Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

A League of Their Own: The Series (Amazon) - Based on the movie -- Premieres 8/12/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

A League of Their Own: The Series (Amazon) - Based on the movie -- Premieres 8/12/22

Old 06-07-22, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,582 Posts

This is a short teaser promo. Not really a trailer.

Today, Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television debuted the first-look teaser for the highly anticipated series, A League of Their Own, and announced that the series will premiere all eight episodes exclusively on Prime Video on Friday, August 12 in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide. A League of Their Own evokes the joyful spirit of Penny Marshall's beloved classic, while widening the lens to tell the story of an entire generation of women who dreamed of playing professional baseball. The show takes a deeper look at race and sexuality, following the journey of a whole new ensemble of characters as they carve their own paths towards the field, both in the league and outside of it.

With Abbi Jacobson as Carson, Chanté Adams as Max, D'Arcy Carden as Greta, Gbemisola Ikumelo as Clance, Roberta Colindrez as Lupe,Nick Offerman as Dove, Saidah Arrika Ekulona as Toni, Kate Berlant as Shirley, Kendall Johnson as Gary, Kelly McCormack as Jess, Alex Désert as Edgar, Priscilla Delgado as Esti, Aaron Jennings as Guy, Molly Ephraim as Maybelle, Melanie Field as Jo, Dale Dickey as Beverly.

A League of Their Own is from Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television in association with Field Trip Productions. The series is co-created and executive produced by Will Graham and Abbi Jacobson. Field Trip's Hailey Wierengo and Desta Tedros Reff also serve as executive producers. Jamie Babbit directed the pilot and also serves as executive producer. Based on the motion picture Screenplay by Lowell Ganz & Babaloo Mandel. Based on a Story by Kim Wilson & Kelly Candaele.
8 episode season. Premieres August 12th.

Abbi Jacobson is the star, co-creator and EP of this series.
Old 06-07-22, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 947 Likes on 688 Posts
Re: A League of Their Own: The Series (Amazon) - Based on the movie -- Premieres 8/12/22

I'll probably watch it but I'll miss the actors from the movie.
Old 06-07-22, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,784 Likes on 2,548 Posts
Re: A League of Their Own: The Series (Amazon) - Based on the movie -- Premieres 8/12/22

I think they're a little too old for their parts now.
Old 06-07-22, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts

Yeah, part of the appeal was that cast at that time. I like this cast as well, but it isn't quite the same.
Old 06-07-22, 11:28 PM

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,203 Posts

Avoid the clap - Jimmy Dugan.
Old 06-07-22, 11:48 PM
Banned

Received 374 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Avoid the clap - Jimmy Dugan.
Madonna failed.
Old 06-08-22, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,784 Likes on 2,548 Posts

That might be the weirdest song choice I have ever heard in a trailer. Wrong Era, wrong genre, wrong theme. Totally baffling selection.
Old 07-26-22, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Full trailer

Old 07-26-22, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 404 Likes on 287 Posts

Looks pretty decent to me, I'll give a watch
Old 07-30-22, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I think they're a little too old for their parts now.
Spoiler:
While she's not playing her old role of Doris, I see Rosie is listed as a guest star as a character called Vi in one episode

Old 08-13-22, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

I’m case you’re hurting for more content to watch This is up today

All 8 episodes are up.
The following users liked this post:
lisadoris (08-13-22)
Old 08-13-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 686 Likes on 509 Posts

I love baseball movies from The Winning Team to Major League, and A League of Their Own is a favorite of the genre. So I had mixed feelings about this series, but I was definitely going to check it out.

I've already watched 6 episodes. This is an excellent TV series! And you will end up bingeing it, so be warned.

Obviously from the trailer, you can see that the show is devoted to telling the stories of black female characters (the movie just had that one scene acknowledging the segregation) as well as white. And even though the black pitcher played by Chante Adams is not allowed to try out for the Peaches, she and her community in Rockford have well-developed and interesting story-lines. The danger with this kind of thing is that any time spent away from the (all white) baseball team can feel like a distraction or tokenism. That is NOT the case here.

In fact, I Adams' character, Max, is more charismatic and (imo) portrays more depth than her co-lead Jacobson's Carson.

Watching the first episode, I was concerned about the show following the beats of the movie with Jacobson in the Geena Davis role, and to some extent it does, but Carson is NOT Dottie Henson. And also picking out that character is like Rosie O'Donnell and that one is like Madonna.

These are not new actresses trying to be the characters from the movie. And from episode to episode, I have found myself getting increasingly interested in these women and their lives to the point where whether they win or lose on the field feels beside the point. This show is filled with interesting and developed characters.

I saw a sentence somewhere that this show was not going to shy away from gay themes like the movie did. What an understatement! MANY of these women who want to be professional baseball players are lesbians, and the series is VERY MUCH about their struggles with their sexuality, the prejudice they face, and their need to both hide in plain sight, but also find ways to express themselves and their love for each other.

I know that the DVD Talk crowd probably isn't the main demographic for a period piece drama about gay women and segregation, but this is a really good show. Watch it!
Old 08-13-22, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First episode was good. Started late so wasn't able to binge.
Old 08-13-22, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I am deliberately trying not to binge so I'm only three episodes in and I LOVE it so far. Max is an awesome character and I can't wait to see what happens in the next episodes with her and her mother. I also love the dad - the egg thing was so cute. The writers did their research on the AAGPBL and it shows in the relationships between the women and their struggles down to the teenager who doesn't speak English (based on Lefty Alvarez). I'm going to try not to finish the series tomorrow.
Old 08-14-22, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I haven't watched this yet, though I definitely want to. (we started Paper Girls instead.) It looks great and much more representative of a very complex time than the movie was (great as it was.)
Re-watched the trailer last night to get psyched.
I noticed that as of last night, there were 10 ratings resulting in one star. (Today it's got 57 with two stars). I said "Huh, I thought this was getting good reviews." Turns out it is, critic wise; the biggest "professional" negative I've seen is 'inconsistent', which is hardly damning.
Unfortunately, all the negative user reviews I see seem to be focused on "how dare they have a show that features people who don't look like me or have my orientation". People sadden (and anger) me.
If you've watched it (or are watching it), and liked it, consider leaving an honest rating and review to help counter the hate.
Old 08-15-22, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished the season. Liked it and the cast. There was a hokey moment in the last episode that had me rolling my eyes but I just went with it.
Spoiler:
Ester acts like her arm is hurt. Instead of the team supplying another pitcher, she has them use Max, giving her the break she wanted

I was mildly surprised by some of the throwbacks to the film. Hopefully there will be another season. It'll be interesting how the general audience embraces it.
Old 08-22-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 512 Likes on 376 Posts

Does this take a while to get going? Wife and I watched the first episode last night and we both found it to be pretty damn boring. All the main characters are basically a clone of the movie.

For reference, we both LOVE the movie.
Old 08-22-22, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 686 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Does this take a while to get going? Wife and I watched the first episode last night and we both found it to be pretty damn boring. All the main characters are basically a clone of the movie.

For reference, we both LOVE the movie.
There are going to be people who watch this who have not seen the 30 year old movie, so the show does, initially, lean into repeating things from the movie, but as I posted before, they are not repeating the characters from the movie and you just have to give it some time to see how the characters develop. Stick with it.
Old 09-28-22, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

After I started watching this, I read that while she was filming this, Molly Ephraim was very pregnant, and they had to do whatever they could to hide her belly. Now I can't unsee it. LOL

They may not be using characters from the movie, but they're definitely throwing out homages here and there, including "There's no crying in baseball!"