Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E05) - "Part V" - 6/15/22

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-22, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E05) - "Part V" - 6/15/22

Leia: They let us go. It was the only reason for the ease of our escape.

Guess we know where she learned that from now.

I'm not sure I buy the Leia mind wipe theory. Maybe it's Kenobi that gets wiped? I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid...

Vader is the star of this show. Well, my wife loves little Leia.
Old 06-17-22, 06:00 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm just here for the pew pew and lightsaber battles.
Old 06-17-22, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Caught up on this episode last night and it was bad... the fact that Reva wants to "hunt" Vader but has been in a room with him - several times - and didn't do anything about it is absolutely insulting to me as a viewer. She waits until she let's him kill a bunch of innocents and then SHE kills a bunch of innocents and THEN attacks him at the worst time possible. And how stupid is Vader? He not only battles like a lumbering baffoon (thankfully his Force powers are awesome) but he has NO idea what's going on. He has no clue that Reva wants to kill him, that his son, named Skywalker, is on his own home planet, that Leia is his daughter and he's also ok with these moron Inquisitors making up macguffins to track down his primary target - Ben.
Visually, while I appreciate what they're trying to do, last week's Snowspeeder scene and this week's Vader pulling the ship out of the sky looked SyFy level bad, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
xe.kilroy (06-17-22)
Old 06-17-22, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
20 years ago if you told me there was a Star Wars tv show and I wouldn’t want to watch it, I’d say you were crazy. Yet here we are. I stopped after episode three. I’ll still read the remaining threads to see what happened, but I just can’t get into this show.
So you blocked out all memory of the Star Wars Xmas tv special? I guess you can say there have been crappy Star Wars TV shows since the start.
Old 06-17-22, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

How does Reva know Anakin and Vader are the same person? When he attacked her as a kid, he didn't look like Vader. Did she watch the security footage of Palpatine anointing him?
Old 06-17-22, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
And how stupid is Vader? He not only battles like a lumbering baffoon (thankfully his Force powers are awesome) but he has NO idea what's going on. He has no clue that Reva wants to kill him, that his son, named Skywalker, is on his own home planet, that Leia is his daughter and he's also ok with these moron Inquisitors making up macguffins to track down his primary target - Ben.
I don't recall the details of the end of the EP III movie. Does Vader even know he has kids alive?
Old 06-17-22, 11:16 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
How does Reva know Anakin and Vader are the same person? When he attacked her as a kid, he didn't look like Vader. Did she watch the security footage of Palpatine anointing him?
Um, Palpatine named him “Darth Vader” when he turned to the Dark Side, before Padme’s death and his transformation post-Mustafar.

When he assaulted the Jedi Temple, they called him “Darth Vader.”

Reva - if she were paying attention - would have seen Anakin but heard them call him by his new dark name.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-17-22 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-17-22, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Caught up on this episode last night and it was bad... the fact that Reva wants to "hunt" Vader but has been in a room with him - several times - and didn't do anything about it is absolutely insulting to me as a viewer. She waits until she let's him kill a bunch of innocents and then SHE kills a bunch of innocents and THEN attacks him at the worst time possible. And how stupid is Vader? He not only battles like a lumbering baffoon (thankfully his Force powers are awesome) but he has NO idea what's going on. He has no clue that Reva wants to kill him, that his son, named Skywalker, is on his own home planet, that Leia is his daughter and he's also ok with these moron Inquisitors making up macguffins to track down his primary target - Ben.
Visually, while I appreciate what they're trying to do, last week's Snowspeeder scene and this week's Vader pulling the ship out of the sky looked SyFy level bad, IMO.
Vader wasn't lumbering, he was taunting her. He was fighting Reva without even using his own lightsaber.

