Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S1E03) -- "Ghosts of Illyria” -- 5/19/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S1E03) -- "Ghosts of Illyria” -- 5/19/22

Old 05-23-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,010 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S1E03) -- "Ghosts of Illyria” -- 5/19/22

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
From what I recall Scotty on TNG was the first person capable of storing people in the pattern buffer long term, and he was the only one to survive by sheer luck. He said something about cellular degeneration or something like that.
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Scotty tied his into a diagnostic system so it was constantly being checked for errors.

It did seem a little bit of a stretch but they at least tried to explain it a bit by saying he had to bring her out regularly. And it can help explain why he’s not CMO later on in TOS, if he gets in trouble with Starfleet.

And I have to say that I don’t have as much of a problem with this type of canon bending in the service of a good story point as opposed to how Discovery started out of the gate looking like a TNG era ship, having the wrong uniforms and the whole mycelial network thing.

It would have been so much simpler to have it set post TNG and it would have been accepted so much easier.
I was being sarcastic and making a point that yes...even "Old Trek SNW" will do so called "New Trek Shit" .

But at the same time, I don't want THIS Doctor to be doin' stupid shit that makes him look bad.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-23-22 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-23-22, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

One thing I have noticed is there is a lot less chatter for SNW. The posts go for 2 to 3 pages tops then moves on. I'm happy that folks are happy with SNW; and I'm guessing that the lack of chatter has a lot to do with there not being a need for folks to incessantly whine, bitch, and moan every week about what they hate or don't understand which is good. The simplistic and episodic story lines thus far of SNW seem to help...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-23-22 at 02:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 517 Likes on 380 Posts

"Case of the week" shows generally have much less to discuss since there's no speculation about what will happen next. But yeah, not much to complain/criticize about in SNW so far. Classic Trek stories; so far so good.
Old 05-23-22, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 733 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
One thing I have noticed is there is a lot less chatter for SNW. The posts go for 2 to 3 pages tops then moves on. I'm happy that folks are happy with SNW; and I'm guessing that the lack of chatter has a lot to do with there not being a need for folks to incessantly whine, bitch, and moan every week about what they hate or don't understand which is good. The simplistic and episodic story lines thus far of SNW seem to help...
Well the nice thing about an episodic format is there's a pretty good chance that whatever annoyance comes up probably won't even be talked about next week because they'll be on to some other catastrophe. Unlike some of the other series where you know when something comes up you are probably along for a long long ride you don't even care to be on.
Old 05-23-22, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Well the nice thing about an episodic format is there's a pretty good chance that whatever annoyance comes up probably won't even be talked about next week because they'll be on to some other catastrophe.
Fair enough

Unlike some of the other series where you know when something comes up you are probably along for a long long ride you don't even care to be on.

Well, lots of use do care and enjoy the long long ride on other shows. Again, the fact there is a type of Trek for everyone now is a Great Thing. Want light simple episodic stories? Here you go (SNW) Want longer story lines or a little Darker stories? Here you go (Discovery). No one has to feel left out anymore.

It's funny how DIVERSITY in Trek works out that way...
Old 05-23-22, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

It's funny how DIVERSITY in Trek works out that way...
Wasn't it you moaning around here as to why people don't like Discovery? Diversity works that way also doesn't it? Or do I have to like Burnham and Discovery for "Other reasons"?

Anyhow l completely agree that right now none of that really matters anymore because there's plenty of trek to go around depending on what you like. But I ask that you consider that before SNW we basically had Lower Decks (which is awesome but not a real full Star Trek live action series) and Orville (which isn't really trek at all) and there really was no diversity out there to choose from. That's why this is such a breath of fresh air for those that prefer the episodic format over the "Soap Opera in Space" format.
Old 05-23-22, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 353 Posts

Three episodes in and I'm finding myself caring about these characters and enjoying their adventures. Funny how little things like that make for a successful show

Q: was the Federation ban on genetic augmentation established canon or is this something new?
tanman (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 608 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
i want that jacket.
I do too! But would we look as good as Anson Mount in it? Certainly not in my case.

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
One thing that bugged me in this episode was the claim that the virus traveled on light. Given what light is, that's just an absurd idea. I know Star Trek from the beginning has frequently had outlandish ideas but nuTrek writers again and again seems to not know the difference between scientific believability (the basis of sci-fi) and pure magic.
Warp 10 barrier anyone?

Scotty tied his into a diagnostic system so it was constantly being checked for errors.

It did seem a little bit of a stretch but they at least tried to explain it a bit by saying he had to bring her out regularly. And it can help explain why he’s not CMO later on in TOS, if he gets in trouble with Starfleet.

And I have to say that I don’t have as much of a problem with this type of canon bending in the service of a good story point as opposed to how Discovery started out of the gate looking like a TNG era ship, having the wrong uniforms and the whole mycelial network thing.

It would have been so much simpler to have it set post TNG and it would have been accepted so much easier.
I really don't understand why they had to put STD in TOS timeline. I think they were just jumping on the bandwagon of the Kelvin timeline. But the great thing is we got SNW because of it!

