Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E04) - "Part IV" - 6/8/22

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-22, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E04) - "Part IV" - 6/8/22

And then the speeders coming to the carrier with no resistance? So they had no tracking or sensors to detect them?
Old 06-08-22, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I thought it was cool to see Obi and Anakin feel each other through the force, Obi finally using the force at will again, wielding his saber, seeing the T-47's, seeing Jedi entombed. For those that say it's pointless since we know the outcome or that it's just terrible, again, why watch it and then just complain because you willingly subjected yourself to it, lol. Oh, and going by Rotten Tomato audience score?? C'mon now. That's about as reliable as the US mail.
Old 06-08-22, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
This show has no tension, we know Obi-Wan and Leia aren’t going to die and the people who do we don’t care about because they’re inconsequential, so that makes the whole show inconsequential and pointless.
That's the problem with projects like this, that take place between existing stories. We know that none of the characters are in any real danger... we know where Obi-Wan, Luke, Leia, Owen, Beru, and Darth Vader all end up, so there are really no stakes involved in 95% of this show. And when they do kill someone off like the Grand Inquisitor, it's baffling because we know from Rebels that he was around after the events of this series.

The best moments of this series have been the small ones, like Ben interacting with Owen and seeing Ben's day-to-day drudgery at the meat packing plant. And that's really the trick with projects like this, you can fill in some gaps and that's cool, but the bulk of the story needs to have some kind of unknown stakes that make sense within the context of both the story and the universe.

Better Call Saul does this masterfully by including and developing new characters like Nacho, Lalo, Kim, and Howard and intertwining them with the characters like Saul, Mike, Gus, and Hector, whose fates we already know from Breaking Bad.
Old 06-08-22, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I'm enjoying the hell out of this cause I love Star Wars. Especially OT characters.

Vader running into the room straight into a force chokes was great.
The following 2 users liked this post by stingermck:
Cusm (06-13-22), TGM (06-13-22)
Old 06-08-22, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Forgot about the ridiculous trench coat gag straight out of a cartoon or an Austin Powers movie. It would have been the perfect excuse for Obi-Wan to utter, "I have a bad feeling about this." At least they didn't get away with it.

About the Grand Inquisitor... I read his species has 2 stomachs. Was this mentioned in the animated SW shows? (I don't watch them.) If this is true, I doubt he's dead. If Darth Maul, Darth Sidious and Boba Fett all survived their onscreen deaths, I bet the Grand Inquisitor will too. I'm sure the writers did their homework, and that's why they had Reva stab him through his mid-section. He's probably off recuperating somewhere. Perhaps he'll show up in Part VI to get his revenge on Reva.
Old 06-08-22, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I enjoyed the episode. Nice set design. But didn’t know snowspeeders could hover like a Harrier.
Old 06-08-22, 10:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

It's ok to enjoy Disney SW because it is Star Wars content after all. But that doesn't mean it should be exempt from criticism where criticism is due.

If this Obi-Wan series was some other non-SW show, or a new non-SW start up, people would not forgive it for the multitude of ridiculous things in it, the bad acting, and the poor production and writing standards. It comes across as very little effort is being invested into them, 'print the tickets and the fans will buy' attitude.

The show is ok, enjoyable in some parts, but there are far too many major problems and areas of concern with it. It's another big waste of content. They'll flip that into 'oh SW fans can never be happy', but that's shifting blame to abscond themselves of it.

When some other production company releases a new show or mini-series that gets accolades and awards, with high production/writing, riveting story, why can't fans ask/wish Disney would put the same effort in with SW and not be labeled incels/etc? It's Disney's own disregard of its IP, not some fundamental flaw in SW fans.

Last edited by xe.kilroy; 06-09-22 at 09:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xe.kilroy:
bchbdaddy (06-10-22), Rob V (06-09-22)
Old 06-08-22, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's the problem with projects like this, that take place between existing stories. We know that none of the characters are in any real danger... we know where Obi-Wan, Luke, Leia, Owen, Beru, and Darth Vader all end up, so there are really no stakes involved in 95% of this show. And when they do kill someone off like the Grand Inquisitor, it's baffling because we know from Rebels that he was around after the events of this series.

The best moments of this series have been the small ones, like Ben interacting with Owen and seeing Ben's day-to-day drudgery at the meat packing plant. And that's really the trick with projects like this, you can fill in some gaps and that's cool, but the bulk of the story needs to have some kind of unknown stakes that make sense within the context of both the story and the universe.

Better Call Saul does this masterfully by including and developing new characters like Nacho, Lalo, Kim, and Howard and intertwining them with the characters like Saul, Mike, Gus, and Hector, whose fates we already know from Breaking Bad.
There’s no real character development of the secondary characters, and there should be because we know very little about them. There’s no point in investing so much time into the primary characters if we already know where they’re going to end up- if they’re going to do that, at least do a better job of it- Strange New Worlds is the perfect example of this.