Originally Posted by The Cow
I don't recall the details of the end of the EP III movie. Does Vader even know he has kids alive?
He knew Padme was pregnant, but not with how many kids. When Sidious told him that Padme was dead, he assumed she died before giving birth. It's always been secondary canon/lore that when Vader found out the name of the pilot that blew up the Death Star he realized that she had given birth and began hunting him. The conversation between Vader and the Emperor about the son of Skywalker is the Emperor telling Vader that he knew what was going on and that he'd better be careful about it.
Old 06-17-22, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Sure Reva has been alone with Vader several times, but if she had tried anything she would have had a whole fleet of Imperials willing to take her out. You can probably chalk it up to fear of confronting him as to why she waited.

Vader probably knew but was waiting for her to make a move so he could make an example of her. In the meantime why not use her?

I’ve kind of wondered why Vader doesn’t sense Luke and Leia, but he probably doesn’t know they’re alive and until they tap into the Force maybe he’s so blocked off/shrouded by the Dark Side that he doesn’t even realize.
Old 06-17-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Yeah, the last several movies have helped solidify my personal ideas of how the Force works - that if you're not actively in the Force and sending out waves, then you're like a pebble on the bottom of a stream. The minute you push up and start to break the surface, you start creating waves and now your visible to others.
teameck (06-17-22)
Old 06-17-22, 07:56 PM

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't forgive this show for killing off Wade. I miss the hell outta that guy. Show hasn't been the same without him.
philo (06-17-22)
Old 06-17-22, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

No one will admit it without sounding like a pretentious douche, but I’m sure there are people out there who are mad that Obi-Wan isn’t properly following how it was scripted in their head.

I definitely liked part 5 better than 4. 4 was a terrible episode. However I did think Hayden looked a little old in the flashback sequence with Ewan. But it was good seeing them on screen together. There was some entertaining sequences here. Tala sacrificing herself was an interesting choice. But her being a double agent made it seem she would meet a dark ending.

There are things I like and things I don’t like here. I’m not one of those people who are like just be glad you’re getting a Star Wars TV show and shut up and enjoy the show. If there are things that don’t work and you can have a healthy conversation about it without sounding like an arrogant know it all, I believe everyone should point things out.
Old 06-17-22, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
There are things I like and things I don’t like here. I’m not one of those people who are like just be glad you’re getting a Star Wars TV show and shut up and enjoy the show. If there are things that don’t work and you can have a healthy conversation about it without sounding like an arrogant know it all, I believe everyone should point things out.
I stated it earlier, I knew going in I wasn't going to agree with the story and narrative approach...but I never expected the filmmaking to be so bad. Bad writing, acting, directing, vfx...it makes the prequels look Shakespearian. I'm a SW fan for life but I also have to be honest....more of the films are bad than good, and while we had a good thing going with the streaming shows...we find ourselves back in the same position here too. You can just feel the brand slipping away, and I hate to see it...could've been avoided with better quality control.
xe.kilroy (06-17-22)
Old 06-17-22, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Someone who I follow pointed out being that this is shot mostly on the Volume stages at Manhattan Beach studios in California, it makes the show feel really small. Obviously they don’t have the budget to shoot at Pinewood in the UK where the movies are made.

No one seemed to complain about The Madalorian being filmed in CA on the stages. Now I guess for some it’s more glaring?

And I think Deborah Chow is a very talented TV director and she really shined in her work on The Mandalorian. But maybe not having Favreau and Filoni as her go to guys here has hurt her? She obviously has much more responsibility here as Executive Producer and lead director for the entire series.
Old 06-18-22, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

No one seemed to complain about The Madalorian being filmed in CA on the stages. Now I guess for some it’s more glaring?
Yes, that's exactly it actually - you'd have to be blind to not see the difference.

Here's an example - go and listen to John Campea's show about the last episode, which actually doesn't even have him at all - it's Robert Meyer Burnett and Kris Carr - having an honest discussion about what they did and didn't like about it - fantastic! Well worth the listen. Then, go and listen to Kristian Harloff's show...which sounds like a cult meeting, supposed adults completely detached from reality and against anything resembling a debate.
The following 2 users liked this post by Artman:
DJariya (06-18-22), xe.kilroy (06-18-22)
Old 06-18-22, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Artman
Yes, that's exactly it actually - you'd have to be blind to not see the difference.

