DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E01&E02) - "Part I" & "Part II" - 5/27/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/655462-obi-wan-kenobi-s1e01-e02-part-i-part-ii-5-27-22-a.html)

dex14 05-26-22 06:35 AM

Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E01&E02) - "Part I" & "Part II" - 5/27/22

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...aa5ecdddc7.jpg

"Obi-Wan Kenobi" begins 10 years after the dramatic events of "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" where Obi-Wan Kenobi faced his greatest defeat - the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, who turned to the dark side as evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.
6 episodes. The rest of the of episodes will premiere on Wednesdays... so not a long wait until Episode 3.

stingermck 05-26-22 06:50 AM

Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E01&E02) - "Part I" & "Part II" - 5/27/22

I'm so hyped for this and glad they brought Hayden back.

MLBFan24 05-26-22 06:55 AM

Creative episode titles :lol:

dex14 05-26-22 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 14109337)
Creative episode titles :lol:

I'm not sure if that is all they are yet. We don't normally know until they are up on the app.

MLBFan24 05-26-22 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14109338)
I'm not sure if that is all they are yet. We don't normally know until they are up on the app.

oh ok, that makes sense. I’m a creative person, so I usually call out stuff like this (looking at you “Scream” 5)

DJariya 05-26-22 10:03 AM

I'm off from work tomorrow, so I'll stay up and at least catch 1 of the 2 episodes. I'm looking forward to this more than Boba Fett. That show sadly ended up being more of a disappointment.

dex14 05-26-22 10:10 PM

dex14 05-26-22 10:53 PM

They’re up.

story 05-26-22 11:16 PM

Yes. Yes they are.

It's happening...

SmackDaddy 05-27-22 12:01 AM

So my guess about why they moved it was correct. I'm in Anaheim for Star Wars celebration and just finished watching the first two episodes with Ewan and Hayden in the entire cast. Not only did we get to see the cast of all the new series coming up and hear about a brand new series, but everyone who got into that Q&A panel was given a gold bracelet to come back at 7:00 p.m. Pacific time to watch the premiere of the first two episodes with the cast. We got to walk a red carpet, they gave us popcorn and sodas, I even scored a box of Obi-Wan themed Kellogg's cereal (they also tossed out Obi-Wan themed Pringles cans). Getting to see this premiere, as well as seeing John Williams (who they brought out to conduct the Obi-Wan theme) and Harrison Ford (it was a John Williams 90th birthday and Harrison came out to give a small speech and wish him a happy birthday) earlier in the day was just absolutely bonkers.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...69f4b3062a.jpg

dex14 05-27-22 12:23 AM

The production design in Episode 2 was fantastic. Beyond that… I was a little underwhelmed. Not really feeling the whole kidnap Leia to draw him out plot. Not a fan of some the casting either. Third Sister wasn’t very good. Flea was distracting. Kumail felt out of place. Benny Safdie though… :thumbsup:

Artman 05-27-22 12:33 AM

Yeah, I'd say these met my modest expectations. Alderaan looks incredible, even though I'm not crazy about that plot point it was nice to see more of it.

Looks like most of the marketing focused on the first two episodes, so I'm hoping things pick up going forward.

Mike86 05-27-22 12:45 AM

Only watched the first episode so far. It was pretty good I would say. A bit on the slow side but I’m sure that was kind of intentional to start things off.

Not sure how I’m feeling about the whole Leia has been kidnapped plot either. I guess it makes sense as a way to draw Obi-Wan out of hiding. We’ll see how the rest of the episodes play out.

I do like that Obi-Wan has to deal with PTSD over what happened in the past and with Anakin. Also definitely cool to see more of the raid on the Jedi Temple by the 501st.

Probably won’t get a chance to watch the second episode for a few days because I’ll be leaving town and internet isn’t great where I’m going.

DJariya 05-27-22 01:41 AM

Well, I liked the 1st 2 episodes. IMO, it's already off to a better start than Boba Fett. I like what Deborah Chow has done so far. Really good job re-setting up this world. And yes the production design is incredible, especially the 2nd episode. I seem to recall they filmed some of this in the UK, unlike Mandalorian and Boba Fett, which is filmed entirely in Los Angeles. It felt bigger to me.