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Three episodes in and I'm finding myself caring about these characters and enjoying their adventures. Funny how little things like that make for a successful show

Q: was the Federation ban on genetic augmentation established canon or is this something new?
IKR? Amazing how far a little character development and competent writing can go.

I'm pretty sure they established the federation ban on genetic augmentation since Space Seed the TOS Khan episode. But it's come up here and there notably with Dr. Bashir and his secretly being genetically modified despite a strict federation ban.
Old 05-23-22, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this was the weakest episode so far. Not a bad episode by any means. The whole episode made it seem like I should know what an Illyrian is but I have no idea who they are. So the big reveal that Una is Illyrian kinda fell flat. I guess it was meant more to open the door for other conflict and plot lines.

I'll definitely be rewatching these episodes.
Old 05-23-22, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Yes. There was a whole arc on Deep Space Nine about it when Dr. Bashir is revealed to have been genetically augmented by his parents when he was a child. This plotline was featured in the episode "Doctor Bashir, I Presume" and referenced in later episodes.
Old 05-24-22, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wasn't it you moaning around here as to why people don't like Discovery? Diversity works that way also doesn't it? Or do I have to like Burnham and Discovery for "Other reasons"?
Did I trigger you Son? Clearly I'm talking about diverse trek shows in terms of different styles. A whole ass paragraph laying that out preceded that part.

Anyhow l completely agree that right now none of that really matters anymore because there's plenty of trek to go around depending on what you like. But I ask that you consider that before SNW we basically had Lower Decks (which is awesome but not a real full Star Trek live action series) and Orville (which isn't really trek at all) and there really was no diversity out there to choose from. That's why this is such a breath of fresh air for those that prefer the episodic format over the "Soap Opera in Space" format.
Sure. Stop with the "Real Trek" shit already. IT'S ALL REAL TREK. Some of the same folks yall were shittin' on for Discovery are making SNW. Be thankful.
Old 05-24-22, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,052 Likes on 795 Posts

Some of the same folks yall were shittin' on for Discovery are making SNW. Be thankful.
And some of those folks are aware of the valid criticisms of Disco: the serialized stories and the lack of growth for the secondary crew. Even Akiva Goldsman, when he was brought on to Disco, thought it was going to be closer to what SNW has turned out to be. He pushed to make this show happen in this format and tone.
tanman (05-25-22)
Old 05-24-22, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Sure. Stop with the "Real Trek" shit already. IT'S ALL REAL TREK. Some of the same folks yall were shittin' on for Discovery are making SNW. Be thankful.
By the power vested in me by being the runner up in the Star Trek 30th (I think) Anniversary Creation Convention trivia contest in Pasadena.. I declare TOS, TNG, Voyager, Lower Decks, and SNW to be Star Trek. Everything else isn't. Enterprise was .. until the stupid Xindi arc. TAS probably was but I didn't like it (putting Prodigy in the same bucket).

All that aside I am truly happy about all the Trek available to whomever but not on that the people who are still into it. For a while there was that long lull and Star Wars was surging and I was a little concerned it would kind of go by the wayside. Well.. it's certainly back with a vengeance with whatever anyone prefers and I'm glad.

Here was my missed trivia question. What was mounted directly above the fireplace in Admiral Kirk's apartment at Starfleet Headquarters in TWOK?

I had absolutely no idea. I didn't even know what to guess so I said "Yoda" which got a good response.
tanman (05-25-22)
Old 05-25-22, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 262 Likes on 187 Posts

Put me in the camp that felt this was a weak episode. I watched TOS back a million years ago, TNG, and Voyager but DS9 was not a draw, I've found Discovery/Burman unwatchable and Picard was OK. I liked the first two epispodes but this one felt a bit campy. not sure it was meant to be more of an homage to TOS but the plot seemed thin and not investigating the light beings after the storm was sort of mindboggling. ( I aslo find a fireplace on a starship to be an odd choice too.)
Old 05-25-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My favorite series are:
TOS
TNG
DS9 (loved it, but I'm a Babylon 5 fan)
Voyager

Star Trek's biggest problem (until Discovery and Picard) was they didn't know how to do a finale. Thankfully, TOS escaped that since it was cancelled and went on to become legend.

SNW may well end up ranking high in Trek canon. It's just a little early to be celebrating. Have loved it so far. The last ep was a bit weak, but not bad. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
​​​​​​
Old 05-25-22, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And some of those folks are aware of the valid criticisms of Disco: the serialized stories and the lack of growth for the secondary crew. Even Akiva Goldsman, when he was brought on to Disco, thought it was going to be closer to what SNW has turned out to be. He pushed to make this show happen in this format and tone.