Here's an example - go and listen to John Campea's show about the last episode, which actually doesn't even have him at all - it's Robert Meyer Burnett and Kris Carr - having an honest discussion about what they did and didn't like about it - fantastic! Well worth the listen. Then, go and listen to Kristian Harloff's show...which sounds like a cult meeting, supposed adults completely detached from reality and against anything resembling a debate.
Yup that’s who I follow. RMB is very honest about how he feels about the quality of the show and yes he does criticize how the Volume stages makes it look small.
Old 06-18-22, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Someone who I follow pointed out being that this is shot mostly on the Volume stages at Manhattan Beach studios in California, it makes the show feel really small. Obviously they don’t have the budget to shoot at Pinewood in the UK where the movies are made.

The Mandalorian is best-looking of the tv series. The Book of Boba Fett could go from looking really good to have some really ropy-looking scenes. Obi-Wan Kenobi is the worst-looking of the lot. It has the most video-gamey feel of the three we've seen so far. And once you see how they're doing the backgrounds, everything starts to look it was filmed on a really cramped stage with a CGI background, and that's all you can see.

Here's a good article on how they do it for those who don't know: https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/20/ho...tv-production/

B.A. (06-20-22)
Old 06-18-22, 03:37 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I rather enjoyed this episode despite Vader (or the Grand Inquisitor for that matter) inexplicably leaving Reva alive to only be a plot device.
Old 06-18-22, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

He not only battles like a lumbering baffoon (thankfully his Force powers are awesome) but he has NO idea what's going on. He has no clue that Reva wants to kill him, that his son, named Skywalker, is on his own home planet, that Leia is his daughter and he's also ok with these moron Inquisitors making up macguffins to track down his primary target - Ben.
Maybe your rage is keeping you from noticing the details. He literally tells Reva he knows who she is and that he knew what was up. The entire interaction between Anakin and Obi-Wan during training is about how Anakin lets his anger and rage cloud his mind and judgment. Obi even says that Darth won't "see" the plan since he's so consumed with his hate for Obi. They are obviously not following your internal dream story, but they are following the logic set up in the show. It's like the people who were outraged the Snow Speeders hovered...it's almost like they never watched Empire where they HOVER to take off. lol.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 06-18-22 at 06:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SmackDaddy:
stingermck (06-18-22), TGM (06-18-22)
Old 06-18-22, 09:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

training/sparring with real lightsabers seems ill-advised
Bandoman (06-19-22)
Old 06-18-22, 11:32 PM

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
training/sparring with real lightsabers seems ill-advised
That was my kids' reaction, too. Like, they went on and on about why that was a terrible idea. I said they're careful. Nope, they talked about "mitigating risk." Wow, they actually listened to me!!!

Last edited by story; 06-18-22 at 11:52 PM.
Bandoman (06-19-22)
Old 06-19-22, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
I'm not sure I buy the Leia mind wipe theory. Maybe it's Kenobi that gets wiped? I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid...
There's a very simple explanation. Two, actually.

First off, he never owned a droid. Jedi technically don't own anything. The droid in his starfighter belonged to the Jedi Order, not him. Anakin never played by the rules, but Obi Wan never owned Artoo in any event.

And second, as for not recognizing Threepio and Artoo, he lied, What was he supposed to say? He kept Luke in the dark as much as possible. He never told him the truth about his father. Threepio had his memory wiped, and either Threepio was programmed to ignore Artoo or Artoo is smart enough not to share information with the gold plated idiot.
Old 06-19-22, 10:22 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

My predictions for the final episode.....some of them based on gut feelings where episode 5 left off, some on patterns the writers have shown already, and some on typical type of canon bending that they love to engage in....