Yes, the 1st episode set things up and was a little slower, but we're being re-introduced back with Obi-Wan, who we haven't seen in years and he's still troubled by failing Anakin.

Episode 2 moved things forward with the rescue of Leia and allowing her and Obi-Wan to connect. And I thought the pacing was good. Some of the episodes of Boba Fett were IMO poorly paced. I liked the little girl. She had some personality and sass. I had forgotten they were bringing back Jimmy Smits from the prequel trilogy as well.

I agree that Flea wasn't very good. Kind of weird casting him when he's not even known as an actor.

candyrocket786 05-27-22 03:39 AM

Christ..... this is the best they can do when it comes to casting.? That Jedi on the run was just plain horrible. Flea and the dude from Silicon Valley?

I don't really give two shits about the Third Sister's obsession with Kenobi. Honestly, with what we know of the Inquisitors ( from Rebels) she just seems out of place..

Josh-da-man 05-27-22 08:15 AM

I have to say I liked it a lot. It's up there with Rogue One for me, and hopefully surpasses it in the next four episodes. Everything about this just felt right, unlike so much of the Disney-era Star Wars content.

Funny, I was thinking that the lead kidnapper looked a lot like Flea, and then saw his name in the credits. rotfl

Artman 05-27-22 08:40 AM

Woke up a little more negative on it, but I'll give them another watch.

Inquisitors - all terrible so far.
Flashbacks directly taken from the prequels was just lazy.
A transport from Tatooine just happens to be going to the planet we need to go to? Simply have Obi-Wan take his own ship. (whether it's one he had hidden or acquires)
Too much time spent on chase/running scenes (Leia and Reva) - when the episodes are this short it's frustrating feeling like time is being wasted.

dex14 05-27-22 08:47 AM

Regardless of being a bit underwhelmed, I still will reserve judgement until I've seen all 6 in full.

Mike86 05-27-22 08:54 AM

I kind of wonder if they dropped the first two episodes at once because it starts slow. I’m guessing (hoping) that the really good stuff is still coming. I didn’t think the first episode was bad, but it definitely was slower paced and setting the stage for the story the season is going to tell.

dex14 05-27-22 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14110103)
I kind of wonder if they dropped the first two episodes at once because it starts slow. I’m guessing (hoping) that the really good stuff is still coming. I didn’t think the first episode was bad, but it definitely was slower paced and setting the stage for the story the season is going to tell.

Yup. I think they wanted to get to the Vader reveal at the end. Basically, they just gave us act 1 of a long movie.

hdtv00 05-27-22 10:20 AM

"I don't really give two shits about the Third Sister's obsession with Kenobi. Honestly, with what we know of the Inquisitors ( from Rebels) she just seems out of place.."
"Inquisitors - all terrible so far."

Yep both those two things are the only real thing that bugged me. Least the Grand one is gone now lol. But for whatever reason I hate everything about every one of the Inquisitors they're just dreadfully bad. I think the acting for each of them is awful.

Why So Blu? 05-27-22 10:36 AM

Just finished watching both episodes and I like it enough -- it's better than Boba Fett so far, but the Third Sister is fucking awful. Such a bad actor when she starts talking. She's good in the action scenes but when she starts talking - the line delivery is beyond stilted.

Tom Banjo 05-27-22 10:56 AM

Maybe I’m too easy to please but I thought it was great so far. The girl playing Leia is perfect.
The Temuera Morrison cameo was unexpected but cool. Sad, though, since the galaxy has got to be full of discarded clones.
So is it safe to assume the black girl youngling from the flashback to the Jedi Temple is Third Sister?

Josh-da-man 05-27-22 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by hdtv00 (Post 14110145)
Least the Grand one is gone now lol.

Unless they've decanonized Rebels, or it's a different Grand Inquisitor, he's still alive.

joe_b 05-27-22 11:23 AM

Little Leia looked more like a six-year-old than a ten-year-old. At least the actress's line delivery wasn't super cringe.

I too was annoyed by Kumail and Flea showing up, but at least it was nice to see Jimmy Smits again. I wonder if they even tried getting the original actress back for Queen Breha (Rebecca Jackson Mendoza). Granted, she was only in one shot in Revenge of the Sith and we never heard the character speak, but the actress replacing her did a good job.

I hope they managed to get Portman in this somehow... even as just a voice in Vader's head.