This show is mediocre at best so far, it’s better than Boba Fett, but that’s not saying much. The Mandalorian is the best of the live action shows because it explores a character and a part of the Star Wars universe we know nothing about. The Star Wars universe is big and has lots of new material to draw from- why draw from the old?
Old 06-09-22, 06:06 AM

It's a very curious decision what they've done. Leia only knew of Ben Kenobi via dad's stories, whilst Luke actually had a relationship with Old Ben. Yet, in this series, they've decided to give Ben and Leia a strong relationship and nothing with Luke. Owen told him to stay away, and that's that. Instead of backing up canon, they've twisted it around. It should've been Luke going off to hang out with Old Ben, and clashes with Owen to stay away, yet Luke still goes. And some Leia and Ben interaction would've been ok, but not to the extent that this series has given them, a huge adventure, multiple rescue missions, torture scenes, hand holding, are you my dad, resting head on his shoulder, making her float, etc.

Last edited by xe.kilroy; 06-09-22 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (07-05-22)
Old 06-09-22, 07:51 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Last night I watched parts 2-4 after seeing Part 1 the night before.

I’m digging it so far, but taking it in with a grain of salt.

It seems that Obi-Wan is bumbling through the story, trying to shake off the rust, and it’s a good thing “The Force” is with him, ‘cause this ain’t luck.

Waltzing in and out of the Inquisitors’ Fortress was fun but bungled.

Contrary to some, I have no beef with Liea and how she’s being played - I believe that that is how a young Carrie Fisher would do it. She had the line of the night for me, “Is this a staring contest?” Such sass.

I don’t mind the Reva character, but she doesn’t fit as the “Third Sister.” She holds to her former identity too much (which is the point, I know). I wish she had a helmet or face mask or something that blended her into the group a bit more. And correct me if I’m wrong - and I’m going all the way back to Part 1 for this - but I’m sure everyone else picked up on the fact that Reva…
Spoiler:
… is a youngling/padawan that survived the assault on the assault on the Jedi Temple that was shown at the beginning of this series and that’s where her beef with Kenobi stems from? I thought it was pretty obvious.

Anyways, I’m expecting a giant “Rocky-like” training montage next episode that culminates with Obi-Wan finally seeing his master and gaining valuable insight into reconnecting with the force again (a throw back to Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back).

All in all, I’m having a good time, but some of the writing is truly lazy… but hey, the writing in original trilogy wasn’t that great either.
The following 2 users liked this post by Goldberg74:
EddieMoney (06-10-22), majorjoe23 (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
All in all, I’m having a good time, but some of the writing is truly lazy… but hey, the writing in original trilogy wasn’t that great either.
I think this gets lost through nostalgia glasses.
Old 06-09-22, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I think this gets lost through nostalgia glasses.
Yeah, I agree. I think we all want more “More Star Wars” so bad we’ll take/watch anything.

Kind of off topic, I’m all caught up with reading The High Republic books (adult, young adult, and youth novels) and even those are suffering from “nostalgia”… we want something new from Star Wars, but we keep trying to connect everything in some way. One thread through THR is “when will (600 year old) Yoda come back?” and when he does finally show up, I think of him as a lifeline. He’s the only familiar character in a sea of new characters (who are disposable - see “Fallen Star”) since all we care about is Yoda.

So when Qui Gon finally shows up, we’ll get our Yoda moment (Ep V) and have a Obi-Wan vs Vader sequence (Ep VI), fan boys will be happy, we’ll be frustrated, and we’ll wait for Andor to give us our fix (hey, we’ll only get Cassian and Mon Mothma as the recognizable characters there) and we’ll complain then too.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-09-22 at 08:26 AM.
majorjoe23 (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 08:24 AM

I agree that they needed some other story aspects than Obi just being a hermit. The series needed some action, some cameos, something to draw Obi-Wan out from exile (a little).

Just they stretched Little Leia too far tho, and copy-pasting TM/Grogu storyline. But worse, the amount of ridiculous scenes and things that just makes you wince.

If only it was written and devised much better like some other great mini-series or spin off shows like Better Call Saul etc have shown it can be done...instead of being a cheap, second-thought reproduction lacking ideas.

They could've had Obi convening with Qui-Gon, advanced training, as Yoda promised. We saw just a slither of a moment, Obi calling out to Qui-Gon, no response. 10 years into his exile. Inquisitors is a good obvious addition to the story. That being the main angle for this show is fine, just they spent too much time on Leia and made Obi exposed and too known to the Empire.

