himself to kill him. Or like you said: maybe he assumed he'd die. Luke never saw Reva's lightsaber.

that'll be twice he assumed Vader died.

Obi-Wan destroyed Alderaan!!!!!

Mike86 06-23-22 10:14 PM

Liked the series overall and the finale was great. Loved the duel between Obi-Wan and Vader. The cracked mask exposing Anakin’s face was awesome. Also thought it was very cool to see Qui-Gon even if only briefly. The stuff with Reva was the weakest part. Just didn’t seem very necessary.

All in all this may have been a better film and I can see where it comes off as padded to be six episodes, but I still really enjoyed it.

GuessWho 06-23-22 10:32 PM