Spoiler:

On the escape ship, no hyperdrive, Obi tells them to take Leia back to Alderaan on a shuttle that does have hyperdrive, whilst he pilots the ship to some nearby moon/planet to divert Vader who is picking up the trail of the ship.

Vader is hot on his heels. They land and have another duel. Somehow Obi is able to equally match Vader in battle. Some PT era flashback again of a training duel where Obi schools Anakin, giving him insight how to defeat Vader here. During the fight Vaders mask get knocked off, allowing Obi and Anakin to actually see each other eye to eye, which softens Vader too. Some emotional dialogue between them about Padme etc that kind of continues off unbroken from their duel on Mustafa in ROTS. This all allows Obi to get under Vaders skin and beat him in battle. Vader left damaged and/or his ship damaged as Obi intended, not allowing Vader to go to Tatooine (a missed opportunity). Obi flees and goes to Tatooine as he senses Luke in danger from Reva.

Reva is alive obviously and on Tatooine hunting down Owens abode. Making no sense whatsoever, Reva is suddenly now keen on killing Luke and his family. Obi arrives in time to stop her. They have a lightsaber duel in front of Luke, breaking canon that Luke has never seen a lightsaber before. Something happens in the battle, maybe more flashbacks of her life, Obi reading them from her, appealing to her youngling self to spare Luke, who is the key to defeating Vader, not Obi, not her. So we see Reva flip for the 10th time in two episodes. She backs off and agrees to keep the secret of Vaders children to herself.

Reva somehow goes back to Vader to tell him she pretended to be against Vader to dupe Obi into trusting her, and that she killed Obi, all is good again Mr Vader. Mr Vader is an emotional wreck, having lost to Obi, Padme wounds dug up, having Obi lecture him, and now Reva has killed his prey. Mr Vader is stupid and accepts all this. Reva gets to hang around to foil Vader from ever getting close to the truth, and so they can create a Reva spin-off show.

Meanwhile, Owen is now suddenly grateful for Ben, and is all fine with Ben continuing to protect Luke, be his creepy old friend, and eventually teach him the ways of the Jedi because he agrees Luke is key to stopping the evil Empire after all. Bending the whole stay away from Crazy Old Ben angle.

We see a scene with Little Leia and family all happy and how her experience/adventure gives her a goal in life now to BE a senator, that she previously didnt want to be, but now its all inspired her etc.

Last scene i reckon is Obi and Qui-Gon convening finally. I read an internet theory that maybe Qui-Gon force-wipes Obi's memories, not Obi force-wiping Leias. Why Leia says "you served my father in the clone wars" because it's Ben who has no memory of this series, like he's got dementia. Another way for them to mock canon and fans. Reckon thata a goer! So after the mind wipe by Qui-Gon, Ben turns all gray haired, like it sapped him or something, he gets on his camel and rides off into the sunset.

Old 06-20-22, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Maybe your rage is keeping you from noticing the details. He literally tells Reva he knows who she is and that he knew what was up. The entire interaction between Anakin and Obi-Wan during training is about how Anakin lets his anger and rage cloud his mind and judgment. Obi even says that Darth won't "see" the plan since he's so consumed with his hate for Obi. They are obviously not following your internal dream story, but they are following the logic set up in the show. It's like the people who were outraged the Snow Speeders hovered...it's almost like they never watched Empire where they HOVER to take off. lol.
My "rage"? What a stupid word to use.

Look, if you like shitburgers, so be it. Debating the logic behind this particular show isn't something I'm going to do. You think it's logical and well plotted, great. I think it's contrived and nonsensical.
Old 06-20-22, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

How did Reva continue to train after Order 66? Why did the Empire accept someone who was mysteriously strong in the Force without any backstory?

Her not attacking Vader any time before was the only believable thing. She knew he'd see it (which was confirmed when he said he knew who she was all along).

Why did a simple tracker turn Leia's droid into a red-eyed monster?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.