It's easy in hindsight, and I'm no expert writer, but surely something like this instead could have been devised....

episode 1....Showing Obi the hermit, menial job, a little broken and afraid, Owen telling Ben to stay away, etc, like they already did.

episode 2....Reva is hell-bent on finding Obi, tho Vader/GI insist her time is better spent hunting down other Jedi who are exposed and sure to exist. But Reva is stubborn, against their wishes she organizes the kidnap of Leia (figuring only a Bail and Obi connection). Bail pleads with Obi. Obi actually convenes with Qui-Gon, they discuss Jedi stuff, gives him a new power. Obi calls Bail back and says ok I'll find Leia.

episode 3...Obi is clever, he goes in disguise, no lightsaber etc, he sneaks in and out efficiently, Reva and kidnappers are miffed that Leia is rescued and no one knows who it was or how it was done. Can be scenes of Obi and Leia on a mining planet, back of stormtrooper truck, them connecting, that kind of stuff they did was cool, but he brings her back to the Organas and returns to Tatooine, totally unexposed thanks to counsel from Qui-Gon and Obi hell-bent on preserving his anonymity. Just a couple episodes spent on that.

episode 4....Reva insists to Vader/GI that only a master Jedi like Obi could've done that and stay hidden. They're angry with her, but she defies them and goes back to Tatooine on a hunch looking for Obi. Similar scene with Reva and Owen, she's getting warmer. She catches another Jedi (that young one) and tortures him to reveal if there's another Jedi here, he breaks.

episode 5....Reva tracks Obi down and they clash mono-et-mono. Obi kill her quite efficiently, takes her body out in the middle of nowhere and buries her. Another scene of Obi looking over Luke from afar, satisfied that danger has been averted. Vader/GI are informed that Reva is missing. Scenes of Vader and Obi sensing each other from afar. Vader is now tuned in, starting to believe Reva's suspicions that Obi may indeed be alive and was the expert who freed Leia and who killed a skilled Inquisitor.

episode 6....Vader reluctantly makes his way back to Tatooine, lots of mixed memories, he sniffs around, kills some people, same kind of terrifying scenes as previous episode where he kills villagers. Vader is getting warm, Obi wanting to protect Luke at all costs draws Vader's attention away from Tatooine, leading him to another planet. Vader chases him. They clash, same kind of scene as Vader easily out-powering Obi, making him suffer and run for his life.

Last edited by xe.kilroy; 06-09-22 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-09-22, 08:30 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

^^^ Is there a reason you continue to make posts in this color? Please stop.
majorjoe23 (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
I was just going to say the same thing. Annoying... but not as annoying as Reva.
Old 06-09-22, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
What color is it? I only see it as white on a black background. Unaware that it's showing as something else.
Old 06-09-22, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by xe.kilroy
What color is it? I only see it as white on a black background. Unaware that it's showing as something else.
I figured that a "dark view mode" might be the culprit, but this is what we see.
Spoiler:

First time I have seen something like this on this forum though (and I've been here awhile).
xe.kilroy (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Its unreadable very light gray over the white of this board.
xe.kilroy (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Its unreadable very light gray over the white of this board.
Apologies then. I'll see if I can edit them and change color. Not sure why it's doing that tho....

Last edited by xe.kilroy; 06-09-22 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-09-22, 09:01 AM

Apologies then. I'll see if I can edit them and change color. Not sure why it's doing that tho....
Thanks xe.kilroy. That is much better... and welcome to the forums!
xe.kilroy (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 09:03 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Thank you.
xe.kilroy (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 09:04 AM

I had dark reader extension on for all sites. To me it shows as white on black. I got rid of dark reader for this site. So it's all white with black writing. I wonder if there's a dark mode built in tho.
Old 06-09-22, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I am not going blind, after all. Cancelled appointment with the eye doctor.

Welcome Xe!
xe.kilroy (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I’m generally fine with the story arc and think all of the actors are doing passable to really strong work, but the nuts and bolts of the direction and writing kind of suck.

This week was absurd with the Imperial spy/rebel loudly whispering into her communicator while feet away from other Imperials in a quiet room, Leia sneaking under Obi Wan’s robe, Reva’s plan making little sense, the speeders soaring in undetected, etc. The speeders were shot like shit as well. It looked like they were going to slam right into the base and then, nope, they somehow off-camera came to an immediate stop and, oh yeah, have the ability to just hover now.

The execution is just really sloppy, feeling at times more like a parody then anything. I’m surprised, as I’m sure Disney has no problems recruiting top talent. Then again, I like a lot of Robert Rodriguez’s work and his direction on Boba Fett was abysmal, so who knows. Maybe Disney bureaucracy is meddling too much and mucking things up.
Old 06-09-22, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm going into this show with the mindset of 8 year old me seeing Star Wars in the theater. Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, TIE Fighters (inexplicably not used but still), lightsabers, and various droids are enough to keep me entertained as long as I can turn off my brain for a bit. The Star Wars universe has never made a lick of sense so I can just roll with this ridiculous story for six episodes I guess.
The following 2 users liked this post by mugwump:
JeremyM (06-10-22), Red Dog (06-11-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.