Yeah, that was my point.. Sooooo. I'm glad yall felt "heard" and can have at least one Trek show that fits your needs.
Old 05-25-22, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

By the power vested in me by being the runner up in the Star Trek 30th (I think) Anniversary Creation Convention trivia contest in Pasadena.. I declare TOS, TNG, Voyager, Lower Decks, and SNW to be Star Trek. Everything else isn't. Enterprise was .. until the stupid Xindi arc. TAS probably was but I didn't like it (putting Prodigy in the same bucket).
[Bones]Dammit Man![/Bones]

All that aside I am truly happy about all the Trek available to whomever but not on that the people who are still into it. For a while there was that long lull and Star Wars was surging and I was a little concerned it would kind of go by the wayside. Well.. it's certainly back with a vengeance with whatever anyone prefers and I'm glad.
Old 05-25-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by leeta View Post
Star Trek's biggest problem (until Discovery and Picard) was they didn't know how to do a finale.
If you got a problem with "All Good Things..." you got a problem with me, and I suggest you let that one marinate.
Old 05-25-22, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,052 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
If you got a problem with "All Good Things..." you got a problem with me, and I suggest you let that one marinate.
All Good Things was awesome. They should have left it there, instead of four films of wildly varying quality and the last one being utterly insulting to the characters.
Old 05-25-22, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay... It had been forever since I watched it
​and I had the time, so after your comment, I rewatched and it was good. Heartwarming homage to the characters and a chance to see them in the future, with a reminder of how they started out. It had probably been twenty years since I saw it last.

However, the following Trek's finales became increasingly worse. DS9's was kind of bad, Voyager's was awful and Enterprise's was horrendous.

One good one out of four is a poor track record.
Old 05-25-22, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite SNG episode of all time is the one where Picard experiences an entire lifetime as the resident of a planet whose sun is about to go nova. It was very moving and stuck with me.

Old 05-25-22, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

My favorite SNG episode of all time is the one where Picard experiences an entire lifetime as the resident of a planet whose sun is about to go nova. It was very moving and stuck with me.
Yeah that was "The inner light". Excellent episode. Written by an outsider and actually got the name from the flip side of the Lady Madonna Beatles 45 rpm record.
tanman (05-26-22)
Old 05-25-22, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,157 Posts

"All Good Things" was very good, but it had a massive logic hole.

In the future, when they got to the "anomaly" it wasn't there, and then appeared when they scanned for it.

Since it was expanding backwards through time, it should have been tiny and then disappeared when they scanned it instead of appearing later. From their perspective, it should have been shrinking and then vanish after they created it.

Old 05-26-22, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Star Trek's biggest problem (until Discovery and Picard) was they didn't know how to do a finale.
​​​​​​
Okay... It had been forever since I watched it
​and I had the time, so after your comment, I rewatched and it was good. Heartwarming homage to the characters and a chance to see them in the future, with a reminder of how they started out. It had probably been twenty years since I saw it last.

However, the following Trek's finales became increasingly worse. DS9's was kind of bad, Voyager's was awful and Enterprise's was horrendous.

One good one out of four is a poor track record.
What are you even talking about? ST shows have some of the best series finales. All Good Things is just a wonderful ending tying in the very first episode with Q and showing what the possible futures of the crew could be. DS9 was another excellent series finale with the surprising and bitter sweet ending with Sisko ascending and that very last shot of Kira with Jake looking longingly at the wormhole is a great ending to that series. Voyager is little controversial because they kind of did the episode backwards with the celebration of voyager coming home happening at the beginning and then dealing with the borg with no wrap up at the end of the episode. Everyone gets upset at the Enterprise ending but I see the series finale to be more of a bonus episode and tying up the TNG era of Trek. The true series finale IMHO is the episode directly before and it ties up the series quite nicely. Even the last episode is a decent send off for the crew it just feels hollow when you find out it's just Troi and Riker reminiscing about the Enterprise crew so it feels wrong.

All Good Things was awesome. They should have left it there, instead of four films of wildly varying quality and the last one being utterly insulting to the characters.
Hard disagree. We would never have seen Data get his emotions chip. Never seen Troi and Riker finally getting together. Never would have even seen the Enterprise E. Never would have gotten First Contact which I think is in the discussion for the best Star Trek film of all time. I just really wish it didn't end with Nemesis. It was such a terrible send off for the TNG crew. Should have gotten one more movie to wrap things up. Contrast that with the Undiscovered Country which was a fantastic send off for the TOS crew. Ending it with Nemesis I think would have been as if the Final Frontier was the last movie for the TOS crew. It's a terrible movie but since we still got the Undiscovered Country after that it's not so bad.

The Inner Light is one of the finest hours of TV period IMHO. And I think one of the rare examples of a Star Trek episode that could be watched and appreciated by someone with absolutely zero knowledge of anything Star Trek.
Old 06-09-22, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 855 Likes on 699 Posts

Kinda fell behind on the show but watched this episode tonight. Not bad, but I would say of the three I’ve watched it was probably the weakest one.

I generally like the types of episodes where there’s some weird outbreak on board the ship, but this just wasn’t all that interesting or entertaining. Plus Pike and Spock were really sidelined.

The reveals about Number One and La’an just felt thrown in. Maybe they’ll come into play more later.

Hopefully I’ll catch up with the rest of the season soon.
tanman (06-10-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.